Please make level scaling optional in KotFE

wepeel

This is the thing though, and why it should be optional. One of the things that attracted me to the game was "RPG", which to me as an older gamer means solo, with the occasional grouping up. Having it forced grouping, or not being able to solo stuff I've out-levelled will pretty much remove one of the main reasons why I still play this game. Grind I can live with, having played RPG titles like the Diablo series.

If BioWare removed that aspect of the game, I'm not sure they understand what keeps players in their game. In fact as it is, they probably don't, judging past decisions.

While I am an older gamer as well...44 it's a MMORPG not a straight RPG.

Again I honestly don't go back and solo stuff. I am not an achivement hound nor do i farm rep like i should. Speaking for myself I have no issues with this. If it is done like I understand. It's been thrown around that you lose your skills as well and if thats the case I will unsub and not look back.

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why? If I wanna head to Alderaan and help a friend level, why not allow me the choice of de-leveling for it? What's not fair exactly? If I want to mentor someone, I can...if I don't, I don't need to. What's wrong with making it optional?

I have no idea where this "it's only fair if you make everyone do it" thing comes from.

Seems more fair to not make anyone do it, but to give them the choice.

You know, thinking about it... It's pretty counter-productive in regards to some planets.

I mean, what about Makeb? Do we get downscalled only to activate the GSI Terminal that automatically boosts us up to near 60 efficiency?

It's silly.

You can always make a char. This doesn't require ANY downgrade.

There's Kuat Drive Yards. Which also doesn't require ANY downgrade.

There's ALWAYS a way without doing some idiotic things like "downgrade".

I can see how it's gonna work in FP.

But in leveling content like planetary quests... It's unnesessary, stupid and painful. Like a nail in your foot.

Downgrading in GROUP FINDER content indeed will provide some sort of "resurrection" for an old content.

But again - ONLY in Group Finder.

None of that allows for a higher level character to help a lower level character in their storylines or just generally group up with them for their storylines. And that first one? Not really a great option if that lower level character isn't <10 considering the fact that they'd then have to level up to reach the person they were intending to help/group with in the first place.

And you missed the point of my post entirely anyway. I never said forcing level scaling was a good thing. You said there were no benefits or rewards to downscaling and there clearly are. Just not for you. That's why, in my opinion, it should be a choice and given how things work in the game right now I wouldn't be surprised if that's already the plan.

None of that allows for a higher level character to help a lower level character in their storylines or just generally group up with them for their storylines. And that first one? Not really a great option if that lower level character isn't <10 considering the fact that they'd then have to level up to reach the person they were intending to help/group with in the first place.

And you missed the point of my post entirely anyway. I never said forcing level scaling was a good thing. You said there were no benefits or rewards to downscaling and there clearly are. Just not for you. That's why, in my opinion, it should be a choice and given how things work in the game right now I wouldn't be surprised if that's already the plan.

You even don't know what are you talking about aren't you?

Why would someone require help of 60 level character to get through class mission?

Maybe instead of ripping mobs apart - you will EXPLAIN your friend HOW to do it properly?

Give some advices about gear and rotation? No?

But i guess it will be too hard for you...

Why would someone require help of 60 level character to get through class mission?

Maybe instead of ripping mobs apart - you will EXPLAIN your friend HOW to do it properly?

Why do you get to dictate how others play a game? Why do you care so much to throw thinly veiled insults at people? Can't others have a different playstyle?

Downscaling makes sense. Ever since they made all planet quests drop basic comms that can buy lvl60 gear it seemed wrong to farm lvl 15 heroics fir lvl 60 gear. If they make it optional you should lose all drops, credits, and other rewards imo.

I would also suspect the new companion alliance stuff is tied into old content, unfortunately. Thus, they likely needed a mechanism to make that content somewhat relevant. Maybe they'll surprise me and have all new content for recruiting thr new comps.

That said, if they do downscaling like other games, you will keep your advanced skills, more powerful passives, and utilities and still stomp over champion level mobs even with a downgrade in base stats.

I'd like to say mandatory scaling would be nice for OWPVP but really, what OWPVP?

I've only farmed Ilum, other dailies, and FPs a gorillion times solo for $ and that approach fitting my personal preferences. That is, I'm not into OPs or PVE progression and not always interested in making the GTN another job.

Scaling for the lowbie stuff I do or any other lowbie planetary content sounds like the most uninteresting thing I can think of. I see some folks inferring it would be challenging in a good way. Maybe for you. I've been doing it since launch, just sounds boring as **** to me.

Edited by Joesixxpack

Downscaling makes sense. Ever since they made all planet quests drop basic comms that can buy lvl60 gear it seemed wrong to farm lvl 15 heroics fir lvl 60 gear. If they make it optional you should lose all drops, credits, and other rewards imo.

I would also suspect the new companion alliance stuff is tied into old content, unfortunately. Thus, they likely needed a mechanism to make that content somewhat relevant. Maybe they'll surprise me and have all new content for recruiting thr new comps.

That said, if they do downscaling like other games, you will keep your advanced skills, more powerful passives, and utilities and still stomp over champion level mobs even with a downgrade in base stats.

Why even have levels then? Why don't we just migrate to a skill system? Since levels mean nothing, why continue to use them?

Yet again you've missed the point, perhaps you should refrain from tossing around insults and use that energy to instead actually read my post.

A new player just hitting Taris or Nar Shaddaa with their first character, probably doesn't know how to play the game as well as somebody who's been through to level 60 a time or two. If they have a friend that falls into that category, that friend could stop by and group with them, watch what they're doing, help them out and give advice as needed. That'd make that whole "Explaining rotations and gear" thing a lot easier since they'd be able to see just what they were doing wrong in the first place. And the point was that they don't need help from a level 60. They need help from their friend, preferably not at level 60 due to the fact that they'd lose XP due to that. Thus why the option for downscaling would be useful.

And again, that's putting aside other motivations. Higher level character groups up with lower level character because they want to play together but the lower level wants to actually work on their storyline. Lower level wants to do a heroic but doesn't want to wait another 10 levels to be able solo it (and perhaps doesn't want to walk through it regardless but rather play through it close to level). What you're missing from my post is that I'm not saying this is the best solution ever, I'm saying it has its benefits to those that would use it, something you apparently refuse to see. Which, again, is fine because I'd much rather they make it optional so those that don't want to use it don't have to. I likely wouldn't use it a lot myself and it'd annoy me if it was on permanently, but for those that would use it it definitely has its benefits. You'd know this if you'd allow yourself to see the perspective of other players for a moment.

Edited by The-Kaitou-Kid

Hard shmard. If you're a helpful coach like you're implying you are then you already know that's a bogus point to make.

Hard shmard. If you're a helpful coach like you're implying you are then you already know that's a bogus point to make.

When I help people lower level than me as a coach on my 60, I usually don't do anything unless it looks like they are about to get whacked hard. If I'm on a character with heals of some sort, that's about all I'll do. I explain to the player what they need to do in order to complete the task, but I try not to interfere in the fight. So me being 60 really doesn't have an effect on the outcome unless they really screw up.

After thinking about it a bit, I really love the scaling and if it is planetary wide I'm all for it.

Making things a challenge even for over leveled toons is not a bad thing. You can't face roll content and you have to be wary and more alert everywhere. It is a dangerous galaxy after all. You can still help lowbies, you can still get your datacrons and you can still do the H4s, but you will have to be creative and actually use your skills. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I look forward to WBs becoming relevant again. Welcome back NiM Pilgrim!

PLEASE do not make level scaling mandatory. From just an RP perspective it will make world RP that much harder. Please no.

Gotta disagree....I don't RP as a level 60 SI, and the only difficult thing about it is respawning npcs, but like a ((OOC)) comment, take a second and kill it.

I don't see how this has any impact on RP in the slightest.

Gotta disagree....I don't RP as a level 60 SI, and the only difficult thing about it is respawning npcs, but like a ((OOC)) comment, take a second and kill it.

I don't see how this has any impact on RP in the slightest.

You actually need to stop RPing and kill the enemys... that is a difference. Maybe not for you, but for others.

Say NO to FORCED level scaling in 4.0!

Edited by Methylium

• 2 weeks later...

Level Scaling should be optional, otherwise it would kill RP immersion... At the end of the class story, everyone gets some unique and powerful position in the galaxy...

Like being Emperor's Wrath, being in the Dark Council, etc.

When these people fight normal soldiers, it should be like how Malgus kills the guards at the gate of the Jedi Temple in Deceived cinematic.

I spend a lot of time going back to earlier planets when I'm at the max level, and if a character that has defeated multiple prominent enemies

like Malgus, Thanaton, or the freaking Emperor,

struggles to kill lowly soldiers/monsters, its just not that appealing.

Edited by ZamazingoZamazin

Level Scaling should be optional, otherwise it would kill RP immersion... At the end of the class story, everyone gets some unique and powerful position in the galaxy...

When these people fight normal soldiers, it should be like how Malgus kills the guards at the gate of the Jedi Temple in Deceived cinematic.

I spend a lot of time going back to earlier planets when I'm at the max level, and if a character that has defeated multiple prominent enemies

RP is and always will be what you make of it. To counter that point I think it adds to rp because you are not a god. In the books can die to the most common of things. Now if they are taking away skills from you than this point would be good.

To put things in perspective though, you fight jedi padawans throughout the game and still by the time Corellia comes you can still get a challenge from them.

RP is and always will be what you make of it. To counter that point I think it adds to rp because you are not a god. In the books can die to the most common of things. Now if they are taking away skills from you than this point would be good.

A force-user doesn't have to be a god to stomp normal soldiers *under normal/expected circumstances*. That is what I expect from an immersive experience. People who bested some of the most ****** foes in the galaxy struggling with a recruit with a 3-month training *does not* add to the RP at all.

What I object to is to lose the freedom to enjoy the game as I want. I've paid a lot of money to this game, and feel so strongly about this to write my first forum post after playing so long.

Edited by ZamazingoZamazin

A force-user doesn't have to be a god to stomp normal soldiers *under normal/expected circumstances*. That is what I expect from an immersive experience. People who bested some of the most ****** foes in the galaxy struggling with a recruit with a 3-month training *does not* add to the RP at all.

What I object to is to lose the freedom to enjoy the game as I want. I've paid a lot of money to this game, and feel so strongly about this to write my first forum post after playing so long.

I hope your voice is heard...this should be optional.