Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Huge FPS drops On A High End Computer

BellsofGuilt

Or in the case of money not being an issue buy a CPU that does 4.5 stock which was the point I've been trying to point across but people seem to read as "misinformation" or as "you must use this" - no excusing poor comprehension for some people.

There is no Intel CPU that is 4.5GHz stock and AMD's CPU's are vastly inferior.

So... what is your point again?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only high end is your gpu...

I am using a 4790K and have no such problems, this game is a CPU hog, not so much a GPU strainer.

Upgrade the cpu.

There is no difference btween a 2700k, 2600k and the other CPU's. I use a 2600k and I get stable FPS with a 780 GTX. Its something not configured right with the game.

Let me save you some time. Even a super computer would struggle with these planets.

All these expansions are too rough for a HERO engine. BW will never admit that

The planets are fine. The only issue this game has is with PvP and 16 man raids.

My 4790K is 4.4 stock without OC.

Sorry you're right, 4.4 not 4.5. Close enough. ;)

There is no Intel CPU that is 4.5GHz stock and AMD's CPU's are vastly inferior.

So... what is your point again?

The above slight correction aside buying a new CPU is easier than over clocking which you previously stated in the "easiest" way to get more performance out of this game? It's the cheapest way to get more performance, not the easiest.

Edited by MeNaCe-NZ

Sorry you're right, 4.4 not 4.5. Close enough. ;)

The above slight correction aside buying a new CPU is easier than over clocking which you previously stated in the "easiest" way to get more performance out of this game? It's the cheapest way to get more performance, not the easiest.

No, turbo boost is 4.4 GHz when only a single core is loaded. When multiple cores are loaded, max is 4.2 GHz and it won't nessecarily run at max turbo boost 24/7 either.

And yes, overclocking is easier than buying a new CPU... In the span of 15-30 minutes I can have a safe, reliable OC with a decent cooler from the comfort of my desk. How is getting a new CPU easier than that?

The worst FPS drops I get are on Rishi, the lowest value being 23 FPS in the slums. Every planet that has expansive terrain, such as Balmorra or Alderaan, I also get large FPS drops. I play with every graphical variable maxed on a 2560 x 1440, 32'' monitor. My question is are the FPS drops the fault of the game or my computer? Every other game I play has a 50 - 60 FPS on maxed out settings (I use vertical Sync). If it's my computer, does anyone have a suggestion of how to increase the FPS in this game?

Here are my computer's specifications:

GPU: Geforce GTX Titan X

CPU: Intel® Core i7-2700k CPU @ 3.50 GHz

Memory: 16 GB Ram

And I use the Windows 7 Operating System.

It was pretty well documented when SWTOR went live that there was a major issue with the Hero 3 engine and high end computer performance. It's been awhile since I've looked it up, but there were computers with average CPU's, GPU's, and memory out performing high end computers.

I run 2 Nvidia 980's in SLI and I definitely notice a performance change when i forget to enable SLI after updating the drivers.

No, turbo boost is 4.4 GHz when only a single core is loaded. When multiple cores are loaded, max is 4.2 GHz and it won't nessecarily run at max turbo boost 24/7 either.

That depends on your setup. Some motherboards will put all 4 cores at the Turbo Speed when XMP or Multicore Enhancement is enabled and several of these motherboards have these settings enabled by default.

Edited by MFollin

That depends on your setup. Some motherboards will put all 4 cores at the Turbo Speed when XMP or Multicore Enhancement is enabled and several of these motherboards have these settings enabled by default.

Yes, some motherboards will auto-overclock the CPU... But that still isn't stock... You're talking semantics now.

Yes, some motherboards will auto-overclock the CPU... But that still isn't stock... You're talking semantics now.

It's still a valid point and an explanation as to why you and Menace seem to be disagree on the effects of Turbo Boost.

It's still a valid point and an explanation as to why you and Menace seem to be disagree on the effects of Turbo Boost.

It's not turbo boost then, it's the motherboard overclocking the CPU. Regardless, his argument is that buying a new CPU is easier than just overclocking the one you have. I fail to see how that is "easier", especially since the 4790K is only available on 1150 systems, leaving 1155 platform users nothing... except to overclock.

It's not turbo boost then, it's the motherboard overclocking the CPU. Regardless, his argument is that buying a new CPU is easier than just overclocking the one you have. I fail to see how that is "easier", especially since the 4790K is only available on 1150 systems, leaving 1155 platform users nothing... except to overclock.

Turbo Boost in itself is overclocking the CPU so big difference.

Whether overclocking is easier or not depends on several factors. If your motherboard is H61 or something like that, overclocking can be difficult (some require a BIOS update) or even impossible. If your CPU is of a "bad bin", overclocking might have very limited results. If you don't have enough cooling, overclocking might be difficult.

You also need to know the basics before you begin overclocking.

With that said, I'd definitely explore the options of overclocking before paying for a new CPU, mobo etc.

Regardless, it seems fairly shortsighted to talk about the 4790k at all when Intel is releasing (info about) the 6700k within the next week: http://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/85187-intel-skylake-core-i7-6700k-i5-6600k-packaging-leaks-online/

Edited by MFollin

Hi everyone. So I ended up buying a new CPU and Motherboard and increased my ram to 32 GB. The new CPU and Motherboard are an i7-5820k and a MSI X99S, respectively. To my chagrin, the performance increase in games is slight. The processor came stocked at 3.3 GHz so i thought about trying my hand at overclocking it. That didn't go well, so I'm going to bring it to a computer shop and have them try to overclock it.

I disabled shadows completely for SWTOR and that has helped with the FPS tremendously (disabling shadows helps with other games too), but the performance increase is still not at a point I'm satisfied with.

And yes, overclocking is easier than buying a new CPU... In the span of 15-30 minutes I can have a safe, reliable OC with a decent cooler from the comfort of my desk. How is getting a new CPU easier than that?

Which in terms of this game is exactly what you want.

How is buying something from a shop easier than overclocking manually?

If you think you can judge your overclock as "stable" in 15-30 minutes then you don't know as much about over clocking as you think you do and it's no wonder you think it's "easy".

Not to mention it all requiring a person to have the correct hardware for over clocking to begin with. The majority of the time they are going to get better performance by upgrading their current hardware than trying to overclock existing hardware that will probably require a form of upgrade in the first place.

Cooling at least which requires getting into the case and removing the CPU ( clean off old TIM to apply new TIM, doing in the socket is just begging to damage something ) and a varying degree of difficulty depending on the cooler used ( which depends on how far you want/need to push your overclock ).

Add to this the amount of research on good/specific settings/firmware updates for their current motherboard ( if they didn't have to upgrade it ) and then voltage tweaks and the days of true stability testing and that's before you even look at if you need to start messing with your ram timings or not.

I'm sure I've missed even more than that too so to turn your question against you, how is buying from a shop harder than manually overclocking?

Or maybe you just think click Bios, up the multiplier, woohoo I'm a computer genius because I overclocked my puter. Kudos to you then. ;)

Regardless, it seems fairly shortsighted to talk about the 4790k at all when Intel is releasing (info about) the 6700k within the next week: http://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/85187-intel-skylake-core-i7-6700k-i5-6600k-packaging-leaks-online/

Fair point though in saying that we also need some decent bench's after release to really compare apples vs apples in a pricing perspective. Also DX12 to take into consideration which I'm not sure how well they can compare bench's against at this stage between the two.

Pricing will of course be a major factor since my only reason for first recommending to the OP the 4790k was the future proofing for DX12, Multicore/thread gaming/apps etc. over the i5 4690k. Once you comapre the 2 i7's though then I would be more inclined to list price as a factor if the new skylake chips don't offer up too much real world benefits.

Again hard to say when talking "future proofing" of course because we don't really know what future benefits the skylake might give over the haswell i7's as opposed to future proofing between an i7 and an i5.

Hi everyone. So I ended up buying a new CPU and Motherboard and increased my ram to 32 GB. The new CPU and Motherboard are an i7-5820k and a MSI X99S, respectively. To my chagrin, the performance increase in games is slight. The processor came stocked at 3.3 GHz so i thought about trying my hand at overclocking it. That didn't go well, so I'm going to bring it to a computer shop and have them try to overclock it.

I disabled shadows completely for SWTOR and that has helped with the FPS tremendously (disabling shadows helps with other games too), but the performance increase is still not at a point I'm satisfied with.

Wow lol nice setup though yeah you probably aren't going to get too much extra performance from that chip initially and especially not at stock since it isn't really running any faster than your old CPU.

First reason being not many games currently take advantage of the extra cores and threads, they should do in the future and espcially under DX12 though nto sure if they will push development through to 6 core / 12 thread support as opposed to 4/4 or 4/8 but it certaily helps future proof you in that regard.

As for most games that only run single threaded like this one that realyl comes down to raw speed and you're raw speed isn't any faster than what you had before hence why I was recommending the 4790k since the 4 core 8 thread should be enough future proofing for years to come and it also runs at 4.0/4.4 stock.

So yeah to really start seeing signfiicant boosts over what you had before the new chip will require overclocking and if you are happy for the store to work on this for you and they are happy to help then that may be the best bet. Learning overclocking can be fun but it can also be quite frustrating and time consuming so each to their own on in that regard.

With reasonable after market air cooling the store should have no troubles getting the CPU to 4.5 minimum IMO on that board though as MFollin pointed out earlier it can depend on the silicone lottery at it's sometimes known ( or the bin/batch of cpu's - not all are created perfectly equal and some are better at overclocking than others and it's not on purpose just a side effect of the process I believe ).

Wow lol nice setup though yeah you probably aren't going to get too much extra performance from that chip initially and especially not at stock since it isn't really running any faster than your old CPU.

First reason being not many games currently take advantage of the extra cores and threads, they should do in the future and espcially under DX12 though nto sure if they will push development through to 6 core / 12 thread support as opposed to 4/4 or 4/8 but it certaily helps future proof you in that regard.

As for most games that only run single threaded like this one that realyl comes down to raw speed and you're raw speed isn't any faster than what you had before hence why I was recommending the 4790k since the 4 core 8 thread should be enough future proofing for years to come and it also runs at 4.0/4.4 stock.

So yeah to really start seeing signfiicant boosts over what you had before the new chip will require overclocking and if you are happy for the store to work on this for you and they are happy to help then that may be the best bet. Learning overclocking can be fun but it can also be quite frustrating and time consuming so each to their own on in that regard.

With reasonable after market air cooling the store should have no troubles getting the CPU to 4.5 minimum IMO on that board though as MFollin pointed out earlier it can depend on the silicone lottery at it's sometimes known ( or the bin/batch of cpu's - not all are created perfectly equal and some are better at overclocking than others and it's not on purpose just a side effect of the process I believe ).

Yeah the stock GHz on this new card is actually lower than my previous one by .2 GHz - I made a mistake and thought the stock GHz would be higher than 3.5 GHz, I didn't do all my homework obviously. But since it's already bought and installed, I might as well try to overclock it. I read before buying the CPU that it could be overclocked to as high as 4.6 GHz without causing system instability (maybe that's why I confused its stock speed).

Yeah the stock GHz on this new card is actually lower than my previous one by .2 GHz - I made a mistake and thought the stock GHz would be higher than 3.5 GHz, I didn't do all my homework obviously. But since it's already bought and installed, I might as well try to overclock it. I read before buying the CPU that it could be overclocked to as high as 4.6 GHz without causing system instability (maybe that's why I confused its stock speed).

Yeah that I would consider about the best "average" overclock you will get off it though don't be surprised if you can only get 4.4 which seems more the lower end from what I've read ( no CPU will guarantee overclock speeds ). This of course requires after market cooling and a stable 4.6 isn't a simple thing to achieve either in many cases since it probably won't get there on stock voltage.

Of course you may find it can go beyond 5.0 on water cooling too but again that's a lot of time and work there especially in the tweaking and testing and the water setup that could be extra cost you didn't need if you find you just can't get it stable beyond the 4.6.

In saying that when you are happy to spend that sort of money on hardware it's ( overclocking/tweaking ) certainly something that can become quite appealing and enjoyable if you have the time and patience to get the absolute maximum out of your hardware. It's not that steep of a learning curve either because there are just soo many really well written guides out there for it, as well as hardware specific guides and of course really helpful forums.

It's not for everyone of course but I've always enjoyed overclocking.

I still remember back to one of the old Athlon's I think it was that I had to unlock for overclocking by drawing a line in pencil between 2 contacts on the top of the chip ( ended up frying it from memory due to a poorly seated heatsink/fan - live n learn though it's hsrder to fry chips these days ) :)

I haven't seen this question asked yet, so I must breach the subject...

What is your cooling solution? Are you using the stock Intel HSF, after-market air cooler, AIO closed-loop water cooler, or custom loop water cooling?

Your cooling solution is pivotal as the first step to a successful overclock. Overclocking results in significant increases to the amount of heat the cpu will generate and without adequate cooling you will fry that new chip.

If you need help with your overclock. I highly recommend the following forum groups.

This first link is a group dedicated to Haswell-E chip owners.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1510388/haswell-e-overclock-leaderboard-owners-club

This second link is a group dedicated to your motherboard. This is probably where you will get the best information about how to overclock your specific hardware.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1511496/official-msi-x99s-a-motherboard-owners-club

Many of the regular users in these forums are extreme overclockers using custom water loops to achieve the most cutting edge performance available from their hardware. As with any website though, there are a number of misinformed users, so please be careful of which users you take advice from. There are many other useful guides to help teach new users about overclocking in a more general sense, but when you are ready to perform an overclock on your hardware, I highly recommend getting help from users who have the same hardware. Every motherboard is different for how you achieve your overclock. Some boards are incredibly easy and only require a few settings to be changed in the BIOS, while other boards can be more complex. If you are patient though and do your research, it's not too difficult to get the overclock that you want to run stable.

If you think you can judge your overclock as "stable" in 15-30 minutes then you don't know as much about over clocking as you think you do and it's no wonder you think it's "easy".

Well, my experience ranges from air to phase change cooling (which I highly doubt more than 2-3 people on this forum if that have). I've hit significant overclocks with many platforms and am known on both EOCF and XS.

Yes, you can get a stable OC in 15-30 minutes. The days of having to run Prime95 for 8+ hours are over. 30 minutes of Linx w/ AVX instructions is all you need and I have built several high end systems overclocked with that regimen to prove it.

Join an overclocking forum like EOCF, XS, or OCN. You'll gain valuable knowledge that this forum can't teach you and get a nice overclock.

Yes, you can get a stable OC in 15-30 minutes. The days of having to run Prime95 for 8+ hours are over. 30 minutes of Linx w/ AVX instructions is all you need and I have built several high end systems overclocked with that regimen to prove it.

Sorry, you're wrong here, everyone knows your OC isn't stable unless you run P95 small FFTs for 24 hours. Cause the room A/C is an important component of your overclock. :p j/k

Side note though: I don't even think Prime95 is a relevant stability test anymore for overclocks higher than 4.5 Ghz thereabouts. It changes with the chip, but my personal experience has been once you get over a certain frequency nothing will prevent one core or more from failing. But yet you can run the same OC on OCCT/Linpack, IBT, AOD and it'll test stable. It drove me nuts until I just accepted the fact that good ol' P95 is just past its "prime" today.

Well, my experience ranges from air to phase change cooling (which I highly doubt more than 2-3 people on this forum if that have). I've hit significant overclocks with many platforms and am known on both EOCF and XS.

From what I've known to have an overclock that is considered truly stable you really need to run the prime test . Whilst Linx is great for stress testing temperatures I wouldn't personally rely on it enough over 30 minutes to call my overclock completely stable.

Many people would run both though personally if I'm going to run a prime test anyway I am fairly confident it will find anything wrong that linx runs would have anyway. The same cannot be send about running linx over prime.

You could argue each to their own but if you are proclaiming the death of Prime testing or having it as a thing of the past you are just ignorant.

Sorry, you're wrong here, everyone knows your OC isn't stable unless you run P95 small FFTs for 24 hours. Cause the room A/C is an important component of your overclock. :p j/k

Side note though: I don't even think Prime95 is a relevant stability test anymore for overclocks higher than 4.5 Ghz thereabouts. It changes with the chip, but my personal experience has been once you get over a certain frequency nothing will prevent one core or more from failing. But yet you can run the same OC on OCCT/Linpack, IBT, AOD and it'll test stable. It drove me nuts until I just accepted the fact that good ol' P95 is just past its "prime" today.

And when that fault that prime detects causes instability that one day leads to a full system restore ( worst case sure ) and you're left wondering why well it was simply because you didn't test your overclock correctly.

I'll take true stable over "I've cranked my overclock too high or not running enough voltage but need an app to tell me it's stable" any day.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.