An Easy Guide to Primary Stats and Others

BlackRifle

scratcha,

I added more text to the OP to clarify that each Codex entry for companions will only appear when you acquire each companion over time. I even revised the wording overall to make finding this information in the Codex more clear. I apologize for any confusion and inconvenience.

I added a couple sentences to the paragraph that covers how stats are raised in this game. I did move this paragraph up three paragraphs, but I chose not to move it further up because the main purpose of this guide is to first explain to new players about the class primary stat concept in SWTOR. The guide was meant to be read from top to bottom, so I felt it was unnecessary to present this particular paragraph too early.

I appreciate the feedback you have given. I am all for making this guide very easy to read.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the guide.Well I'am glad to see atleast that the stat you put in to for your game play style can go both ways.unlike other mmo's i have played you are forced to put into one stat, other wise your character isnt upto snuff.I like the verstile of that.I my self have been putting into Endurance for my Jedi Counsler.My game play isnt always in a group with a healer.So it makes sense to boost my Health and outlast the Opfor.

The only point of this thread is to help in picking stims.. Like it says, you can't manually change your attributes. Is my point here coming across?

I'm sorry, I think we're having a big misunderstanding here. Care to clarify what you're trying to say?

Edited by BlackRifle

I found this guid to be very very very helpfull to me as a new player.....i deffenitly suggest all new players to read this is is very informative also its a time killer for your game to download :p. anagin thatnk you for this you obviously put alot of time and effort into this and it should be rewarded as such!:)

I had been playing for two weeks before I realized the primary stats existed. I don't remember what brought it to my attention except that it was around the time I started crafting. I had focused on Aim for my smuggler and suddenly realized I had been wasting my time. Probably when I started actually reading the Codex was when I started realizing this.

This is the first time I've seen this info outside of the Codex though. It was helpful to see them all at once, because the Codex only gives you the primary ability for YOUR class. Especially for crafting, it's helpful to see them all at once.

I read everything. Your OP is great, your continued tweaking/updating is also great. It came up somewhere about CUNNING being on some assualt cannons which is a trooper only item, and that it was probably just a randomized stat on a drop. That is what I thought as well, BUT....

This may take a little explaining if you haven't/don't play a Trooper. Your second pet (not counting c2-n2) is Elara Dorne, a decent healer. Some of her starting gear has cunning on it without any aim. Again, I dismissed this as a mechanic that changed, and they haven't gotten around to fixing her starting gear to reflect the change. But, as I have leveled, and quested, some of the mission rewards are for our pets, and some of her newer updated gear has cunning on it still.

This begs the question, are we sure that there isn't a bigger correlation to the off-primary stats?

Please realize I am not arguing, or disagreeing, just trying to figure this aspect of our topic out.

Also, I don't put a lot of faith into the TOR Prima Guide but it calls out cunning as a secondary stat for troopers. Just sayn'.

Oh. And can you add the primary stat for all the companions to this piece. It would have been nice to see here rather than digging through the Codex for every one of them. Seeing them all at once might also reveal a trend.

Getting this information from the Codex is a lot easier than you may think. The Codex entries for companions are all listed in one section, Persons of Note. At the moment you get each companion, a new Codex entry pop-up appears on your screen which gives you the opportunity for a few seconds to click Open and view the entry immediately.

When I was writing the original draft for this guide back in December, I considered doing as you requested but then decided against it because it would then reveal spoilers. This guide was meant to steer new players onto the right path as I am aware that many players mistakenly raise the wrong stats for their characters and companions. The guide wasn't meant to spoil individual class stories.

I hope you can understand this and I certainly am not trying to be difficult.

Edited by BlackRifle

I read everything. Your OP is great, your continued tweaking/updating is also great. It came up somewhere about CUNNING being on some assualt cannons which is a trooper only item, and that it was probably just a randomized stat on a drop. That is what I thought as well, BUT....

This may take a little explaining if you haven't/don't play a Trooper. Your second pet (not counting c2-n2) is Elara Dorne, a decent healer. Some of her starting gear has cunning on it without any aim. Again, I dismissed this as a mechanic that changed, and they haven't gotten around to fixing her starting gear to reflect the change. But, as I have leveled, and quested, some of the mission rewards are for our pets, and some of her newer updated gear has cunning on it still.

This begs the question, are we sure that there isn't a bigger correlation to the off-primary stats?

Please realize I am not arguing, or disagreeing, just trying to figure this aspect of our topic out.

Also, I don't put a lot of faith into the TOR Prima Guide but it calls out cunning as a secondary stat for troopers. Just sayn'.

Throughout MMO history, "official" Prima guides become obsolete over time. One of the coolest things about MMOs is that they can change daily, weekly, or monthly.

I guess the question is, if you raise the wrong stats, would your character or companion still get some kind of benefit? Yes, I think so, but the benefit is significantly lower when you raise the wrong stats. My main intention of this guide was to try my best to steer players off the wrong path and set them on the correct one. Make no mistake, raising the primary stat as much as possible is truly the correct way to go. The primary stat covers practically all of your character's damage and healing output, and it covers pretty much all of your character's abilities, whether it's melee, ranged, Force, or Tech. For example, believe it or not, the Bounty Hunter's Aim attribute has a direct affect on their melee ability. One would think that it would be Strength instead, but that would be wrong in this game. It really looks like the SWTOR developers wanted attributes easier to manage by letting players focus only on just one class or companion primary attribute.

The evidence is in the gear. As you noticed in mission rewards, player character gear as well as companion gear is issued based on their primary stat. That's one thing convenient and cool about SWTOR, the mission rewards are targeted toward either you or your companions. In World of Warcraft, you would often get a static quest reward and if it was an item, you often couldn't use the item on your present character. I don't want to remember the number of times this happened to me when I played WoW. In SWTOR, either your character or your companion can use the mission reward item, so this does help you learn how important the class primary stat concept is within SWTOR.

Of course, nothing can stop the player from gearing up their characters and companions how they want. For example, if you want to raise Aim on a Smuggler, you certainly can do it. However, if you do this, I strongly advise not to group with other players with a Smuggler, especially if you will be the group's designated healer. This is because a Smuggler with high Aim will be incompetent. The higher Aim and lower Cunning would result in lesser healing overall. This could cause more frequent deaths while grouping and I don't think your fellow group members would appreciate this. The same would apply to damage. Higher Aim and lower Cunning on a Smuggler would result in less damage output.

Edited by BlackRifle

I'm sorry, I think we're having a big misunderstanding here. Care to clarify what you're trying to say?

I'm not "dissing" this thread in any way. I think it is very informative, I just think it would be a lot more...whats the word.. useful if we could manually raise attributes each level up.

I'm not "dissing" this thread in any way. I think it is very informative, I just think it would be a lot more...whats the word.. useful if we could manually raise attributes each level up.

I didn't think you were dissing the thread at all and I do appreciate that you think it is very informative.

When you said...

The only point of this thread is to help in picking stims..

I was thrown off because the thread isn't about picking stims. Stims to me are stimpacks or stimulants which are in the game. This is why I thought we were having a misunderstanding.

Edited by BlackRifle

Oh. And can you add the primary stat for all the companions to this piece. It would have been nice to see here rather than digging through the Codex for every one of them. Seeing them all at once might also reveal a trend.

I already replied to you earlier in this thread, but I just came across something that should satisfy what you were looking for.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=530#anchor9

I don't mind directing people to other guides. I just would rather not have spoilers in mine.

Edited by BlackRifle

On a Jedi Sage (healer), the first companion, the lizardy looking guy, he spends all his time in melee whacking the opponents with a stick and his primary stat is Aim? Not Strength? That's a bit confusing, but whatever.

I thought melee benefits from Strength and ranged benefits from Aim?

On a Jedi Sage (healer), the first companion, the lizardy looking guy, he spends all his time in melee whacking the opponents with a stick and his primary stat is Aim? Not Strength? That's a bit confusing, but whatever.

If the companion's Codex entry says that Aim is his primary stat, then Aim it is. If you open the character sheet for your companion, it should also show that Aim is the stat with the highest number. Be sure to ignore Strength entirely for that particular companion.

That may be how it works in other MMOs, but that's not exactly how it works in SWTOR. As I stated in the guide, the primary stat covers all melee, ranged, Force, and Tech abilities. The primary stat also covers both damage and healing output. Avoid all temptation to raise the wrong stats in this game if you truly want to do it the right way.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents of thanks. I was trying to 'round out' my stats and wondering why my char started dying when soloing. Guess you have to expect that when you assume instead of research (and fail to take hints). :o

Not sure if this has been asked or not, however is accuracy over 100% considered armor pen/spell penetration?

No.

Accuracy: Chance that Force, Melee, Ranged, or Tech attacks will successfully hit the target. Accuracy over 100% reduces the target's defense or resistance depending upon the type of attack.

More specifically, Accuracy over 100% for melee and ranged attacks will reduce the target's defense against such attacks. Accuracy over 100% for Force and Tech attacks will reduce the target's resistance against such attacks.

Edited by BlackRifle

For every class the primary stat increases all types of abilities you have while stats that would belong to another class may only increase one type of ability. Same thing for companions

That companion is not the only companion in game that fights in melee and still uses aim as main stat. Other classes have this type of companions too.

Since his primary stat is aim, it will increase not only ranged damage (which he does not have) but also melee and tech damage.

He actually uses a combination of melee and tech abilities. Giving him strength gear would only increase his melee damage, but not tech damage, while aim would increase both types of damage he does.

So allways equip him with aim gear.

Excellent post. Thank you for taking the time to put it together and reply to questions in this thread.

One of the things I discovered later than I'd like is the mouseover text for the things in the bottom of the character window.

For example, someone in this thread asked "why shouldn't I get a Cunning item for my trooper?". The answer is that if you mouseover Bonus Damage on your Trooper, Cunning is not listed, only Aim and Power.

Cunning does nothing for a Trooper just as Willpower does nothing for a Knight.

Melee: Knight

Bonus Damage: Strength, Power

Accuracy: Accuracy Rating

Critical Chance: Strength, Critical Rating

Critical Multiplier: Surge Rating

Melee: Consular

Bonus Damage: Strength, Willpower, Power

Critical Chance: Strength, Willpower, Critical Rating

Force: Knight

Bonus Damage: Strength, Willpower, Power, Force Power

Bonus Healing: Power, Force Power

Critical Chance: Strength, Willpower, Critical Rating

Activation Speed: Alacrity Rating

Force: Consular

Bonus Damage: Willpower, Power, Force Power

Bonus Healing: Power, Force Power

Critical Chance: Willpower, Critical Rating

Ranged: Trooper

Bonus Damage: Aim, Power

Critical Chance: Aim, Critical Rating

Ranged: Smuggler

Bonus Damage: Aim, Cunning, Power

Critical Chance: Aim, Cunning, Critical Rating

Tech: Trooper

Bonus Damage: Aim, Cunning, Power, Tech Power

Bonus Healing: Power, Tech Power

Critical Chance: Aim, Cunning, Critical Rating

Tech: Smuggler

Bonus Damage: Cunning, Power, Tech Power

Bonus Healing: Power, Tech Power

Critical Chance: Cunning, Critical Rating

Energy Regen Rate:

Yet more stuff that should be in a manual.