KotFE,...really? This story is so cliche and predictable it's sad....

Suromir

Actually there kind of is, it's part of the Jedi Knight's original storyline. I'll post a link to a youtube video in first spoiler field below that explains the important part. Be aware though that if you haven't played a Jedi Knight yet, you'll basically spoil yourself the entire second and third chapter of the Jedi Knight's original storyline by watching it.

The relevant part starts at 5:25 and goes till the end.

And for those who watched it:

This does raise one other question though, why should Ziost have changed things for him?

Oh I know about Nathema and Ziost but still, I wouldn't say it would make him that powerful and even if it did why would it get passed down into his children?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Valkorion was overpowered as a child, trained by the Emperor of the Sith, created the Star Wars equivalent of a philosopher's stone, became the Emperor of the Sith and lived for a thousand years. What makes it hard to believe that he (and his offspring) would be immensely powerful?

Again while Valkorion is understandable (having nommed two planets) but why would it pass on to his children? To me it just stinks of one-upping.

Well, he lived for a thousand of years, which was allowed by consuming power (and life) from several of the most powerful Sith Lords that survived the Great Hyperspace War, and then did the same to another planet full of people on Ziost.

So there certainly is a good explanation as to "why is he so OP"

I get why Valky is but his children? Did that energy get passed to them? Plus they even mention that Vaylin TK'd a table while still in the womb which is just... ugh.

Edited by PadsterPwns

Oh I know about Nathema and Ziost but still, I wouldn't say it would make him that powerful and even if it did why would it get passed down into his children?

I was only talking about Valkorion actually, his children's power comes from an entirely different source, the never to underestimate power of plot convenience, always keeping their power at the right level for the right time, like how Vaylin, described as such a force monster at first, can later be easily defeated by her less than impressive mother.

Edited by trueKieran

SoR has more replayability than KotFE by far...I'm dreading going through it a second time..and even SoR didn't make me feel like that...though Makeb did.

I have to disagree on this point.

I've finished KotFE 3 times since tuesday and I'm going to do it 2 more times this week (I have 2 more level 55s that need to be run through revan and fallen empire, I'll get to my other 5 characters when they get to 55).

I couldn't get through shadow of revan once.

Decided to watch the cutscenes for part of revan and all of Ziost on youtube because I got really bored with it at some point on Yavin 4 but didn't want to miss the story.

Edit:

I will agree though that Makeb bores the hell out of me.

Edited by Kekczar

I was only talking about Valkorion actually, his children's power comes from an entirely different source, the never to underestimate power of plot convenience, always keeping their power at the right level for the right time, like how Vaylin, described as such a force monster at first, can later be easily defeated by her less than impressive mother.

My answer to that is below:

Which is also explained by her mother to our characters: Her father locked away part of her powers, and thus part of her mind and who she really "was." And nothing was said or indicated that those mental locks have yet been broken.

Kind of like the Professor-X thing with young Jean Grey in later X-Men variations.

Edited by Jumajin

My answer to that is below:

Which is also explained by her mother to our characters: Her father locked away part of her powers, and thus part of her mind and who she really "was." And nothing was said or indicated that those mental locks have yet been broken.

Kind of like the Professor-X thing with young Jean Grey in later X-Men variations.

But her mother also said that

Vaylin was no longer under her father's control not long before she defeated her at Asylum

Yeap -- never underestimate the awesome might of plot contrivance... it even surpasses the raw power of the cut-scene or the codex entry.

I have to disagree on this point.

I've finished KotFE 3 times since tuesday and I'm going to do it 2 more times this week (I have 2 more level 55s that need to be run through revan and fallen empire, I'll get to my other 5 characters when they get to 55).

I couldn't get through shadow of revan once.

Decided to watch the cutscenes for part of revan and all of Ziost on youtube because I got really bored with it at some point on Yavin 4 but didn't want to miss the story.

Edit:

I will agree though that Makeb bores the hell out of me.

I have to agree with you on this. I've gone through SOR a total of 6 times, and I hope that I never have to do it again. Now don't get me wrong, I LOVED SOR the first 2 times I played through it. After that though, I found the process of going through my alts and all the flashpoints and the entire rest of the story to be mind-numbingly boring. So far, I've completed all most all my characters in KOTFE, and I've still enjoyed it every single time. Sure there are things that could be better, but nothing is perfect, and I've decided to just be happy with what we got. But hey, that's just my opinion.:p

Agreed with OP. BW did too much with 4.0. I cannot stand lvl synch, heroic grind with low lvl loot, Companion re-working is ok as it adds some new blood to the cast, but almost no interaction so far beside the new main peeps. (T7 on my Sorc is awesome) Also wondering why my Sorc needed phase walk. I love it but I am wondering what brought this on...

I want a chapter released where I become so powerful and have the option of destroying everything. It would take centuries to rebuild and by that time, a new hope would come around. Luckily, Bioware doesn't have rights to that time frame so we are safe from the temptation of another bad expansion.

This game was really good back in the day. MMO's live off of interesting end game content. All I see if a story that will last a couple of days at best, and the same operations we have done 10000 billion times. Personally, I lost interest in this expansion after playing 4 chapters and it is pretty disappointing.

If others like it, by all means support Bioware and maybe they will use your money to actually make something worthwhile for me to play. Anyways, the long wait allowed me to try FFXIV and that is a game everyone should try. If SWTOR and FFXIV married and had a kid that had elements from both games, that would be epic.

No you cant have my stuff.

I get why Valky is but his children? Did that energy get passed to them? Plus they even mention that Vaylin TK'd a table while still in the womb which is just... ugh.

No idea where the line about TKing a table is (maybe only some choices in Senya's conversations I have not made). If it is a random talk, then it could very well be a myth

Well, Arcann says that their parents "gave" them their power, so who knows, maybe Valkorion shared some of his power with them? We know that children of powerful Force Sensitives have the potential to be just as powerful, if not more. We also know that other Emperor's "children" were granted spectacular powers (a sliver of Emperor's power) by some kind of ritual when they were children.

Or maybe something completely different? There are still many things that need to be explained (like the obviously DS artifact in the heart of Gravestone), so maybe the explanation why they are so powerful is still coming?

No idea where the line about TKing a table is (maybe only some choices in Senya's conversations I have not made). If it is a random talk, then it could very well be a myth

It's pretty confirmed I believe :)

Senya tells you she moved furniture while in her womb, crushed droids as a toddler...and that she was somehow held back by Valkorion's power, he restreined her somehow.

It's pretty confirmed I believe :)

Senya tells you she moved furniture while in her womb, crushed droids as a toddler...and that she was somehow held back by Valkorion's power, he restreined her somehow.

Oh I am sure it was mentioned, but as with many such things, it might not get mentioned unless you make a specific conversation choice. I am pretty sure it was in the sewers during chapter 7, but I only got the part about Valkorion being absentminded (IMO he was being Vitiate at those times or acting through one of his Voices) and caging Vailyin's mind and her personality (sounded a bit like Rite of tranquility from Dragon Age games), as I was soft and told Senya she doesn't need to talk about it...

I meant my "it could be myth" that if it was something heard from some passerby on Zakuul, it may be a complete fabrication to make the ruling family seem super powerful. Not in "it is a myth" that someone of the forums fabricated it.

However, I am sure that the restraining happened later after she was already a bit more grown up. WHen she was a child, she seems like she was a raw power.

But, as I said, it is entirely possible that power of all three kids were result of Valkorion trying to create a suitable vessel for his power (or an heir once he decided to move on). Nobody said that kind of stuff could not be done to the child while it still was in the womb (because space magic).

Edited by Aries_cz

If others like it, by all means support Bioware and maybe they will use your money to actually make something worthwhile for me to play. Anyways, the long wait allowed me to try FFXIV and that is a game everyone should try. If SWTOR and FFXIV married and had a kid that had elements from both games, that would be epic.

Ugh, no. FFXIV is an awful game, by far one of the worst out there :/ Chineese grind game, ew.

I liked the story. It is not going to win Nobel prize,and it is not the Best Thing is sci-fi this decade (not even this year) but for a video game,and especially after last expansion pirates the story is actually enjoyable and that's what really matters for the genre.

And please do not try to give Bioware ideas about trying going non-cliche. This road is paved with Glowing kids and green nonsense. And since we did not see the endings of KOTFE yet......

While I find the WAY they tell the story (new angles, etc) very well done the story itself is so predictable, full of cliche's, and the like....the story itself is bad, even if the way it's told is great.

There are way too many "cringe worthy" moments in the story....too many of the jokes just reek of trying too hard...the way your character kinda "struts" in most scenes is absolutely asinine and stupid looking.

Overall I'm not very impressed with this expansion due to the over-use and failed "jokes" on top of the predicatability and absurd cliche's that are riddles throughout the story (up to chptr 8 at least) Even if HOW it's told (again angles and whatnot) is well done....

SoR has more replayability than KotFE by far...I'm dreading going through it a second time..and even SoR didn't make me feel like that...though Makeb did.

I've been subbed (mostly, on and off for a month or two here and there for various reasons) since launch (open beta) and with the stupidity of forced level-sync and the lackluster storyline so far with KotFE I'm considering canceling my sub for the first time for "good" (at least an extended period of time)

eh..KotFE is just kinda meh....certainly far from there best work and not even up to par with the original 8 stories (I mean in quality, not in length)

No you can't have my stuff if I leave.

Waiting to read your bestseller when it hits the bookshelves ;)

It's Star Wars, Star wars is about bad guy vs good guys. All the movies, all the comics and side stories are cliché, did you expected a Scorsese scenario here , really ?

I think the OP expected some effort to be put into the new ME2 reskin.

The only "negative" thing I would say about the Expansion, is there is an abundance of companions. And they are starting to clutter. I know the saying, "never too much of a good thing". And I love having so many options for people to take on my adventures but I don't know. It feels cluttered to me, and we haven't even really started recruiting most of our old companions (I don't think my Bounty Hunter has run into one old companion in the story). Maybe I am just complaining for the sake of complaining. The story for SWTOR has always been cliche. The only time the story was good for the series was back when it was a single player RPG. Kotor anyone? :cool: It has been a pretty solid expansion, nothing really to complain about unless you really try hard to find something to get upset about.

But, as I said, it is entirely possible that power of all three kids were result of Valkorion trying to create a suitable vessel for his power (or an heir once he decided to move on). Nobody said that kind of stuff could not be done to the child while it still was in the womb (because space magic).

That's actually a good point. In the Star Wars discussion part of the forums, specifically the most powerful thread, I've been discussing how Valky transferred into the Outlander and what I (and the two people talking to me) think is that it's some modified version of Essence Transfer that allows both essences to survive. Perhaps Valky is just using another technique that Bioware hasn't named yet.

The only "negative" thing I would say about the Expansion, is there is an abundance of companions. And they are starting to clutter. I know the saying, "never too much of a good thing". And I love having so many options for people to take on my adventures but I don't know. It feels cluttered to me, and we haven't even really started recruiting most of our old companions (I don't think my Bounty Hunter has run into one old companion in the story). Maybe I am just complaining for the sake of complaining. The story for SWTOR has always been cliche. The only time the story was good for the series was back when it was a single player RPG. Kotor anyone? :cool: It has been a pretty solid expansion, nothing really to complain about unless you really try hard to find something to get upset about.

There is a reason why the sections in the new companion window are collapsible.

However, I would love they added a new section "favorite companions", where we could put the companions we like to use most, to have them easily accessible at top of the list.

Waiting to read your bestseller when it hits the bookshelves ;)

Yes because one has to be a great author to know when a story is good or bad. one must also be a top-class chef to know when a meal is bad. need I go on?

seriously this response shows a severe lack of intelligent thought.

1/10 - overall troll fail.

Yes because one has to be a great author to know when a story is good or bad. one must also be a top-class chef to know when a meal is bad. need I go on?

seriously this response shows a severe lack of intelligent thought.

1/10 - overall troll fail.

I would counter that any comment that provokes a response isn't a fail.

Star Wars has for the longest of times been classed as Space Opera, opera a format well known for its clichés and predictability. While you may not like this a lot of storytellers understand that many in an audience do not like abrupt changes or elements that are unconnected. There has to be an element of predictability to keep the audience on a stable footing. Cliché is a storytellers short hand, it's also a term that's bandied about with far too much abandon to mean dull or unimaginative. It is a stereotyping that instantly allows a viewer to place where the character should fall in a story and allows to play against type.

I was poking fun at you with the original comment, I realise it's far easier to sit back and pour scorn on the attempts of others rather than rise to the challenge yourself. Maybe if you did (and any wannabe food critics/ film critics) you would get an insight into how difficult the process really is. That those big storytelling triumphs are as much happenstance as planning.