Nerf supporters are so happy because...

Pirindolo

A nerf supporter (NS) and me talking before 4.02

NS: Things are too easy. I want them more difficult. I demand a nerf.

Me: Ok, you can play without companion.

NS: No, companions are part of the core game, I want to play with companions.

Me: Ok, you can play with a companion in passive mode.

NS: No, if I play a companion, I want it to make things, not just walk.

Me: Ok, you can play with a companion, toggling some of the most powerful abilities to off mode, therefore nerfing your own companion to the point you feel more comfortable in terms of difficulty. A self-nerf as strong or as week as you want.

NS: No, I don't want to toggle abilities off. Instead of that, I demand a nerf.

Conclussion #1: NS doesn't want a nerf for himself. He doesn't want to have a “tougher” experience when playing with a companion, because he already could do that before the nerf. He was asking for a nerf for everyone.

According to most of the nerf supporters, nothing has changed in terms of difficulty after the nerf. If that is true, then why are you happy now with the nerf?

There are two things that have changed:

1) Grinding tasks consume more time now. Way more in some areas/planets. That doesn’t make them more challenging, but way more boring. And more boring for everyone, including nerf supporters. This cannot be then the primary motivation to support the nerf, unless they are grind fanatics and want everyone else to be grind fanatics too.

2) After the nerf almost nobody but pro players in high end gear can now get the “one for all” achievement. Ridiculous and unbelievable, but I don’t see any other reason explaining the happiness of the nerf supporters with 4.02.

Edited by Pirindolo

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

According to most of the nerf supporters, nothing has changed in terms of difficulty after the nerf. If that is true, then why are you happy now with the nerf?

That, plus the "making things harder for me isn't nerfing, dammit!" logic, is what really boggles me about these people. It's like they can't comprehend how stupid they're being by saying things like that, and instead believe they're -really- making a valid point. It's utterly bogglesome.

That said, the answer to your thread topic is: Schadenfreude.

2) After the nerf almost nobody but pro players in high end gear can now get the “one for all” achievement. Ridiculous and unbelievable, but I don’t see any other reason explaining the happiness of the nerf supporters with 4.02.

define pro player.

cause i'm not earning any money while playing (which is the standard definition of professional) . i'm just a regualr dude, playing for fun, emphasis on playing, not watching.

Did this really need the 10 billionth thread to be made?

In order to reinforce that human stupidity knows no limits, yes, it really was needed :)

@OP :

I can also add that before the expansion hit, during the 12x event, there were some complaining in fleet, by a guy who thought that the 12x was too much, and that Bioware should remove it. We helpfully stated that the ancient creature in the training area removed this 12x multiplier from you if you felt you were better off with out it. Whereas he replied that if he did that, leveling would be too slow......

I rest my case :)

Game is a game again. Not "let companion faceroll all content" experience.

As for not all achievements available to all - do you have nightmare TOS achievements? So lets nerf all nightmare opses because not all ,God forbid,can do hardest content that not all are freaking SUPPOSED to do.

Why i am happy - oh,i don't know,i will meet new players in flashpoints and operations who have at least basic idea about their class and will not heal with accuracy gear and plasma cell or shadows that will not stand at range and use ranged attacks. Because apparently i am one of the minority "elitists *****s" that still do group finder content in this game and explain to new players the mechanics and not quit right away once they see new players with 0 achievements or kick them to summon all mighty companion. However i should not be the one to explain basic gameplay that they need to learn during playing the single player content.

People need to learn to play to do hardest things possible in this game otherwise it is not a game but a movie.

The "i should get what all others get despite that i suck and they play better then me but i dont want to learn dumb it down NOW" crowd will ruin this game because once you will get it you will get bored and quit and leave the rest with a content that is not challenging one bit because learning how to play takes,like,a tiny bit of,like,an effort,dude, and i want to relax cause i deserve a medal cause i,like ,"work" maybe,or dont.

Game is a game again. Not "let companion faceroll all content" experience.

Wow! Your companions were facerolling PVP and Operations?! That's amazing. I'd love to see some videos of that.

Also, if all that awesome facerolling of ALL CONTENT in the game was too much for you, why couldn't you set them to another mode, and/or toggle some of their abilities? Or just disable them altogether? Did Bioware send some henchmen to your house to loom over you as you played so that you couldn't? AGAIN? Man, those stupid henchmen, I tells ya.

(Translation: WHOOSH! at the original post flying right over your head.)

On a more serious note, why does it matter one iota what other people do during their solo gameplay when it has zero impact whatsoever on you, let alone during PVP, Operations, and other legitimately challenging group content in the game? It's amazing how none of you people ever answer that question. (Well, aside from trying to claim that companions somehow trivialized it with moronic comments like "ALL CONTENT!!!")

Edited by NeuroticCupcake

I answered you in the other thread, gonna repost it here.

''Because game mechanics and difficulty should not be a voluntary process.

And also because when things are equally more difficult across the board , there is a sense of achievement are you put work and time into something.

Players that have the time and are willing to spend more of it , should be rewarded more than those that ,as some people said in this thread, are too lazy to use their class to maximum capacity and can't be bothered to heal up after a pull.

The game should make the player strive to beat it, not to make the player want to nerf himself, in order to make things interesting.

What kind of a screwed up mmorpg game design is that which in order to make the game interesting the player must make himself intentionally weaker? Especially when there is a goal to be chased and achieved.''

This massive whining after the nerf has this kind of vibe to it :

-THE EPIC REBELLION OF THE NOOBS AND SUPER CASUALS - 2015 -

Edited by Kaedusz

Me: Ok, you can play with a companion, toggling some of the most powerful abilities to off mode, therefore nerfing your own companion to the point you feel more comfortable in terms of difficulty. A self-nerf as strong or as week as you want.

Conclussion #1: NS doesn't want a nerf for himself. He doesn't want to have a “tougher” experience when playing with a companion, because he already could do that before the nerf. He was asking for a nerf for everyone.

1) Grinding tasks consume more time now. Way more in some areas/planets. That doesn’t make them more challenging, but way more boring. And more boring for everyone, including nerf supporters. This cannot be then the primary motivation to support the nerf, unless they are grind fanatics and want everyone else to be grind fanatics too.

Can u guys plz stop saying this dumb theory that u can play without a companion ... If your a squishy dps u HAVE to use a companion or u will melt. God u tell people something and it goes in one ear and out the other because of their personal bias. GOD MODE HAS NO PLACE IN A MMO GET THE HELL OVER IT. You guys keep kicking and screaming without thinking of nothing but being able to solo grp content. What about people like me who haven't even finished the new story content? I should have to faceroll through it because u r to lazy to grp or take a few seconds to heal b4 a fight? I've never seen a community this retarded b4 .... people like u are killing video games.

People already turned off Companions. It was done. We removed something that is vital to a Bioware Game, and ran without it. We did nerf ourselves. Why should we have to remove an item from our game play? An item that Bioware has marketed this game around, just so you can have a companion do most of the work?

The flipside of that argument is that those who want OP companions are asking for game play easy mode for everyone. The easier the game is made, the less desirable it is for gamers who don't want it to be easy. Level sync makes the game easy mode when you return to planets. Before we bypassed the mobs, now we kill them. It's grindy and obnoxiously easy. Should we start removing our armor because it's grindy and easy? We already dismissed our companions. Should we be running Korriban Heroic2s Naked and Weaponless with our Companion sent out mat gathering?

I'm actually mostly indifferent to it. OP Comp. UnderPowered Comp. Don't care. Doesn't matter to me at all. If content gets hard, I group up. Most of the content is so easy and tedious, I just solo grind it and try not to fall asleep on my keyboard. The trouble is people are asking for Easy Mode because tedious and easy content is... tedious and easy?

Stop and think about that a moment. You want Easy Mode, because content is... easy... wait... wut?! :eek:

1) Grinding is boring and grindy. It's also how Bioware keeps crazy people paying for their subs between expac releases (story chapters in this case). I want meaningful combat with a reasonable amount of challenge. I was handed this pile of level sync'd warm oozing mess. Because I am crazy I'll slog through it. The answer is not in giving us Companions so strong we are the sidekick, the answer is in meaningful combat. We got... SF... nope that was it. That's the whole thing. SF. That's our end game meaningful content. It gets boring after the 4th time through (okay it was boring after the 2nd time through).

2) I don't have that achieve. I play a Mara and a Madness Sorc primarily atm. I could probably get the fancy Legacy Wide title if I took my Tank Sin or my Heal BH through. If it's about the title, alt. If it's about wanting the game to feel like a game and not a tax form... stop asking for easier and easier things.

To point 1) I'm just unsure of how grindy it feels comparatively speaking. When I look back on 3.0 it doesn't seem any different to me in terms of grind. Since the heroic 2s give up basically 2 times the credit reward plus an alliance crate and crystals I kind of think that the time spent should reflect the increased reward. Healing between fights takes maybe 4 seconds which I mean isn't minutes or anything so I do kind of chalk that one up to people being super lazy. Having to wait 4 seconds before engaging a 2nd or 3rd mob in a row seems kind of...I don't know...superficial to me. After all, why do we care about when the deed is done? It'll get done. I also only do the instanced heroics since i don't feel like fighting for things, and I do tend to like to take my time in heroic missions anyway. But regardless, I do feel like players should understand the content they are heading into. When I want to just blow through some heroics as fast as I possibly can, I target the instanced ones on low level planets that don't even require a companion. If I have plenty of time, or if I'm specifically trying to do something like up my Voss rep, I'll allot more time to spend. It's really truly about balancing what you want to do with the time you want to spend on it. Low level planetary heroics take no time. Higher level ones will take more time. Budget to your schedule and desires.

To point 2) Achievements are meant to mean something. If you aren't working for it then it's not an achievement. It'd be just a blip on your radar. If we go to a more general point let's take timed nightmare operation run titles (stay with me here I'm not saying do these or don't do these, just that it's a comparable principle). Do I want them? Absolutely, but there are a few that require me to really work hard for them. Finishing say Dread Palace or Dread Fortress in under an hour is a tough tough thing to do. The one for all achievement is a tough thing to do as well. There always needs to be something to aspire to in this game since it's an ever evolving thing. When we run out of content what's there to aspire to? What will keep you playing? When content gets stale people do tend to do something else. For the solo minded player I see that achievement as your Revanchist title. Not something easily attainable, but definitely possible. It's not a freebie. And really, the ball is squarely in the player's court if they want to get that title or if they don't. It's not that bad of a thing to have something in game that you want, but aren't quite able to get just yet. Work towards it, and then when you get it things will be so much sweeter, and you'll have such a feeling of satisfaction.

And generally, we need to move away from this division of pro vs nerf supporter categorization. Companions are getting a buff soon which makes this whole argument about companions totally moot. Overall though, if your companion isn't to where you want them to be do the things that the game allows for that boost that. Use a presence stim, or get the influence up with companion gifts you can get from virtually any medium whether it's the GTN, or crew skills etc. If you're still struggling on a star fortress heroic use your crystals for higher rated gear. You don't need set bonus gear to do these missions, and you don't need to group to get that done. The developers have created the star fortress content to be difficult, and probably the top tier solo-ish content the game offers. Again, the power to get through these different missions rests solely with the player. It's up to them if they want to get through it. It's hard to look in the mirror sometimes, but at this point I think a lot of people need to and just ask more from themselves if they want to get that higher level stuff done.

If the player finds that they don't want to do anything more than a minimum, because that's fun for them that's totally ok. The game does cater to that as well by offering solo mode versions of the star fortresses. There is absolutely nothing wrong with those game modes if that's what you like. That's the reason why they are included in the game...to give the people who like that mode their piece of the pie as well.

Good luck with it, and try not to get down about hitting a wall. In every game, whether it's console or not, the player does hit some wall in some form regardless of difficulty mode. You can get past it. Just don't sell yourselves short by pegging your play as one thing or another. You are vastly more capable than you may think.

I've never seen a community this retarded b4 .... people like u are killing video games.

You should just quit...this simple game is obviously far below your skill level...let the n00bs and bads play this game...you should move on to something that challenges you're bad *** skills. :rolleyes:

Can't argue with your logic, OP. The "nerf supporters" obviously want the nerf, not for their own private benefit, but rather as a hindrance to so-called weak or unskilled players.

Personally I am comfortable with the nerf. But I can understand the resentment it has generated.

Edited by Hebruixe

this and also go as far as to say to NS why not take off some of you gear :eek:

define pro player.

cause i'm not earning any money while playing (which is the standard definition of professional) . i'm just a regualr dude, playing for fun, emphasis on playing, not watching.

lol not even that but they should give people god mode so they can get a achievement? lol achievements should be earned not given.

the nerf is being reversed. get the hell over it :D

Not completely. You still won't have the god mode companions, they just won't have been nerfed as bad as they were in 4.0.2. It looks like it might be at a nice middle ground. They won't do everything for you, but they'll also be contributing a non-insignificant amount of healing.

To point 1) I'm just unsure of how grindy it feels comparatively speaking. When I look back on 3.0 it doesn't seem any different to me in terms of grind. Since the heroic 2s give up basically 2 times the credit reward plus an alliance crate and crystals I kind of think that the time spent should reflect the increased reward. Healing between fights takes maybe 4 seconds which I mean isn't minutes or anything so I do kind of chalk that one up to people being super lazy. Having to wait 4 seconds before engaging a 2nd or 3rd mob in a row seems kind of...I don't know...superficial to me. After all, why do we care about when the deed is done? It'll get done. I also only do the instanced heroics since i don't feel like fighting for things, and I do tend to like to take my time in heroic missions anyway. But regardless, I do feel like players should understand the content they are heading into. When I want to just blow through some heroics as fast as I possibly can, I target the instanced ones on low level planets that don't even require a companion. If I have plenty of time, or if I'm specifically trying to do something like up my Voss rep, I'll allot more time to spend. It's really truly about balancing what you want to do with the time you want to spend on it. Low level planetary heroics take no time. Higher level ones will take more time. Budget to your schedule and desires.

To point 2) Achievements are meant to mean something. If you aren't working for it then it's not an achievement. It'd be just a blip on your radar. If we go to a more general point let's take timed nightmare operation run titles (stay with me here I'm not saying do these or don't do these, just that it's a comparable principle). Do I want them? Absolutely, but there are a few that require me to really work hard for them. Finishing say Dread Palace or Dread Fortress in under an hour is a tough tough thing to do. The one for all achievement is a tough thing to do as well. There always needs to be something to aspire to in this game since it's an ever evolving thing. When we run out of content what's there to aspire to? What will keep you playing? When content gets stale people do tend to do something else. For the solo minded player I see that achievement as your Revanchist title. Not something easily attainable, but definitely possible. It's not a freebie. And really, the ball is squarely in the player's court if they want to get that title or if they don't. It's not that bad of a thing to have something in game that you want, but aren't quite able to get just yet. Work towards it, and then when you get it things will be so much sweeter, and you'll have such a feeling of satisfaction.

And generally, we need to move away from this division of pro vs nerf supporter categorization. Companions are getting a buff soon which makes this whole argument about companions totally moot. Overall though, if your companion isn't to where you want them to be do the things that the game allows for that boost that. Use a presence stim, or get the influence up with companion gifts you can get from virtually any medium whether it's the GTN, or crew skills etc. If you're still struggling on a star fortress heroic use your crystals for higher rated gear. You don't need set bonus gear to do these missions, and you don't need to group to get that done. The developers have created the star fortress content to be difficult, and probably the top tier solo-ish content the game offers. Again, the power to get through these different missions rests solely with the player. It's up to them if they want to get through it. It's hard to look in the mirror sometimes, but at this point I think a lot of people need to and just ask more from themselves if they want to get that higher level stuff done.

If the player finds that they don't want to do anything more than a minimum, because that's fun for them that's totally ok. The game does cater to that as well by offering solo mode versions of the star fortresses. There is absolutely nothing wrong with those game modes if that's what you like. That's the reason why they are included in the game...to give the people who like that mode their piece of the pie as well.

Good luck with it, and try not to get down about hitting a wall. In every game, whether it's console or not, the player does hit some wall in some form regardless of difficulty mode. You can get past it. Just don't sell yourselves short by pegging your play as one thing or another. You are vastly more capable than you may think.

Reasonable, polite, encouraging reply?! THAT IS NOT ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM!

Edited by OniGanon

Wow! Your companions were facerolling PVP and Operations?! That's amazing. I'd love to see some videos of that.

Also, if all that awesome facerolling of ALL CONTENT in the game was too much for you, why couldn't you set them to another mode, and/or toggle some of their abilities? Or just disable them altogether? Did Bioware send some henchmen to your house to loom over you as you played so that you couldn't? AGAIN? Man, those stupid henchmen, I tells ya.

(Translation: WHOOSH! at the original post flying right over your head.)

On a more serious note, why does it matter one iota what other people do during their solo gameplay when it has zero impact whatsoever on you, let alone during PVP, Operations, and other legitimately challenging group content in the game? It's amazing how none of you people ever answer that question. (Well, aside from trying to claim that companions somehow trivialized it with moronic comments like "ALL CONTENT!!!")

First of all,it does not have 0 impact on PVP and operations. People who were carried by companions do not know how to play. Like, AT ALL. And some of them want to play PVP and operations which is great, but they do not understand anything about basic game-play mechanics which completely ruins everything for teammates. Explaining boss mechanics is fine,explaining what all those shiny never-used-before abilities/stances/cells do - this is insane.

On the other hand,you have the people who do not want to carry them and kick those poor unsuspecting souls spoiled by their own private superman from flashpoints to replace them with - guess what? Correct,their own companion. Less headache,more efficiency and more loot.

Also,OP complains that not all people can do HARDEST HEROIC in the game with companions as they are now. Which is exactly what should be,by design. Not all people should be able to do it,for example those in crappy gear and with companions with poor influence level. But nooooo, apparently all who are able to click yellow play button on launcher should be able to finish hardest single player challenge in the game.

''Because game mechanics and difficulty should not be a voluntary process.

And also because when things are equally more difficult across the board , there is a sense of achievement are you put work and time into something.

*** Not everyone plays for a "sense of achievement". Some people play for relaxation or escape. Some of us put enough work and time into RL things, the gane is for fun, not more work. ***

Players that have the time and are willing to spend more of it , should be rewarded more than those that ,as some people said in this thread, are too lazy to use their class to maximum capacity and can't be bothered to heal up after a pull.

*** Yes, I agree that greater efforts should have greater rewards. But not everyone cares about those things the same way, so insulting them for it is not called for. ***

The game should make the player strive to beat it, not to make the player want to nerf himself, in order to make things interesting.

*** I disagree. Your definition of "interesting" is not the same as everyone else's. "Making people strive" is something for RL, not playtime. ***

What kind of a screwed up mmorpg game design is that which in order to make the game interesting the player must make himself intentionally weaker? Especially when there is a goal to be chased and achieved.''

*** One that caters to all types of players, not just the ones who want "challenge". Ordinary content should not become more tedious, especially when it is designed to be repeated many many times. Companions had NO impact on the truly challenging content such as HM, ops, and PVP warzones.

In my case, the "goal" to be chased and achieved is relaxation and escape, not tedium and frustration. If that's your idea of fun then more power to you. It is not mine and I'm pretty sure it is not for a reasonable number of others as well. ***

See the italics above.

My point is that I keep seeing these comments where folks can't seem to understand why others might want to play differently than they do, or might like to have an easy game as opposed to a "challenge".

Yeah, some of us DO like it faceroll easy sometimes. It's a GAME, not a second job. There is harder content and group content for those who want it. Companions have NO effect on that part.

There's no one great be-all end-all solution, but at least as it was those who wanted more challenge had some options to make that so. Making things more tedious and frustrating for everyone is not a good solution, IMO.

Imo, doing heroics after the nerf was more fun then when they were op..still. There are ways to make the gameplay more challenging (as the OP already pointed out), so I'm not going to complain about it..however- I'm not really getting how the nerf was such a big deal people actually wanted to unsub because of it? Or, maybe actually did in some cases.

Even after the nerf, the planetary heroics you had to do were still about as simple to solo as it was to do normal class quests before 4.0 .All the nerf did was make it so you actually have to do something. As in, you can't just sit back and chill while Lana or whoever does all the dirty work for you. All it did, was make you put some effort into it - how is that boring?

Again, I'm not going to make a big deal if comps get op again, I just can't wrap my head around how the nerf is such a big deal to some people.

Saw an argument a few times that it's because of the 'lvl sync', but again - if this is your case - the heroics are about as easy now, as it was to do class missions before (meaning you can easily pass them) + you get awesome/appropriate rewards for doing them! If you wanted to go back and do DK heroics at lvl 60 before, you'd get NOTHING out of it. No xp, crappy credit reward etc, plus, I'd be about as fun as watching paint dry.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.