Mail w/ Companion Items Gone

gflusche

So due to work and other issues I haven't had a chance to log in and get all the items that were mailed to me in-game after the companion revamp in KOTFE. Those mails are now gone. I'm guessing that they just timed out or returned to sender, but I'm frustrated there wasn't any warning that I HAD to log in each and every character to get my companion items or they'd be gone forever. Some characters I won't even play now because they have the no-pants bug and their pants were in the mails that disappeared.

I submitted an in-game ticket after being told by phone support that they couldn't help me, but that was 10 days ago. Has anyone else had this problem?

Oh that's just dandy..... and where was this said "warning". With 12 toons to take through stuff I only got through about 4 of them. The rest I didn't touch as I didn't want to clog up my bankspace with them.

Yet another winning move BIOFAIL..... My sub ends this month. SERIOUSLY considering unsubbing at this point. Not just for this reason... but many others.

And NO you cant have my stuff.... I want it to disappear like my companions clothes.

There was a warning - but since you couldn't be bothered to even log in, I doubt you saw it.

Wow, amazing how you can just know what I was and wasn't bothered to do. You should go on the road with that gift.

I made bank space for and got the items from the mail from 2 of my 22 characters. And yes, like the guy above this post, I'd love to see proof of this warning.

Edited by gflusche

I've played the game everyday since i returned a month or so ago, and i never saw any warning.

(i collected all my mails on my chars though)

But where was said warning??

I think it was posts here on the forums. When they updated us and said that they would be mailing out companion items, they said that we had 30 days to collect them or they would vanish.

I would agree that a post in the forums is not enough, however I've also learned the hard way to always log into all alts every 30 days, regardless of which ones I play.

Wow, amazing how you can just know what I was and wasn't bothered to do. You should go on the road with that gift.

I made bank space for and got the items from the mail from 2 of my 22 characters. And yes, like the guy above this post, I'd love to see proof of this warning.

Search like anyone would have to then. I read it here on the forums.

I think it was posts here on the forums. When they updated us and said that they would be mailing out companion items, they said that we had 30 days to collect them or they would vanish.

I would agree that a post in the forums is not enough, however I've also learned the hard way to always log into all alts every 30 days, regardless of which ones I play.

Yeah, that's a great policy to have. I used to do that, but like I said, the last 3 or 4 months have been unusually busy (and I spent 2 weeks in the hospital as well). I've been subbed since launch, and over time I've just amassed characters in various stages of the leveling/story process. I get it that now I can't always log in all 22 of them every 30 days...but if I'm going to be punished for that I would have liked to have been told before I made them all.

There are two sides to this as I see it.

On the one hand, it was likely that Bioware needed the mails to purge, since they likely took up quite a bit of database space, and perhaps were causing problems in game. I have to assume that there were multiples of tens of thousands of emails, considering all the folks that have played in the past. Perhaps more like hundreds of thousands.

On the other hand, these are items that players worked pretty hard on. Lots of time and coin spent on mods, shells, augments, weapons, etc.....not to mention some of the prohibitively expensive companion appearance items. That is quite an investment to lose, even if the value of those items (other than perhaps the appearance items) were greatly diminished by the changes.

At least the folks that DID get the emails got SOMETHING back out of the deal. For those folks that did not, they lost the entire effort....for some up to three years of effort and more.

So, what could have been done? Some kind of announcement, like the ones that pop up to tell you "welcome to this new game feature"?. That might have been the only way to insulate against the deletion for some. But in the end I think the very nature of this change was going to cause any number of problems, this being one of them.

Some of us have experienced the others.

Perhaps there was a better way to handle all of this, but I am not sure what that could have been. I certainly assume the solution could NOT be to leave them permanently.

Probably not the best thing to hear but I'd say your best bet is to wait for the ticket. I wish the timer for those emails didn't start until you logged in with the character, that's typically how it worked with Cantina Crate mails and such. But since it starts immediately, CS is the best route. Just make sure you didn't file it as a bug report.

Perhaps there was a better way to handle all of this, but I am not sure what that could have been. I certainly assume the solution could NOT be to leave them permanently.

Ingame warning 'Reminder you have 29 days to collect mail for companions before it disappears.'

Reminder you have ' 5 days / 1 day/ 12 hrs' etc

Not everyone reads forums, but everyone plays the game.

Probably not the best thing to hear but I'd say your best bet is to wait for the ticket. I wish the timer for those emails didn't start until you logged in with the character, that's typically how it worked with Cantina Crate mails and such. But since it starts immediately, CS is the best route. Just make sure you didn't file it as a bug report.

I just tried this. I logged in choosing one of the toons that I haven't touched since 4.0 dropped and the item recovery mails were sitting there waiting for me and the delivery timestamp was 2 mins.

Edited by smithre

My Inbox had a countdown on the emails that said how many days I had left to retrieve the items. It was in red letters. I didn't notice the countdown till it went red with the warning, but even at that point, the deadline was days away.

Short of forcing you to log into all your toons and making you clean your Inbox, I'm not sure what they could have done to make it any more obvious for everyone.

My Inbox had a countdown on the emails that said how many days I had left to retrieve the items. It was in red letters. I didn't notice the countdown till it went red with the warning, but even at that point, the deadline was days away.

Short of forcing you to log into all your toons and making you clean your Inbox, I'm not sure what they could have done to make it any more obvious for everyone.

I logged on to some characters I know I haven't logged in since SoR, and had the same experience. No mails with companion items, and the companions I have are all missing their pants. Just wanted to be sure I hadn't logged on a character and started the timer on the mail. So, I can confirm that at least in my case it has nothing to do with logging the character in.

It's just another apparently badly designed move by Bioware. I wonder if whoever came up with this decision has ever worked on an MMO before this one before. Seriously just create a vendor and let us buy companion outfit packs for 0 or whatever small amounts of credits if they want a credit sink and be done with it.

Seriously, those of us that logged in had to wade through not only our inventories being clogged with the first round of this crap but then had to wade through the mails and both of those I believe still had stuff missing.

Like I seriously just do not understand their decision making on half of this stuff.

Edited by dharh

Telling him to do his own research is being an *** huh? Wow...

Let me put this to you in very small words.

At no point should any player have to live on these forums to avoid Bioware's design problems. This is Bioware's mistake, and they should fix it. You jumping in to blame the OP for Bioware's mistake makes you a troll who wants to make themselves feel better by punching down at someone.

Deal with it.

Edited by ZanyaCross

Don't all in-game mails go away if not read in a certain time?

No. All of the mail from Bioware with things like Collectors Edition or expansion reward items stays, even after you retrieve the item. I have mail that says over 1500 days old on it. As a matter of fact, I still have all my KOTFE rewards (all the Niko Ocar stuff) and yet all my companion mail items are gone.