Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Level synch = death of SWTOR

Tahra

Just like I wonder why some people like to punish themselves with random PUGs. It's not fun. If you enjoy it, that's great Good for you! I'm glad you found something in this game that you enjoy, and I hope you can find plenty of other people who also enjoy it to play with you. I'm not one of them. Why should I be forced into it?

You're not forced into killing the trash between you and your prey. You can run past everything quite easily and keep running till they reset. You can do this also as lowbie, I did it a lot while lvling with 12x not bothering with mob kills between quests. Very easy.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to see for myself what it entails, how it's approached, what the mechanics are and how it's played before making any decisions or jumping to any conclusions. As does everybody before we make any rash decisions.

Then I can only believe you're new into MMo gaming and the leveling expereince they bring if you have to play this to understand it. Understand what it's doing and the mechanics behind it.

I can only believe you are incapable of making an educated guess on the information we have been given and would rather say in la-la land than face what is actually going on.

You seem to think gamers here are jumping to conclusions when it's easily understandable what this change means to game play at some point for end game players. Somehow gamers can't grasp how this is a bad change for their entertainment and game play.

Again, I'm not sure you could be more wrong.

Edited by Quraswren

If I had to venture a guess, it's like the people who don't want there to be "Solo Mode" Operations for the people who want the story...because supposedly if people can do "solo mode", they won't want to team up to do it.

Personally, I think it's probably not quite right though since it makes the assumption that everyone who would have soloed it won't just ignore the content if forced to team.

I think your right with your venturing and right with your second point. The ability to do solo ops will allow me see content I just otherwise wouldn't end up doing at all. This whole system also seems contrary to the direction the game was going i.e. more soloable, more casual friendly. I understand some people won't be happy with that direction, but it makes the announcement of this system all the more confusing.

Open world level syncing isn't something that really can be optional because it would cause a balancing nightmare. Imagine a few level 65's going to a lower level planet and getting synced down to 40 all it would take is one level 65 who opted out of level sync to stroll up and wipe all of them out. And before anyone says anything about world pvp being dead that doesn't matter, that scenario still has to be taken into consideration. It doesn't matter if world pvp is a rare occurance the fact is it's possible, and that is a major reason level syncing can't be optional.

They're not going to implement separate systems between pve and pvp servers to allow people to opt out on pve servers, it would be too much hassel and there aren't enough people bothered by level syncing for them to consider it. Before anyone calls me a pvp whiner or something similar, I don't pvp in this game or any other game I play, most of my game library is made up of single player rpg's, pve centric mmo's, or at most cooperative multi-player games.

You're not forced into killing the trash between you and your prey. You can run past everything quite easily and keep running till they reset. You can do this also as lowbie, I did it a lot while lvling with 12x not bothering with mob kills between quests. Very easy.

Even if this was always the case (and it's not; quite a few mobs have pulls/stuns/whatever else), what's your genius suggestion for making open world RP work? Just don't do it? How about soloing a H4? Should I just not try to do that because you don't want me to play the game that way?

I really don't understand the fixation some people on this forum have. Where do you get off telling me how I should spend my time playing? What gives you the right to do that, exactly?

Edited by DakhathKilrathi

Open world level syncing isn't something that really can be optional because it would cause a balancing nightmare. Imagine a few level 65's going to a lower level planet and getting synced down to 40 all it would take is one level 65 who opted out of level sync to stroll up and wipe all of them out. And before anyone says anything about world pvp being dead that doesn't matter, that scenario still has to be taken into consideration. It doesn't matter if world pvp is a rare occurance the fact is it's possible, and that is a major reason level syncing can't be optional.

They're not going to implement separate systems between pve and pvp servers to allow people to opt out on pve servers, it would be too much hassel and there aren't enough people bothered by level syncing for them to consider it. Before anyone calls me a pvp whiner or something similar, I don't pvp in this game or any other game I play, most of my game library is made up of single player rpg's, pve centric mmo's, or at most cooperative multi-player games.

YES! Exactly! It would be a nightmare for balancing or so if it were optional. But, people do have a choice. Sub or don't sub is what it comes down to. Sorry guys. That's the truth. If you dislike it so much, vote with your wallet.

lol I know, right. What his posts obviously needs is more paragraphs and more pretty colors. :D He sure is good at regurgitating the same response over and over.

It's the way to do it to get your point across and have people understand you easier because you are saying the same thing in a different way sometimes.

And its forced. Not optional.

Worst. Decision. Ever.

Best.Decision.Ever. No more OP level 60's running around killing World Bosses in a single hit, botting, farming, etc. Okay so there will still be botting, but it won't be as simple on them to do.

I guess it just doesn't bother me because I am already used to this from FFXIV. it's not that bad. people are freaking out but it really isn't that bad. People who are upset about this are the high level farmers who just want to wipe everything despite a low level who might need to get kills in for his quest.

EDIT: Did I mention - grouping with a low level friend - I won;t be sucking all the XP from him/her. Sweeeeeeet. Many times I'd get a friend to start playing SWTOR, but since all of my characters are level 60 I couldn't just group up to help them through content. Now I can. :)

Edited by Faelandaea

That's what Arenas, Warzones, et al. are for. You want a "fair" fight - you have more than enough opportunity to play those. Open World PvP is a free for all, and it should be - that's what makes it different and that's what makes it great.

well now it'll be a free for all opportunity for you to get slapped around by a lowbie who is better than you. :rak_01:

Then I can only believe you're new into MMo gaming and the leveling expereince they bring if you have to play this to understand it. Understand what it's doing and the mechanics behind it.

I can only believe you are incapable of making an educated guess on the information we have been given and would rather say in la-la land than face what is actually going on.

You seem to think gamers here are jumping to conclusions when it's easily understandable what this change means to game play at some point for end game players. Somehow gamers can't grasp how this is a bad change for their entertainment and game play.

Again, I'm not sure you could be more wrong.

So you know of many MMO producers that spend huge amounts of time and effort in developing a system like that heroic terminal for purely doing low level levelling planet content? Sort yourself out. There's clearly a greater reason for this and it's clearly at the heart of 4.0. Just cos we're all in shock over it (mainly because they've kept it under wraps) doesn't mean all reason goes out of the window.

Any experienced MMO gamer will know that their game is constantly in flux and that it's a bus not a taxi.

Edited by leehambly

Even if this was always the case (and it's not; quite a few mobs have pulls/stuns/whatever else), what's your genius suggestion for making open world RP work? Just don't do it? How about soloing a H4? Should I just not try to do that because you don't want me to play the game that way?

I'm not sure what you're getting at. I dont want you to do a heroic? Why wouldt i want you to do a heroic? Lost me there good sir.

And do mobs somehow interfere with your world RP? Or are you just upset your jedi master cannot RP oneshot a droid on Coruscant sewers anymore?

It's not just for flashpoints. Don't you see? It's beneficial for the whole game because instead of doing something one time as you level, you can do it multiple times but STILL be a powerful level and have your stuffs etc BUT you will have another scaling level.

I think this is the start of something bigger for the game! I'll be in here all night answering questions and clearing confusion about what perhaps this scaling system is. Basically they are going the route of GW2, where the whole game is relevant, regardless of level, you can keep on doing things infinite amount of times because it scales you.

Yea, I know its not just flashpoints....its everywhere you go. That was just one example.

I get what the scaling is about and understand the GW2 model. On a max level toon I just don't see the attraction of doing recycled content that I've already done many times as a substitute for new content.

Says the shill. You guys are so obvious.

No kidding.

All that moronic talk about logic and what not and BW couldn't see the logic in making this a gamer option or not. Gamers are suppose to for some reason "wait and see" because it's not obvious enough whats going on to make a decision.

Edited by Quraswren

I don't agree with Sarfux on this at all, and we're at opposite ends of the "how full is the glass" spectrum, but... slamming on him with silly, shallow comments about ESL and "paid shill" doesn't do anything for the discussing.

Max, I'm used to being called names because I support the game and am optimistic about things. I get put down a lot for it. Does it bother me? No. I don't let it effect me.

I don't agree with Sarfux on this at all, and we're at opposite ends of the "how full is the glass" spectrum, but... slamming on him with silly, shallow comments about ESL and "paid shill" doesn't do anything for the discussing.

I don't care. I believe it's true and I will call him out as such. Just how it is.

Yea, I know its not just flashpoints....its everywhere you go. That was just one example.

I get what the scaling is about and understand the GW2 model. On a max level toon I just don't see the attraction of doing recycled content that I've already done many times as a substitute for new content.

You do recycled content every single time you set foot in an mmorpg. You can do things now all the time, everywhere, anytime you want without needing to start a new character if you want. It's NOT making you a "weak pathetic" youngling or crappy shooting bounty hunter again like you were lvl 15 or 20. It's not like that at all!!

I'm not sure what you're getting at. I dont want you to do a heroic? Why wouldt i want you to do a heroic? Lost me there good sir.

And do mobs somehow interfere with your world RP? Or are you just upset your jedi master cannot RP oneshot a droid on Coruscant sewers anymore?

As a matter of fact, they sure do. Have you ever seriously stopped to look at mob density in this game? Are you aware of just how large the aggro range really is? Open world RP where you don't have to repeatedly kill the same trash because it just gets in the way is already a problem. But it's not so bad when you can just one shot it and be done with it until it respawns.

But no, we shouldn't be able to do that, I guess. We should waste time killing it instead! Golly gee, that sounds like fun! Sign me up!

Once again: what, exactly, gives you the right to tell me how I should spend my time playing this game? What would it matter to you if I one-shot everything if I wasn't getting the same rewards for it? How exactly does that hurt you?

Edited by DakhathKilrathi

I don't care. I believe it's true and I will call him out as such. Just how it is.

"call me out"? and what is that going to do? I never understood that "calling out" thing. Do what you want. I'm just an average person sitting in my house and I game a lot. But, believe whatever you want. ;)Beliefs and facts are two different things.

Edited by Sarfux

This. It still wasn't challenging in any way -- it just took longer, and Eric had to deal with random mob aggro to boot.

It's possible that the higher-level planets will be better-balanced for actual "challenge."

But then this is why not having it as a toggle puts them in a no win situation. If they actually do better balance it for actual challenge, then it will make exploration, achievements, datacrons etc and just moving about tedious.

With a toggle, they could actually balance the down levelled version to actually be challenging (I would REALLY LIKE THIS) without all the downsides of it.

/headinhands

I've seen that turn into a dumpster fire too many times, I refuse to do it unless they're grayed out, end of story.

Always carve a path in, always make sure you have a path out, unless the mobs literally cannot hurt you, as far as I'm concerned.

You have to read between the lines... I don't think its about it being attractive, its clearly part of the 4.0 update, intrinsically part of the story. You have lost your companions... you need to rebuild your team by gaining influence... where do you think those companions are, exactly? All huddled together on a single new planet??