full server, yet feels empty

DigitalDigital

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dude seriously! queues to get into the forums, queues getting into the game, 30-80 people on average in area you are in inside the game. instances....

WHERE IS the $ going? why does bioware or ea or who ever the heck is buying the servers not have equipment that can handle these loads??

I mean I never played wow but take a tip from FFXI, I had never waited once to get into that game and there was on average 2k people playing together, 100's in the same zone, not 30!

this is so DISAPOINTING! this is NOT MASSIVE it's CHEAP!

I agree it feels that way especially on higher level planets. BioWare needs to remember people want to see massive amounts of people even if they don't interact with them directly.

You also have to remember there are two factions, and I am guessing you will notice it more on the Republic side due to a smaller population.

Easy...they made the planets too damn big. These monster zones the size of WoW continents sounded amazing pre-launch, and the words do look amazing, but the size just doesn't work in an MMO setting. They don't even do sharding anymore (that I've seen) and the zones still feel completely empty because of how large the planets are.

Huh? Planets the size of Kalimdor or Eastern Kingdoms? Lay down the crack pipe man.

Most planets aren't even the size of Wetlands.

Lol? what? 1k cap are you playing on a private server or something? most MMO's have a 10k - 20k cap.

And if you read properly you can see in one of the OP and many other post we've stated that in most planets there is only 1 instance.

Do you even know what you're talking about or are you just spouting off incorrect numbers?

Yea a heavy server in WoW can have 10-30k people on it but there is barely ever more people logged in than what are currently on a server in this game.

I promise there are not 30k people online on Mal'Ganis. The queue would be about 27k people long. It just feels like there are tons of people online because they are all sitting in Orgrimmar doing nothing.

Do you even know what you're talking about or are you just spouting off incorrect numbers?

Yea a heavy server in WoW can have 10-30k people on it but there is barely ever more people logged in than what are currently on a server in this game.

I promise there are not 30k people online on Mal'Ganis. The queue would be about 27k people long. It just feels like there are tons of people online because they are all sitting in Orgrimmar doing nothing.

Agreed.

Go to any WoW zone including high level zones, you will find no one. The thing is not everyone is logged into the game at the same time.

However, instancing in this game needs to be removed. It will help the game a lot.

I don't know about anybody else, but I prefer to be out there questing then standing around in a city for no reason. And the only reason to stand around in a city/fleet is

1- LFG Spamming

2- Put stuff into cargo hold

3- Auction Kiosk

4- buy crafting material from companion skills trader

5- Train new abilities

6- Complete a few quests

7- Check Mail

8- buy gear from vendors

If you notice that only number 1 can make someone stick around in a city for a long time, other then that I spend less then 10 minutes in a city/fleet before I am out questing again.

Exactly, I have no desire to waste my time standing around and socializing in a city, when I could be socializing while questing. I didn't pay $150 to stand in one place, and the fleet is absolutely the LAST place I want to spend an extended period of time. I do wish I saw more people, however competing for quest objectives hasn't been fun when it's happenned so perhaps it's for the best until I get around to more group content.

Exactly, I have no desire to waste my time standing around and socializing in a city, when I could be socializing while questing. I didn't pay $150 to stand in one place, and the fleet is absolutely the LAST place I want to spend an extended period of time. I do wish I saw more people, however competing for quest objectives hasn't been fun when it's happenned so perhaps it's for the best until I get around to more group content.

that's fine but why oh why are spaceports SO HUGE if it's never going to have people in them? I mean I am running through GIANT empty buildings, the game feels deserted, period.

Very interesting.

I beleive there is an undeniable truth here. Both guys who said were lvl 50 feel like there is noone while people who are questing admit they find tons of people.

Well i gotta tell you there is a simple explanation. In wow most people dont do quests they just grind or craft or stay in cities cause of the ah or arenas or bgs.

Those things in tor are not necesarily in cities i.e crew skills. GTM or warzones (accesable from anywhrre) so most people dont crowd themselves in citiea cause everything is not centered there.

Plus at this stage people dont hang around,they do quest all day in diff instanced planets. In WoW noone do quest anymore they just grind and thats exhausting so they hang around in cities to relax wich doesnt happen in swtor.

Tl;dr quests in swtor are amazing people do not hang in cities they just do quests all day all over the planets. In wow quest suck so people stay in cities.

Wrote this on a samsung galaxy s1.

Lol? what? 1k cap are you playing on a private server or something? most MMO's have a 10k - 20k cap.

And if you read properly you can see in one of the OP and many other post we've stated that in most planets there is only 1 instance.

This is not true. Modern day MMOGs have between 2000-3000 people maximum on a server. They may have 10000-15000 characters/players on a server, but peak usage is no more than a couple of thousand. Only a single world game like Eve has those kinds of single server cap numbers.

The person who said most servers are capped at 1k are equally as wrong, though.

This is exactly how I feel playing on my server Hex Droid, which is apparently Full/Heavy all the time and today there was even a 40min (!) queue. 24lvl at the moment on the republic side and during questing in Taris for the whole day I've seen maybe 10 players around me.

Maps are too damn big and instancing is a horrible idea. BioWare, DO SOMETHING. This is MMO, not a single-player game with multiplayer option. :mad:

This is quoted from George Zoeller himself

“Launch is a pretty unique situation in many regards. It creates loads on part of the game (the Origin Worlds) that are never seen again after that point.

There are several ways to handle this:

A) Phase (or instance) these areas to handle the temporarily highly inflated load.

B) Design the areas as if they were always under full load. That would lead to large, empty areas after the initial rush in which the normal player population gets lost. You create a large desert – fine if the planet is called Tatooine, but generally large areas with duplicated content suck in MMOs.

C) Put out tons of additional servers for a few days to handle the temporarily inflated load, then consolidate them later. Players generally don’t like that, as it destroys communities.

D) Put up long, multi-hour queues. Players hate that and you really don’t want to be exposed to:

‘My lord, permission to land on Korriban has been denied. They say the planet is full and that the Sith Environmental Protection Council has decided to protect the native population of K’lor’ slugs from being overharvested by denying entry to new visitors.’

E) Don’t do anything, after all it’s temporary and tell players to ‘deal with it’. This leads to people ‘waiting for respawns’.

We opted to go with (A) since it’s a native, well tested feature of our game engine (we work in different phases/instances on our development servers), it can be activated on the fly and deactivated as population levels normalize and since it has the least impact on players.

We definitely plan to minimize the use of this mechanic, but as with our decision to limit the launch supply of the game to a manageable number of players, we are making these choices in order to guarantee satisfaction for the paying customers that will flood our service at launch day.”

im missing the crowd.

really.

i would prefer lags and "100 people need to kill the same mob" instead of this empty world.

BW should load the worlds with players already, but me fears, the instamcing is too easy and made the administrators feel save so they will never allow more then 100 players in an instance.

this is one of the really serious reasons, why i could leave swtor on the next major mmorpg launch, tsw comes in mind ^^

im missing the crowd.

really.

i would prefer lags and "100 people need to kill the same mob" instead of this empty world.

BW should load the worlds with players already, but me fears, the instamcing is too easy and made the administrators feel save so they will never allow more then 100 players in an instance.

this is one of the really serious reasons, why i could leave swtor on the next major mmorpg launch, tsw comes in mind ^^

And it is people like you we wont to weed out, that are "MMo Hoppers" Like guild hoppers you have no sense of loyalty and patience. Bioware has never let me down before they wont this time just patience

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.