Why aren't Galactic trade centers linked?

Necrosia

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the issue that I see is this: if they make the Hutt Cartel kiosks more accessible, by placing them on Ilum or Tattooine or what have you, it will kill the faction-specific GTN. And if it somehow doesn't kill the faction-specific GTNs, but nevertheless becomes more widely used, it's going to mean that whenever you want to buy something, you need to travel to two seperate planets to check for the best prices. That's aggravating.

On the flip side, I like that the Hutt Cartel Network isn't widely used, because it means I can easily transfer items to my lowbie Republic toons from my 50 SW. If I put a Might Hilt 10 on the Nar Shaddaa AH for 15 credits, I can be reasonably sure that no one will have bought it by the time I log out my SW and log in my JK.

Actually one and probably more companion quests take you back to Nar Shadaa.

Trooper Companion Aric Jorgen first companion quest is L31 or so. Takes yo to Shadowtown.

You kinda missed my point. Nar Shaddaa is not a place you need to go to regularly.

Also since it was asked a few times in this thread - the GTN terminals are on the lower prominade.

Edited by EternallSlumber

I would use the Nar Shadda network more if it wasn't just level 20 gear people sell there. I would love to sell some of the lvl 40 dark sabers I keep picking up their but no one goes there for that high of gear. I just have to hope someone is playing a Dark Jedi which not many do. It is why you see 100's of dark gear sales and no light side items for sale as people snatch those up.

And please people start selling crafting material for the love of!!

This is actually a really cool idea that works thematically as well.

+1 for galactic linked markets across factions.

No it doesn't, not even remotely so. The Hutts are basically the mob on steroids, a criminal enterprise who controls a small sector in the galaxy. They work in the open on Nar Shaddaa because that is their world. In the movies Era, they are active on Tatooine because it is too remote for Imperial/Alliance control. On Nar Shaddaa and other Hutt controlled planets, the Empire and the Republic are guests. In Republic space or Imperial space, they are criminals who bear extreme scrutiny.

To suggest you could go down to any mall on Coruscant and visit the local "Hutts 'R Us" and pick up illegal Imperial merchandise (or Republic on Imperial trade networks) is hardly something that fits "thematically." There is nothing about it that fits the lore.

What fits the lore is that the Republic GTN and the Imperial GTN are separate and inaccessible to the opposite faction. What fits the lore is that, in Hutt controlled space (or areas), you would have a separate, disconnected HCTN that either faction can purchase goods on the black market. And that is what we have.

Argue that it would be fitting to have more HCTN terminals in places that were on Hutt or neutral territory so that the black market is more accessible. However, the suggestion that you could drop by any GTN terminal and buy goods from either faction is an argument for convenience over any semblance of trying to adhere to the lore. Neither the Republic nor the Empire would turn over control of their trade networks to the Hutts. Suggesting it is somehow thematically fitting is somewhat silly.

No it doesn't, not even remotely so. The Hutts are basically the mob on steroids, a criminal enterprise who controls a small sector in the galaxy. They work in the open on Nar Shaddaa because that is their world. In the movies Era, they are active on Tatooine because it is too remote for Imperial/Alliance control. On Nar Shaddaa and other Hutt controlled planets, the Empire and the Republic are guests. In Republic space or Imperial space, they are criminals who bear extreme scrutiny.

To suggest you could go down to any mall on Coruscant and visit the local "Hutts 'R Us" and pick up illegal Imperial merchandise (or Republic on Imperial trade networks) is hardly something that fits "thematically." There is nothing about it that fits the lore.

What fits the lore is that the Republic GTN and the Imperial GTN are separate and inaccessible to the opposite faction. What fits the lore is that, in Hutt controlled space (or areas), you would have a separate, disconnected HCTN that either faction can purchase goods on the black market. And that is what we have.

Argue that it would be fitting to have more HCTN terminals in places that were on Hutt or neutral territory so that the black market is more accessible. However, the suggestion that you could drop by any GTN terminal and buy goods from either faction is an argument for convenience over any semblance of trying to adhere to the lore. Neither the Republic nor the Empire would turn over control of their trade networks to the Hutts. Suggesting it is somehow thematically fitting is somewhat silly.

Which is why I say, let us have an option to slice into the hutt network from fleet terminals. Its plausable and convenient.

• 3 weeks later...
I dont care so much about where they are. They have to be the most un-user friendly AH's Ive ever had the pleasure of using. Too many drop downs, no simple search for items for specific slots. Hell you cant even search for an item by name without aligning the stars first.

Well it does not seem to work at all on my server, its pretty much empty. While I guess I understand they wanted to separate neutral GTN, I can't for the life of me imagine people running through 3 loading screens and 20 minutes travel around to check prices on it. Ilum would work, putting one on fleet would work, but a planet that you have no reason whatsoever to be on? And hidden in lower promenade miles away from a taxi too... by the time I reach it I already forgot what I was looking for, let alone the price on imp fleet one.

The only problem with this is...nobody uses it, Georg.

Nar Shadda is a smallish, lowbie-level planet where people which people are on for maybe 4-5 levels. I'd be shocked if the average player spends more than ~ 6 hours of gaming time on the planet total on any given character. My experience in the game so far is that nobody who is currently questing on any other planet in the SWTOR universe is going to interrupt what they are doing and take 20 minutes out and load through a half dozen loading screens just to get from whatever planet they are on to Nar Shadda to use the linked-to-nothing-else-in-SWTOR Nar Shadda GTN's, on the offchance that some random soul from the opposite faction MIGHT have gone through all the hassle to do the same thing.

Ok stopped reading through the thread at this post here. This hits the nail on the head right here. I have gone to Nar Shadaa after I've leveled out to search the market but found it was just a waste of time as there was virtually nothing listed for sale. For this to work, there needs to be more "neutral" markets on other planets as well like Tatooine at least and any other neutral planets.

But the real answer to the question the OP posed "Why aren't Galatic trade centers linked?" is because they aren't in WoW. Even though WoW has a neutral AH located in two spots (that I know of), last time I played, that market was greatly under utilized as well for buying and selling to other players.

There are two other 2-faction games I know that share Auction Houses because somewhere down the line someone decided it was in the best interest of their population to do so.

The GTN in Nar Shaddaa is linked between factions, but not with the one on the Fleet. This allows you to sell various items of interest for the opposite faction such as companion gifts, weapon and armor schematics and some other items that can only be found by one or the other faction (as well as take advantage of faction based price deviations and commodity shortages).

What about the GTN on Tatooine? Is that one linked to both fleets?

Sure it is, there shouldn't be a neutral GM. A way to browse the opposing factions GM sure, but not a separate market on a planet people only go in their 20's.

No this isn't about republic markets not being linked to republic markets, because they are. Post something on Coruscant and yes it is available for purchase at the republic fleet.

The problem is there is no connection between the republic network, the hutt network and the imperial network.

There isn't supposed to be a connection between the Republic and Imperial networks: they are intended to be used by those specific sides with no interaction between any other networks. The trade network on Nar Shadda is intended specifically for those who wish to sell something to the other side. That is the purpose of that network.

In other words, it's not a valid complaint and it's working as intended.

existance of neutral trading network is perfectly fine but if using it is as tedius as to travel to certain location that is behind 2-3 minute and half a doeen loading screen trek, people will not use it.

make it a tab in the regular trade network gui and fix the gtn gui while youre doing that.

Edited by hurja

The problem is there is no connection between the republic network, the hutt network and the imperial network.

that's the design; it's not a problem

if you want to sell stuff on your faction use the GTN. If you want to sell or buy stuff from the other faction use the Hutt network

@devs: Lore aside, the AH system now is bad. Like really bad. On Kelian Jarro you can only find at max 2 pages of items for any category, like Implants, Focus, etc. So thats at max 16 items. Most i found were 3 pages of crafting ingredients. So 24. I did a search earlyer today and could only find grade 1 biochem mats. yey.

Give us one AH to rule them all. No one is gonna go through 7-8 loading screens just to get to Nar Shada and post something there when the guys checking the AH on Fleet cant see your wares.

If there are people who dont want to sell to "the other guys" just make a checkbox on the item selling page "mark this if you dont want the other faction to buy your stuff".

Everyone will be happier -> more goods on AH, easier to get the things you need.

I've played Lotro for 4 years, I know that lore is important. But sometimes gameplay>lore.

This multiple AH business is really bad for anyone who enjoys crafting.

The most awesome thing you could do for crafters - after the redesign of the awful AH interface - is to make ONE GTN for the entire game. So all the shards would use the same AH, no matter the server you're playing on. That would be epic.

I totally agree. Also, put one on every planet.

There isn't supposed to be a connection between the Republic and Imperial networks: they are intended to be used by those specific sides with no interaction between any other networks. The trade network on Nar Shadda is intended specifically for those who wish to sell something to the other side. That is the purpose of that network.

In other words, it's not a valid complaint and it's working as intended.

Just because the market is working as it was originally intended doesn't mean that it is working well. Your comment didn't really address the legitimate issues with the way the current system works. As far as I can tell there is really only one reason that people might not want the markets linked, Role Playing / Lore. I've seen a few others post similar comments but I'll repeat it. Add another option for selling each item to allow / deny opposite faction from purchasing your item.

Just because the market is working as it was originally intended doesn't mean that it is working well. Your comment didn't really address the legitimate issues with the way the current system works. As far as I can tell there is really only one reason that people might not want the markets linked, Role Playing / Lore. I've seen a few others post similar comments but I'll repeat it. Add another option for selling each item to allow / deny opposite faction from purchasing your item.

I agree. Lore is a fine excuse but the fact is the underpopulated side on a server (usually Republic) has enough of an issue with pvp/faction imbalances to add the issues of an unhealthy market.

The market needs a certain critical mass, in that if what you are looking for usually isn;t available then you quit looking for it at all. So less things sell and for cheaper prices. I have characters on both sides on one server and there are some significant price disparities. it costs more to buy crafting mats and green/blue drops are hard to sell even at a significant discount to base prices.

The more populated side has cheaper mats and more people buying goods so in general prices are more in parity and crafting works better by far. (as well as being able to auction random drops instead of vendoring them)

I parked a mule at the fleet becuase the travel times were a PITA. I could on NS as well but I really think a merged market would be better for the game overall regardless of the lore.

---

As an example City of Heroes/Villians merged their markets a few years ago -- plus their market system is for ALL servers and not just one. So you can always find what you are looking for, and pricing is less in flux.

I've sold lots of things on it o.O

TBH it makes perfect sense to me. Its located on a Hutt controlled world, therefore the Imperials nor Republic would have a say in it market.

Repbulic and Imperial markets are controlled by each sides government ( or whatever it would be) and wouldn't want the Hutt Cartel moving in.

Now I do think the idea of having a terminal that links up to it on each Fleet is a pretty good idea.

I guess it all makes sense....and I can handle having to go to a Hutt planet to sell to the opposing faction. The funny thing is, I had no clue about this. I saw an auction terminal and used it - it sure would be nice if Bioware made the player aware that the terminals in NS aren't linked to the Republic but are neutral. Maybe I'm not that observant - which could easily be the case. But if I'm missing that little piece of information, I can guarantee I'm not the only one.

I can confirm your last statement.

I did NOT have a clue to the Nar Shaddaa GTN being independent from the faction GTN.

I must confess I am glad - I use the Steamwheedle Cartel Auction House (Winterspring/Booty Bay) alot in WoW to pass items from Alliance to Horde alt's & vice versa. Glad this is included in SW:TOR :cool:

If there's a GTN terminal on Tatooine, I'd like to know where it is!

Guaranteed true fact. There is IN FACT a GTN terminal on Tatooine. Its in the lawless open pvp area, can't remember the name of it atm (maybe Outlaw's Den?). Beware going in there, whether you are flagged or not, makes you eligible to be attacked by members of the other faction.

Guaranteed true fact. There is IN FACT a GTN terminal on Tatooine. Its in the lawless open pvp area, can't remember the name of it atm (maybe Outlaw's Den?). Beware going in there, whether you are flagged or not, makes you eligible to be attacked by members of the other faction.

Wow...shopping there would be like a Black Friday stampede at Wally-mart! You think you're going to go in, get your stuff, and get out safely only to end up brutalized and left to twitch in a heap on the floor! :eek:

Wow...shopping there would be like a Black Friday stampede at Wally-mart! You think you're going to go in, get your stuff, and get out safely only to end up brutalized and left to twitch in a heap on the floor! :eek:

Now that you mention it....

that did exactly happen one time to me....lvl 50 sith type person just blew me into atoms and rode off on his speeder laughing...dur :eek: