Windows 10 Support

Azurestone

No - because Windows 10 has not been officially released.

Come back and ask once it has been.

It's gonna be released in less than 9 days, now. I've been reading all sorts of game forums, many of which have a dev thread answering the state of their games' win 10 support. So I am just wondering, what's it like for SWTOR, out of curiosity.

No - because Windows 10 has not been officially released.

Come back and ask once it has been.

What an ignorant response...you having a bad day?

I have the same question OP...I'd like to upgrade to Win10...but not if the game won't run

I have the same question OP...I'd like to upgrade to Win10...but not if the game won't run

I'm going to try to be nice and understanding here, but I'll start with a slightly condescending question:

In your research, have you run across a significant number of games that are fully supported on Windows 8, but are incompatible with Windows 10?

If your answer is "No", then at the very least you should be walking into this with the assumption that it will work. So far, the best I've found for lists of incompatible games lists a handful of games that are either no longer actively maintained or are dealing with on-and-off compatibility with new builds of Win10 (eg: Rift).

The easier answer is that a bunch of people have already tried playing SWTOR with Windows 10 and have had no problems. The bigger concerns for compatibility will likely be your hardware (or your printer... ugh). Due to the fact that there have been no reports of incompatibility for SWTOR and Win10 isn't officially released yet, EA/Bioware is very unlikely to make any announcements about compatibility. When you combine this with the fact that there are actually very few changes in the core OS operations between Win7, Win8, and Win10 (most of the changes were UI based), there is even less to worry about.

For now, simply assume that the best information is what we already have: Win10 will likely be compatible with anything that runs on Win8.1 right now. If there are problems, they will likely be fixed very, very quickly.

It is Windows. It is going to have more problems at first release than any problem you might have with a specific game. 10 main versions of windows attest to this(even the ones that didn't release to the public since they didn't release because they had issues).

Devs please: Does this game has official windows 10 support yet?

This game does not even have official Windows 8 support let alone a comment from the devs about using Windows 8 for SWTOR so I hate to tell you but I doubt we will hear any official word from the devs on Windows 10. They probably don't have any machine to run Windows 10 as is and probably won't be upgrading any time soon like most people. Corporations and businesses rarely upgrade for some time when a new O.S. comes out. The Tech company I worked for, it was at least 4 or 5 years before the I.T. company made the decision to upgrade the companies computer system to Windows 7 from XP.

In saying that, there have been reports from various players here and on reddit about using Windows 10 and SWTOR and no major issue has been found but take that with a grain of salt as always.

Devs please: Does this game has official windows 10 support yet?

Regardless of the answer, do you want to really upgrade in 9 days?

I know I won't... Oh sure, I'll install it on a secondary machine, one that doesn't matter if it goes Tango Uniform... But I wouldn't dream of installing it on my main work machine for awhile, probably a few months, give or take depending on how it goes...

Vista was a mess at launch, 7 was nearly perfect, 8 was a mess... MS might get this one right, it might be perfect, who knows... we shall see...

I have Windows 10 on my laptop and I can't hardly play SWTOR. It auto minimizes after about 10 minutes and once that happens I can't get it back or even close it. have to restart the pc. Only started happening once I went to windows 10.

They probably don't have any machine to run Windows 10 as is

That's almost certainly false. Every major gaming studio making games for Windows (that I've heard of) has some form of developer licensing for Windows that gives you access to every version of Windows, plus all the development pre-releases, and kernel-debug versions of each of those. That includes tools to rapidly (re)install each of the versions.

Contrary to popular opinion, Bioware Austin is not a group of eight developers sharing six PCs. They likely have a dozen PCs available just for the developers to test on, plus all the PCs the testing group uses. They absolutely have the hardware to test on Win10 and I have no doubt that someone has already tried it.

I spent some time developing Windows software (professionally... and this was security software, not Metro apps). Even as a small company, test PCs outnumbered developers and we were testing on the next version of Windows before the public ever got a chance to look at the OS.

That doesn't mean they're gonna make statements about it, and certainly not before the OS is even officially released.

I have Windows 10 on my laptop and I can't hardly play SWTOR. It auto minimizes after about 10 minutes and once that happens I can't get it back or even close it. have to restart the pc. Only started happening once I went to windows 10.

Sure, but you're not running the release version of Windows 10, so it doesn't count... :)

Contrary to popular opinion, Bioware Austin is not a group of eight developers sharing six PCs. They likely have a dozen PCs available just for the developers to test on, plus all the PCs the testing group uses. They absolutely have the hardware to test on Win10 and I have no doubt that someone has already tried it.

If they only have a dozen, I'd be shocked.

Have been on Windows 10 insider program for a while. They gave us the release version last week and we are only getting the standard updates now, no more builds.

I can confirm SWTOR runs very well on Windows 10 .. Well for me at least :)

It is Windows. It is going to have more problems at first release than any problem you might have with a specific game. 10 main versions of windows attest to this(even the ones that didn't release to the public since they didn't release because they had issues).

^Bingo

Have been on Windows 10 insider program for a while. They gave us the release version last week and we are only getting the standard updates now, no more builds.

I can vouch for this as well - playing SWTOR on 10. Only beef I had was the NVidia drivers for nv surround didn't jibe with WIn 10, so I am down to a single monitor from 3. However, runs like a champ on it.

Windows Insider here, and I can confirm that SWTOR is running perfectly fine for me as well. Although my test laptop is not as powerful as my desktop, I haven't experienced any problems with the client, connections, or the installer.

Edited by king_nile

Windows 10 doesn't stand for how many versions of Windows there have been..it's just a number...there are actually 25 different versions of the client release of Windows since Windows 1.01 in 1985. :D. Early versions of the Windows 10 test build did encounter troubles playing swtor, but from what I've read on the forums it appears to be playable now with little to no problems, at least no more than anyone else using win 8.1 are having lol.

That is not how it works, that not how any of it works...

• 3 months later...

i've no idea what windows 10 are you using but mine epic failed at launching swtor.

Tried the compatibility versions, win 7, win 8 for all swtor components, the launcher.exe, swtor.exe, disabled my firewall etc etc etc... nope, doesn't work. And even tried all those workarounds on the other thread. They don't work. Period.

i've no idea what windows 10 are you using but mine epic failed at launching swtor.

Tried the compatibility versions, win 7, win 8 for all swtor components, the launcher.exe, swtor.exe, disabled my firewall etc etc etc... nope, doesn't work. And even tried all those workarounds on the other thread. They don't work. Period.

It works for using windows 10 pro

My windows 10 worked flawlessly with SWTOR.

Did you try running them as Admin?

I've been playing SWTOR using Windows 10 Home Edition from day one of the official W10 release and have not had any issues at all.