Companion Changes in 4.0.2

EricMusco

I'm working away and will not be home until next week, so I haven't experienced the nerfed companions therefore cannot comment either way.

But I haven't seen this much angst on the forums since the Ravagers 'exploit' blew up during SOR. That combined with the slot machine fiasco led BW to make changes eventually. I suspect the same will happen here and another correction will be made to the companions in a later patch.

Regardless, BW have done an excellent job in dividing the community once again.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My personal opinion is that at 65 in ok gear on my tank Guardian the game hasn't really changed that much.

However playing my lower level characters (especially DPS characters) is far less fun than it was.

In tank mode Qyzen could barely survive 2 mobs in the Heroics, and in heal mode he could not keep up with the damage being done to my Shadow (about level 25 or so doing Nar Shaddaa heroics).

I respeced the Shadow to a tank and it was more tolerable... although it was not very much fun.

Ok, this is it for me.

I realize this community thinks challenge ='s long trash fights.

I already unsubbed. But come on people. That's not a challenge anymore than office paperwork is.

Actually, I don't think the community at large thinks that challenge equals long trash fights. Only the people who are in favour of this giant nerf to companions and have been trolling the boards with smug "l2p bad" statements seem to equate tedium to challenge. The rest of us are in agreement with you.

You do realize more than a few people are saying the nerf was needed but that those having issues aren't bad or need to l2p, they just have to understand that BW never intended for people to be able to bypass the typical MMO grind due to the companions power.

Absolutely! It certainly may be a bit more challenging than before but you can complete them. The intent is that you can complete any [Heroic 2] with your Companion counting as one of the two. If you find this isn't true for any Heroics tomorrow, let us know.

-eric

im telling you right now that is a bull face lie and if you dont beleive me run every heroic yourself eric and then you will notice why you all have lost a bunch of subs already in 24 hrs if you dont fix well maybe when yall go to get ur paycheck its a pink slip in it

I am almost afraid to post here. One of those 6 godly players might tell me that I am a worthless piece of noob s*** and that the change was good, and I only don't like it because I am a failure at the game and as a person. It is sad that there are individuals that can afford to sit online all day, when they have never experienced the real world and properly matured; abusing others in chat and on the forums because the others have lives outside of the MMO. In chat, if you get an answer to a question, it is normally a rude child telling you how worthless you are for not knowing already. These evil children take their Godmode seriously and will not share. Without noobs to impress and harass...

If you are an Operations person, then your companion's abilities are meaningless. The game outside of Operations is pretty much non-consequential to you. You get top non-ops gear as quickly as you can, then you and your group slowly gear yourselves to make the operations doable and then trivial. Most operations players aren't interested in this forum, and those that are need not tell non-operations players how worthless they are here or in general chat, while they are hanging around posing for admiration. Rude and senseless creatures, they post here over and over trying to nullify the well meant observations of others.

I came back to SWTOR after almost 3 years. I had 4 "top of the line" raiders in top ops gear (level 50). I came from WoW, where I had been a top raider for a decade and had the top geared character on my server for 8 of 10 years, but then WoW is open to the public and you know such things.

I came here because of the unique experience that is SWTOR and the story driven characters. The finest solo MMO in existence. You have friends and guilds and share some of your stuff or help with information or killing that exceptionally bad NPC; but you are mostly alone and immersed in the story. IMMERSION is incredible in this game, and those myopic angry little ones never see it.

I came here because I was tired of the emotional drama that is present in most MMO's and a society coming apart at the seems. I like to escape and immerse myself in the story. I have all day to play because I am retired. My life has been bigger than anything ever imagined or seen in any movie. I was a smart, lucky, and talented person, knowing pretty much everything important for happiness (including the fact that you do not want to hear it).

The expansion made the game a wonder for those folks that have lives outside of the MMO, and allowed them the new story and new content without spending too many hours grinding for the necessities of survival. I loved it! I could work each character I brought up and get them geared for soloing the [Heroic 2+] Star Fortress, and when I had time I would help others. I was eventually able to solo all the Exarchs on one class or another, except Alderaan and Voss Exarchs. The adds and the heals were just too much for me, and I had to work very hard to beat the ones I eventually killed; usually failing a couple of times. I was having a wonderful time and thought I might start a new set of characters on another server... see the stories one more time.

The nerf to healing companions was FAR TOO SEVERE. Bioware may have made a mistake and made them too powerful, but THIS mistake is far worse, and will drive people away. No gear slots to customize a useless companion is perfect for driving their subscriber base away. Most of the people with the money have jobs outside of SWTOR, and Bioware should not let their spoiled children run the show.

Were I to advise Bioware, I would tell them to put AT LEAST half the nerf back for the healing companions. Pay more attention to player and companion customization (add gear slots for companions and weapon slots for players [Cartell$]) IN VIDEOS and out of videos. IMMERSION!!! The video clips were sloppily put together for the expansion and could be much better... but we still loved them! The companion interface has changed; fix the frames to address the change... don't just remove a button from one of them when the new one is incomplete. The core SWTOR player is a casual solo player that grows attached to their companions, and plays the game as an escape, not a life. They play for the IMMERSION into the story, and a vacation from their real life circumstance.

ENDGAME requires a workable Group Finder system that is intrinsic with the operations themselves and their difficulty level. But this is not that discussion.

The NERF was TOO MUCH. I liked it the way it was before and dislike it now, in comparison. It was so new and perfect for the level scaling. Oh well, I will find a game that fits. There are new ones every day, and they work hard to be competitive.

Anyone find a new game with similar solo story driven structure out there?

GW2 just didn't quite make it. Rift lacks the conversation videos and structure. WoW is a cartoon and lacks the same (destroyed by give and take, along with trivialization of previous efforts). ESO is a silly PvP game.

I'll just check out the new ones as they come I suppose.

Edited by Draewind
spelling and context

the lot of us for many reasons don't like the change learning curve may be one. i for one don't need another MMO game that is a chore/second job. i sub and play to have fun. the companions were honestly op and needed to be tweaked down no blown into oblivion like they did. the companions are less powerful than comp 3.0 i myself found 2H SF to be challenging enough but doable now i wont even look at it because of the grinding needed to bring it up to something that is still below comp 3.0. we want a game that is fun to play through the journey not a game that becomes a daily grind fest that is absolutely no fun. they didnt test it and the result is unhappy customers case and point.

Well, Mr Spock hat on pure devil's advocate,

1 what MMO can you not make an argument that it is a chore job?

2 if the answer is no why do you go to other MMOs?

I totally get that some people want SWTOR to be TOR 3. I wish there had been a TOR 3. However I and many other currently still play this game years later because it is an MMO. I haven't played a TOR game since I finished them. Why do I still play SWTOR or any other MMO. Beyond the IP etc it's for the simple Pavlovian reasons that studies run by Psychologists have shown makes MMOs work... The ding of the loot drop, credits in your pocket, level etc... what some prejoritive call a grind conversely is what also makes MMOs work, so long as it is balanced right.

I am almost afraid to post here. One of those 6 godly players might tell me that I am a worthless piece of noob s*** and that the change was good, and I only don't like it because I am a failure at the game and as a person. It is sad that there are individuals that can afford to sit online all day, when they have never experienced the real world and properly matured; abusing others in chat and on the forums because the others have lives outside of the MMO. In chat, if you get an answer to a question, it is normally a rude child telling you how worthless you are for not knowing already. These evil children take their Godmode seriously and will not share. Without noobs to impress and harass...

If you are an Operations person, then your companion's abilities are meaningless. The game outside of Operations is pretty much non-consequential to you. You get top non-ops gear as quickly as you can, then you and your group slowly gear yourselves to make the operations doable and then trivial. Most operations players aren't interested in this forum, and those that are need not tell non-operations players how worthless they are here or in general chat, while they are hanging around posing for admiration. Rude and senseless creatures, they post here over and over trying to nullify the well meant observations of others.

I came back to SWTOR after almost 3 years. I had 4 "top of the line" raiders in top ops gear (level 50). I came from WoW, where I had been a top raider for a decade and had the top geared character on my server for 8 of 10 years, but then WoW is open to the public and you know such things.

I came here because of the unique experience that is SWTOR and the story driven characters. The finest solo MMO in existence. You have friends and guilds and share some of your stuff or help with information or killing that exceptionally bad NPC; but you are mostly alone and immersed in the story. IMMERSION is incredible in this game, and those myopic angry little ones never see it.

I came here because I was tired of the emotional drama that is present in most MMO's and a society coming apart at the seems. I like to escape and immerse myself in the story. I have all day to play because I am retired. My life has been bigger than anything ever imagined or seen in any movie. I was a smart, lucky, and talented person, knowing pretty much everything important for happiness (including the fact that you do not want to hear it).

The expansion made the game a wonder for those folks that have lives outside of the MMO, and allowed them the new story and new content without spending too many hours grinding for the necessities of survival. I loved it! I could work each character I brought up and get them geared for soloing the [Heroic 2+] Star Fortress, and when I had time I would help others. I was eventually able to solo all the Exarchs on one class or another, except Alderaan and Voss Exarchs. The adds and the heals were just too much for me, and I had to work very hard to beat the ones I eventually killed; usually failing a couple of times. I was having a wonderful time and thought I might start a new set of characters on another server... see the stories one more time.

The nerf to healing companions was FAR TOO SEVERE. Bioware may have made a mistake and made them too powerful, but THIS mistake is far worse, and will drive people away. No gear slots to customize a useless companion is perfect for driving their subscriber base away. Most of the people with the money have jobs outside of SWTOR, and Bioware should not let their spoiled children run the show.

Were I to advise Bioware, I would tell them to put AT LEAST half the nerf back for the healing companions. Pay more attention to player and companion customization (add gear slots for companions and weapon slots for players [Cartell$]) IN VIDEOS and out of videos. IMMERSION!!! The video clips were sloppily put together for the expansion and could be much better... but we still loved them! The companion interface has changed; fix the frames to address the change... don't just remove a button from one of them when the new one is incomplete. The core SWTOR player is a casual solo player that grows attached to their companions, and plays the game as an escape, not a life. They play for the IMMERSION into the story, and a vacation from their real life circumstance.

ENDGAME requires a workable Group Finder system that is intrinsic with the operations themselves and their difficulty level. But this is not that discussion.

The NERF was TOO MUCH. I liked it the way it was before and dislike it now, in comparison. It was so new and perfect for the level scaling. Oh well, I will find a game that fits. There are new ones every day, and they work hard to be competitive.

GW2 just didn't quite make it. Rift lacks the conversation videos and structure. WoW is a cartoon and lacks the same (destroyed by give and take, along with trivialization of previous efforts). ESO is a silly PvP game.

Awesome post :) well said

I totally get that some people want SWTOR to be TOR 3. I wish there had been a TOR 3. However I and many other currently still play this game years later because it is an MMO. I haven't played a TOR game since I finished them. Why do I still play SWTOR or any other MMO. Beyond the IP etc it's for the simple Pavlovian reasons that studies run by Psychologists have shown makes MMOs work... The ding of the loot drop, credits in your pocket, level etc... what some prejoritive call a grind conversely is what also makes MMOs work, so long as it is balanced right.

we all know they reach a point where they become a chore im not disputing that. games like Rift, The Secret World, Defiance, LOTRO are MMOs you can actually enjoy the grind i wish i had more time to play most of them but i dont have multiple bodies, arms, computers etc lol. i stopped playing EQ2 and some others a long time ago because they entered second job status and that is not fun at all.

For me, BW SWtoR team really screwed this one up. I am nowadays a very casual player and I really felt they found their calling with Revan expansion and everything since.

I got limited play time and I can log in play a couple of PvP matches maybe work on alliance by breezing through some heroics

Logged in last night and ran my somewhat geared Jug through SF H2 (in unranked PvP gear, no augments). Used Xalek at lvl24 influence set to heals. Started out in DPS spec. I managed, but only after 5-6 deaths. Had to switch to tank spec at the boss that spawns adds and it was fu*cking tedious. It wasn’t harder it was so bloody grindy. Took me twice as long as before.

Further enjoyment added as companion keeps bugging out and just stands there and either stops healing all together or only heals himself. That def contributed to at least half the deaths.

Before, like most other people I used HK for DPS and Treek for heals/tank. Both where properly geared and I don’t have exact numbers, but my rank 24 companion now def feels nowhere near as capable at any role as HK/Treek did before.

I thought the whole change to the comanion system with each comp doing every role is to allow people to use any companion they want rather than all using the same as they were better then most. Well that didn’t work, cause now I again have to stick to one companion the one I will grind out 50 influence lvls with ….

So it comes down to not harder for me, (but I imagine harder def harder for newer players without maxed legacy and stats) but so much more grindy. Compared to before, H2+s feel tedious and like chores.

Sorry if I want it to feel like a job I stay at work and plenty of chores to do at home. I don’t need more of that crap in a game. Especially if I only have 60 or so min to play.

After being a sub since lunch I cancelled my sub yesterday. I will be back once they released a couple of chapters, but then for a single months sub and def no more unless this gets “fixed”. I have stayed sub even when I didn’t play for weeks at a time, because I liked the game and always felt there is cause to support it. But, going by the silence to the 40+ threads and thousands of posts, you have to vote with your wallet to be heard.

They lost out on a couple months of sub at minimum. How this debacle can be fixed, no idea. I do not believe for 1 second that they didn’t know the impact this would have – releasing companions in one form at expansion launch and then doing a 180 a couple of weeks later.

And I really find it astonishing that there has been no response at all to what seems to be the biggest thread / post count discussion I have seen on the forums.

I tried soloing a heroic SF on my juggernaut DPS immediately after the servers were back up yesterday and failed miserably :) Tried it again today and this time, after a lot of tweaks and pre-planning I was able to do this by respeccing as an optimised juggernaut tank.

All the time I was doing this I was remembering the shared cooldowns I have with the DPS spec that I am also very familiar with but failed on the day before. I use my cooldowns to maximum effect as tank routinely, but never thought to do the same as a DPS. Sure, I used them, but I didn't think about the *right* moment to use them etc. I'm going to have another go tonight with the DPS spec, tweaking cooldown usage and other stuff - keeping aggro off the companion healer seems to be the key and I need to be better at doing that in my DPS spec.

I think for me at least, this is now perfectly balanced at that challenging-but-almost-achievable level that I would expect to see at this stage in the gearing/learning curve. I love it at this setting! :D

Once I have managed to solo it on my favourite DPS, it will be time to wheel out a healer and work out an entirely different strategy for that challenge. I predict...death and GIANT repair bills :D

I would like to see the companions tweaked higher for planet heroics though; many of my guildies play a more casual game and I hate to see them frustrated by content that is needed for the expansion but is unduly challenging or time-consuming. Maybe a little boost to companions in the bolster system would achieve that without affecting content that is meant to be more challenging?

Absolutely! It certainly may be a bit more challenging than before but you can complete them. The intent is that you can complete any [Heroic 2] with your Companion counting as one of the two. If you find this isn't true for any Heroics tomorrow, let us know.

-eric

I did two [Heroic 2] last night and although they were slightly harder than they were before they were still a cake walk, and that's coming from someone who's only just the last few weeks started playing (old account but never played more than 5 mins originally), heck I still haven't sorted out a rotation and my bars are filled with all the abilities being randomly spammed, and still i'm beating [Heroic 2] quests with ease.

Maybe a little boost to companions in the bolster system would achieve that without affecting content that is meant to be more challenging?

Game was fine as it was pre-patch.

People who want challenge should go do HM FPs and OPS and leave other people alone. If your companion keeping you alive was tedious, all you had to do was dismiss it. Oh but wait, that would "ruin your experience", and it was so much easier whining so everyone else's experience was ruined.

Someone still needs to run through me how having useless companions does for a "better" experience.

Edited by Kolbeinn

Game was fine as it was pre-patch.

People who want challenge should go do HM FPs and OPS and leave other people alone. If your companion keeping you alive was tedious, all you had to do was dismiss it. Oh but wait, that would "ruin your experience", and it was so much easier whining so everyone else's experience was ruined.

Someone still needs to run through me how having useless companions does for a "better" experience.

There is no logical explanation, so people will fabricate one that sounds plausible no matter how fallacious.

Edited by Gallandaeus

*claps, claps, claps*

WELL DONE BIOWARE!

You FAILED miserably again. You had a great game, with expansion 4.0, with a lot of subscriptions and great feel for the player when it comes to soloing... NOW you have one broken system once more, where billion of players complain about the MOST STUPID EVER CHANGE!

Yea I agree that companions needed nerfing... but almost 70-80%, god you must be horrible at math... that is the most pathetic math I ever seen... You could have concentrated over 40-45%, not 70-80%, and then may be... may be players wouldn't have been so angry with you... but someone have to have at least a little brain, up here *taps head*, before it does such change...

For GOD F**KING SAKE! THINK BEFORE YOU RELEASE ANYTHING OF YOUR CHANGES! That why there is Public Test Servers... add the damn change first on the public test server, let players test it, and then read feedback and do changes according to it... and after all that testing... not just from your damn studio which uses commands to empower their companions... or to add stuffs to their characters... only then released it massively over the public and the official servers... IT'S SIMPLE planning...

Edited by SammuelColdheart

we all know they reach a point where they become a chore im not disputing that. games like Rift, The Secret World, Defiance, LOTRO are MMOs you can actually enjoy the grind i wish i had more time to play most of them but i dont have multiple bodies, arms, computers etc lol. i stopped playing EQ2 and some others a long time ago because they entered second job status and that is not fun at all.

You can enjoy the grind in RIFT? That grind, imo, makes SWTOR appear to be a vacation imo. I closed tested that game and played it until I left last year. I think however this shows the subjectiveness of grinds. I think the problem really is that some people want SWTOR to be a SP TOR game so ANY grind is anathema BUT if you are "just your average MMO" some grind is okay. Make sense?

First opening with an ad hominem kinda turns off people who do not share the elitist vs casual attitude.

Second not everyone who is not raging against the change thinks the problem has anything to do with l2p.

Example I understand that players might be mad at the change. They now can't do things with ease and probably can't do somethings at all. I am annoyed at the change myself, simply for different reasons. The thing is that Eric said specifically that they never intended the companions to be that powerful. The whole idea that this change is because of some elitist plot is simply not true.

Now here is why I am annoyed. Everyone WILL be able to do the H2s, even the SF. The problem is that the companions being OP hid something from a certain part of the player base. No one, that I know, LIKES the grind, there who simply those who accept it and those who hate it. The companions hid the grind from the players who hate grinding. Now they are angry because they either see the grind that they will have to go through to clear that H2 SF solo, to simply "regear" their Comp via affection etc or they are so frustrated they don't even see this. Regardless they want the grind gone again.

The problem is BW designed this expac with the grind in mind and they are not going to make it go away. What makes me annoyed as ALL HELL is that if BW had launched KotFE with companions as they are now we would not have all this anger and name calling, we would not have all this hyperbole. We would have just had the age old complaints of grind, MMOs being a second job etc. So we would have annoyed players but not raging players.

I have always felt these games aren't rocket science and as such there really is no such thing as a "bad" player. There are also too many types of content to allow you to really define someone as "bad." I know players who only solo that put the most hardcore raiders to shame in terms of rotation and situational awareness, but some of those raiders would, sadly, call him bad because he didn't kill some NiM boss. Because of this I have always defined players as those who succeed and those who do not.

Success does not start or even require being an expert at something, it starts with your attitude. Now I can appreciate having a negative attitude towards BW because they screwed up the launch this bad but don't have a negative attitude towards yourself or feed the negative attitudes other may hold towards you. I say towards yourself because I see people in frustration saying "I can't do this one H2..." But they miss that they should be adding to the end of that sentence "...right now but if I do the grind BW intended me to do then I will succeed. When I succeed I will show that jerk who called me a bad that I wasn't bad, he just had the play time to finish that grind of companion affection, gear and Alliance reputation before I did."

And that is why I find posts like yours troubling. They feed the idea that a "casual player" can't succeed. I work 12 hour shifts 8pm to 8am with A LOT of overtime to boot, i will be married 13 years this month, have a workout schedule a large extended family, social life etc. I have managed to solo all the H2s successfully. It is harder than it was for sure. Other classes may need a little more gear than mine does, so that likely benefits me BUT we will all be able to do it.

If you want to say there should be no grind required...I get that, as I said it's been a complaint about MMOs since forever. If you want to go at BW not only for having a solo grind but from launching the companions the way they did, i get that too. But to say "it can't be done" without the all important "right now" is just wrong and it discourages players who otherwise would be able to succeed if they weren't discouraged by hyperbole.

"One of the things that we felt was really important with Knights of the Fallen Empire was to make it a love letter to all of you, our players. It is your passion and support over the years that has allowed us to go on this incredible journey together."

Bruce Maclean

Senior Producer

That one made me smile ...

I thought this thread could use a bump. The quote above? What does that post mean? Why is little fellow even posting; over and over? Someone expresses their concerns as asked, and this little joker has to rebut every post as if he is in a debate. I find him mostly intelligible. He ends that silliness, above, saying it depends upon balance... that is this thread, we are discussing our experiences and how the balance has been thrown off. It is why the original post was made. This is not an argument, but a collection of how this patch has affected people. There is no argument here, but there is a group that seems unable to let people post without taking a swipe at them.

If you have given your thoughts, then quit and read what others have experienced. Most likely you will agree with most of them, some may not. No debate here. Rebuttals will make no difference and were not requested. I am sorry for the sake of this sad little character, in that people happy with the patch are not posting. With this little fellow's psychological knowledge and incredible insight into the minds of others, I would think him aware that people do not come to the forums to say that they like the way things are. They come here to discuss concerns and ask for help. Then, there are folks like this little fellow that seem to hang out here, making sure no one can express an opinion with which he disagrees, or else!

Hard to tell if these folks are getting paid or are just ignorant little trolls. hehe

PS- Oh no! I dread going back to the game so much now that I have become a forum troll... I will check back tomorrow!

Edited by Draewind