At what point is KotFE just a movie?

gsummers

I am excited for KotFE, I think the story could be very good. But watching the streamers playing chapter 1, I did get a little worried. How much of KotFE are we going to be playing, versus just sitting back and picking dialogue options in a movie.

Chapter One seems like it was basically as follows

1. Long cutscene

2. short dungeon run

3. Long cutscene

4. walk down a hallway on your own power (seemed kind of pointless)

5. Long cutscene

Don't get me wrong, the cutscenes are excellent, but all in all I got the impression that there is not so much game playing to be had in KotFE.

I guess what would make a difference is if there are side quests to be done in between the main cutscenes but still within the chapter. It might be nice to have a little freedom of movement and direction before heading to the next cutscene.

That was only a small part of a chapter. Wait till it releases before judging it, so far it looks linear but if we are travelling from various planets I don't expect the rest of the game to be. And also "don't get me wrong" has got to be the most overused phrase in the history of the web.

Odds are, the beginning of the first chapter is very cinematic-like, simply to establish the story. If I recall correctly, even our class stories had alot of cutscene action to them starting out (basic tasks, back to cutscene-land). It's just simply meant to introduce the story, in my opinion, and won't be as bad as you progress. [you'll still have them, yes. but that's how you make your choices :) ]

I remember Eric mentioning at one point for his first KotFE live stream that they were playing on a special Dev / Press version that had the combat and gameplay part of it trimmed down and simplified, so that on the streams and demos they could specifically get to the cutscenes quicker with less time spent actually fighting along the way.

Not sure if that was true of all the livestreams, but I do believe he said the one he was playing on was the same that the press had been given to play through.

I am excited for KotFE, I think the story could be very good. But watching the streamers playing chapter 1, I did get a little worried. How much of KotFE are we going to be playing, versus just sitting back and picking dialogue options in a movie.

Chapter One seems like it was basically as follows

1. Long cutscene

2. short dungeon run

3. Long cutscene

4. walk down a hallway on your own power (seemed kind of pointless)

5. Long cutscene

Don't get me wrong, the cutscenes are excellent, but all in all I got the impression that there is not so much game playing to be had in KotFE.

I guess what would make a difference is if there are side quests to be done in between the main cutscenes but still within the chapter. It might be nice to have a little freedom of movement and direction before heading to the next cutscene.

Pretty good observation OP.

12xXP has already turned the actual gameplay experience of most people into something pretty dumb. Or rather, 12xXP has turned gameplay into something incredibly monotone and swallow. Listen to General Garza for three minutes->Spend 12 minutes driving/running around Coruscant -> Reach your instance, enter. ->Spend 5 mins going to the end of instance, killing mobs that never do anything special and are never a challenge to kill. -> 1 min dialogue with current mini boss of the storyline. Proceed to kill him->20 secs of dialogue while beaten miniboss is holding his ribs in awkward fashion->Bioware decision omg, can kill him if you want! -> Teleport to Garza->Spend 5 mins talking with Garza..

Pre 12xXP when game forced you to do something else besides story, people would end up having much more diverse overall experience. Some would turn to GSF and PvP for bit extra XP here and there.Most would do planetary stories, heroics etc. Some would look into spamming few FPs here and there..

Now it is about driving from one NPC to another and talking with him. I have never seen or heard anything so excellent in narrative of this game that it would justify this heavy investment in class stories.

Needless to say, 12xXP (and it's KOTFE era version) are complete afterthoughts; no story, chapter, zone or world is designed to be finished in fashion people are finishing them now. Take Jedi Knight story for example. 12xXP makes it utterly RIDICULOUS. Sith Empire stole a super weapon from us. We need your help in breaking it or getting it back. Thanks! By the way, Sith Empire stole a super weapon from us. We need your help in breaking it or getting it back. Thanks! By the way, Sith Empire stole.. it is just..laughble, honestly. Of course, spine of story is what it has always been, but cases such as this bother much less when you can punctuate and bury it in fluff of planetary stories, heroics, Fps, etc.

..AND YET! There are tons of people who come here to praise how awesome 12xXP is, when it enables them to do THIS?? I really don't get it.

PS OP, I can assure you that I absolutely have every possible intention of getting you wrong when you say " cutscenes are excellent" It is almost always you looking at a head that talks to another head. Once you figure out what is so excellent or exciting in staring that, please let me know asap. Thanks!: p

Edited by Stradlin

12xXP has already turned the actual gameplay experience of most people into something pretty dumb. Or rather, 12xXP has turned gameplay into something incredibly monotone and swallow. Listen to General Garza for three minutes->Spend 12 minutes driving/running around Coruscant -> Reach your instance, enter. ->Spend 5 mins going to the end of instance, killing mobs that never do anything special and are never a challenge to kill. -> 1 min dialogue with current mini boss of the storyline. Proceed to kill him->20 secs of dialogue while beaten miniboss is holding his ribs in awkward fashion->Bioware decision omg, can kill him if you want! -> Teleport to Garza->Spend 5 mins talking with Garza..

Pre 12xXP when game forced you to do something else besides story, people would end up having much more diverse overall experience. Some would turn to GSF and PvP for bit extra XP here and there.Most would do planetary stories, heroics etc. Some would look into spamming few FPs here and there..

Now it is about driving from one NPC to another and talking with him. I have never seen or heard anything so excellent in narrative of this game that it would justify this heavy investment in class stories.

Needless to say, 12xXP (and it's KOTFE era version) are complete afterthoughts; no story, chapter, zone or world is designed to be finished in fashion people are finishing them now. Take Jedi Knight story for example. 12xXP makes it utterly RIDICULOUS. Sith Empire stole a super weapon from us. We need your help in breaking it or getting it back. Thanks! By the way, Sith Empire stole a super weapon from us. We need your help in breaking it or getting it back. Thanks! By the way, Sith Empire stole.. it is just..laughble, honestly. Of course, spine of story is what it has always been, but cases such as this bother much less when you can punctuate and bury it in fluff of planetary stories, heroics, Fps, etc.

..AND YET! There are tons of people who come here to praise how awesome 12xXP is, when it enables them to do THIS?? I really don't get it.

PS OP, I can assure you that I absolutely have every possible intention of getting you wrong when you say " cutscenes are excellent" It is almost always you looking at a head that talks to another head. Once you figure out what is so excellent or exciting in staring that, please let me know asap. Thanks!: p

tl;dr: People like things I don't, so I haz a confused.

That was only a small part of a chapter. Wait till it releases before judging it, so far it looks linear but if we are travelling from various planets I don't expect the rest of the game to be. And also "don't get me wrong" has got to be the most overused phrase in the history of the web.

That was most of chapter 1 actually, not a small part.

Yeah the jedi knight story was so stupid... Pubs have some very unsecured super weapons.. thought the plot was boring as it was repetitive like you said, IMPS trying to steal X weapon, JK has to stop them... sigh

At what point is KofFE just a movie?

I'd say at the point you go to YouTube/Twitch and watch someone else's stream.

While the new expansion does look very linear, that has always been the case with SWTOR, it may have been better disguised with planetary, side and bonus missions breaking up the class missions. But, it was still a case of go to mission hub, pick up quests, listen to custscenes, kill some stuff, head back, listen to cutscenes, move to next mission hub.

I suspect BW looked at their metrics to see how many players chose to play through purely on Class quests or every quest available and that informed the final design of KotFE.

Edited by Vhaegrant

That was most of chapter 1 actually, not a small part.

Correct, I seem to recall Eric saying in the stream that he'd be taking us through most of chapter 1.

Interesting point OP....that was a lot of cut scene action but it makes sense being chapter on and having to set the story.

We get 9 chapters on release yes? 9 sounds like a lot but I do not think these are large in depth chapters like the first few class story chapters we experience.

A bit off topic, do we even know if there are new planets in this KOTFE expansion? I bring this up because it highly doubt 9 chapters will keep us players and our voracious appetites for content in check for more then a week after release. Side quests and new worlds ( used lightly) to explore will help stave off the "WHAT NAOW" pitchfork parade.

Edited by Zakua

Correct, I seem to recall Eric saying in the stream that he'd be taking us through most of chapter 1.

Interesting point OP....that was a lot of cut scene action but it makes sense being chapter on and having to set the story.

We get 9 chapters on release yes? 9 sounds like a lot but I do not think these are large in depth chapters like the first few class story chapters we experience.

A bit off topic, do we even know if there are new planets in this KOTFE expansion? I bring this up because it highly doubt 9 chapters will keep us players and our voracious appetites for content in check for more then a week after release. Side quests and new worlds ( used lightly) to explore will help stave off the "WHAT NAOW" pitchfork parade.

yeah they said new planets early on, no details that I know of on what planets besides Zakuul.

Don't get me wrong, but it is an Internet rule. You have to start or end anything you say on the Internet with "don't get me wrong." If you do not, then you just aren't displaying good Internet etiquette.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.