The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Nico Okarr's Coat - What a disappointment

Sindariel

So, you ARE getting KOTFE for free. You're NOT paying extra money. If you were paying for your sub AND you had to shell out an additional 20-60 to play KOTFE come October, then it wouldn't be free.

But you aren't and so the expansion is free. Not 100% free since you have to be subbed TO play it, but it isn't costing you more money, so in THAT sense, it is free.

It isn't free, you know that early access you are getting as a subscriber?

Hate to burst your bubble, but you're going to be beta testing the game for BioWare, so they can fix the f**kups they've left in there for the real release date. Let alone the new server lag that'll be introduced into the game making it nigh on unplayable for everyone in that week.

We've seen it on every expansion so far, there isn't any reason to think it'll be different this time around either.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But if $15 or whatever a month is a MAJOR expense...one may want to look for better work, not have tons of kids, or whatever else they're blowing money on (if not broke) cause I spend $50 a week/week and a half for a carton of cigarettes my husband and I smoke.

Exactly....Hell I spend $50 a week on a zip of ku.....well......never mind that ;)

Point is I sub because I enjoy playing the game, not because of some free digital trinkets. Not to mention, I can't afford the several million in game credits the coat cost. Now my smugglers can wear something besides capes and the legacy BH armor sets. Re-skin or not....I'm happy :D

It isn't free, you know that early access you are getting as a subscriber?

Hate to burst your bubble, but you're going to be beta testing the game for BioWare, so they can fix the f**kups they've left in there for the real release date. Let alone the new server lag that'll be introduced into the game making it nigh on unplayable for everyone in that week.

We've seen it on every expansion so far, there isn't any reason to think it'll be different this time around either.

That's rationalizing. It's free. If you subscribe to a movie club and they decide to send you a few extra movies on top of what you ordered, to show their appreciation for your continued support, you didn't pay for their extra movies. You got them free of charge as they were not part of the original monetary contract. We paid 15 dollars extra on top of our subs for rise of the hutt cartel, 20 dollars extra on top of our subs for shadow of revan and nothing extra for kotfe.

Lol. Even those who try to argue that we are getting free stuff understand that it is only "free" if you pay for it. I wonder if they also think that things like they get to live in their house for free as long as they pay their mortgage?

Weak sauce rationale.

Just because something that is free has restrictions/requirements to qualify for "free" does not mean it's not free. This is very common, even where housing is concerned. Free months rent with your six month lease, free points off your loan when you sign for a home loan, no interest for 90 days on a new credit card... etc. etc. etc. OR.. buy two, get one free OR... subscribe by such and such a dart and receive XYZ for free. In common commercial parlance... free means not having to pay extra (on top of anything you are already paying) to receive. Incentives most often have "incentive strings" attached. Learn it.

Some people just want to play the endless "it's not free when I have to subscribe" card so that they have a minimal rationale to attempt to complain about something given to them as an incentive. It is a needed card... in order to create a pretense complain about a free item that they somehow do not like....by declaring it not-free, and hence given a platform to demand and complain. Lame, immature, lazy style of complaining IMO.

Edited by Andryah

In-game bonuses for paying your subscription fee like you would normally do, does indeed make the free bonus items and expansion free because you arn't being required to pay anything extra on top of your subscription for them.

End of discussion.

Oh and the Duster looks the same from what I can tell, the arms are covering the chest.

Edited by Reno_Tarshil

Seriously Free means no purchase necessary.

These items are granted along with the CC coins and subscriber perks when you purchase subscription.

Should you not purchase subscription you don't get them. If I purchased a subscription with a stolen credit card and as such my subscription was invalidated I wouldn't get them. Therefore they are part of the subscription package and not free to everyone.

Take for example the buy 2 get one free offer. Should i go into a store purchase 3 of the item and then ask to return the two I had purchased for full credit but keep the 3rd I would be laughed at as a retard. And rightfully so nobody would think I would get to keep the 3rd item and return the two I had paid for getting full credit and the item. Honestly if I could find a shop that dumb I would clear shelves till the only two items they had were the ones Id just returned.

Same goes for this its an extra perk of subscribing along with the current subscriber perks its not separate from the subscription. Next people will say well the option to run ops is free if you subscribe or the CC are free if you subscribe. They are not they are part of the subscription deal and in this case of the duster, guns, companion and speeder the only content that has been added to the subscription package since February. There have been no new ops. gsf, flash points or PvP to make the subscription options anything more than rerunning very old content. And they knew it and that is why the bribes were offered.

Even the people at Bioware knew that they would lose subs unless they added something to the package over the summer drought, only turns out what they offered was mostly hype and very little substance. Which rightfully has people disappointed in what has been on offer for subscribers for the last 7 months.

In-game bonuses for paying your subscription fee like you would normally do, does indeed make the free bonus items and expansion free because you arn't being required to pay anything extra on top of your subscription for them.

End of discussion.

Free means, in this context "not costing any money." So unless you have that elusive $0/month subscription plan, none of these sub perks are free.

The real end of the discussion.

Free means, in this context "not costing any money." So unless you have that elusive $0/month subscription plan, none of these sub perks are free.

The real end of the discussion.

That context doesn't apply since this the free things in question are bonus perks of being a subscriber like you normally are at no extra charge. So they are indeed free.

That context doesn't apply since this the free things in question are bonus perks of being a subscriber like you normally are at no extra charge. So they are indeed free.

That is the only context that matters, since we are talking about a service we pay money for. To get those things, you have to pay. If you have to pay, they are not free. Free would be "Every player, F2P, Preferred, subscriber, here is a thing we give to you all." "Free" means "at no cost," not "at no additional cost."

Nothing has been offered for free, these things are bonuses for PAYING subs, the free argument is a misnomer at best and just irrational.

It's a bonus- you said it yourself.

That is the only context that matters, since we are talking about a service we pay money for. To get those things, you have to pay. If you have to pay, they are not free. Free would be "Every player, F2P, Preferred, subscriber, here is a thing we give to you all." "Free" means "at no cost," not "at no additional cost."

You're missing the obvious point.

Every subscriber pays an access fee every month so they can play the game as a subscriber. As a reward bonus for being a subscriber during a time period they are granting you free things for being a subscriber as normal. You are not being required to pay anything extra to qualify for those free things.

That's why they are free and why your context doesn't apply to this.

Nothing has been offered for free, these things are bonuses for PAYING subs, the free argument is a misnomer at best and just irrational.

It's a bonus- you said it yourself.

Odd I don't remember having to pay anything extra for nico or his blasters or his duster... So it must be free to me for being a subscriber.

I don't know why people find this so hard to understand.

I don't know why people find this so hard to understand.

Because you're making up your own definitions instead of going with what's already established.

Nico walking up to you on the street and unconditionally giving you a Troublemaker Duster reskin. That's free.

Paying for a service and getting something at no additional cost isn't free.

Edited by Joesixxpack

Because you're making up your own definitions instead of going with what's already established.

Nico walking up to you on the street and unconditionally giving you a Troublemaker Duster reskin. That's free.

Paying for a service and getting something at no additional cost isn't free.

It's a free one time bonus perk for supporting the game like you normally would. It's free, not hard to understand.

It's a free one time bonus perk for supporting the game like you normally would. It's free, not hard to understand.

> Free

> Bonus perk

Pick one and only one. Or go on a global campaign to rewrite laws, change case law, and so forth. After you're successful you can be absolutely right.

> Free

> Bonus perk

Pick one and only one. Or go on a global campaign to rewrite laws, change case law, and so forth. After you're successful you can be absolutely right.

Buy 1, Get 1 free. By purchasing an item, you are getting a free item at no extra charge. By paying a sub you are getting free rewards at no additional charge.

That's why the rewards and expansion are free to subscribers just for being a subscriber.

Buy 1, Get 1 free. By purchasing an item, you are getting a free item at no extra charge. By paying a sub you are getting free rewards at no additional charge.

That's why the rewards and expansion are free to subscribers just for being a subscriber.

Buy one get one is 2 items at half price each, you are really trying very hard to prove your lack of critical thinking skills here.

Can you link a dev post or add for KotFE where the word free is used? nope can't, cuz nothing free was offered...

Edited by Monumenta

You're missing the obvious point.

Every subscriber pays an access fee every month so they can play the game as a subscriber. As a reward bonus for being a subscriber during a time period they are granting you free things for being a subscriber as normal. You are not being required to pay anything extra to qualify for those free things.

That's why they are free and why your context doesn't apply to this.

When you were a kid, you probably got those "free" prizes in the box of cereal, or the "free" toy with your fast food kids' meal. But what you come to understand as you grow up and start paying for things yourself is that none of those items were ever truly free, as their cost was factored into what you paid for the product they came with. They were included as an enticement to get people to buy the more expensive brand or product instead of cheaper alternatives which did not include such offers. It's a marketing gimmick, plain and simple. But make no mistake, you do most definitely pay for those items, and they are not free.

The exact same thing is true of these digital bonus items being given away to subscribers. Nico, his blasters, his coat, etc., are all being given away "free with subscription" as an enticement to get players to subscribe instead of playing free or preferred. But there is a development cost and paid man hours to develop those items (although the quality of the items indicates that BW is trying to keep such costs at the barest minimum), and BW has to pay those costs somehow. Make no mistake that those costs are factored into your subscription, and you have paid for them.

Your subscription gets you monthly access to the game. That access includes regular maintenance and fixes of the game and its content, as well as events and other updates used to keep customers paying and playing. The KotFE bonus items, and the expansion itself, are all part of that subscription payment. BW uses a portion of each subscription to fund continued development of the game (such is the nature of MMOs, or any ongoing service), and the expense for each of these comes from that allocated budget. There is an opportunity cost involved, so you could also consider that you have paid for these items in terms of giving up whatever else would have been done with that development money in order to receive them. But however you look at it, when the items are being given as part of paid service or product, they are not in any way "free", and to believe such is ignorance.

As my high school physics teacher was fond of saying, "there is no free lunch in the universe." The cost for everything has to come from somewhere, and the cost for these items is coming directly from the subscribers who receive them.

Buy one get one is 2 items at half price each, you are really trying very hard to prove your lack of critical thinking skills here.

Can you link a dev post or add for KotFE where the word free is used? nope can't, cuz nothing free was offered...

False you are buying 1 item and being given another item for free for purchasing said item. Just like Bioware is giving subscribers free things for being subscribers. Please try to keep up with your lack of understanding.

Also:

http://www.swtor.com/fallen-empire

"THE ADVENTURE BEGINS ON OCTOBER 27th, FREE FOR ALL SUBSCRIBERS!

PREPARE TO FACE YOUR DESTINY."

You were saying?

Your late night info-mercial based opinions are certainly unassailable.