Is SW:TOR canon?

Kahdi-Jia

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard mixed answers lately about SWTOR being canon. I know that Disney at one point posted it under legends, but I was not sure if it still was. Thanks in advance for some answers!

does it matter?

To what is happening in the Disney Canon, no it is not.

That does not mean they can't one day use something from here. Aka Ilum the planet is canon now AFTER TCW used some ideas from TOR (special features is proof)

Bane became canon and Revan almost became canon.

However, people forget that SWTOR has its own canon which is cool in its own right. I love how the game has its own story and stuff.

To what is happening in the Disney Canon, no it is not.

That does not mean they can't one day use something from here. Aka Ilum the planet is canon now AFTER TCW used some ideas from TOR (special features is proof)

Bane became canon and Revan almost became canon.

Bane wasn't created by Karpyshyn and Ilum ALREADY existed before being featured in this game.

However, people forget that SWTOR has its own canon which is cool in its own right. I love how the game has its own story and stuff.

SWTOR having its own story and being part of the overall canon are NOT one and the same. Not that the latter matters, as DOHboy pointed out already.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

It's canon in-game.

It's not uber-canon.

How it fits with the Legends canon... seems to work fine.

But those are distinctions i make for myself, so they don't count.

I think Disney stuffed it in the Legends closet with most anything else that was non-movie, non-Clone Wars, and i believe some new material to bridge the gap between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens is/will also be canon.

Bane wasn't created by Karpyshyn and Ilum ALREADY existed before being featured in this game.

SWTOR having its own story and being part of the overall canon are NOT one and the same. Not that the latter matters, as DOHboy pointed out already.

You are absolutely correct.

Perhaps after rereading my post I wasn't clear or maybe I hoped someone would understand :rak_03:

The concept for making Ilum in TCW was taken directly from SWTOR. The lore existed before SWTOR, but during development of TCW they referenced SWTOR for its creation.

I was using Bane as an example of turning Legends into Lore, thought I think Bane was in before Disney called his backstory legends...not sure though

To what you said about SWTOR having its own story and not being part of overall canon is correct. I was just stating that I enjoy the SWTOR lore that has been created. Being part of the greater continuity, I'm indifferent about as I hope most are :tran_angel:

Yeah I never got the uproar about stuff turning into legends. Its all fiction anyways. I don't see the point of calling someone's fiction, fiction when compared to another work of fiction, but then there is a chance that the fiction could become part of the fiction's facts. :rak_03:

Yeah I never got the uproar about stuff turning into legends. Its all fiction anyways. I don't see the point of calling someone's fiction, fiction when compared to another work of fiction, but then there is a chance that the fiction could become part of the fiction's facts. :rak_03:

Only issue I have is that, by NOT being canon, we won't be having any more novels or comic books set in this time period. A shame really, since I could use a few more of those.

It would still be nice to feel like it's more connected to the original SW. For example the JC could read about the Chosen One or anythingy

The Chosen One prophecy probably doesn't come into play for a few thousand years yet. (Unless the Force is one impatient git! :p)

"Frozen - Let it go" is canon. Just because you buy up something doesn't mean you can change the whole back story because you wanted to. The Old Republic era and EU is and should be canon in my opinion. This is the only thing I really hate with Disney right now.

Not that I give a rip about Canon. Because I don't. The 100 plus Star Wars books I own and have read didn't just disappear off my shelve and from my memory when Disney woke up one day and decided to "decanonize" them. They exist, that's all I care about.

But, Kylo Ren's outfit is obviously influenced by Revan...

Edited by DarthVengeant

Nope, part of Legends, which is a good thing cause a lot of this wouldn't make sense without the KOTOR backstory

TCW and Rebels was/are constantly making back references to EU material.

SWTOR has a LSG credit, it can easily be grandfathered into the canon just as TCW was. The reason it was listed as not canon is because LSG simply doesn't want to deal with stuff 3k years before the prequels when they have much bigger fish to fry.

Edited by Zoom_VI

I already see it happening.

SWTOR is a cool era so SOMETHING will become canon one day.

However, this is what will probably happen...

Revan appears in a holocron or something and say 3 lines not related to anything about SWTOR.

Next day, SWTOR forums explode with "We are canon now!"

:ph_danger:

Strictly speaking, TOR is Legends-level Canon.

Legends-level Canon is below Disney Canon, so Disney Canon can do something which would directly contradict established Legends lore (Episode VII comes to mind). Disney Canon can use or ignore from Legends at its leisure.

Legens-level Canon can do whatever it wants, so long as it does not contradict Disney Canon. TOR is lucky in this regard, in that Disney has seemingly decided to make all the new Star Wars movies post-ROTJ, while TOR is more than 3600 years before that so it has a lot of wiggle room. It's entirely possible that new movies will reference ancient history (just like we can today), which is why, when Bioware announced KOTFE, they specifically said they had JJ Abrams read over the entire script, and he gave it his blessing as not contradicting anything he had planned.

In general, all games to the Star Wars Franchise are not canon. In general, there might be a few exceptions.

I personally consider the books to be canon until Official Canon stuff says otherwise, by directly saying otherwise (Boba Fett's old origin stories come to mind here as they have been mostly ret-conned into stories he lets people keep telling or they were entirely made up so he get out of the BH business for a while).

That's how the books and comics have always been, Canon until official stuff says otherwise.

But the games themselves have generally been on the lower tier and generally treated as non-canon until official stuff says otherwise. Or a book (The Force Unleashed comes to mind here) is made bringing it up to the general Books tier, but still easily turned into non-canon.

To;DR: Assume the games are not Canon. The Era as and era that existed in general likely is (backstory had to exist from somewhere), but assume games are not Canon until the official Canon stuff says otherwise.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.