These 4 threads all ask the same questions,can we get answers?

Kianabamin

While I am sometimes doing PvP, it is not my favorite playstyle. There are way too many people playing for maximum damage/healing and not playing to win via objectives. This ruins my whole experience because I can either try to take objectives alone, which only works in few cases, or joining everyone who zergs which is not what I enjoy spending my time with.

Why did you decide to focus on PvP? Why favor one group of players and force everyone else into that playstyle? Why not offer companions for GSF, flashpoints, operations? Why only PvP?

Just because we received one yellow post doesn't mean this thread is over. I expect more posts that will respond to our concerns and I expect a policy change on BioWare's part. Forcing PvP onto players while ignoring PvE content is a bad decision.

I wouldn't expect much in the way of a detail reply from Bioware, we've seen this same issue appear in other aspects of the game such as conquests, where the vast majority of PVE objectives are restricted to once per legacy per week while PVP has the repeatable queue up and zerg warzones objectives every single week.

Multiple posts have asked question or offered suggestions on how to support all play-styles, from those that enjoy operations to those that love flashpoints to even those that consider PVP to be their end-game, all without any action, not even feedback, from Bioware (unless you consider nerfing crafting to the ground, removing repeatable flashpoint / ops objectives, and changing Heroics to weeklies instead of dailies action).

Also interesting to note is that the one PVP objective companion doesn't actually require players who actively participate in PVP to do anything as they can bypass the warzone objectives simply by having reached rank 40 valor, even if they did that afk on Ilum way back at launch.

Try telling Qyzen you've already killed every known world boss and see if he'll join your Alliance.

How does it make sense that the PVP companion mission doesn't require PVP players to actually PVP while every other non-PVP companion mission doesn't make any kind of allowance for mission related activities the player may have completed prior to KotFE?

Edited by DawnAskham

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't really care about locking optional companions behind PvP or whatever as long as you could still progress the story, but if you're also locking other companions behind the ones people would skip because they hate PvP or certain other grinds, that would be a *huge* mistake.

Nah, I'll just afk in the warzones and be a drag on everyone. Hell, I encourage everyone who dislikes this PVP decision to do the same.

We don't want to be there, and I'm betting by the time we're done, you won't want us back ever again.

How do you get away with going afk? I tried it once last Friday and I was almost immediately noticed as afk and subsequently had a kick initiated on me?

Good on the devs for not backing down from PVP missions for companions, and I hope they do introduce more. If you want the companion that requires PVP, then you PVP. If you don't want to PVP, you don't get the companion.

How is it any different from anything else in the game?

If you want the PVP gear for looks for outfits, you have to PVP.

If you want the shiny purples, you have to raid.

If you don't do these then you don't get the reward. Why shouldn't this be similar? None of these companions requiring PVP are -required-. You don't NEED them. They're not tied to PVE progression, and because of the new choice of companion spec, they're interchangeable. There is nothing so unique and life altering about these companions that they should make them more available.

It isn't even a protest, it's just acting like a baby. Guess we see the true colors of some people when faced with having to play the game differently to get something they want. Spoiled brats, the lot of them.

I think you are missing a point here people pay monthly subscriptions for a specific game, I do not pay my subscription to participate in PvP.

How do you get away with going afk? I tried it once last Friday and I was almost immediately noticed as afk and subsequently had a kick initiated on me?

I'm gonna hang out near the action and every now and again randomly shoot the enemy with something trivial. Just barely enough to keep from getting vote-kicked.

Mind you, I'm gonna be queuing up as heals and/or tanking. Gotta maximize the hatred generated, you know.

Maybe if I piss off enough PVPers into opening a ticket, they might address the issue. Either way, if I have to be miserable in there, so does the rest of my team.

I think you are missing a point here people pay monthly subscriptions for a specific game, I do not pay my subscription to participate in PvP.

No, the point is if you don't want to PVP, don't get the companion. In the event they lock some other companion behind PVP as well, you'll face the same choice. How much do you want said companion?

But there is a 3rd option of course, and that's what the babies in this thread are doing: going in to PVP and crying in a corner for their games. It's just rather sad behavior from a group of people because they can't get what they want by doing what they want.

In reality it is no different than queuing up for a flashpoint or operation and sitting in the corner while the rest of the group finishes it, because you want an achievement or some crap. I guess you could run in at the last second to tap the boss for kill/loot credit (if that's even required) too.

Edited by hadoken

I talked to Matt about Alliance, Companions, and your questions specifically related to accessing future Companions. Between this thread and the ones linked in the OP, I think there are two main questions you are looking to have addressed.

Will I need to complete currently available alert Missions to unlock future alert Missions?

As of right now, the answer to this is yes. Inside of each Alliance Companion type (Military, Underworld, etc), the Companion recruitment alerts are very much looked at like a Mission chain. Generally, you must complete one alert Mission before you will receive the next. Note that you only need to complete the Mission itself, not necessarily recruit any Companion associated with it. There may be exceptions to this later on, for story reasons, but this is the general rule right now. It is worth noting that this is something the dev team is talking about, so it could change, but this is how it works right now.

Will I need to PvP for future Companions / Will I need to unlock Companions like Pierce to access future Companions?

The answer to your question is maybe. We are open to the possibility of future PvP related Companions/Mission content which could require the completion of M1-4X/Pierce's Missions. That said, we would not likely have PvE related content require it.

I think that should answer the primary questions that you have! Let me know if anything requires further clarification. Thanks!

-eric

If you want to make pvp a requirement for certain companions then by all means do so. I just won't get them.

But, to make it so you HAVE to do it because recruiting 4x and Pierce leads to recruiting other companions, is an extremely poor design. This is the same as making it a requirement to complete a HM Op to recruit a companion. Not everyone enjoys doing Operations, the same as people not enjoying doing PvP for 4-10 hours (depending on win/loss received).

If you want people to do PvP to recruit 4x and Pierce (and for some reason additional companions), fine. But give us the option to tell them to go to hell and move on to the next companion alert in the chain.

No, the point is if you don't want to PVP, don't get the companion. In the event they lock some other companion behind PVP as well, you'll face the same choice. How much do you want said companion?

But there is a 3rd option of course, and that's what the babies in this thread are doing: going in to PVP and crying in a corner for their games. It's just rather sad behavior from a group of people because they can't get what they want by doing what they want.

In reality it is no different than queuing up for a flashpoint or operation and sitting in the corner while the rest of the group finishes it, because you want an achievement or some crap. I guess you could run in at the last second to tap the boss for kill/loot credit (if that's even required) too.

You get the companion for doing Warzones, not PVPing.

Huge difference.

You can force me into Warzones, but you can't make me PVP.

Edited by Infernixx

I talked to Matt about Alliance, Companions, and your questions specifically related to accessing future Companions. Between this thread and the ones linked in the OP, I think there are two main questions you are looking to have addressed.

Will I need to complete currently available alert Missions to unlock future alert Missions?

As of right now, the answer to this is yes. Inside of each Alliance Companion type (Military, Underworld, etc), the Companion recruitment alerts are very much looked at like a Mission chain. Generally, you must complete one alert Mission before you will receive the next. Note that you only need to complete the Mission itself, not necessarily recruit any Companion associated with it. There may be exceptions to this later on, for story reasons, but this is the general rule right now. It is worth noting that this is something the dev team is talking about, so it could change, but this is how it works right now.

Will I need to PvP for future Companions / Will I need to unlock Companions like Pierce to access future Companions?

The answer to your question is maybe. We are open to the possibility of future PvP related Companions/Mission content which could require the completion of M1-4X/Pierce's Missions. That said, we would not likely have PvE related content require it.

I think that should answer the primary questions that you have! Let me know if anything requires further clarification. Thanks!

-eric

Hey thats good news. Now I can save myself the time and NOT do the KotFE story on any alts that would have to PVP. Do it once on my main (already wasted that time) and screw doing it anymore with a 20 warzone match hurdle.

Dude you know how much time you just saved me? You're the man.

Edited by Quraswren

You get the companion for doing Warzones, not PVPing.

Huge difference.

You force me into Warzones, but you can't make me PVP.

It isn't different at all. You get rewarded by being in an activity, but not necessarily participating in it.

They should probably change it to not just games but a certain amount of medals or some other performance statistic :p

It isn't different at all. You get rewarded by being in an activity, but not necessarily participating in it.

They should probably change it to not just games but a certain amount of medals or some other performance statistic :p

but then you'd be punishing most of the really terrible players you have in PVP. Not everyone can get a medal, you know.

Face it, you're carrying me or I'm dragging you down. Because I sure as hell aren't going to be doing anything more than doing the barest minimum to keep from getting kicked out.

Don't like carrying perfectly capable players? Go complain to BW. Otherwise, be quiet and get back to carrying me.

I'm gonna hang out near the action and every now and again randomly shoot the enemy with something trivial. Just barely enough to keep from getting vote-kicked.

Mind you, I'm gonna be queuing up as heals and/or tanking. Gotta maximize the hatred generated, you know.

Maybe if I piss off enough PVPers into opening a ticket, they might address the issue. Either way, if I have to be miserable in there, so does the rest of my team.

Let me tell you. When I ran my sage through that warzone garbage I was highly disliked. I'm like you, if I have to do something that miserable in a game like pvp (and I think I started with valor rank 2 cause I don't don't pvp and only got that high because someone attacked out conquest group and I got it by healing someone) then while I'm miserable, so will the rest of the team.

Rescue pull people into the slime so it kills them.

I only healed with force wave and then tried to use it so I could push back people before the killing blow. Given them time to get healed.

Rescue pull the ball carrier the wrong way or into the enemy.

So much you can do and not go AFK.

I turned the pvp requirement into a minigame that entertained me. 16 straight losses and how we won twice is beyond me as I was going for 20.

A PVE story with required PVP so you can get a PVE companion just to continue the story. I'm not sure who came up with that fubar idea but damn.

Edited by Quraswren

The sad point every PvP player is missing is the alliance is a STORY (ie PvE) based quest it should never in a million years have PvP tied to it (maybe as an option but also give a PvE alternative) and based on the fact that it reads as if future companions may be hidden behind the Pierce/Forex quest, a quest I remind you cannot remove, it either sits in the alliance screen or in you quest log.

If PvP players are that desperate for a reward companion fine!! just do not tie it to the alliance quests, I am perfectly ok with PvP rewards being a brand new companion just don't tie it in with my story.

Let me tell you. When I ran my sage through that warzone garbage I was highly disliked. I'm like you, if I have to do something that miserable in a game like pvp (and I think I started with valor rank 2 cause I don't don't pvp and only got that high because someone attacked out conquest group and I got it by healing someone) then while I'm miserable, so will the rest of the team.

Rescue pull people into the slime so it kills them.

I only healed with force wave and then tried to use it so I could push back people before the killing blow. Given them time to get healed.

Rescue pull the ball carrier the wrong way or into the enemy.

So much you can do and not go AFK.

I turned the pvp requirement into a minigame that entertained me. 16 straight losses and how we won twice is beyond me as I was going for 20.

Wonderful suggestions. I'll take any and all hints and suggestions for how to sabotage and enrage my teammates while staying active enough to not get vote-kicked.

Personally I dislike PvP with a passion always have done in every MMO Ive ever played, however with the new companion system I don't see a need to recruit every companion out there on every character I have, provided, and this is the important bit, that my not recruiting M14X / Pierce on characters other than my Trooper / Sith Warrior doesn't mean I cannot progress my alliance recruitment in future chapters.

So long as this is the case feel free to gate companions behind PvP objectives, just don't try and force players who don't like PvP to do so, this is a game after all we are playing something we enjoy.

I dont get what the big fuss is about 4X/Pierce.. Qyzen and Lokin are infinitely more annoying to grind, with Lokin even requiring you to be online at certain dates.

I dont PvP on most of my alts, but i'll gladly do the pvp daily every once in a while to eventually grab him and the pvp relics.

But doing loops on Hoth and moneysinking millions of credits into biochem mats only to be forced into the rak'ghoul event on 20+ chars?

Odds of that happening is approximately three thousand seven hundred and twenty to one.

Lol, you can always get 190 gear to get bolstered. I got tons of ziost comms from dailes, might as well spend it on 190 gear.

And then just rapid shot here and there so I don't get AFK kicked because screw PVP in this game. Having two screens will help a lot, gotta tons of netflix to catch up.

What's the average WZ match time anyway? 15 mins? 20 matches. That's 5 hours. Damn son, that's first 5 episodes of Daredevil, and I get WZ comms to buy some stronghold decorations.

And for guys QQ-ing they will run around in WZ with no gear - nobody cares. Just AFK, play some Hearthstone or something.

Edited by Feanar

but then you'd be punishing most of the really terrible players you have in PVP. Not everyone can get a medal, you know.

Face it, you're carrying me or I'm dragging you down. Because I sure as hell aren't going to be doing anything more than doing the barest minimum to keep from getting kicked out.

Don't like carrying perfectly capable players? Go complain to BW. Otherwise, be quiet and get back to carrying me.

Again I feel the need to point out that the only person you're making look bad with this behavior is yourself.

I realize you don't care and don't have much of a moral compass, but it needed be said.

The only person who can "force" you into WZs is you.

To continue the PVE story you must do the PVP part so no. You are forced to do PVP even if you have never stepped into PVP. No matter how much you dislike PVP, you have to do it to keep the PVE story moving.

This is not like being someone whole enjoys PVP but dislikes a certain map or someone that really enjoys PVE but dislikes certain quests.

You are forced to do PVP as a PVE player to continue the story. And that pretty screwed up when it comes to design. PVE and PVP are just so widely liked and disliked they should never cross unless it actually is entirely optional.

Put a companion behind PVP but don't force PVP play to keep seeing the story. Make that garbage a side mission with it's own little story and if you want the companion and see that mission, have at it.

-eric

Thanks very much for the response!

Not necessarily the answers that I want, but I do really appreciate the answers.

Good on the devs for not backing down from PVP missions for companions, and I hope they do introduce more. If you want the companion that requires PVP, then you PVP. If you don't want to PVP, you don't get the companion.

How is it any different from anything else in the game?

If you want the PVP gear for looks for outfits, you have to PVP.

If you want the shiny purples, you have to raid.

If you don't do these then you don't get the reward. Why shouldn't this be similar? None of these companions requiring PVP are -required-. You don't NEED them. They're not tied to PVE progression, and because of the new choice of companion spec, they're interchangeable. There is nothing so unique and life altering about these companions that they should make them more available.

I completely agree with you!

Now, please tell me where I can click to give up on the companion to finish/conclude the mission/alliance alert, so I prevent it from hanging in my log forever (and possibly blocking further missions/alliance alerts).

Again I feel the need to point out that the only person you're making look bad with this behavior is yourself.

I realize you don't care and don't have much of a moral compass, but it needed be said.

It really didn't, but hey! At least you tried! Gold star for you.