Is This Really What People Want??

havokhead

I disagree that there is a wrong or a right in either of our expectations of the game. Those expectations are ours, not anyone elses. I am sure by our conversation even here that our definition of what an MMO should be is vastly different and that is ok. But I am not wrong on what I expect out of an MMO and neither are you. This game has already been very much centered on the story since it launched and has been a big part of why I have played it. But it wasn't ever 'all' about the story which it seems to be very much so now. It started to become apparent in the SoR expansion where you did the first huge chunk of it alone for the 'story' and were even afforded a ridiculously over powered droid to help you do it alone. But at least with SoR, there were two fairly decent sized planets to quest on AND more importantly for me, 2 new ops. In the end we will most likely just have to agree to disagree which is what I wish more people would do instead of the childish name calling that goes on around here. If this game fits your play style then I hope you continue to enjoy it. Sadly, will move on from it as it is not what I want to spend a subscription on anymore.

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm an old-fashioned mmo player, I've been playing mmos for a long time. I'm also a Star Wars fan, Old Republic was a great mix of the two. That's why I'm here. But personally, I think this new direction of SWTOR is just a big mess. They keep saying "Oh ya, all players really want nowadays is more story, more epicness". Really!!??

Do you really want all of Bioware's resources tied up for months & months to partake in a stream-lined, cut scene infested story arc that can be finished in an afternoon? You don't want any new pvp content? No new operations? Yes I realize these things "may be coming in the near future" but in the meantime this new storyline content just has no re-playability at all. How many times are you willing to follow Lana the "Jedi-wannabe sith" through a swamp? I've been told that this is what players really want and I find it hard to believe.

I think you are all confused, you want to sit around for 6 months at a time waiting for an afternoon's entertainment. Then you don't want an mmo, you want a MOVIE!! And great news, there's a Star Wars movie coming out in 2 months!! I'll see you all there but in the meantime I'd like my mmo back because this is not a mmo PC game, this is an advanced version of a read-along book. I used to read those when I was like 7 yrs old. "If you want to jump over the puddle turn to page 63. If you want to go around the puddle instead, then turn to page 89." Either way you're on the other side of the puddle!! Congratulations you finished Chapter 1 - The Puddle, now please wait patiently for 6 more months as we move on to Chapter 2 - The Hill.

Come on people!!

I have been saying the same thing. If you want a story that matters what choices you make then get a Choose Your Own Adventure book or have someone make one with video for kindles. I sorta watch the story kinda the first time out then its spacebar mcgillicuty the rest of the way. I'm here to play a game not watch cheezy cut-scenes while selecting 1,2or3 and pretending that the outcome isn't the same no matter what.

Edited by TTGolding

I have been saying the same thing. If you want a story that matter what choices you make then get a Chhose Your Own Adventure book or have someone make one with video for kindles. I sorta watch the story kinda the first time out then its spacebar mcgillicuty the rest of the way. Im here to play a game not watch cheezy cutscenes while selecting 1,2or3 and pretending that the outcome isnt the same no matter what.

Agreed to an extent. Perhaps BW is on to a new type of subscription based game that revolves solely around a story with new content released periodically.

I'm an old-fashioned mmo player, I've been playing mmos for a long time. I'm also a Star Wars fan, Old Republic was a great mix of the two. That's why I'm here. But personally, I think this new direction of SWTOR is just a big mess. They keep saying "Oh ya, all players really want nowadays is more story, more epicness". Really!!??

Do you really want all of Bioware's resources tied up for months & months to partake in a stream-lined, cut scene infested story arc that can be finished in an afternoon? You don't want any new pvp content? No new operations? Yes I realize these things "may be coming in the near future" but in the meantime this new storyline content just has no re-playability at all. How many times are you willing to follow Lana the "Jedi-wannabe sith" through a swamp? I've been told that this is what players really want and I find it hard to believe.

I think you are all confused, you want to sit around for 6 months at a time waiting for an afternoon's entertainment. Then you don't want an mmo, you want a MOVIE!! And great news, there's a Star Wars movie coming out in 2 months!! I'll see you all there but in the meantime I'd like my mmo back because this is not a mmo PC game, this is an advanced version of a read-along book. I used to read those when I was like 7 yrs old. "If you want to jump over the puddle turn to page 63. If you want to go around the puddle instead, then turn to page 89." Either way you're on the other side of the puddle!! Congratulations you finished Chapter 1 - The Puddle, now please wait patiently for 6 more months as we move on to Chapter 2 - The Hill.

Come on people!!

After a couple runs with their characters, people will space bar all the dialogue just like with Black Talon/Esseles and find out how really short this expansion is.

Probably even sooner than that with that grandma that just won't shut up...yak, yak, yak, yak, yak....

Problem with this content is, it's EXACTLY 1-2 evenings long. Nothing more to it. Original class stories kept me for 2 freaken YEARS, and only now I've finished them the way I wanted, with full recording.

What's the point of staying after KotFE is beaten? What's to do? Rescaled ops are fun for only so long, and PVP remains unchanged since forever. It took me 2 days to gather all datacrons from 0. I'm pretty positive I'll finish alliances in a week. Content that doesn't keep people for long is a failure from MMO standpoint, no matter how good this content is on itsself.

Doomsaying much, I know, but if Bioware won't play their cards right, and won't do it soon, this will be the beginning of the end for SWTOR.

To answer your question: No this was not what I wanted. The story was a good one, I'm not denying that. It could have been better though if every class had their own like it was in the beginning. But when the story is the only thing this has got going, it's just more like one of those single player games that forces you to be online.

This truly felt more like a movie where you get to pick a few of the lines the actors say. Even getting from one scene to the next was so easy I could actually be watching another movie while doing it. I do hope they tone down the companions a bit in the future to add at least a little challenge.

But anyway, as fun as watching a movie can be, I certainly will not be paying subscription fees every month to a movie.

I love it! The movies make the story come alive. Most video games these days are going that route. Witcher 3 was one giant movie and i loved it. I look for story and characters in my games, i get bored fast with games that just kill stuff all day or run errands.

Yep, this is exactly what I want.

The people saying the game has no MMO elements are actually outright lying. What you mean to say is that it doesn't have hardcore progression or hardcore open world PVP, or whatever other hardcore thing you're looking for.

I do most content in a group, love to PVP, and also do flashpoints quite frequently. Level sync also adds a new MMO element because now high levels can level with low levels. Which, surprise, I've been doing in a group too.

It's an MMO, just not the one you like, and that's fine. I certainly don't like a bunch of MMOs I've tried but I'm not delusional enough to believe they are bad games or nobody likes them just because I don't.

Edited by Beltane

I have been saying the same thing. If you want a story that matters what choices you make then get a Choose Your Own Adventure book or have someone make one with video for kindles. I sorta watch the story kinda the first time out then its spacebar mcgillicuty the rest of the way. I'm here to play a game not watch cheezy cut-scenes while selecting 1,2or3 and pretending that the outcome isn't the same no matter what.

Why would you play a Bioware game then?

Why would you play a Bioware game then?

I know, right? But logic doesn't matter here.

I haven't seen this much prolonged complaining since the game launched, and all of the arguments are pretty weak.

Nothing has really changed about TOR at its core. If you liked the game during 2.0 or 3.0 there's no real reason not to like it now besides not liking trivial change (level sync, companions, level scaling in flashpoints, etc).

How has anyone's gameplay been negatively impacted by any of this? Even crafting. I'm not a huge fan of all the crafting changes but it only took me a few days to adapt and gather the new mats I needed...

Change happens, sometimes change can be annoying, but it isn't always bad. Yet I see people supposedly quitting because their companion can't use the type of weapon it used to.

Edited by Beltane

Yes.

The story is the only good thing about TOR. The people who think it has any other redeeming qualities are morons and delusional. The PVP is awful. The gameplay is tedious and they're making it less so. I'd rather wait 6 months for well-written content because, guess what, I don't spend all of my time playing this game. Imagine that. If you want an MMO that gives you 6 months of boring content, that's on you, go play all of the other games. GW2 has better PVP. Wildstar has better gameplay.

Look at my sig, bro.

And to your signature, I say "For those of you who love talking heads: go play a single player RPG."

Yes, sir, that is exactly what I want. This is the first expansion of this game I really enjoy.

As für your other concerns: Do I want new PVP maps? No, I rarely PVP at all and I do not see the sense in new maps. In the end it is all the same old, same old.

Operations - I couldn't care less. I never entered any operation in this game, ever. I do not see the sense to run one operation, to gain gear to do what... yes! run the next operation. The whole grear progression idea seems pretty useless to me. So I can do well without any operations.

What I enjoy is the story - running different characters with different backgrounds and ethics through the stories, exploring the new story. As I said: this expansion is the first one I really like.

They've already said that more operations are coming. For now, if you want some MMO content start doing the Alliance stuff. You can group for the Star Fortress heroics and for world bosses, and do PVP for alliance stuff.

To answer your question, this is exactly what I wanted. I wish SWTOR had this quality and these QoL features to begin with. I love it.

If group content and PVP is your thing, generally speaking, there's a good chance you are the biggest detriment to more of what you want. Why such the big focus on story? The short version is more (paying) players want that. You want more focus on group and PVP content? Well, you need to grow the base for that then. So keep that in mind everytime someone gets treated like garbage because they want to actually go through the dialogue, or they don't know the map/fight/mechanics perfectly, a player is being turned off to content you like and prefer, which, in the long run, translates to lower priorities for devs to focus on the content you like.

Yes.

The story is what attracted me to SWTOR.

It would be nice if there were more "branches" to the story, but I guess pre-50 is the only place we'll find much in terms of branching, only because they had far more time to develop that than anything else.

That's not to say it doesn't still have replay value. Just need to space it out. I don't want to do the same makeb quest stories over and over again in a row :D

Edited by JWagner

The issue is this: a lot of players do want more story, but story is very quickly consumed. Please recall the devs (Ohlen, I think) commenting that they expected players to go through a class story in a matter of months, when in fact players were blasting through it in weeks. Therefore, devs spend months producing what will be eaten up in weeks, maybe days (the ease of the KotFE content doesn't help this). Then, those same players who requested story will float off to other games and eat up those games' content.

Meanwhile, end game/pvp players are far fewer, but will stick around longer.

So...who should BW cater to, the more numerous short term folks, or the fewer long term folks?

I'm not suggesting I have the answer, but I'd wager that's the talks BW has in regards to the direction to take the game.

I have to admit, I am surprised by the amount of people who have said, "yes, this is what I wanted."

I love the story...don't get me wrong. Especially with the voice overs....its just cool. But I stayed in the game for the endgame content, especially OPs.

This is not what I wanted. But, ultimately, I got this game because it's Star Wars....and I'll stay because it's Star Wars, at least for a little while. But if new OPs and stuff don't come for a while, then I'm out. I love the idea of a Star Wars MMORPG....but it's like they have deliberately gutted the MMO part. When I do OPs, I play with people all around the world, from Canada, America, Germany, Brasil, Australia....especially with voice chat; for me it binds the game into a community.

This new direction, as far as I can see, is isolating. KOTOR 3 I guess.....but dammit, where's the MMO?

Do you really want all of Bioware's resources tied up for months & months to partake in a stream-lined, cut scene infested story arc that can be finished in an afternoon? You don't want any new pvp content? No new operations?

Yes!

(Except that it can be finished in an afternoon. I didn't expect that and I don't like that. But apart from that, just yes.)

I have to admit, I am surprised by the amount of people who have said, "yes, this is what I wanted."

I love the story...don't get me wrong. Especially with the voice overs....its just cool. But I stayed in the game for the endgame content, especially OPs.

This is not what I wanted. But, ultimately, I got this game because it's Star Wars....and I'll stay because it's Star Wars, at least for a little while. But if new OPs and stuff don't come for a while, then I'm out. I love the idea of a Star Wars MMORPG....but it's like they have deliberately gutted the MMO part. When I do OPs, I play with people all around the world, from Canada, America, Germany, Brasil, Australia....especially with voice chat; for me it binds the game into a community.

This new direction, as far as I can see, is isolating. KOTOR 3 I guess.....but dammit, where's the MMO?

I raided for several years in WoW. It's day has come and gone for me. It will never again be something I care much about.

So, for me, SWTOR had very much become the MMO for me in 4.0.

Tell us why every mmo has to be for raiders firstly and foremostly, will you?

This is definitely what I wanted, more story. 1-50 was plagued by too much senseless running around for no damn reason except be a time sink and while the stories had their good parts, lot of it was "Oh no, another super weapon, go do something and kill X people." The presentation is always slick with the conversations but having a more streamlined effort lets them put better emphasis on characters as well as making a much more cohesive and in depth story.

I've never personally been a fan of SWTOR pvp, and while it's flash points can be fun (as well as some of the operations,) the story is why I wanted to play in the first place. If anything SWTOR should have been more of this from the beginning. Have one story per side instead of 8 and use the extra time for things like pvp/raids/flash points others want, too. Less fetch this and that and make the planets actually mean something instead of being 99% empty.

I quit SWTOR shortly after participating in the beta and early access and didn't return until a few months ago to try out Shadow of Revan (don't remember why, just glad I did.) This new expac is great and I hope it continues like this.

Edited by Kai-Sun

Yes.

Great story, fun characters, enjoyable plot twists, and a premise that takes it away from the clever but-completely-explored-by-now "What if in the past, you had the Galactic Empire-type-society from the original series, and the Republic-type-society from the prequels, existing at the same time as two different nations, and they had a fight?" original scenario.

Yes, it's noticeably less MMO than previous version. Good.