The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Did you guys notice SCORPIO?

bigray

It wasn't SCORPIO.

Remember that "she" has a heuristic directive to self-improve upon previous iterations. And, her "model" of droids appears to be ancient, as indicated in KOTFE.

I think that it is possible that it could have been as much SCORPIO as any random droid. Is Starkiller Base a homage to The Force Unleashed or to Bendak Starkiller the duelist from Taris in KOTOR 1? Or both?

EDIT:

It was literally the first thing in my mind the moment I saw that red droid in the cantina on my very first viewing of the movie. If so many other people recognize the same, it can't be a coincidence

Edited by phalczen

Remember that "she" has a heuristic directive to self-improve upon previous iterations. And, her "model" of droids appears to be ancient, as indicated in KOTFE.

I think that it is possible that it could have been as much SCORPIO as any random droid. Is Starkiller Base a homage to The Force Unleashed or to Bendak Starkiller the duelist from Taris in KOTOR 1? Or both?

EDIT:

It was literally the first thing in my mind the moment I saw that red droid in the cantina on my very first viewing of the movie. If so many other people recognize the same, it can't be a coincidence

The droid looked more like that assassin droid that was part of the bounty hunters guild than it did scorpio..And starkiller is a reference to the original name of the skywalker family before lucas changed it

Neither all of them are rather a homage to the rough drafts of the original star wars.

The droid looked more like that assassin droid that was part of the bounty hunters guild than it did scorpio..And starkiller is a reference to the original name of the skywalker family before lucas changed it

I didn't see anything that looked like IG-88 or 4-LOM

Also

Thank you for reminding me about that name, still, its paying homage whether paying it to original draft, or to the EU that first paid homage to the original draft. Not that I expect many nods to SWTOR, but he obviously knows it exists since he had to approve the "Sacrifice" trailer.

In Kanata's cantina ... I'm telling you, there's a robot that is a dead ringer for SCORPIO. Shows up again during the attack, standing outside. Old Republic tie-in confirmed.

It/she does have the a resemblance to SCORPIO and Gemini Units SPOILER PIC

but we also know that they resemble the metropolis Maria robot so it could be an homage to that.

Edited by davidrodriguezjr
pic

I did think that was SCORPIO among the cantina patrons, but I'm still not sure (certainly a droid that vaguely resembles her base model among the crowd).

Is Starkiller Base a homage to The Force Unleashed or to Bendak Starkiller the duelist from Taris in KOTOR 1? Or both?

In universe, it could be a reference that it uses stars to power the weapon it houses, and the fact that it can destroy entire solar systems.

I did think that was SCORPIO among the cantina patrons, but I'm still not sure (certainly a droid that vaguely resembles her base model among the crowd).

In universe, it could be a reference that it uses stars to power the weapon it houses, and the fact that it can destroy entire solar systems.

Look at my post above has a picture of it.

Edited by davidrodriguezjr

Not to spoil anyone's fun, but isn't SCORPIO an obvious tribute to the android Maria from Metropolis? C3PO's design was a already a nod to that android, but SCORPIO looks even more like her:

<image>

And, if there is a similar android in TFA, I'd find it more likely to explain that as a reference to the science fiction classic Metropolis as well, than as a link to SWTOR.

EDIT I now see that davidrodriguezjr already brought up Metropolis.

Edited by Orlogg
I saw someone else already mentioned something I said

It/she does have the a resemblance to SCORPIO and Gemini Units SPOILER PIC <--- Good picture

but we also know that they resemble the metropolis Maria robot so it could be an homage to that.

You mean ME-8D9? The background and appearance do allow her to be SCORPIO, I would say.

http://www.starwars.com/databank/me-8d9

Not to spoil anyone's fun, but isn't SCORPIO an obvious tribute to the android Maria from Metropolis? C3PO's design was a already a nod to that android, but SCORPIO looks even more like her:

<image>

And, if there is a similar android in TFA, I'd find it more likely to explain that as a reference to the science fiction classic Metropolis as well, than as a link to SWTOR.

EDIT I now see that davidrodriguezjr already brought up Metropolis.

Well pack your bags because this thread ended.

ME-8D9

An ancient protocol droid of unknown manufacture, ME-8D9 has been a fixture at Maz’s castle on Takodana for many years. Pirates and smugglers often ask Emmie to serve as a translator for their shady negotiations. The droid has been reprogrammed numerous times, and her original purpose is unclear. She’s known to have served as an assassin, and some whisper that she began her long mechanical life with the Jedi Order.

Edited by Falensawino

• 3 months later...