Theran Shan?

GorkieX

I'm finally starting to warm up to Lana now that I've done a few playthroughs, Republic and Imperial. But she does come off at first as a bit of a Mary Sue. So does Theron, if you think about it.

But how freaking great is Theron Shan? He works as a SGR, he works as a Het romance. As someone else pointed out, he's a rare main lead who also happens to be multi-racial/Asian. He's just so dang fun and, in spite of his serious character flaws, pretty much perfect. Given how much they've invested in the character outside the game, I doubt he'll just be killed off off-screen but if we don't get SOME kind of romantic ending with him, it would seriously affect how much I love this game. And by romantic ending, I mean one we both get to live to enjoy. Theron better not try to be all heroic and sacrifice himself or something.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I disagree with Lana being mary-sue-ish quite deeply, I agree that it would be pretty awful if Theron got shafted. He's had a book and a comic (and as you said, it's awesome to see a bi non-white lead in these things) and has huge importance to the storyline due to his heritage. While of course as a non-straight player I'm over the moon at having my sweet lady companion to romance, it'd suck royally for the dudes I know who waited so long for a serious m/m romance to lose him. I'm hoping he just became head of the sis in the years you spent in carbonite or is mission control or something.

It really sucks because that will not only make it twice, but there seems to be only one male in the newest set of companions (save Nico Okarr, who's a presub bonus, thus, likely, a total non-romanceable otherwise the complaints will roll in). The old companions, of course, are all straight, and I doubt they'll be retconned to playersexual or bi, so that leaves us with one SGR male in the galaxy... again. There cannot only be one, right? Also, that only makes one male total (barring presub and old companions). Which is just... weird. They kind of shot themselves in the foot though, with the whole 'male Emperor and his male children with their army thing'. Also, are they all human? The few pics we've gotten seem so.

I'm finally starting to warm up to Lana now that I've done a few playthroughs, Republic and Imperial. But she does come off at first as a bit of a Mary Sue. So does Theron, if you think about it.

But how freaking great is Theron Shan? He works as a SGR, he works as a Het romance. As someone else pointed out, he's a rare main lead who also happens to be multi-racial/Asian. He's just so dang fun and, in spite of his serious character flaws, pretty much perfect. Given how much they've invested in the character outside the game, I doubt he'll just be killed off off-screen but if we don't get SOME kind of romantic ending with him, it would seriously affect how much I love this game. And by romantic ending, I mean one we both get to live to enjoy. Theron better not try to be all heroic and sacrifice himself or something.

He's SO GREAT. The character flaws just make him better. As does that SIS wit. And the romance is just so perfect. Good Lord, I think I'm going to cry. HE'S JUST TOO PERFECT, THAT'S WHY THEY'LL KILL HIM! NOOOOO!

Ahem... *cough*. Sorry.

Man if they made us choose between Lana and Theron, Mass Effect Kaidan and Ashley style, I'd be over the f***ing moon. Lana would still die, every.single.time (poor Ashley), but it was done fantastically well in ME, so seeing it here might turn out to be just as well done.

The Virmire choice was brilliantly directed but then I'd also expect to interact with someone / something really awesome in that chapter before making the ultimate choice :rak_01: Too bad Vitiate is not even close to the awesomeness of Sovereign

P.S. Is Theron missing because he got indoctrinated :rak_02:

Edited by Preston_Violent

It really sucks because that will not only make it twice, but there seems to be only one male in the newest set of companions (save Nico Okarr, who's a presub bonus, thus, likely, a total non-romanceable otherwise the complaints will roll in). The old companions, of course, are all straight, and I doubt they'll be retconned to playersexual or bi, so that leaves us with one SGR male in the galaxy... again. There cannot only be one, right? Also, that only makes one male total (barring presub and old companions). Which is just... weird. They kind of shot themselves in the foot though, with the whole 'male Emperor and his male children with their army thing'. Also, are they all human? The few pics we've gotten seem so.

I noticed that too! The xpac really seems to be skewing in a certain direction. I just hope the devs haven't forgotten about the rest of us. Though I have a feeling that any returned companions will be romanceable by either gender. Just a hunch, since it seems to be where they've gone with romances since the release of HC.

He's SO GREAT. The character flaws just make him better. As does that SIS wit. And the romance is just so perfect. Good Lord, I think I'm going to cry. HE'S JUST TOO PERFECT, THAT'S WHY THEY'LL KILL HIM! NOOOOO!

Ahem... *cough*. Sorry.

But he's so emotionally unavailable and I just want him to commiiiiitt. Say it! Say the words, Theron! *sniff* But they would do that, wouldn't they? Have him say those three little words right before he jumps on to an exploding ship or something. Goddammit.

It really sucks because that will not only make it twice, but there seems to be only one male in the newest set of companions (save Nico Okarr, who's a presub bonus, thus, likely, a total non-romanceable otherwise the complaints will roll in). The old companions, of course, are all straight, and I doubt they'll be retconned to playersexual or bi, so that leaves us with one SGR male in the galaxy... again. There cannot only be one, right? Also, that only makes one male total (barring presub and old companions). Which is just... weird.

I guessss they could make it even by having Koth and Lana being the only romanceable ones in the group, making it even for one SGR companion for both dudes and ladies, but I hope instead we get Theron/Lana/Koth/Vaylin. I guess being a companion could be seen as Lana's 'compensation' for not getting a comic and book like Theron did? Again I'm just hoping Theron will have a huge NPC role that they're not spoiling yet.

I am beginning to think that the theory on Theron being removed/killed from the game may be accurate.

We subbers are getting Nico for free, and concept wise, both guys would probably be similar role wise. So perhaps they dropped Theron for "who knows" what reason, and replaced him with Nico. Perhaps Nico will be the main romance for females now...

I am beginning to think that the theory on Theron being removed/killed from the game may be accurate.

We subbers are getting Nico for free, and concept wise, both guys would probably be similar role wise. So perhaps they dropped Theron for "who knows" what reason, and replaced him with Nico. Perhaps Nico will be the main romance for females now...

He's a bit old though for a romance. And he'd have to be m/m available to be Theron's replacement (Theron's not just for women after all) and I somehow doubt that. I mean, nothing says he couldn't be, but I doubt it.

Edited by Uxori

lol everytime I come back to this thread I love it more and more. Great job keeping it on the first page, everyone!

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed a skew in a certain direction for the "cast of characters." We are supposed to be getting more information. I'm assuming next month since the next cantina event is July 11th (I think).

The thing, for me, with Theron as a romance is this....my poor smuggler only had ONE OPTION as a LI and that was Corso. I....can't....stand...Corso! He was way too clingy even though I didn't romance him, not even one flirt.

Theron is her only shot, and they just fit together. The "relationship" (if you can call it that) was relaxed. I like the, "oh, hey Theron! I'm just here to save your butt again, now kiss me goodbye. And don't forget to write at least once!" vibe to it. Which is exactly what my smuggler would want. They're "together" but not together, if that made sense. Heck, even if they aren't romantically linked it still works!!

Plus, I agree with what many of you have said. It is very rare that we get a main character that is of mixed heritage, and capable of being a SGR option.

Oh, and if I had to choose between Lana and Theron....sorry Lana!

Edited by Amadahy

I noticed that too! The xpac really seems to be skewing in a certain direction. I just hope the devs haven't forgotten about the rest of us. Though I have a feeling that any returned companions will be romanceable by either gender. Just a hunch, since it seems to be where they've gone with romances since the release of HC.

I would bet that they'd be unromanceable unless you've already romanced them (like Tali'Zorah and Garrus from ME3), I'm not going to hold hope for a gay Mando wedding, that only exists in the abandoned Legends canon ;) (DAMN YOU TORIAN!)

But he's so emotionally unavailable and I just want him to commiiiiitt. Say it! Say the words, Theron! *sniff* But they would do that, wouldn't they? Have him say those three little words right before he jumps on to an exploding ship or something. Goddammit.

All will love him and despair. Seriously though, I just want my Knight to be his knight, you know? WHY MUST THEY TAKE HIM FROM ME!?!?! (I'm seriously enjoying the melodrama of this, so, so much).

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed a skew in a certain direction for the "cast of characters."

Well, I'm quite glad the crew is skewing towards women, especially in Senya is one too. We ladies got seriously screwed by the absolute itty bitty amount of women in the game. Trooper, both Jedi, Inquisitor, and BH only have ONE female companion each in their group and it's really depressing. An injection of women was deeply needed.

Now just...make them SGR bioware...do it...I waited so many years and have romanced Lana like 5 times just...please...

It's actually sexist these days to assume that any male is exclusively of romantic interest to females...However, my main wouldn't want to touch this Nico with a 10 feet pole (even if my main likes to think that his pole is at least 10 feet long, just for unrealistic bragging's sake).

Well, I'm quite glad the crew is skewing towards women, especially in Senya is one too. We ladies got seriously screwed by the absolute itty bitty amount of women in the game. Trooper, both Jedi, Inquisitor, and BH only have ONE female companion each in their group and it's really depressing. An injection of women was deeply needed.

Now just...make them SGR bioware...do it...I waited so many years and have romanced Lana like 5 times just...please...

Believe me when I say I am always thrilled for more strong female roles in this game. Or any game for that matter.

I was speaking of how the current cast seems more "dark side" than the light. If you go by their descriptions, and what we saw of Arcaan and his jerk of a father the Emperor, of course.

He's a bit old though for a romance. And he'd have to be m/m available to be Theron's replacement (Theron's not just for women after all) and I somehow doubt that. I mean, nothing says he couldn't be, but I doubt it.

Such ageism! lol

Hypothetically, I have seen/read somewhere he was in his 30's in the trailer he was in. He could have been frozen in carbonite shortly after those events, as he was completely absent from the game itself. And since the player ends up frozen, this could be how they meet.

Of course this is just speculation. A character in their 30s or 40s would not be too old to romance.

"Where is Theron?" was also my first thought reading the character list. I will be a very sad panda if Lana survived and Theron didn't. I thought she had zero chemistry with any of my characters, while Theron oozed it with all of them!

Nico will have to be a hell of a lot sexier in game than he is in the screen shots I've seen of him to fill Theron's shoes :mad:

Theron and my sniper

Edited by Damask_Rose

The thing, for me, with Theron as a romance is this....my poor smuggler only had ONE OPTION as a LI and that was Corso. I....can't....stand...Corso! He was way too clingy even though I didn't romance him, not even one flirt.

FYI Corso is adorable, reliable, he is there for you because he is, not because he had nothing else to do or saw in you an opportunity to get off some trashy planet like Taris/Hoth/Belsavis...Theron only once "gave it to you" in the bushes on Yavin and even after that and the whole alliances-sor story he didn't contact you beforehand regarding Ziost...while I totally support the idea of this thread, you can't compare good ol' Corso with a spy who's here and the next minute gone :rak_03:

I'm with you in that respect, but limiting male characters also limits LI potential. At the very least I hope that we'll get one m/m LI, but I'd rather a choice. One male makes that impossible. Also, the 'one lone gay' in the galaxy seems real so far. Cytharat disappears, in steps Theron. Ditto Lana and Lemda. I'm just a wee bit selfish :).

Also, why is it that female villians are so rare in this game? I can't even name a living Darth (save mine, Occlus) who's female.

FYI Corso is adorable, reliable, he is there for you because he is, not because he had nothing else to do or saw in you an opportunity to get off some trashy planet like Taris/Hoth/Belsavis...Theron only once "gave it to you" in the bushes on Yavin and even after that and the whole alliances-sor story he didn't contact you beforehand regarding Ziost...while I totally support the idea of this thread, you can't compare good ol' Corso with a spy who's here and the next minute gone :rak_03:

I actually cannot disagree with you about Corso. Yes, Corso was there from start to finish. Anything my gunslinger needed he was there. I just did not like the interactions between my character and him. I didn't like that, even though I never flirted with him, if my girl even looked at someone he had a comment.

Great guy, but hell to the no on romance. And he's the only option fem-smugglers have. :(

I actually cannot disagree with you about Corso. Yes, Corso was there from start to finish. Anything my gunslinger needed he was there. I just did not like the interactions between my character and him. I didn't like that, even though I never flirted with him, if my girl even looked at someone he had a comment.

Great guy, but hell to the no on romance. And he's the only option fem-smugglers have. :(

Didn't you like the drunken Corso scene or how he clearly shows he's jealous by commenting on certain dialogue choices? ;)

On a side note, I have a male and female smuggler, bro Corso and hubby Corso respectively and guess what, I tested many times, whenever I get Corso to craft augmentation kits or augments, he crits 3 times more often for my male smuggler then he does for my female one (to whom he's married lol). I think he may be in the closet after all and thru crit chance it shows :D

Didn't you like the drunken Corso scene or how he clearly shows he's jealous by commenting on certain dialogue choices? ;)

On a side note, I have a male and female smuggler, bro Corso and hubby Corso respectively and guess what, I tested many times, whenever I get Corso to craft augmentation kits or augments, he crits 3 times more often for my male smuggler then he does for my female one (to whom he's married lol). I think he may be in the closet after all and thru crit chance it shows :D

Haha Corso loves ya! Let him count the crits (to show you.) ;)

Drunken Corso was actually a lot of fun. Especially the part about him sneaking off to a farm, or something, on Ord Mantell. Forgive me if I get that wrong it's been over a year since I have had that conversation. The only good thing about his jealous rants is that they are hilarious!

My favorite scene was on Alderaan when my smuggler said, "Zip your lip and sit tight farm boy!""

See, I don't have to worry about jealous comments with Theron. Since the romance doesn't last long enough to have them. :D

Funnily enough I noticed Guss gained medium affection from courting gifts given by my male smuggler. Sadly I don't have a female Smuggler to test it out, but I'll bet Guss has a crush on either. Which is really adorable. As for Corso, I never really liked him that much, so I can't imagine romancing him on any future female smugglers (or on my male smuggler if Corso suddenly became bi).