Warning/Question About Chapter 9 Romance

Johnkorriban

Yeah this is a very annoying thing EA did by forcing a romance basically in what could reasonably be viewed as a time for a strategic meeting with either your longstanding ally in your own faction or your less longstanding ally of the opposing faction. I took the opportunity to confer with Theron because I wanted to get information about the whereabouts of Satele Shan because of the cutscenes that indicated Darth Marr was conferring with her from beyond the grave. I also figured that as brokering alliances and balancing opposing interests is a theme of this KOTFE expansion, it would be strategically most sound to attempt to pay attention to the NPC from the Repubic, since I am Sith. Unfortunately the game now when I mouse over Courting gifts with Theron as companion, my game thinks I've turned into a lightstepper. It breaks my immersion and is personally offensive to me.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too missed my chance to romance Lana because I didn't want to flirt with Theron. One of my more paranoid personalities almost thinks the choice was laid out that way to punish homophobes. While not homophobic I would still prefer to romance females in game. Please give us another chance in future chapters Bioware.

I'm really sorry people find this confusing. I had thought it worked intuitively to be honest. I'm sure everyone knows who they're going to romance, if anyone, before they start their character. Flirt with that person all the time and you honestly can't go wrong. On my characters where I've romanced Theron, Lana or Koth I've only flirted with that person (mostly). When the flirt option comes up in Chapter 9 the game knows your previous choices and acts accordingly when you choose [FLIRT]:

- Did you flirt with one person? If yes, game automatically chooses that person and you leave the room to talk to them

- Did you flirt with more than one person? If yes, the game prompts you to select which person you actually intend to speak to and you leave the room to talk to them.

At the end of the day, you're not going to be thrust into a relationship with someone against your will. The game's always made it clear imo and now they've taking it one step further with the romance confirmation pop-up.

Having said that, for those who were confused, I truly hope there's a solution.

Since I've began playing this game back at launch it's always been like this. If you find an npc/companion you like and you're able to flirt with them, you choose that option and the romance can continue forward. If you don't like that companion when the flirt option pops up, you just don't choose flirt.

Even my gal's who weren't interested in Koth, Lana or Theron, got flirts popping up in chapters 1-9. I didn't select any, so when chapter 9's cantina rolled around, I still saw the FLIRT: I need to talk to one of you and the normal I need to talk to one of you. If I romanced Lana/Theron/Koth I chose Flirt, if I didn't want to romance them, I chose the NO FLIRT. As you said, the game pretty much knows who you've been flirting with or not flirting with. It even knows who you did or didn't marry.

Spoilers ahead, based on my experiences...

As far as I can tell from playing thing through a couple of times, when you enter the cantina and get the option speak to someone in private and choose the flirt option, it'll bring up anyone you have been flirting with (except Senya, who I think only has one flirt...), and you will be brought to a private conversation, provided they don't dislike you. By dislike, I mean a lot of disapprovals. This does not seem to be influence based, but is more about them actually liking your decisions. In other words, if you seriously piss off Koth but then tell him you want to make out, he'll probably say no. This also makes sense as all of the romance parts seem to be taking place during the story arc now.

With both my gunslinger and my sorcerer, Theron's the only one I flirted with.

With my gunslinger, Theron's the only one who responded to "I want to speak with one of you."

With my sorcerer, Koth jumped over the bar and chewed him out. My sorc doesn't like Koth, and has made that abundantly clear both through his interactions, and letting the reactor explode. After chewing me out, Koth walked away. Theron followed up with, "I hope he's not the one you wanted to speak with." I than had two options: "It was you, Theron," and "It's Lana." I never flirted with her, so this seems to support your theory that they respond to your influence, flirt or not.

Unfortunately the game now when I mouse over Courting gifts with Theron as companion, my game thinks I've turned into a lightstepper. It breaks my immersion and is personally offensive to me.

Its established that courting gifts are broken atm for companions you are actually romancing Im going to call you on hyperbolic, homophobic vitrolic bull patties :rolleyes:

But given you posted that you want to kill everyone that isnt human in the "What would you do if yiu were the Captain of the USS Enterprise" threads, it shouldnt suprise me :p

Its established that courting gifts are broken atm for companions you are actually romancing Im going to call you on hyperbolic, homophobic vitrolic bull patties :rolleyes:

But given you posted that you want to kill everyone that isnt human in the "What would you do if yiu were the Captain of the USS Enterprise" threads, it shouldnt suprise me :p

Aww. I'm actually hitting on Theron on one of my characters, and he doesn't want my courting gifts.

So I'm giving them all to Talos because I love him most of all, and he should know that. In a platonic kind of way.

On another character, I picked the nonflirt confer because I wanted to confer with Lana. And it was fine. Iunno.

Edited by AKHadeed

<<Its established that courting gifts are broken atm for companions you are actually romancing Im going to call you on hyperbolic, homophobic vitrolic bull patties >>

hmmm. when you mouse over courting gifts for M1-4x it says he likes them as well, but you gain much less influence than with repub gifts.

Courting gifts are indeed broken. Even for lower level chars that have not been thru KOTFE, which makes it extremely difficult to gain influence with Ashara for DS inquisitors running thru the 1-50 story. On the other hand, you can fall in love with your robot as a trooper...:D

Made the same mistake. From what I can tell, in that conv the only person you speak with is Theron and when the choices are up, you are facing directly Theron, it is very confusing and because this "relationship" was never shown in game, I just did not choose the flirt.

Hope there is a second chance.

Edited by Vurczi

Wow. I just finished KotFE and I enjoyed it but I learned that I missed my chance to lock-in on a romance with Lana because of how misleading that cutscene was. I didn't click the "FLIRT" option at that moment because the camera was aiming at Theron. I had no idea it would mean I would miss my chance at a Lana romance.

It was unclear because "I need to speak to one of you" while the camera is aimed directly at Theron suggests I'm going to wink at him and say it or something. If it had been on my character, or a shot that showed everyone then it would be more clear.

I sincerely hope Bioware gives us another chance early on in the next chapter. I'm very disappointed that it wasn't clearer.

Edited by KadKatarn

Same here, I made the same mistake on my main character. The wheel was far too ambiguous in my opinion, and I thought that the flirt option would be adressed to Theron. I am so disappointed, I loved the Jedi/sith dynamic so much; My character has never flirted with anybody else but Lana in the entire game. I hope Bioware will give us a second chance to lock the romance for all of us who missed the opportunity on this dialogue .

(sorry for the bad english, it's not my first langage^^)

• 4 weeks later...

I never even got a flirt option.

With character one I pressed every single flirt option with Lana and no other and I never got a "Flirt" option at the cantina. No clue why not.

Second time, my character was in a relationship with Temple, and I was playing him as being loyal and still in love with her so he never flirted with anyone during KOTFE. I assume that's why the flirt option never arrised.

Still wondering what the hell went wrong with the first character though, kissed multiple times with Lana then in the cantina no option. That char did accept Valkorians power twice and Lana obviously dissaproved of that but I got approved a lot more often than dissaprove so feels weird if that alone halted a chance at a relationship.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I never even got a flirt option.

With character one I pressed every single flirt option with Lana and no other and I never got a "Flirt" option at the cantina. No clue why not.

Second time, my character was in a relationship with Temple, and I was playing him as being loyal and still in love with her so he never flirted with anyone during KOTFE. I assume that's why the flirt option never arrised.

Still wondering what the hell went wrong with the first character though, kissed multiple times with Lana then in the cantina no option. That char did accept Valkorians power twice and Lana obviously dissaproved of that but I got approved a lot more often than dissaprove so feels weird if that alone halted a chance at a relationship.

Hi.

wanted to say that Valkorians power has no effect on this romance. ive used it like the power hungry dominator i am and im romancing her for all its worth:)

Now Lana is a romance that Bioware says definitely works from what they can tell, I have been trying to work out if there is another reason as to why the romance may not trigger as there are comments in the romance thread in the bug section too.

I am part way through SOR now doing Lana's romance and hope I can work out why some peoples don't trigger a option in chapter 9, the only thing I can think of is whether or not you choose to try to hide Valkroians presence in your head or not.

this happened to me too :( hoping for a second chance, please EA, if you listen to the masses even once, let it be that there are second chances for romancing a character, because going through all 9 chapters again is going to be a pain in the ***, i think ive lodged in almost a days worth of play time and if this is the only opportunity it would definitely suck

I've been through that conversation three times, so I just thought I'd weigh in my experience to help people understand (maybe?) how it works.

First time, on my main, I had the option to choose which of ALL THREE I wanted to speak too.

* I had been flirting with all three throughout chapters 1-8

* I did not have a romance in the original game (Lt Iresso wasn't my style then)

Second time, I had no option to flirt with ANY of them:

* this toon already had married Kira Carsen. Even though she's not in the chapters yet, I assume it weighed that in and did not allow me to "explore new frontiers" while she's missing...

Third time, I had only the option of Theron/Lana:

* this toon had no prior romance (SI only male option was Tallos? Really? Why not Andronikus?)

* this toon had made choices on Zakuul that really incensed Koth (letting civilians die, abandoning the refugees in the swamp), and he referred to this explicitly and stormed off before I was presented with the choice of Theron or Lana.

I used my 60 Token to roll a 2nd Trooper this time a Commando instead of Vanguard. Went through all the chapters and got to the cantina party. When the flirt option came up, it was looking over the shoulder of Theron. It was I need to Talk to One of You and I Need to Talk to One of You (Flirt). Well naturally having played SoR I figured it was meant for Theron since you could flirt with both him and Lana. When I picked the non flirt option, the second menu came up where it let me flirt with Lana or Koth. Well I picked Lana and we went to the room, kissed but no Romance option appeared.

Whatever, wished I could pick Senya instead so I could reunite Valkorian and Senya, lol. Went through it with my Jedi Sentinel and did it the other way and the romance warning appeared and did it correctly.

The issue I have is with old romances. I have my original Vanguard Trooper who is with Elara, my Smuggler who is with Risha, and my Operative who is with Ensign Temple (though not really attached to her). What happens to them in the future. Do they give up on you? Do they shun you when they come back and you go find them? I really don't want to run around with 100 Lanas from now on as a love interest on every character.

Now Lana is a romance that Bioware says definitely works from what they can tell, I have been trying to work out if there is another reason as to why the romance may not trigger as there are comments in the romance thread in the bug section too.

I am part way through SOR now doing Lana's romance and hope I can work out why some peoples don't trigger a option in chapter 9, the only thing I can think of is whether or not you choose to try to hide Valkroians presence in your head or not.

It's a badly designed conversation event that you don't know is a conversation event. At least when you spoke to your pre-KotFE companions and were trying to do their romances your conversation choices with them were pretty clear because you knew who you were talking to and didn't have to navigate vague descriptors and risk fouling the whole thing up, unlike the the Theron/Lana/Koth section which is an unclear outright garbage mess. It is NOT working right, I don't give a damn what they claim. It's broke purely on the way it's arranged, and that's before random choices made during KotFE are taken into account (and it's not even clear if pre-KotFE stuff even MATTERS). It's broke. I. Is. BROKE, FULL STOP

Edited by RDSmokey

• 2 years later...

This is probably the dumbest thing I seen in any Bioware game ever how this romance is handled here so badly, and I wasn't even aware of it until it was to late. So basically I never broke up with the Lana in the story and I took almost every single flirt option for her during SOR and KOTFE but I missed to take it in the chapter 9 in cantina, but that scene was not done in the best way in my POV because the camera was focusing there on the Theron and I didn't know that my choices in that one single conversation will have a such big impact later for me in the story because I'm going through the new expansions for the first time and because nothing was indicating on that until I discovered to my surprise yesterday during KOTET into the Void chapter how I'm locked out of the romance with her atm because of that which is very disappointing for me.

I'm hoping here that there will come fix for this since many people did made unintentionally the same mistake as I did during the cantina conversation either through the future development of the story or with BW giving us the option to reset the story flags by replaying the chapters. And I would like this coz I care about how the things are turning in the game for my main character.

Edited by Lunablade

...my question is on my main toon have i now missed the opportunity to Romance Lana Beniko for good? Now that I have missed that trigger will another one present itself in future or is there a way i can go back and rectify this? I sure as hell don't wanna be missing out on the Lana romance on my Main Character

Yes you've missed out. That conversation is (very badly) designed to lead you into a romance with one of the three but only if you choose the flirt option for the npc you want to romance (Koth or Lana or Theron). To get Lana you needed to have picked the flirt option in the cantina to talk with her in private and during that conversation you will get an option for which you can choose to be (Youtube spoiler link):

Like many things in this game, that conversation is poorly designed as unless you know what to expect beforehand there is no way to know the importance of it for the romances.

because the camera was focusing there on the Theron

At the moment you have the dialogue wheel up, the camera is looking at *YOU* over Theron's shoulder. Koth is off-screen to the right, and Lana is mostly hidden behind Theron. But yeah, the conversation before that was between you and Theron. (I think they changed it somewhere, because it did look at Theron when it first came out, which made the choice much easier to get wrong.)

and I didn't know that my choices in that one single conversation will have a such big impact later for me in the story because I'm going through the new expansions for the first time and because nothing was indicating on that until I discovered to my surprise yesterday during KOTET into the Void chapter how I'm locked out of the romance with her atm because of that which is very disappointing for me.

I don't want to sound unsympathetic, but why did it take you 14 chapters to notice that you weren't getting [Flirt] choices for Lana? Granted, some of the chapters don't have Lanaflirts, but in my opinion the best of ALL the post-swamp Lanaflirts are the two in Chapter XVI, one at the beginning and one just before the end.

I'm hoping here that there will come fix for this since many people did made unintentionally the same mistake as I did during the cantina conversation either through the future development of the story or with BW giving us the option to reset the story flags by replaying the chapters. And I would like this coz I care about how the things are turning in the game for my main character.

It isn't really broken, so there isn't really anything to fix, unfortunately. One of the marketing points they made noise about for KotFE/ET was that "choices matter". Having it so that choices do, indeed, matter seems well-aligned with that, while "fixing" it so that they don't does seem to be in conflict with that.

I should also point out that I didn't get everything my way: my first "real"(1) character (a Commando) that did KotFE let the reactor blow in Chapter III AND pushed the button to blow the Spire in Chapter X. Sixteen chapters later (counting War on Iokath as a chapter), Elara Dorne told my character to stick her Alliance where the sun don't shine, and flounced off in a huff as a result of what my character did in Chapter X. Shrug. I still play the character (she is one piece short of full 248 with 228-rated augments).

(1) I did it first with a character that I made with my free Outlander token, as a sort of "dry run". That character flubbed the Cantina Conversation, but I've never again done that.

EDIT: what they *could* fix is the way the choice is presented, so that it is harder to get it wrong.

Edited by SteveTheCynic

At the moment you have the dialogue wheel up, the camera is looking at *YOU* over Theron's shoulder. Koth is off-screen to the right, and Lana is mostly hidden behind Theron. But yeah, the conversation before that was between you and Theron. (I think they changed it somewhere, because it did look at Theron when it first came out, which made the choice much easier to get wrong.)

You are right about the cutscene in the end, but as you said the conversation was before that option appearing with the Theron and the screen is focused besides our characters mostly on him there which confused many of us here so we made the mistake.

I don't want to sound unsympathetic, but why did it take you 14 chapters to notice that you weren't getting [Flirt] choices for Lana? Granted, some of the chapters don't have Lanaflirts, but in my opinion the best of ALL the post-swamp Lanaflirts are the two in Chapter XVI, one at the beginning and one just before the end.

Because the game offered to me plenty of flirt moments before and I thought how BW lessened that a bit in the future chapters.

It isn't really broken, so there isn't really anything to fix, unfortunately. One of the marketing points they made noise about for KotFE/ET was that "choices matter". Having it so that choices do, indeed, matter seems well-aligned with that, while "fixing" it so that they don't does seem to be in conflict with that.

But it is broken, because as a I said the entire thing wasn't presented in a good way, and nowhere could I see an indication there about the locking on the romance option if I choose things there differently and before it I never in the story did broke my relationship with her and used the most of the flirt options I could for her so it just seems very unnatural that any romance would end because of that one choice. Anyway if BW cant or will not give us the option to redo story flags by replaying chapters in this case it can give us still the new opportunities to romance Lana or someone else further in the game storyline.

I should also point out that I didn't get everything my way: my first "real"(1) character (a Commando) that did KotFE let the reactor blow in Chapter III AND pushed the button to blow the Spire in Chapter X. Sixteen chapters later (counting War on Iokath as a chapter), Elara Dorne told my character to stick her Alliance where the sun don't shine, and flounced off in a huff as a result of what my character did in Chapter X. Shrug. I still play the character (she is one piece short of full 248 with 228-rated augments).

But there is a difference between those choices, in the ones you mentioned it was clear in the end how if you take some of them that innocent civilians will get killed but in this case nothing was pointing out that people will lose the romance.

Edited by Lunablade