The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Legacy names -- allow us to change them

AJediKnight

Last night i was tired when i completed my first Legacy.

So i entered my FIRST name in the box where the legacy name is supposed to be.

Pressed enter and OMG!!!! The rest is history

CSR refuses to help me with this.

I have never in my life experienced CS where they refuse to help a paying customer. Im shocked by this.

As of last night im running around with two first names...

They either:

A) Can't help...

B) Don't want to help...

Or C), aren't authorized to help.

None of these are satisfactory, however.

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was pretty ticked off when, after hitting 35 and getting around to do my legacy quest, I find that my legacy name was "invalid." Not taken, just invalid. I had created my character with this legacy name in mind, and it was really quite annoying to not be able to use it.

We should be allowed to create a legacy at level 1, and rename and/or delete and create a new one at will.

I was pretty ticked off when, after hitting 35 and getting around to do my legacy quest, I find that my legacy name was "invalid." Not taken, just invalid. I had created my character with this legacy name in mind, and it was really quite annoying to not be able to use it.

We should be allowed to create a legacy at level 1, and rename and/or delete and create a new one at will.

This^

Yeah, complete agreement here. Surnames should be changeable and non-unique. I love this game, but the implemenation of the Legacy system is, to be blunt, stupid. Names are important. They have meaning. Not being able to get the character name you want is one thing; that's something you know from the beginning, and can accommodate accordingly. But what do you do when you get to level 30-ish and then discover that the surname you want is taken? Well, your options are basically a) pick something else and live with it, or b) recreate the character on another server and hope that the name you want is available, and still will be when you get to the point of claiming it. That's the position I'm in now, and it's utterly maddening.

I HATE that the surnames are unique. I planned out my name BEFORE pre-launch. All set. Ready. Problem is, I level slow. Shoot me. So, there I am today, at level 26 rolling around doing quests, and what do I see? My chosen surname on a level 50 standing at the mailbox right beside me. All fair in love and war, and he/she beat me to it fair and square. However, and I know this might sound silly to most, it kind of sapped my desire to even level.

Do you know how many thousands of people have my last name IRL? Why would it be odd at all to have a few characters on a certain server with the same last name. Was Han Solo the ONLY Solo in the entire galaxy? Pretty stupid imho.

While I dont personally see a great need for legacy names to be changable, I see no reason for them not to be. I couldn't use my first choice or second or third choice for a legacy, but I am reasonably happy with the one I got now.

But yeah, is there a legitimate reason not to allow us to change that name? Or our first name for that matter, though that might be harder since the server recognizes the character through that name.

Some weird names are 'invald' for first names, too. Both James and Humphrey are apparently 'too real' for Star Wars, but Christopher? Fine and dandy!

Yep, I couldn't agree more. I don't know what they were thinking with this legacy name thing, but it's horribly ill-considered.

^this X 1000000000000

I'm about as pissed as the OP. I'm sure Bioware are aware of the reasons but I'm about to rant on anyway and add my voice to the rest of the disgruntled fans.

As far as I'm concerned this is COMPLETELY unacceptable and utterly stupid. I've been a huge Bioware fan and a huge proponent of this game since 2008, but I will say it: "THIS IS FAIL."

I mean first of all, there is ZERO room for error, which is unforgiving considering you are level 30 or w/e. It's not as if you're level 1 and can start your toon over. Hell, even then, you'd be stuck with the same surname.

Second, I DON'T WANT THE SAME LAST NAME!!!!!!!! - Can't it be that simple? Do I have to have well thought out reasons for this? Must I count the ways this is illogical? I just plain want a different surname for my alts than that of my main. I don't want to have to hide the surname of my main and do without. I want a surname on all my toons.

Hell if you were to ask Han Solo his opinion - I'm sure he would despise walking around as "Han Skywalker" or "Han of the Skywalker Legacy" - or worse - Luke Solo or Luke of the Solo Legacy. And what about Chewbacca? Oh right - he just hid his surname from the world.. I'm sure he died with that secret. This is iconic? GET REAL.

Third, I don't want to have to race to the end of Act 1 to reserve my name. This is counterintuitive when considering Bioware's stance on the rat race grind of traditional MMO's. This is especially unfair to those of us who had to travel home for the holidays and had to miss the early leveling stage.

Fourth, I don't want to have to change servers to get a new Legacy name. I don't think I need to give reasons for this.

Who thought this would fly?

Frankly, I expect more from Bioware. And if you have a change in the works, for God's sake let us know.

Frankly, I expect more from Bioware. And if you have a change in the works, for God's sake let us know.

Sadly, even if they responded, it'd probably be in some interview on Reddit. I don't really know what Stephen Reid's job is anymore, to be honest -- certainly, it doesn't involve coming here.

Edited by AJediKnight

Sadly, even if they responded, it'd probably be in some interview on Reddit. I don't really know what Stephen Reid's job is anymore, to be honest -- certainly, it doesn't involve coming here.

I could understand if some of them are on small breaks for the holiday's. God knows they've earned some R&R. But surely someone there, with enough pull to proclaim their future intentions, understands our disdain.

We may be a minority, but I doubt we represent an insignificant population.

I could understand if some of them are on small breaks for the holiday's. God knows they've earned some R&R. But surely someone there, with enough pull to proclaim their future intentions, understands our disdain.

We may be a minority, but I doubt we represent an insignificant population.

I don't even know if we are a minority. When it was originally announced that the Legacy Names were being linked to surnames during Thanksgiving weekend, the forums absolutely flipped out. The overwhelming majority found the concept to be just bad. And the more we learned about the plan -- surnames had to be unique; only one surname per server -- the angrier people got.

Unfortunately, there was no response then, either, and there were multiple 100-post incarnations of that thread.

Some weird names are 'invald' for first names, too. Both James and Humphrey are apparently 'too real' for Star Wars, but Christopher? Fine and dandy!

It's indeed weird that a lot of real names are forbidden considering the star of the movies was named Luke.

And I've always imagined Han being short for Henry.

Think harder about your Legacy name. My smuggler was my main when I started and finished Chapter 1 and chose my surname, I already planned on playing Trooper, Knight and Consular at some point and chose a name that to me allowed me to tie those all together under the same Legacy.

As for the Sith side, well my guild is on two servers, so my Sith will have their own name.

Not sure what you expected, however, I am pretty sure it was established well before release that the Legacy was meant to cover the entire account on that server, and eventually is meant to give you more options and things for playing the game to high levels on different characters.

I don't even know if we are a minority. When it was originally announced that the Legacy Names were being linked to surnames during Thanksgiving weekend, the forums absolutely flipped out. The overwhelming majority found the concept to be just bad. And the more we learned about the plan -- surnames had to be unique; only one surname per server -- the angrier people got.

Unfortunately, there was no response then, either, and there were multiple 100-post incarnations of that thread.

I'm surprised I missed all this, although I have been incredibly busy with work to make up for my holidays R&R.

I was initially excited about the Legacy system - and still will be if they simply unlink the surnames. Hell idk the best course of action, but, it can't be hard to create a better system than the crap we're currently forced to use.

Think harder about your Legacy name. My smuggler was my main when I started and finished Chapter 1 and chose my surname, I already planned on playing Trooper, Knight and Consular at some point and chose a name that to me allowed me to tie those all together under the same Legacy.

As for the Sith side, well my guild is on two servers, so my Sith will have their own name.

Not sure what you expected, however, I am pretty sure it was established well before release that the Legacy was meant to cover the entire account on that server, and eventually is meant to give you more options and things for playing the game to high levels on different characters.

It's not about being creative enough to conjure a universal name. It's about choice. Choice you don't have if you're name is taken. Choice you don't have if you want 2 surnames. Choice you don't have if your favorite surname is Darkyadayada and also want a lightside character. Choice you don't have if your guild is on ONE server. Choice you don't have if you already chose your names. Choice you don't have if you *********** make a typo.

The legacy system is a great idea. The surname being tied to it? Not so much.

It's not about being creative enough to conjure a universal name. It's about choice. Choice you don't have if you're name is taken. Choice you don't have if you want 2 surnames. Choice you don't have if your favorite surname is Darkyadayada and also want a lightside character. Choice you don't have if your guild is on ONE server. Choice you don't have if you already chose your names. Choice you don't have if you *********** make a typo.

The legacy system is a great idea. The surname being tied to it? Not so much.

+5 points for accuracy.

They just need us to change it either paid with credits or cash either way I'm happy. I'm pretty annoyed with my self for a tired mistake I did. Its not like naming a character which can be corrected by re-rolling that char, but now I'm stuck with this legacy name on this server which I have a large amount of friends playing on. I like to see something announced on the issue before I have to hand over my first sub fee.

My character doesn't even have a last name. He's a one worder like Greedo, Chewbacca, or Wicket. I'm hoping that I can just keep closing the prompt box.

If forced to chose, I probably will end up with a name like legacysystemsucks.

For what it is worth, I had a CSR contact me back regarding changing my Legacy name.

I assume it was a canned response to a point, but he/she did go on to say that they are aware of many people requesting this and while they can't do it at the time, they are working on a solution to the problem.

Believe me, I'm no fanboy and no blind optimist, but the CSR did repeatedly state that they were aware of the issue and a solution was being looked at.

I wish I'd had fraps or something going to show the response, but alas it was not running as I was not really expecting to be contacted back...lol

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

For what it is worth, I had a CSR contact me back regarding changing my Legacy name.

I assume it was a canned response to a point, but he/she did go on to say that they are aware of many people requesting this and while they can't do it at the time, they are working on a solution to the problem.

Believe me, I'm no fanboy and no blind optimist, but the CSR did repeatedly state that they were aware of the issue and a solution was being looked at.

I wish I'd had fraps or something going to show the response, but alas it was not running as I was not really expecting to be contacted back...lol

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I also received a similar response. The question is: is a solution really being worked on, or is it merely company policy to tell us so? I am afraid I would be more inclined to believe positive news if it came from a source that actually developed policy.