Another has fallen to the Darkside!

Zerileth

I'm in my stronghold today trying to craft a new ship part for a friend. The part requires a rather rare item. So off to the GTN I go! Buying items is easy! I've been doing it for 2 years and consider myself an expert now.

I locate the item, hit the price tab up top for the lowest amount and click the button to purchase the item followed by the click of the confirmation button afterward. I've done this so many times, and this time I found a deal! This item usually averages around 25k in credits and I just got it for 3,333 credits! WOW! That player's generous!

A quick glance down at my credit balance to see a minus 3.3 million credits.... Wait, what? 3.3 MILLION CREDITS! I glance at the mail icon hoping nothing will be there. Nope, there's a "1." Okay, okay, my heart just skipped a beat, as certainly this is one of those cases where somebody just bought it right before me and my 3.3 million credits will be on that mail. I move my character slowly to the mailbox and open the mail to find.... the item!

Okay, think fast! First, find the person's name that posted that item and email them quick! Don't be mean, just tell them they did great in their immoral post and pray they made a mistake and will send you your credits back! Yeah, good luck with that! Okay, send a ticket to Bioware. Surely they'll understand I screwed up and fix this somehow! I'M A SUBSCRIBER!!!!! Yeah, good luck with that too!

So in my new state of bewilderment; I can feel my anger growing. I'm not a high level PVP'er making 3 million every 5 minutes (yes i know that's an exaggeration as I'm making a point here). It took me a few weeks to make that 3 million to lose it all in one click. So I start thinking; my anger surging. There's no rules against it. Maybe all these months playing the lightsided jedi has been a waste ( I'm no longer talking gaming here). I have several packs, items and dyes waiting to sell to the right player for a good price.... Perhaps it's time to go fishing. To go fishing for that one poor sap that clicks on my deceivingly high purchase price! How many victims, er buyers do you need a month, 1 or 2? To open my email one evening and see 5 million credits! Wow! And then followed by another email begging me to send the money back. That it was every penny they have saved and that they feel sick and want to cancel their subscription! COULD THIS REALLY BE HAPPENING IN A VIDEO GAME? A smile, a horrible smile begins to grow across my face. Yes, their email will be met with the cold response of "ignore." That coldness that only the darkest shadows can generate.

Alas, perhaps another day will help subside the hate and anger! Hopefully tomorrow the honorable jedi will emerge and consider the 3 million credit loss a simple challenge to help others and earn the funds back again! Yet sadly, I think I'm leaning the other way. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED. Another filthy predator may be waiting for your credits and your mis-clicks on the GTN tomorrow.

It doesn't matter. I'll be all around in the dark – I'll be everywhere. Wherever you can look -- wherever there's a ninja stealing your class armor in a flashpoint, I'll be there. Wherever there's a player sneaking open your chest as you battle the elite mob, I'll be there. I'll be in the way Mako stops healing you sometimes, or your UI glitches out, or you lose credits on the GTN because you were trying to help the less fortunate player, I'll be there, too.

Oh look, my nose is bleeding....

I really don't understand why people like you fall for this every single time. The GTN has a lower and upper limit, it really is about time people used it, instead of blaming those dirty little runts out there who set things at crazy prices.

If you are on TRE, I can give you 3m credits. Sent me a private message if you are

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course, I agree things could be improved, just like many things in the game, but people always say things need "fixing" when they aren't even broken. The current GTN isn't broken at all, it works fine, it's the people that "break" it on their own and then blame everyone and everything but themselves.

There are many safeguards in place that, even this OP, says they just speed-clicked through, so why have another 1, 2, 3, or more layers of protection to annoy the greater population when it's always just a few people who will just end up doing the same thing?

It's all about accepting personal responsibility, whether it's a GTN purchase or buy Cartel packs and complaining that the RNG is broken cuz you didn't get exactly what you wanted even though you knew going in you might not get it and then coming here to make a freak-out thread about what an awful game this is and what horrible developers it has.

At what point do we stop trying to bubble-wrap everyone to protect them from themselves? Enough is enough, people need to fall down and pick themselves up and learn from it, or else we'll all just end up in WALL-E.

Sure, I'm all for people having to take personal responsibility and think about things they're doing, but when a simple change an intern could do in his lunch break could make everyone's experience better what's the problem with that?

As a developer I'm always looking for ways to improve my user's experience with the products I create. I could tell them to go eat a spoonful of cement and harden the **** up, but isn't delighting them with an improved experience a thing I should strive for?

Sadly this is not the case. It was one item. 99 items would have been awesome as I could just sell back what i didn't need. No, I clicked too fast and didn't bother to look closely at the amount. It was something like, 3,333,333... and I saw: 3,333.33. Of course it went to the very top (bottom) of the list, so i thought it was the cheapest!

Lets recap:

You mis-clicked on the sort price item but didn't bother to check what you were doing

then you clicked buy at the item listed at the top but didn't bother to read the listed price properly

then you clicked confirm on the purchase confirmation popup but didn't bother to check the final amount you would be paying, that was clearly listed on the popup

and you still have the gall to whine as if you are not the one at fault?

Honestly people like you are the reason we have those god-awful purchase confirmation popups for buying anything and everything nowadays, that is just annoying to hell for people doing repeat purchases!

You can continue to call the seller leeches and feel morally superior all you want, but it wont change the fact that it is your callousness that led to your own predicament

Sure, I'm all for people having to take personal responsibility and think about things they're doing, but when a simple change an intern could do in his lunch break could make everyone's experience better what's the problem with that?

As a developer I'm always looking for ways to improve my user's experience with the products I create. I could tell them to go eat a spoonful of cement and harden the **** up, but isn't delighting them with an improved experience a thing I should strive for?

Except when the "improved experience" for people like the OP results in a negative experience for others - case in point: the repeated annoying confirmation popups everytime you buy something on the GTN, rip out a mod, etc.

Its a simple LEARN TO READ issue. 3,333,333 =/= 3,333.33 in any universe that i know of. The currency is always listed to 2 decimal points consistently.

So much BS and griefing that could be solved by improving the display of values in the GTN window.

Fixed the number of decimal points and right-align any column with numbers in. Job done. Cut the number of complaints and tickets by half overnight.

It's not rocket surgery...

Except that the currency is always listed to 2 decimal places as it is. In addition, in english decimals are represented by a fullstop (aka period) " . " while every hundredth is separated by a comma ", "

If the OP had (by his own admission above) bothered to check that he had sorted by most expensive first or had bothered to actually read the price (again by his own admission above), his predicament would not have happened.

Always click twice (the sort by unit price tab) and buy once.

A modification of a woodworking lesson: measure twice and cut once.

[Knocks on wood] The only mistake I've made is buying a stack of 99 when I only needed like 5. Probably sold the rest back at profit though.

I like the OP's mentality if you can't beat 'em, join em! Now I'm curious to see how much I could make by using a creative pricing strategy...

Yeah, because playing with a bunch of cheating scum beats playing with honest players right? Come on Papa...don't be like that.

Don't stoop to his level...be the bigger person. Report it. PM Eric and Tait here on the forums, call customer service...I'd rather have ONE good player like the OP than 10000 d-bags trying to scam someone else.

Decimals have no place on the GTN...NONE!

Except that the currency is always listed to 2 decimal places as it is.

Except not in this game. Currency is NEVER listed with 2 decimals IN GAME. EVER. The ONLY place a decimal exists in-game, is on the GTN as a unit price modifier. Fractional "credits" don't even exist in this game...they are only a display modifier on a GTN sort column.

And what happens when you get the 3-million-credit item for 300,000? That's right: you openly mock the "some idiot seller" in general chat and how awesome you are for snagging that great bargain.

Maybe some people do, but I tend to feel guilty.

One day while browsing the GTN i found two pairs of the Covert Energy armor boots for 5 credits each (they were selling for 700k+ aside from those two pairs), and of course I bought and resold them, but I felt guilty because I just KNOW that the seller listed them at that price accidentally (obviously not guilty enough to NOT buy them, figure someone else would have if I hadn't, but guilty nonetheless).

Edited by OathboundCoH

I feel for you OP, so I'm going to help you out. I just so happen to have a line on some prime real estate property in

Ziost

Nice neighborhood, no noisy neighbors, no grass to mow and absolutely no HOA rules or fees!

The normal listing price for this property is valued in excess of 33,333.33, but owner is eager to sell so I've been authorized to offer the incredibly low price on 3,333,333. Act now, don't pass up this incredible deal!

replying to this thread will constitute acceptance of deal, Payment will be expected within 24 hours

Ok whoa, whoa whoa! Hang on everybody! Where am I whining? Did you guys read my post? I said I screwed up! I explained why!!!! I was trying to make a "funny" about going to the darkside! Again, read the WHOLE post! I threw in some Grapes of Wrath too, but that also would require reading! ( sorry condescending again)

If I sound condescending, I'm was just trying to explain my position. For crying out loud I'm a FINANCE MAJOR!!! I know the difference between decimals and commas! Read the post! I was going fast, trying to make an item and I explained how I THOUGHT i was an expert at the GTN! I'm human. I screwed up!

Are you all so perfect you never make mistakes?!?!? You've never applied the wrong armor mod? Your rotation is perfect? Seriously!

Yes I'm calling people that try to dupe others out of the their credits leaches. Sorry if that offends you! MY OPINION!

No, I don't need help or anybody's credits. I'll do just fine! Already made back half of the money already. I was being silly with my story. Light turning to dark! This is Star Wars right? Hello? I even used 4 "...." in the post. Elipses, or whatever.

Sorry... but you guys just go right for the throat!

Edited by Zerileth

I feel for you OP, so I'm going to help you out. I just so happen to have a line on some prime real estate property in

Ziost

Nice neighborhood, no noisy neighbors, no grass to mow and absolutely no HOA rules or fees!

The normal listing price for this property is valued in excess of 33,333.33, but owner is eager to sell so I've been authorized to offer the incredibly low price on 3,333,333. Act now, don't pass up this incredible deal!

replying to this thread will constitute acceptance of deal, Payment will be expected within 24 hours

See, this is funny. This is apropos to my situation! Well done! And I hate you now! :p And the number 3. And I would buy the house but I don't have any money left.

Edited by Zerileth

Yeah, because playing with a bunch of cheating scum beats playing with honest players right? Come on Papa...don't be like that.

Don't stoop to his level...be the bigger person. Report it. PM Eric and Tait here on the forums, call customer service...I'd rather have ONE good player like the OP than 10000 d-bags trying to scam someone else.

Decimals have no place on the GTN...NONE!

HE WAS BEING FUNNY! Loosen up,,,

Edited by Zerileth

I also thank anybody who is telling me to be more careful, but there's no greater lesson than the one I just learned on my own. :mad:

You'll only ever make the mistake once.

I've yet to make it, but then I tend to send most of my credits to the one character that I don't use to buy things off the GTN, weekly. That way, the arse that deliberately goes fishing for these sales doesn't get my credits.

As a side note, referencing Eric's quoted post - I'm sorry Eric, but you can definitely tell the deliberate baiting on the GTN :rolleyes:

Edited by Transcendent

I remember putting a Tulak Horde helmet on the GTN for <10 credits once (forgot to add an amount). Of course someond bought it instantly. I cried for a week. I think people at work thought my dog died or something.

I remember putting a Tulak Horde helmet on the GTN for <10 credits once (forgot to add an amount). Of course someond bought it instantly. I cried for a week. I think people at work thought my dog died or something.

You missed quite a few zeros... 100k or 1 million I can understand, but 10 credits or so? :confused:

There's a guy on my server with a toon called "sort'the'other'way" or something like that, and he posts all kinds of stuff for like a billion credits (so no one could possibly buy them) and warn people away. It's cool that he does that, but short of white knights for every item, I can't see this problem ever going away. Caveat emptor.

There's a guy on my server with a toon called "sort'the'other'way" or something like that, and he posts all kinds of stuff for like a billion credits (so no one could possibly buy them) and warn people away. It's cool that he does that, but short of white knights for every item, I can't see this problem ever going away. Caveat emptor.

lol are you on jung ma ..iv noticed this guy as well

Edited by NUTMANIAC

Sadly this is not the case. It was one item. 99 items would have been awesome as I could just sell back what i didn't need. No, I clicked too fast and didn't bother to look closely at the amount. It was something like, 3,333,333... and I saw: 3,333.33. Of course it went to the very top (bottom) of the list, so i thought it was the cheapest!

I also thank anybody who is telling me to be more careful, but there's no greater lesson than the one I just learned on my own. :mad:

:) I'm already in the process of making it all back. And i have a black/black dye as back up! :p

I can understand making that mistake on a stack of items. It's careless, but understandable. But to make that mistake on a sale that you know is a single item is quite a bit more than just carelessness.

Edited by Orizuru

HE WAS BEING FUNNY! Loosen up,,, "Stay on target, loosen up!!! <---- Star wars quote. Do you guys even know we're playing a SW game?

Except the guy I quoted didn't say that...at all...?! I know Papa's a good guy...I wasn't trying to suggest he isn't, I actually enjoy his posts and perspective quite a bit.

As for your post, I enjoyed it quite a bit...I still feel bad for you...I hate that people prey on others like that, but I like how you handled the situation...if I could, I'd offer to run dailies with you to help refund your loss...you seem like a good guy.

Edited by TUXs

I can understand making that mistake on a stack of items. It's careless, but understandable. But to make that mistake on a sale that you know is a single item is quite a bit more than just carelessness.

Hello. I actually explained why this happened. Please go back and re-read the original post. I was moving fast to get a part crafted. Also, if "it's quite a a bit more than just carelessness," could you elaborate to what you're implying here? Maybe provide some examples?

Thanks.

Hello. I actually explained why this happened. Please go back and re-read the original post. I was moving fast to get a part crafted. Also, if "it's quite a a bit more than just carelessness," could you elaborate to what you're implying here? Maybe provide some examples?

Thanks.

I was trying to avoid being blunt, but since you asked... I think it was quite dumb. There are no fractions of a credit, so a single item listing will never have a decimal. This falls squarely into the realm of "stupid mistake".

Really, I wish they'd gone and gotten rid of decimals on GTN already.

My condolences for your loss. If you don't know, this week is a conquest event that requires a huge amount of mats. So if you have Scavenging, Bio or Archeology, keep running Grade 2 and Grade 3 missions as you go along your business, and sell the mats till next Monday. You'll get your 3 mil back.

I was trying to avoid being blunt, but since you asked... I think it was quite dumb. There are no fractions of a credit, so a single item listing will never have a decimal. This falls squarely into the realm of "stupid mistake".

With all due respect. I was going fast. I needed the item fast. You are right that no single item would have a decimal. But, in my mind, it that quick instance I saw 3,333.33 because it was at the top of the list and I was in a hurry and was being overconfident in my GTN skills. I didn't care if there were 2, or 3 of them for that price I would gladly get it. Remember top of list can be the lowest item too.

Edited by Zerileth

Really, I wish they'd gone and gotten rid of decimals on GTN already.

My condolences for your loss. If you don't know, this week is a conquest event that requires a huge amount of mats. So if you have Scavenging, Bio or Archeology, keep running Grade 2 and Grade 3 missions as you go along your business, and sell the mats till next Monday. You'll get your 3 mil back.

Good to know. Thanks. I'm up to 2 million. I rallied all my alts and got to work sell'in and questing! I'm feeling better. I will stay in the light.