Item Stack Resale Exploit

EricMusco

Quit blaming BW these people are adults,what because the salesperson at the jewelry store is not there you think it is ok to just help yourself?

Of course not... it is still theft... but if the Jewelry store left its doors open with no employees there and they got robbed, would you find them faultless and without any blame at all?

Or would you be saying, "what the heck did you EXPECT to happen?"

• Replies 935
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good lord, people. You took the action. You made the decision to abuse an exploit. IT IS YOUR FAULT, NOBODY ELSE'S, if you get punished for it.

Of course...

But if you leave the keys to your car in it with the engine running and the door open and leave it in a high crime area for a week, and it gets stolen, you are still an idiot, regardless of the fault of the criminal who takes it...

There is fault on both sides of the situation.

The people who exploited definitely should be punished but if you think Bioware shares no blame when they left the exploit in for six weeks you are extremely ridiculous.

The question remains has Bioware learned anything from this, I've never seen a mmo developer ignore an item duplication exploit for six weeks. Is it really worth having half the community ticked off because they were punished and the other half left wondering if the corrective action is going to be effective enough to save the economy .... its a lose ...lose situation, the only way to address a bug like this is to take extreme actions as soon as possible even if it means taking down servers and putting all hand on deck to fix it.

The time, money and distraction to the community and the development team now combing through logs trying to figure out who deserve a ban or have items and progression removed is a huge set back and a huge policy fail on Bioware's part.

Of course...

But if you leave the keys to your car in it with the engine running and the door open and leave it in a high crime area for a week, and it gets stolen, you are still an idiot, regardless of the fault of the criminal who takes it...

There is fault on both sides of the situation.

So, the in-game environment is analogous to a crime-ridden ghetto populated with the most wretched of criminals? Good to know.

So, the in-game environment is analogous to a crime-ridden ghetto populated with the most wretched of criminals? Good to know.

That was what i was thinking,still scratching my head on that..

I find it amazing that people honestly thought they were going to get away with this,it is so easy to track this stuff,they can track everything down to one credit if they wish to.

This exploit is game breaking that is why they must ban people,it sucks that they have to do this but there is no other choice,these people are destroying the game for all those that play it,the people who engaged in this are real class acts and deserve far more than a ban imo.

And to those of you that sold stuff or think you will hide etc you are going to be in for a real slap soon.

Edited by Sathid

No not criminals GAMERS, and gamers .. GAME! .. they bend rules, think out side the box, look for a ways to game the game ..... I don't care if your playing tic-tac-toe or an MMO, if you give Gamers a loop hole in the rules to take there will be gamers that will take that path....and see it as just part of the game.

500 perma-bans and counting for the extreme violators, and if the number of 'worst offenders' is that high, then I'm sure there were hundreds of temp bans for lesser offenders as well ...yeah, sounds like a fair analogy if we're comparing crime to exploiting. :p

500 perma-bans and counting for the extreme violators, and if the number of 'worst offenders' is that high, then I'm sure there were hundreds of temp bans for lesser offenders as well ...yeah, sounds like a fair analogy if we're comparing crime to exploiting. :p

I would say it's only a crime if they sold the credits, but just cheating if they exploited to keep in game credits

I would say it's only a crime if they sold the credits, but just cheating if they exploited to keep in game credits

People on reddit were posting they sold enough credits to earn several thousand dollars so there definitly was crime :p

◆◆Edit◆◆ Maybe bioware should refer the ones who sold credits to goldsellers to the IRS, tax evasion investigation hurts a lot more then a ban in a video game ;) (just ask Al Capone)

Edited by XiamaraSimi

Yeah it seems they just want to be caught lol

Why would they care? "oh no I can't play star wars anymore on this account" ... who cares if you just made thousands of real world dollars and could make a new account if you still wanted to play?

Funnier still is the person admitting it launders it well enough that they state they've never been banned on their main before.

No not criminals GAMERS, and gamers .. GAME! .. they bend rules, think out side the box, look for a ways to game the game ..... I don't care if your playing tic-tac-toe or an MMO, if you give Gamers a loop hole in the rules to take there will be gamers that will take that path....and see it as just part of the game.

Gamers do not cheat. Gamers do not bend the rules. Gamers play by the rules and strive to exceed the norm within those rules.

Steaming piles of **** cheat and bend the rules to their advantage instead of relying on their own intuition and wits to excel. Please do not confuse the two groups.

You talk as if bending the rules and breaking them are the same thing...

For instance, if people go to Yavin, having done their dailies, and basically slice those coffers to their heart's content, and are doing so just for credits for personal use, not to RMT with, are they breaking the rules, or bending them, or neither?

Before 4.0, I did that once for about an hour, to see how much could be made; I've heard it's fixed now, that they don't yield so many post-4.0, as do mobs in general, so at least that's one less economic problem to tackle.

Anyway, I don't hate the exploiters, only what they do and the effects such activities have on the economy.

But then I guess, because I don't hate them with a thousand million passions, I must therefore be siding with them, right? :rolleyes:

Edited by sentientomega

For instance, if people go to Yavin, having done their dailies, and basically slice those coffers to their heart's content, and are doing so just for credits for personal use, not to RMT with, are they breaking the rules, or bending them, or neither?

Before 4.0, I did that once for about an hour, to see how much could be made; I've heard it's fixed now, that they don't yield so many post-4.0, as do mobs in general, so at least that's one less economic problem to tackle.

Your post before you edited it was hilariously dumb. That was a wise edit.

Anyway, I don't hate the exploiters, only what they do and the effects such activities have on the economy.

But then I guess, because I don't hate them with a thousand million passions, I must therefore be siding with them, right? :rolleyes:

collecting slicing nodes is not bending or breaking rules. Now, if you macro that and have your toon on auto, then yes that is breaking the rules.

Hey folks,

One of the things we have seen a lot of questions and comments about is what we are doing about accounts which have actively participated in helping exploiters to launder their ill-gotten gains. We are actively investigating these accounts, and we are doing so just as vigorously as the exploiters themselves. In situations that we have found players not only exploited, but are then trying to hide their actions through laundering, we are increasing the severity of the action we take against them. You can see examples of the action we are taking in my previous post.

We can see that in many of these cases, accounts have not only intentionally laundered credits through their guilds and friends, but that they have sent credits and items randomly to other accounts in an attempt to throw off our data. If you received credits or items through trade or in-game mail, and you feel that they were sent to you from someone who likely exploited, leave the items/credits alone. Don’t try to return them or send them to other accounts.

Additionally, feel free to PM me your information:

• Character name and server

• What you received

For users that we can identify as being unintentional recipients, they will have the items/credits stripped, it is unlikely further action will be taken.

Thanks everyone.

-eric

Its fun,how u ban people for your mistakes.Like to tell to kid - dont play with fire. Instead of shouting all over the internet and telling how great u are ,u could simply fix the loophole,but you mister,you want to become a god maybe.

So much for only a small amount of players exploiting. Ban exploiters is 1st,and fixing your game is 2nd task?

Edited by AleksandarKey

collecting slicing nodes is not bending or breaking rules. Now, if you macro that and have your toon on auto, then yes that is breaking the rules.

Not by itself, perhaps, but if you just went there, and, having no other reason to really be there, on Yavin, just sliced all day and all night long?

Not by itself, perhaps, but if you just went there, and, having no other reason to really be there, on Yavin, just sliced all day and all night long?

As long as it didn't interfere with a quest or using 3rd party programs / macroing it I would think its safe to farm

How is using a macro not cheating, since macros have been specifically disallowed

I wasn't talking about macros, and of course they're not allowed, enough posters here have pointed that out, I was talking about physically being at the keyboard, and slicing like there was no tomorrow, and with no other reason to be there.

As long as it didn't interfere with a quest or using 3rd party programs / macroing it I would think its safe to farm

How would slicing interfere with a mission?

Edited by sentientomega

I wasn't talking about macros, and of course they're not allowed, enough posters here have pointed that out, I was talking about physically being at the keyboard, and slicing like there was no tomorrow, and with no other reason to be there.

Farming nodes is a completely valid reason to be there. Is this a serious course of discussion or are you trying to troll us?