How often do you use your companion customizations?

Strive-US

Yeah ... couldn't agree more. I kinda want to think the devs were going for a "hulk" look to Khem Val. But the only thing I think of when seeing him is the underclothed house elf Dobby in Harry Potter. Definitely not the image you want floating in your head when dealing with a companion that should be able to rip your face off.
Which is why I never use the Khem customization to give him armor. Everyone knows that the only way to set Khem free is to give him clothes.

My answer to the OP ... like many others .. is, "It depends." I always customize Mako and Corso. I usually take the red skin customization for Khem. I never customize Kaliyo. I usually repaint T-7 blue. For the rest, it just depends on my mood.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only used customizations on Risha (to get rid of her make up that made her look 10 years older, the face model was still the same) and Nadia (because with her original face and hairstyle she looked very much like my consular, and it was quite disturbing). Overall I prefer to leave companions' original appearance, partly because I like how some of them look unique, partly because of their portraits in crew skill menu.

I forgot, I also used a customization on Bowdaar to give him more armor.

Edited by Yria

My Smuggler was my first character. I took my sweet time leveling and exploring, so Risha spent a great amount of time on my ship as a guest, and when I finally got her as companion and had the option to customize her, I had already gotten used to her look. Now I like some of her customizations, but I'd never use them because they're not "my" Risha. :)

Dr. Lokin is another one that I leave uncustomized. His original look fits my image of his character best.

For most of the other companions I decide on one customization and then stick with it. For Guss and Qyzen I frequently change their customization to match their current oufit. >.>

For Guss and Qyzen I frequently change their customization to match their current oufit. >.>
I used to always use the green customization for Qyzen. Back when the game first released, my friends and I always had trouble remembering our companions names (and how to spell them properly). As a three-character group, we usually used my Qyzen as our tank for Heroic-4s ... so he was truly just one of the guys for us. Only, none of us ever spelled his name correctly ... Quzen, Qyzan, Quzon. Eventually, I gave up and, noticing that Qyzen is really just a big green space lizard-man, we started calling him "Gorn." As in: "Hey Thor, can Gorn tank this boss?"

Over time, however, spelling "Qyzen" became second nature to me and I decided to stop using customizations for him that healed his cloudy eye.

True story.

Edited by Thoronmir

Personally, I use the companion customizations almost always. Plus, each of my duplicate classes uses their on specific customizations based on how I'm playing the character at that time. For instance, if I'm planning to do the romance arc on a given companion, I'll pick a customization that I feel my character would find attractive. I also might change the customization if I feel the story allows it. For example, I changed Dr. Lokin

to the one that makes him look like he's infected with the rakghoul plague after he started experimenting on himself.

I usually travel to Ilum as my companions become part of my crew. There I can access the customizations from the security vendor on the orbital station and all the ones on the vendor on the ground.

In short, customizations are important to me. In fact, it is a little annoying to me how long my smugglers had to deal with Risha without the ability to changer her looks. (I'm not a fan of her base look, anyway. It never seemed to fit to me.)

I also feel the same way about the companion armors. I'll basically only use the non-customizable Yavin gear on companions that don't show armor, unless I really like the armor style. I think I've used them 4 times across about 12 characters where they actually show on the companion.

But that's just me. To each their own.

I'll use customizations if the facial structure remains the same. So different piercings for Kaliyo, big armor for Khem, different paint job for Forex, different patterns for Ashara etc. But not into customizations that completly change the face like with Zenith for example, or most human customizations, or most HK customizations that make him look like completly different purpouse/production-line droid. The original face was designed along with the companion and influenced or was influenced by the writers' vision so.. Edited by Pietrastor

sometimes yes, once in a while my OCD kicks in and it really bothers me that I can't get the look just right. I picked the wrong color for my jedi knight's droid and spent 30k on deep red dye to dye her armor just so they could match, never mind that my knight is a blue skinned twilek. and it really bothers me that I can't keep my trooper and Jorgan looking exactly the same because they're a military team and should wear the same armor. Edited by Robertwarbringer

Really depends on the character and the companions. My first character (Sentinel) only used one for T7. Kira does have some nice ones as well, but it felt weird to change anything after the long time spent together with her before it was possible to do this. Didn't really bother with the others either. Next characters have used them more, especially thanks to having discovered TOR Fashion's nice previews, but I don't think I've ever had every companion of a single character use some customization, just choosing what seems to work best with the particular character's own personality and looks. I've also taken to planning the companion customizations ahead when starting a new character these days.

In fact, it is a little annoying to me how long my smugglers had to deal with Risha without the ability to changer her looks. (I'm not a fan of her base look, anyway. It never seemed to fit to me.)

Oh, definitely have to agree with you here. This is one I changed the moment I could.

Still terribly amused playing Trooper with a customization 2 Elara right after the Agent with standard Raina. The girls could be twins... :D

Edited by Luinthoron

Khem always, just to get him wearing something other than a loin cloth... Prefer the gold skeletor armor to khems usual conan look.

Mako is a must just because her options are so diverse.

Nadia and Kira sometimes, just depends on how I play the knight or sage, but not really necessary.

Personally, I use the companion customizations almost always. Plus, each of my duplicate classes uses their on specific customizations based on how I'm playing the character at that time. For instance, if I'm planning to do the romance arc on a given companion, I'll pick a customization that I feel my character would find attractive. I also might change the customization if I feel the story allows it. For example, I changed Dr. Lokin

to the one that makes him look like he's infected with the rakghoul plague after he started experimenting on himself.

I usually travel to Ilum as my companions become part of my crew. There I can access the customizations from the security vendor on the orbital station and all the ones on the vendor on the ground.

In short, customizations are important to me. In fact, it is a little annoying to me how long my smugglers had to deal with Risha without the ability to changer her looks. (I'm not a fan of her base look, anyway. It never seemed to fit to me.)

I also feel the same way about the companion armors. I'll basically only use the non-customizable Yavin gear on companions that don't show armor, unless I really like the armor style. I think I've used them 4 times across about 12 characters where they actually show on the companion.

But that's just me. To each their own.

This exactly. Before I start a character I look up all of their customization options and pick which one works best with or appropriately contrasts with the character I've created, then I decide on an Armor set to go with that companion to tie it off. The only companion I've never customized (Until recently) was Doc because I find all of his customization options repulsive (Except the green haired one with the Mohawk you can get doing the Nightlife event.) I have spent hours for each character doing this, because lets face it, sometimes what you think will look really cool, doesn't for whatever reason, and you have to rethink what you were going with. My most recent Shadow's crew is the one I'm most proud of. I love the way we all look together.

Mako is a must just because her options are so diverse.

I will likely use one for my second Bounty Hunter, but went without with the first. There are certainly some nice options there, yes, but I still like her standard looks the best.

The only companion I've never customized (Until recently) was Doc because I find all of his customization options repulsive (Except the green haired one with the Mohawk you can get doing the Nightlife event.).

Had to look up the Doc customizations, but yeah, not much choice there. 2 is nice as well, I guess, but a bit old looking for my female Knight's romance, so standard Doc it'll be again. I do actually like number 7's looks, but it seems just way too old for both Doc's personality and his voice.

Edited by Luinthoron

At a guess I'd say 20% of my companions sport customizations. I'd prefer to have each alt's companions with different customizations, but I find the vast majority available are unappealing. At best, each companion has only one or two I'd even consider using.