Warning/Question About Chapter 9 Romance

Johnkorriban

"I blame BioWare for this"

I dont know about you, but there has clearly been similar comments in this thread. Specifically from "Max_Killjoy"(no surprise there though).

Yet again I visit the forums to find people complaining about nonsence. The dialogue wheel that clearly states "I wish to speak with one of you" in a social situation that invovles a talk between 4 people, it hardly matters who the camera is on. Add to that in a real life situation, you'd be looking at Theron because he is the one who prompts these dialogue options, regardless of whether or not he is your SO. PLUS ingame after picking the non flirt option that reads the exact same line you realize that you got the option to choose who to talk to, and by using very basic logic you can assume the same is for the [Flirt] option. Besides the ESC button exists for a reason...

I think people simply read far too much into it, and it was a mistake, as such its a good idea this thread exists as a heads-up. But Bioware is hardly the one to blame.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know about you, but there has clearly been similar comments in this thread. Specifically from "Max_Killjoy"(no surprise there though).

Yet again I visit the forums to find people complaining about nonsence. The dialogue wheel that clearly states "I wish to speak with one of you" in a social situation that invovles a talk between 4 people, it hardly matters who the camera is on. Add to that in a real life situation, you'd be looking at Theron because he is the one who prompts these dialogue options, regardless of whether or not he is your SO. PLUS ingame after picking the non flirt option that reads the exact same line you realize that you got the option to choose who to talk to, and by using very basic logic you can assume the same is for the [Flirt] option. Besides the ESC button exists for a reason...

I think people simply read far too much into it, and it was a mistake, as such its a good idea this thread exists as a heads-up. But Bioware is hardly the one to blame.

This simply cannot be stated enough for some people. Those worried about ninjamancing, the ESC key is your friend.

This simply cannot be stated enough for some people. Those worried about ninjamancing, the ESC key is your friend.

Every time i hit escape it made me start the whole chapter over so I quit using it after a few chapters.

I had the exact same experience as the OP.

Yup. I put this up as a warning and question to the community, as to the fact there IS a definite trigger, and where and how the trigger is obtained. And has also shed some light on some people that there is a notification on the lockin. Nothing more. ESC Is indeed your friend, I just so happened to talk to Lana normally and thought nothing of it, and went for different choices on another toon whereby discovered this. Considering the private conversation is almost identical wether you flirt or not at the party, I do feel the 2nd flirt could remain regardless, but it is what it is.

In total honesty the most shocking thing for me was there was actually a Pop-up notification as to confirm a romance lock - in. Was like "oh, that's new"

Edited by Johnkorriban

If I am talking to three people, each of whom is a potential romance option, there is a momentary lull in the conversation, and I look ONE of those people directly in the eye (as the camera also focuses on that person) and I say I need to talk to one of you, a perfectly reasonable interpretation in English is that the "one of you" bit refers directly to the person I am staring at and to whom I am speaking. The camera shot even makes a point of cropping out the other two participants.

It is not a reading comprehension problem to interpret the choices as presented in this way. I shouldn't have to point out I TEACH English, but I will, since that claimed authority is just as valid as the implied or assumed authority of everyone who is blaming the players for misunderstanding Bioware's wording of the options at THE ONLY POINT IN THE GAME, after four years, where what you choose presents a pop-up declaring you are locking in a romance.

Their choice of wording was poor and it is certainly not the first time, as has been previously pointed out, where Bioware puts one thing in the convo wheel and something wildly different comes out of the character's mouth, often resulting in a trigger to a romance path the player had no intention of going down. For example, on my maleWarrior I romanced Vette the entire game and then had one convo on board my ship with Jaesa where I flirted with her and suddenly my Vette romance switched to friendship and I was on the track to marrying Jaesa. Now THAT was infuriating and contributed directly to my distrust of the dialogue wheel in this game, which saved me during this troublesome convo since I sensed danger and immediately escaped out.

It doesn't mean Bioware is evil or is deliberately trolling people. The writer for that scene made a mistake in not having such a critical story option be as clear as possible. The fact that it leads directly into the first time ever pop-up warning about what your choice means, would suggest BW wanted to be as clear as possible about the consequences of the player's choice. That numerous people didn't even get to see the pop-up, despite intending to romance one of the three companions present, means Bioware failed in that endeavor.

Bioware will either patch the convo to be worded more clearly or they will add a second pop-up trigger in future chapters. I wouldn't get too worried about it at this point, unless you think they are going to gate the only two confirmed same-sex romances behind a convo choice many people didn't even get to see. (Here I am presuming the Senya same sex flirts aren't going anywhere and I haven't played a male thru KOTFE so I don't know whether Koth flirts with males too.)

Edited by Nothing_Shines

I missed out on it, assuming it was for Theron as 'flirt' has always been with the person you're actually speaking to at that moment in the past. I'm not really upset about it other than thinking it might have given me some purpose for all these 'courting' gifts I have. Nobody I have currently can benefit from them :p

If I am talking to three people, each of whom is a potential romance option, there is a momentary lull in the conversation, and I look ONE of those people directly in the eye (as the camera also focuses on that person) and I say I need to talk to one of you, a perfectly reasonable interpretation in English is that the "one of you" bit refers directly to the person I am staring at and to whom I am speaking. The camera shot even makes a point of cropping out the other two participants.

It is not a reading comprehension problem to interpret the choices as presented in this way. I shouldn't have to point out I TEACH English, but I will, since that claimed authority is just as valid as the implied or assumed authority of everyone who is blaming the players for misunderstanding Bioware's wording of the options at THE ONLY POINT IN THE GAME, after four years, where what you choose presents a pop-up declaring you are locking in a romance.

Their choice of wording was poor and it is certainly not the first time, as has been previously pointed out, where Bioware puts one thing in the convo wheel and something wildly different comes out of the character's mouth, often resulting in a trigger to a romance path the player had no intention of going down.

It doesn't mean Bioware is evil or is deliberately trolling people. The writer for that scene made a mistake in not having such a critical story option be as clear as possible. The fact that it leads directly into the first time ever pop-up warning about what your choice means, would suggest BW wanted to be as clear as possible about the consequences of the player's choice. That numerous people didn't even get to see the pop-up, despite intending to romance one of the three companions present, means Bioware failed in that endeavor.

Bioware will either patch the convo to be worded more clearly or they will add a second pop-up trigger in future chapters. I wouldn't get too worried about it at this point, unless you think they are going to gate the only two confirmed same-sex romances behind a convo choice many people didn't even get to see. (Here I am presuming the Senya same sex flirts aren't going anywhere and I haven't played a male thru KOTFE so I don't know whether Koth flirts with males too.)

For the people that had the problem and couldn't see that 'one of you' meant any of the three, it wasn't so much a writing problem as it was a directing/cinematography problem. They stopped on Theron because he was the last person to speak and lingered there for the dialogue choice, what would have helped the common sense, reading comprehensionally challenged would have been to draw the shot back to the whole group all looking at the PC. Other than that, there were no issues.

Their choice of wording was poor and it is certainly not the first time, as has been previously pointed out, where Bioware puts one thing in the convo wheel and something wildly different comes out of the character's mouth, often resulting in a trigger to a romance path the player had no intention of going down.

To be honest I don't even understand their stupid argument. I admitted in the OP "I missed this trigger" not that BioWare made me miss this trigger.

But, Socially, Comprehensibly and Linguistically their argument is flawed. There is no actual right or wrong interpretation of this in the English language. The words "I need to speak to one of you" within a group can be a dressed to a group or adressed to personally. If I was in a group of 6 colleagues of mine having a chat, then directly looked up at one of them and said "I need to speak to one of you" my eye contact and body language alone would immediately make said colleague recognise it was them I spoke to. If I however did not make direct body lingual suggestions to any in the group, it would be a group statement to which I would have to elaborate on in terms of identity. Neither interpretation is linguistically wrong. It's a pretty pointless argument tbh further proving that forum trolls latch onto anything to attack people. While 99% of the time making themselves look foolish in the process.

Edited by Johnkorriban

For the people that had the problem and couldn't see that 'one of you' meant any of the three, it wasn't so much a writing problem as it was a directing/cinematography problem. They stopped on Theron because he was the last person to speak and lingered there for the dialogue choice, what would have helped the common sense, reading comprehensionally challenged would have been to draw the shot back to the whole group all looking at the PC. Other than that, there were no issues.

This is pretty much a Jackpot comment. Whereas linguistically and comprehensibly the statement is perfectly viable for interpretation in either way, the cinematography at the time is slightly leaning on one interpretation than another.

Or should I say... Many of us trying to romance Lana saw this convo and tried to avoid flirting with what they assumed was Theron. Only to possibly "permanently friend zone" Lana? All we are asking is is there another chance to romance her or should I use my free 60 to now duplicate my main... Legacy over all my gear and redo the kotfe?

Or should I say... Many of us trying to romance Lana saw this convo and tried to avoid flirting with what they assumed was Theron. Only to possibly "permanently friend zone" Lana? All we are asking is is there another chance to romance her or should I use my free 60 to now duplicate my main... Legacy over all my gear and redo the kotfe?

Correct. A 'flirt' has never been used in this fashion before so it's not unreasonable to imagine a number of us screwed this up. It has always been used as a romantic gesture towards whoever you are directly talking to (or indicated in the selection itself who the target was).

Hmm nope, you must've flirted with Theron at least once during Forged Alliances, SOR, Rise of the Emperor or KOTFE. I never flirted with Lana and only flirted with Theron and the game didn't give me a choice during the cantina scene who to talk to after "[Flirt] I need to speak to one of you" option, my characters automatically asked for Theron.

Agree with this. I stayed as far away from Lana (and Koth) as i possibly could the entire time, and i was immediately taken to Theron.

I will admit though Bioware does make things weird in possible romances in their games.

In Dragon Age Origins I romanced Alistair from the get go, but in aconversation with Leliana I said i liked shoes, then she wigged out on me for being in love with Alistair ...

Apparently in Orlais saying you like shoes means "I luuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrve you!!!!!!!" :p

Edited by XiamaraSimi

I think the whole storming out thing is just too do with how many "dissaproves" you get in cutscenes from them. Instead of influence or anything. I guess it's kinda nice for choices to finally have some impact, even if minor. Good signs that approval rating/"they'll remember that" and approves/disapproves could have major consequences later. Like Koth threatening that people don't like your methods in that scene. Could possibly get people to leave alliance altogether with disagreeing with your methods. It's intriguing and refreshing to have impact full convo :) Edited by Johnkorriban

I think the whole storming out thing is just too do with how many "dissaproves" you get in cutscenes from them. Instead of influence or anything. I guess it's kinda nice for choices to finally have some impact, even if minor. Good signs that approval rating/"they'll remember that" and approves/disapproves could have major consequences later. Like Koth threatening that people don't like your methods in that scene. Could possibly get people to leave alliance altogether with disagreeing with your methods. It's intriguing and refreshing to have impact full convo :)

Honestly I wish that particular companion had stormed himself right off a cliff.

Yeah it's their fault you don't understand what "one of you" means.

When THERON is speaking to YOU & the CAMERA is on HIM, the implication is that the text refers to THERON.

Bioware didn't design this very well, hence lots of people doing the same as I did.

Your comment was unhelpful & insulting btw. No matter how you try to divert blame to the customers, Bioware screwed this up (as they have so many other things).

The real good advice here is to use escape liberally. Since this isn't a single player game that can be saved, experiment with different options and just hit escape if it takes a turn you don't like.

The problem with that is unless you actually know the end result of each path, you can not tell which one to pick. For example because I didn't know there was a romance unlock, I didn't fish thru the possible option looking for it. I made the same mistake as other did with the initial flirt option and didn't select it. How was I supposed to know that was I supposed to know that was the know that was the romance unlock.

Oh well, I am sure there will add another window later in another chapter so I am not that worried about it anyways.