Warning/Question About Chapter 9 Romance

Johnkorriban

Actually if you make Koth mad it says specifically flirt with either lana or Theran, it doesn't say "flirt" one of you.

Yeah Koth jumped over the bar and left before I was even given an option on who to speak to. He even stopped to make a big speech about what a horrible person I was.

Someone else on this forum mentioned they'd flirted with Lana and then when they when to try it with Koth he turned them down because of it. So maybe he's the only one of the 3 with any self respect.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP Thanks for bringing this to the forum's attention. The conversation options are somewhat misleading. I would be very disappointed too if this is the only lock in conversation with Lana.

Its plain as day for those with adequate reading comprehension skills.

It's like clockwork, someone posts that there's something unclear or misleading in the game, and at least a handful of other posters will show up to tell them how "stupid" they are.

Because, you know, Bioware's conversation options have never, ever been misleading, and what comes out of the character's mouth has never been just utterly disconnected with what was displayed as the choice.

:rolleyes:

It's like clockwork, someone posts that there's something unclear or misleading in the game, and at least a handful of other posters will show up to tell them how "stupid" they are.

Because, you know, Bioware's conversation options have never, ever been misleading, and what comes out of the character's mouth has never been just utterly disconnected with what was displayed as the choice.

:rolleyes:

Generally, I'd agree with you. In this specific instance however, if people who were confused actually thought about it a minute, or I don't know hit the flirt option to check if it was Theron they were talking to or not (the ESC key is wonderful for these kind of things) they wouldn't have any issues now.

Whereas a lot of what I'm seeing here is, 'the camera stopped on Theron in a scene with 3 romance options and I didn't want to flirt with Theron even though the flirt option specifically said 'one of you,' and honestly I'm not going to blame BioWare for what amounts to user error. This time anyway.

The one thing I can say to players is this -- if there's any doubt, confusion, or hesitation, go look up that conversation online and see if you can find answers as to what Bioware really means.

It's a terrible way to have to play a game, but as long as "choices matter" and Bioware is going to make those choices fuzzy through an utter disconnect between what we choose and what comes out of the character's mouth...

Yep once again people's lack of reading comprehension skills strikes again, One of you clearly does not mean Theron. Only people who go by assumptions totally fail instead of actually comprehending text. "Social awareness" roflmao such a cop out for your lack of reading comprehension. No wonder Bioware removed companion killing, they probably figured out that people are idiots that lack basic reading comprehension skills and decided to remove it because idiots would kill their companions because they don't understand English

Just because "one of you" doesn't explicitly mean Theron, does not mean that it explicitly excludes Theron. If this were a passage in a book, you would be right; reading comprehension fail. However the way the scene is laid out, it is perfectly reasonable to think that addressing Theron is implied.

Really though, what does it even matter to you? This thread was created to clarify something that wasn't even an issue for you. So why bother posting?

Edited by Svarthrafn

Hmm nope, you must've flirted with Theron at least once during Forged Alliances, SOR, Rise of the Emperor or KOTFE. I never flirted with Lana and only flirted with Theron and the game didn't give me a choice during the cantina scene who to talk to after "[Flirt] I need to speak to one of you" option, my characters automatically asked for Theron.

Ah, no. My lesbian BH didn't flirt with any male characters. The only time Theron wasn't told to go fly a kite was this one instance when you must choose the flirt option while talking to him (even though you don't end up flirting with him) in order to open the convo tree that allows for the Lana official romance start pop-up.

I've always been given the option to flirt with Lana or Theron during convos if they're both present from FA to SOR to ROTE and now to KOTFE and I've always chosen Lana while Theron always just shrugs and wanders off. I hate Theron as a romance option and have never chosen to flirt with him on any of my toons - and yet I still was given the chance to start an official romance with either of them as long as I selected the talk with one of you (flirt) option first.

Edited by Nothing_Shines

Just because "one of you" doesn't explicitly mean Theron, does not mean that it explicitly excludes Theron. If this were a passage in a book, you would be right; reading comprehension fail. However the way the scene is laid out, it is perfectly reasonable to think that addressing Theron is implied.

Really though, what does it even matter to you? This thread was created to clarify something that wasn't even an issue for you. So why bother posting other than to be a little turd?

If you'd picked any of the Theron flirt options, then yeah, it might be implied. If you hadn't, however, the implication is that is was whoever you'd been flirting with, Lana or Koth. And no, one of you doesn't explicitly exclude Theron anymore than it doesn't explicitly exclude Koth or Lana. In fact the implication is that you're going to get a choice after you select the option, and you do IF you've flirted with more than one of them, (excluding Senya obviously.) In fact, if you haven't flirted with Theron at all, it almost definitely excludes him from the selection because the flirt would inherently need to be more specific.

I'm not going to dignify your closing statement with a response, as its clearly a baiting tactic.

Apologies, edited that out.

I think the problem here is that people are worried about bioware ninja romances. One of their games even has you initiate a romance with a dude just by acting civil towards him. In SWtOR, bioware practically shoves flirt options down your throat every time you talk to Theron. Or Lana. Or Koth. I can totally see how someone could mistake this for the game trying, yet again, to throw a Theron romance at you.

So while the problem may lie in reading comprehension, I believe there may be a systemic problem which is making the miscomprehension more likely in this particular case.

To hell with it though. My main married both Jaesa and Vette. No need for a third.

Edited by Svarthrafn

Apologies, edited that out.

I think the problem here is that people are worried about bioware ninja romances. One of their games even has you initiate a romance with a dude just by acting civil towards him. In SWtOR, bioware practically shoves flirt options down your throat every time you talk to Theron. Or Lana. Or Koth. I can totally see how someone could mistake this for the game trying, yet again, to throw a Theron romance at you.

So while the problem may lie in reading comprehension, I believe their may be a systemic problem which is making the miscomprehension more likely in this particular case.

To hell with it though. My main married both Jaesa and Vette. No need for a third.

Then the problem I'm having may be that outside of Kotor and a brief foray into ME, I've had no experience with Bioware and this ninjamancing. That may be a valid concern if its something they do often enough in other games. Only advice I have there is to proceed with caution with you hand the ESC key should you be concerned.

Edited by Billupsat

That does not appear to be the problem.

The problem appears to be that he started out talking to one NPC, and had the [FLIRT] option pop up that actually applied to a different NPC.

And with any level of actual reading comprehension, he wouldn't have made the mistake.

I guess I have to keep reminding myself that people can in fact be this dumb.

Edited by Eleonora

And with any level of actual reading comprehension, he wouldn't have made the mistake.

I guess I have to keep reminding myself that people can in fact be this dumb.

Anyone have a link to a youtube video of the scene in question, so those of us who have not reached it can assess for ourselves just how "obvious" this is?

Given Bioware's history of being vague, and forum-griefers' history of attacking people just because they can...

Anyone have a link to a youtube video of the scene in question, so those of us who have not reached it can assess for ourselves just how "obvious" this is?

Given Bioware's history of being vague, and forum-griefers' history of attacking people just because they can...

You click on Theron to start the conversation but the conversation involves all three characters. All three characters are quite involved in the story and the conversation. At the end of it, the player gets [Flirt] "I wish to speak to one of you" and after clicking that, get's an option to specify Theron, Lana, or the other person.

It's a reading comprehension issue. You started the convo by clicking on Theron and the dialogue sticks to Theron while those convo options are displayed, so people who don't understand how English works assume it must be about Theron. This despite the fact that the language is clearly indicating that the player is addressing all three of them.

Edited by Eleonora

You click on Theron to start the conversation but the conversation involves all three characters. All three characters are quite involved in the story and the conversation. At the end of it, the player gets [Flirt] "I wish to speak to one of you" and after clicking that, get's an option to specify Theron, Lana, or the other person.

It's a reading comprehension issue. You started the convo by clicking on Theron and the dialogue sticks to Theron while those convo options are displayed, so people who don't understand ow English works assume it must be about Theron even though the language is specifically indicating that the player is addressing all three of them.

Maybe if Bioware showed any history of understanding "how English works", or if there weren't many instances of people using a phrase like "one of you" as rhetorical flourish when everyone around knows they're referring to just one individual...

...but some of us have played enough of Bioware's games for that to feel more like "an Ackbar" than anything clear.

Edited by Max_Killjoy

Maybe if Bioware showed any history of understanding "how English works", or if there weren't many instances of people using a phrase like "one of you" as rhetorical flourish when everyone around knows they're referring to just one individual...

Wow I think a part of my brain just died reading that.

Wow I think a part of my brain just died reading that.

Maybe if you are so overwhelmingly intelligent you shouldn't be commenting on a thread that clearly doesn't concern you. Especially insulting others reading comprehension when you clearly cannot comprehend the fact in the origional post there was not at any point a "I blame BioWare for this" merely a warning to other players that most seem to appreciate.