The Force Awakens: You have to go see this movie!

DeLaaNie

I don't think it feels detached to those who loved the movies but never actually cared to check out the EU.

So in Episode 6 they had a whole fleet, as the rebellion, but now they only have a handful of X-Wings and a small little hidden base?

Where is the Republic? What happened to the Empire? Where did this new "big bad enemy" come from?

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

she did have good training with a staff, so replace that with a lightsaber and there you go.. She obviously heard of old jedi mind tricks because she knew of luke skywalker. She is strong with the force, likely luke's and another force users kid..

Yea, and I get that... but there is a world of difference between "being skilled with the force" and kicking the big bad's butt within a day...

It took years and years of training for Luke to be able to face Vader. But yes, she is probably Luke's daughter... as for the mother, can we PLEASE have Mara Jade. :D

The question is, if we DO have Mara Jade as the mother in the next movie, who would you cast to play her?

So in Episode 6 they had a whole fleet, as the rebellion, but now they only have a handful of X-Wings and a small little hidden base?

Where is the Republic? What happened to the Empire? Where did this new "big bad enemy" come from?

I actually agree with this being a misstep by the movie - not giving us enough context for why we're focusing on the Resistance instead of the Republic is one of the main things I've criticized when asked "what could it have done better?"

But what I don't get is how is that script problem honestly ruining the whole movie for anyone? On balance it really didn't seem like that big of a deal.

------

While I enjoyed the movie a lot, I do have to say that I find it somewhat silly how many people here seem to be taking personal offense at the idea that some people didn't like it. :rolleyes:

Edited by DarthDymond

I get critical thinking isnt taught in schools anymore, but try using your brain to type out a meaningful critique. If familiar characters, narrative beats, a hero's journey, family drama etc dont make it feel like a star wars movie, I dont know what to say.

I've given up trying to argue with the people here, very few seem to even understand the basics of what Star Wars is, they're too busy trying to pretend they are genius writers and film directors that could all do better but just don't feel like it right now. Well, apart from the ones that seem to despise the world around them and rail against the concept of anyone actually enjoying anything.

What makes me (thankfully) laugh at the end of the day is they all think they are being cool and edgy, rather than just pathetic sheep.

It would have been much more interesting to see the Republic back, with Leia as Chanclor, Luke as head of a new Jedi order, and Han doing what he does best, but doing it for the Republic and Leia...

Then having one of Luke's students (or one of Leia's kids) go bad and they have to deal with that, taking all 3 movies to get a resolution to that problem.

As it stands, the new movie feels completely detached to the world we knew, there might as well have never been a Republic or an Empire in Episode 7.

Honestly I think this movie serves as a set up to 8. They are just world and character building in this one. I think we get the meat of the story in 8. It does feel like A new hope but it did its job setting up the characters. And I think some of the things will be explained in future books in the new canon which sucks for non die hard star wars fans.

Honestly I think this movie serves as a set up to 8. They are just world and character building in this one. I think we get the meat of the story in 8. It does feel like A new hope but it did its job setting up the characters. And I think some of the things will be explained in future books in the new canon which sucks for non die hard star wars fans.

That would be fine, if this were the first Star Wars movie...

But it just tosses out the first 6 movies... We don't NEED world building, we already have that. In many respects, this movie is much like KotFE, it just tosses out everything you know and inserts new stuff in its place.

I just didn't find any reason to care about anyone in the movie... Other than Han of course... The rest could be tossed out.

Bioware aren't the only ones rehashing old content. One thing that I must know is why does a "heroes journey" always have to start on a desert world? I get the concept of coming from humble beginnings but seriously it's as though they aren't even trying. Lets be honest Jakku is Tatooine with another name. I won't go into the rest of ripping off they have done from the previous films (others have done that in spoilers) but its really "A new hope" reboot. I personally quite enjoyed it although I certainly understand why others didn't.

Its a well made movie but it lacks any form of originality for me to like it. Everything has been seen before and that why it is probably my least favorite movie, I even like the prequels more. You can find lots of things prequels did wrong like some of the dialogue is cringe worthy, they rely too much on CGI, etc., but they have shown another side of the Star Wars universe and they are at least original. I have no problem in making some of the scenes similar to the the old movies to bring the nostalgia back, but the whole movie is basically just copy paste of Ep. IV.

Rey and Finn are decent characters and they have shown they have charisma unlike Kylo Ren. Kylo was interesting in the first 30 mins and he felt like a really powerful character. Then he showed his face and everything went downhill. There was no more mystery behind him and with his dumb looking face he was no longer terrifying. And it seems he became weaker as the movie went off. Got beaten by someone who never had any real training. His master on the other hand seems like a good character, mysterious and powerful.

Good movie but a bad Star Wars movie imo. Maybe I was just to hyped and got dissapointed by any form of originailty. Hope the next movies will at least show something new.

Edited by xeqtoRDoom

I'm so glad I'm not part of the 'too cool to be excited about anything' generation.

Oh yes, you must feel all good and fuzzy inside when you type snotty ''this generation'' comments. :rolleyes:

I've given up trying to argue with the people here, very few seem to even understand the basics of what Star Wars is, they're too busy trying to pretend they are genius writers and film directors that could all do better but just don't feel like it right now. Well, apart from the ones that seem to despise the world around them and rail against the concept of anyone actually enjoying anything.

What makes me (thankfully) laugh at the end of the day is they all think they are being cool and edgy, rather than just pathetic sheep.

The good old ''if you don't like it go make a better one'' fallacy. :rolleyes:

You will notice that almost everyone that didn't like the movie is an avid Star Wars fan and well versed in the EU. This means that their opinions are pretty much the ones that matter most. And no, they don't despise the world around them , they just despise a bad Star Wars movie.

If you are too butthurt because not everybody loves your precious little movie or share your opinion, you are gonna have a bad time.

Edited by Kaedusz

Episode 7 is in one way fan service pure, because they find a way to include the old heros and have a typical Star Wars plot, regarding the old trilogy, to avoid dissappointments in a big way, so that the new trilogy will not be ruin it before it get realy started.

Tsillah hit the nail with his post:

To me this movie makes Star Wars alive again in our current day world and I think JJ Abrams has done a tremendous job balancing all the different types of Star Wars fans out there. There will always be people who aren't happy but that can't be helped. If you see the full context of what type of expectations he was up against, perhaps he played it safe, but I think if he'd gone off to a totally new story line right away with very little links to the old story, I firmly believe a ton of people would've been spewing their bile all over the internet about how it wasn't a Star Wars movie.

Better that some people, who apparently missed a lot of undertones and nudges in the storyline, call it a carbon copy of on older Star Wars movie that many people loved and still do, than that tons of people are upset that it's not really Star Wars, because that's the sort of decisions I think they were up against.

BUT, storywise it makes the old trilogy looks very silly and for that it kind of ruin all the character and story building of these movies.

Episode 4 is called "A New Hope". What kind of hope was at the end redeemed with Luke Skywalker brings his father turns to the light side again so called "The Return of the Jedi" in Episode 6?

30 years from the battle of Endor the whole Star Wars Universe turned into a failed universe. The new Republic still have no regular troops like the Old Republic, but now they have instead not even a jedi order who keep the galaxy save.

Luke Skywalker, the hope of all hopes didn´t even manage to train his own sister (which was seen as the second hope) her force abilities (it really doesn´t look like Leia becomes a Jedi after all and at least she is not on the "we have to kill all jedi list" of the first order). Not to mention that he could not train one single padawan in two decades (!), before he failed with Ben Solo.

Wow, what an impressive "Return of the Jedi" we see after 30 years. Still we just got one Jedi in person of Luke Skywalker.

What he was fighting for again? Ah yes, to end the civil war and defeat the emperor . Well the emperor is history, but everything else totally **** up. The Empire was a stable military dictatorship which replace the Old Republic. Not nice for the ones who try to fight it, but the rest of the Galaxy seems to could deal with it. What we have now 30 years later? An Empire 2.0 called "the first order", but without having an empire. They are become now a kind of a Space Islamic State (IS) who are killing as much people as they can, just because they are able to kill as much people as they can.

Referring to Obi Wan Kenobi who talking about the "Dark Time" when he was talking about the empire, you must think after watching episode 7, that these "Dark Times" was not really quite dark, compared to what we have now.

Kylo Ren wants to finish what Darth Vader started? I can´t remember Darth Vader starting anything. From the beginning he was just a replaceable henchman of Darth Sidious, who prefer to throw them away when a younger version come around (see what happen to Count Dooku and what should happen with Vader).

We saw Anakin Skywalker allready as a force ghost beside Yoda and Obi-Wan. I guess there are more practical ways to use this power than to be a "special guest" on a victory party on Endor.

So isn´t it too unrealistic that Anakins force ghost appears in front of Kylo Ren to tell him, if he REALLY wants to go in his grandfathers footsteps, he should kick the *** of Snoke like he did it with the emperor?

Let´s face it. "Return of Jedi" fulfilled the prophecy that the choosen one aka Anakin Skywalker brings balance to the force when he killed finally the emperor and with him the last sith. It was a perfect happy ending of a story started 36 years ago (in the timeline of Star Wars).

Nobody would think of to come up with a sequel from Lord Of The Rings, where they have to destroy now a mystical new forgotten ring.

Just because Star Wars was such a huge success since decades with the old and the new trilogy, there have to be way to create a new trilogy where you see Harrison Ford, Mark Hamil and Carrie Fisher again to make the fans happy. But as you the see with the critics I bring up with the story, it is nearly impossible to write a decent story which fit in the storyline of the old movies.

Wondering what George Lucas vision was for the new trilogy.

At least, when a prophecy is fulfilled, it is fulfilled. When a war is over, a war is over. When a story is told, it is told.

To tell new storys in the Star Wars universe, you can make a step back, like they do it now with the Anthology Series. Or you make a complete remake of the core story Episode 4 to 6 with a different setting and tell the story in a different way again. People watch James Bond since the 60s, Batman and Superman on cinema got a refresh version from time to time, same now with Spiderman.

The problem with the Star Wars franchise is, that the fans from the first hour wants to see their old heros again on screen, even when they just a accessories to pass the baton to the next generation. And you can get this only when you make a sequel for a story, where a sequel don´t make sence at all, because it won´t work with the previous storytelling.

Nevertheless, when you want to have a good time with a movie plays in the Star Wars universe, or just only a big budget space fantasy story, the movie entertain a lot, because of his characters and his humor and his great pictures. But it can´t bring back the old magic again, because this story is allready told.

Edited by Goologne

BUT, storywise it makes the old trilogy looks very silly and for that it kind of ruin all the character and story building of these movies.

Episode 4 is called "A New Hope". What kind of hope was at the end redeemed with Luke Skywalker brings his father turns to the light side again so called "The Return of the Jedi" in Episode 6?

30 years from the battle of Endor the whole Star Wars Universe turned into a failed universe. The new Republic still have no regular troops like the Old Republic, but now they have instead not even a jedi order who keep the galaxy save.

Luke Skywalker, the hope of all hopes didn´t even manage to train his own sister (which was seen as the second hope) her force abilities (it really doesn´t look like Leia becomes a Jedi after all and at least she is not on the "we have to kill all jedi list" of the first order). Not to mention that he could not train one single padawan in two decades (!), before he failed with Ben Solo.

Wow, what an impressive "Return of the Jedi" we see after 30 years. Still we just got one Jedi in person of Luke Skywalker.

What he was fighting for again? Ah yes, to end the civil war and defeat the emperor . Well the emperor is history, but everything else totally **** up. The Empire was a stable military dictatorship which replace the Old Republic. Not nice for the ones who try to fight it, but the rest of the Galaxy seems to could deal with it. What we have now 30 years later? An Empire 2.0 called "the first order", but without having an empire. They are become now a kind of a Space Islamic State (IS) who are killing as much people as they can, just because they are able to kill as much people as they can.

Referring to Obi Wan Kenobi who talking about the "Dark Time" when he was talking about the empire, you must think after watching episode 7, that these "Dark Times" was not really quite dark, compared to what we have now.

Kylo Ren wants to finish what Darth Vader started? I can´t remember Darth Vader starting anything. From the beginning he was just a replaceable henchman of Darth Sidious, who prefer to throw them away when a younger version come around (see what happen to Count Dooku and what should happen with Vader).

We saw Anakin Skywalker allready as a force ghost beside Yoda and Obi-Wan. I guess there are more practical ways to use this power than to be a "special guest" on a victory party on Endor.

So isn´t it too unrealistic that Anakins force ghost appears in front of Kylo Ren to tell him, if he REALLY wants to go in his grandfathers footsteps, he should kick the *** of Snoke like he did it with the emperor?

Let´s face it. "Return of Jedi" fulfilled the prophecy that the choosen one aka Anakin Skywalker brings balance to the force when he killed finally the emperor and with him the last sith. It was a perfect happy ending of a story started 36 years ago (in the timeline of Star Wars).

Nobody would think of to come up with a sequel from Lord Of The Rings, where they have to destroy now a mystical new forgotten ring.

Just because Star Wars was such a huge success since decades with the old and the new trilogy, there have to be way to create a new trilogy where you see Harrison Ford, Mark Hamil and Carrie Fisher again to make the fans happy. But as you the see with the critics I bring up with the story, it is nearly impossible to write a decent story which fit in the storyline of the old movies.

Wondering what George Lucas vision was for the new trilogy.

At least, when a prophecy is fulfilled, it is fulfilled. When a war is over, a war is over. When a story is told, it is told.

To tell new storys in the Star Wars universe, you can make a step back, like they do it now with the Anthology Series. Or you make a complete remake of the core story Episode 4 to 6 with a different setting and tell the story in a different way again. People watch James Bond since the 60s, Batman and Superman on cinema got a refresh version from time to time, same now with Spiderman.

The problem with the Star Wars franchise is, that the fans from the first hour wants to see their old heros again on screen, even when they just a accessories to pass the baton to the next generation. And you can get this only when you make a sequel for a story, where a sequel don´t make sence at all, because it won´t work with the previous storytelling.

Nevertheless, when you want to have a good time with a movie plays in the Star Wars universe, or just only a big budget space fantasy story, the movie entertain a lot, because of his characters and his humor and his great pictures. But it can´t bring back the old magic again, because this story is allready told.

Ok you had a lot in there, but you seem to be saying that for the Original Trilogy to be any good, the Star Wars universe had to have a fairy tale ending. Luke and co. had to fix the galaxy for good.

They did succeed. The New Republic and the Galactic Concords brought peace to the galaxy. Luke was training a whole new generation of the Jedi. However like always the dark side (evil) comes back. Cycles are a big theme in Star Wars. Balance did come to the Force but it didn't stay because it never does. Malgus' quote about the Force being conflict has a strong seed of truth. Well perhaps better to say the Forces is always in conflict.

Oh yes, you must feel all good and fuzzy inside when you type snotty ''this generation'' comments. :rolleyes:

The good old ''if you don't like it go make a better one'' fallacy. :rolleyes:

You will notice that almost everyone that didn't like the movie is an avid Star Wars fan and well versed in the EU. This means that their opinions are pretty much the ones that matter most. And no, they don't despise the world around them , they just despise a bad Star Wars movie.

If you are too butthurt because not everybody loves your precious little movie or share your opinion, you are gonna have a bad time.

Actually why does geek cred mean you opinion matters most? Seriously if folks love the movie and honestly most do overall, does it matter if some of the hard core fans didn't like? The funny thing is a lot of hard core fans love the new movie. So let's see here it has broad critical acclaim, mainstream success, and even a good portion of the hardcore fan base love it. I would say that qualifies as a good Star Wars. Disagree? Feel free to. It doesn't matter.

In the end either like it or don't. It is and will continue to rake in tons of money and set the tone for everything Star Wars to come. If you do not like go live in the EU, there is certainly a lot of it.

Edited by divinecynic

Ok you had a lot in there, but you seem to be saying that for the Original Trilogy to be any good, the Star Wars universe had to have a fairy tale ending. Luke and co. had to fix the galaxy for good.

They did succeed. The New Republic and the Galactic Concords brought peace to the galaxy. Luke was training a whole new generation of the Jedi. However like always the dark side (evil) comes back. Cycles are a big theme in Star Wars. Balance did come to the Force but it didn't stay because it never does. Malgus' quote about the Force being conflict has a strong seed of truth. Well perhaps better to say the Forces is always in conflict.

There always was distinct difference between movies and other universe. That difference is, Lucas never cared about EU . It was there, sure, but the movies were created in a way that ignored all of the events post Ep.6. No cliff-hangers. Films existed in their own bubble.

So yes, Ep6 happy ending was, in a way, universal. It was a fairy tale, and fairy tales usually end with "happily ever after" (or "everyone dies", but let's not mix in Grimm :rak_09:). That was part of the charm. Now it's kinda taken away.

Which brings me back to Kylo Ren (the more i think about him, the more i tend to believe he is half of movie problems). He pretty much destroyes Vayder's ending, the meaning of his redemption. Kylo is the only character in the movie who even remembers Vayder at all, yet he completely ignores the MOST important part of the character, the MOST important thing he ever did. For him, Vayder is simply evil. His sacrifice was absolutely meaningless. He might just as well stayed evil to the end and die. Nothing in the Ep.7 would have changed. And it's sad.

Edited by Frenesi

Fantastic movie. Great blend of old with the new and they didnt leave out parts of the EU and when I heard things and saw things from the EU in it I was instantly loving the movie. Adam Driver plays the villain great. Completely tainted by the dark side and delivers a great performance showing his emotions getting the best of him.

It was a great movie to bring in the new era of star wars and the new trilogy. Of course there was original trilogy stuff in it because it's a continuation of Star Wars after Return of the Jedi. He had to make it as close to the original trilogy as he could to pay tribute to the fans as well as get new ones in. Great told story but I do hope that Episode 8 is more original now that the whole "omg is this going to be good" stuff is over now? Yes, it was good. Was a great movie for continuation of Star Wars. Please keep in mind guys, it's the start of tons of star wars stuff to come. The movie set it all up.

It was very nostalgic, euphoric and overall just great. Good plot, great acting, great atmosphere and goes from mysterious starts out slow to a slow buildup, then an "omg!! what NO!!!" moment in there, together with climax and then leaves you at the end with a suspenseful shot that leaves you wondering and totally has it on your mind to make you wanting to see the next movie. EXACTLY how a movie should be. Keeps you wondering, thinking and having feelings of greatness. Adam Driver plays the new villain wonderfully. He's very convincing ;)

Saw it Thursday night/Friday Morning at 1:30 am. Was awesome. Going to see it again tonight. Then Monday 3 times probably more doing the week since I'm off! I have put money aside to see this at least 15 times in the theater. I am a HUGE star wars fan and was NOT disappointed. I went all dressed up. Was so great. Chewie....we're home :') you most certainly are! :D

Edited by Sarfux

Which brings me back to Kylo Ren (the more i think about him, the more i tend to believe he is half of movie problems). He pretty much destroyes Vayder's ending, the meaning of his redemption. Kylo is the only character in the movie who even remembers Vayder at all, yet he completely ignores the MOST important part of the character, the MOST important thing he ever did. For him, Vayder is simply evil. His sacrifice was absolutely meaningless. He might just as well stayed evil to the end and die. Nothing in the Ep.7 would have changed. And it's sad.

...and now you see the problem with the "Terminator" series.

Once you get to the end of "Terminator II", Sarah Connor's monologue was all about optimism and hope. Even if you watch the alternate ending, the end of the story said, 'human beings will survive'.

Since the end of "Return of the Jedi" brought everything into balance, the existence of another Sith Lord would not make sense. Our heros have already saved the day.

"Star Wars: Episode VII" should have been about "Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic". If LucasFilms wanted to cast a female lead, the main character could have been Bastila Shan.

Yea, and I get that... but there is a world of difference between "being skilled with the force" and kicking the big bad's butt within a day...

It took years and years of training for Luke to be able to face Vader. But yes, she is probably Luke's daughter... as for the mother, can we PLEASE have Mara Jade. :D

The question is, if we DO have Mara Jade as the mother in the next movie, who would you cast to play her?

Luke's "training" consisted of a few hours en route to Alderaan and then a couple weeks at best on Degobah.

If you will remember the new emperor type flat out said that there had been an "awakening" in the force. So powerful that everyone apparently felt it. Rey is being guided by the force itself. Kylo Ren's training is not complete either, he isn't nearly a Sith Lord yet. Take note of his lightsaber. It is ugly and it malfunctions. The variation on his lightsaber (side jets) are exhaust ports because it is poorly constructed. That is why he wants Anakin/Luke's lightsaber so badly.

Edited by ekwalizer

Well glad some enjoyed but for me I seen to many times where everybody thinks it is the best thing since popcorn. Then it turns out to be crap. Since the Teddy Bear one it has been garbage so I will wait till it is on late night movies.

There always was distinct difference between movies and other universe. That difference is, Lucas never cared about EU .

I would like to say that while Lucas might not have cared much about the EU, he did have the ultimite Veto Power over anything that was written in it. (Examples of him using this include joruus c'baoth, Anakin Solo's Death, Chewie's Death, and others)

This veto power is a lot more than he has now.

Carry on!