An Easy Guide to Primary Stats and Others

BlackRifle

A great read, thanks.

Phew, I got it right. I'm a Gunslinger and when presented with +11 endurance, +11 cunning or +8 endurance, +13 cunning I went with the latter. Glad to see I got it right.

We need an elitistjerks for SWTOR BTW :)

Cheers.

Please don't make an EJ for TOR. That would piss a lot of people off. This guide is enough to understand the simple basics of SWTOR, and EJ would only make it more complex than it needs to be. I'd rather enjoy a game, understand the basics of it, and discuss the basic theory of the gameplay, and NOT do all the math and junk that isn't necessary.

Unless we REALLY need to understand all the math of the mechanics, then maybe, but honestly I don't think it's necessary when it's pretty dang simple already. Why make something simple more complex than needed? I don't see the point.

Again, no EJ for TOR would be ideal, in my honest opinion. Guides like this one is just what we need. Simple. To the point. Direct. Easy.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please don't make an EJ for TOR. That would piss a lot of people off. This guide is enough to understand the simple basics of SWTOR, and EJ would only make it more complex than it needs to be. I'd rather enjoy a game, understand the basics of it, and discuss the basic theory of the gameplay, and NOT do all the math and junk that isn't necessary.

Unless we REALLY need to understand all the math of the mechanics, then maybe, but honestly I don't think it's necessary when it's pretty dang simple already. Why make something simple more complex than needed? I don't see the point.

Again, no EJ for TOR would be ideal, in my honest opinion. Guides like this one is just what we need. Simple. To the point. Direct. Easy.

Sithwarrior.com is already the EJ for TOR. Some people like it some people don't. If you don't then avoid it.

On one hand thank you for the guide.

On the other hand, I'm a bit disappointed with this method. It supports the concept that a character is his own equipment and not, for example, how you play it or how you build it. It's far simpler, yes, but far less satisfying in my opinion.

A level 40 will be nothing more than his equipment. Even if he's an experienced Force Wielder, his willpower is mostly in his outfit. And I suppose this will grow more and more true as you level up.

I hoped a different way :(

Well, I'm sure I'll enjoy it anyway.

I added the following question and answer to the OP:

Does character race or gender make any difference when it comes to stats?

There are no racial or gender modifiers that directly affect stats. All races and both genders are created equal in SWTOR. Each race has its own unique social ability, as well as unique looks and background, but race and gender has no effect on stats.

Edited by BlackRifle

Believe this is theclosest thread to ask. Can any1 tell me where to get the information about types of attack and types of damage, how these work? Any links to guides?

I regret that I don't have a good answer for you. Hopefully, someone else will.

One very important reason is, bioware balances based on subjective crying.

They nerfed concealment operative out of the game because so many bad players couldn't deal with being hit from behind. Now operative can't do a thing.

The NUMBERS tell an ENTIRELY different story like. Sorc single target out damages Operatives over a 5 second period of time with the gear level. Sorcs do it from 30m and don't have to move.

One tab for all numerical values, then one tab per chart.

I made this chart to help me decide which stats to focus on as a level 50.

SW:ToR Melee dps : strength, accuracy, critical, force power, surge, power and their return

There is somme basic facts

damage augments at 0.20 dam / strength an 0.230 dam/power

critical is very interesting from 0 to 200 (8%), interesting from 200 to 400 (5.5%), useful from 400 to 600 (4.5%) and then diminishing returns begins reduce the rate of augmentation. (600 to 1100 = 6.5%)

critical % augments with strength at 0.0062x+0.75 from 500 to 1500, then it returns less

(meaning 100 strength more when over 1500 will return less than +0.62% to critical percentage)

accuracy percentage is nearly linear from 100 to 400 accuracy at 0.0276x+0.80

surge is very interesting from 0 to 100 (14% to crit dam), interesting from 100 to 300 (11.5%), from 300 to 650 you add another 4% (diminishing returns hit harder)

For PvP, expertise is nearly linear for damage augmentation till 1200, adds a lot to damage reduction (especially for light and medium armor character), and nearly linear for additional heal (but at a bit more thant half damage augmentation) (taking into account that few advance class can kill a healer one on one).

To conclude, as a melee dps in PvE, you should have some of all and depending on your playstyle focus on some secondary stats.

For example, in PvE, a focus sentinel/gardian with sure critical on force sweep (2 critical force sweeps on 16 seconds rotation) you should aim for 1500 strength, 250/300 surge, 400 to 600 critical (for longer fights such as boss), then all in power. Power will give more damage / point than strength and you do not need the criticals. Accuracy is good to get to 100% precision (meaning you won't miss because of a roll on your side).

Continuing the example a watchman want more critical and as such get more strength and critical for their DoTs as they will then get healed more often.

Focusing on only one stat except for strength / power will be less effective than having a bit of each stats due to the great return from 0 to 100/200 for most secondary stats).

I hope this help some new level 50s, and I will try to update the numbers as I go higher (and if anyone want to do the same for willpower / range / heal / defense / absorption / alacrity ... I will be glad to learn about those stats)

Edited by Delrusant

Accuracy starts at 90% for main hand 67% for off hand for many attqcks, some powers have 100% accuracy from the begining (force powers/tech powers)

It means that you have from your part 1 chance out of 10 to miss you attack.

You can raise it to 100% and more.

At 100% if you miss, it is because your opponents rolled and his shield/avoidance kicked in.

Before 100% you never know if you miss because of bad luck or opponent good luck, after ward it is always opponent good luck.

Then you mitigation. If you hit with an 105% accuracy, the opponent defense taken into account for mitigation will only 95% of his total defense (except if you have skill such as reduce opponent defence by 20% which would bring it to 75%).

In PvE, it is useful mostly for comfort except in case of tough boss with high avoidance (in which case you have your lacking 10% and its avoidance percentage coming into account). If you are a DPS in hard mode flashpoint or any operation you want the 100% accuracy to avoid regret if your team is wiped while a boss has only a little health remaining -> th emissed hits on your parts might have made the difference.

In PvP, your skills as a player is more important but many expertise equipment will give you accuracy anyway.

Awesome man this post helps a lot (Though it should be mostly obvious as in most MMO's gear from quests hint at it lol). Appriciate it though, mostly the more in depth stuff like what the absorption and such does. (Not those specifically but the general like.) Thanks again!

Very well done, I wished I had read this before I completed 8 Chrs. at lvl 27 I'm paying for my lack of knowlage. The stats don't hurt you until you get to 20+ and then thing start handing you your ***.

Thanks for the Info, My game play will improve!

Im confused, so if I have an item equiped that gives +1 strength, and I level up, my strength stat increases??

Every time you level up, most of your main attributes increase a little on their own and this has nothing to do with gear. Even if your character or companion is naked, most of your main attributes will increase a little every time you level up. This is just one way your stats increase. The other way is through gear.

Understand that gear is the predominant way to raise your stats in this game. Even though most of your attributes automatically increase a little every time you level up, by itself it's not enough to keep your characters and companions competitive. You still must fully equip your characters and companions with armor and weaponry, and you must upgrade their gear and modifications on a continual basis.

Edited by BlackRifle

thanks BlackRifle for the infos..

this really clears everything out, because i have been taking into account other stats when equipping new gears and upgrades when all i have to focus on is the 2 primary stats.

in my case, sentinel needs strength and endurance.