Can we take off the hype goggles for a moment?

Jduensing

So you been thinking for a good part of a year and a half that we need something new, something new is announced and you've already decided it is bad . . . Don't wanna spoil it for you, but;

Never, ever in your lifetime will you be satisfied, the time to change is NOW

In fairness to him, the characters do sound cliche. However, better sounding cliche and being well written than sounding okay and being clichely written (as in the actual movies).

And yeah, it's a minor complaint. I mean, a lot of people say Vitiate is a Mary Sue but most of us love him?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In fairness to him, the characters do sound cliche. However, better sounding cliche and being well written than sounding okay and being clichely written (as in the actual movies).

And yeah, it's a minor complaint. I mean, a lot of people say Vitiate is a Mary Sue but most of us love him?

The worst, in terms of cliché, is HK-55. Why is he repeating "Meatbag" again and again? It was a specific quirk HK-47 developed to annoy Darth Malak. Neither the HK-50 series nor HK-51 series used it (I believe the player owned 51 uses "Undesirables" and "Organic troublemakers"). That's without mentionning the dubious origin of said 55.

I also have a gripe with Valkorian since he really doesn't seem to be Vitiate (His quote mentions "The Empire of Zakuul") and yet it's also an Immortal Emperor.

For the rest, Arcann just sounds stupid and a generic bad-guy and the "prodigy" seems to be a rip-off of Jack/Subject Zero from Mass Effect 2.

The rest of the cast, excluding Lana whom we already know, sounds interresting.

Of course, if it is really what is coming and it's actually well written, then I can see it being good but then they need to punch the guy who wrote that HK-55 quote in the face because he can't do it properly.

Oh and the disclaimer for the Epic Story Boost is wrong. It lists levels 1 to 50. The boosts ends at 55. One more thing that makes all of it seems weird.

And I don't remember hearing about new class stories in the several events held recently. It could of course be a surprise but the writing budget would skyrocket for an expansion that is supposed to be free.

Edited by Leklor

I think with ME we got great companions in each installment. To me the worst disappointment when it comes to companions was Dragon Age: Inquisition. I really couldn't make much of a connection with any of them except Varric...and well he wasn't new.

But yeh no matter what BW announces somebody will upset and such is life. I am looking forward to where this is going myself.

How can you dislike The Iron Bull? Or Dorian? However, we are a bit short on likable female companions (Cassandra is <disgusted grunt> Cassandra, Vivenne is a b*atch and Sera is weird). It is not that they are badly written, they are written with great care, but their personalities are not as easily likable as with male characters.

Edited by Aries_cz

The worst, in terms of cliché, is HK-55. Why is he repeating "Meatbag" again and again? It was a specific quirk HK-47 developed to annoy Darth Malak. Neither the HK-50 series nor HK-51 series used it (I believe the player owned 51 uses "Undesirables" and "Organic troublemakers"). That's without mentionning the dubious origin of said 55.

I also have a gripe with Valkorian since he really doesn't seem to be Vitiate (His quote mentions "The Empire of Zakuul") and yet it's also an Immortal Emperor.

For the rest, Arcann just sounds stupid and a generic bad-guy and the "prodigy" seems to be a rip-off of Jack/Subject Zero from Mass Effect 2.

The rest of the cast, excluding Lana whom we already know, sounds interresting.

Of course, if it is really what is coming and it's actually well written, then I can see it being good but then they need to punch the guy who wrote that HK-55 quote in the face because he can't do it properly.

Oh and the disclaimer for the Epic Story Boost is wrong. It lists levels 1 to 50. The boosts ends at 55. One more thing that makes all of it seems weird.

And I don't remember hearing about new class stories in the several events held recently. It could of course be a surprise but the writing budget would skyrocket for an expansion that is supposed to be free.

Maybe HK-55 IS HK-47! I mean, he's been blown up enough, maybe his memory core or something got transplanted.

I feel like even if the morality of star wars is as basic black and white as possible, the characters within it don't have to be so rehashed it's a joke.

That's a fair point, & since I haven't looked at anything about the new companions, I can't comment.

I will say that most of the companions I've encountered in the game so far have been "interesting" even if I profoundly dislike them. In fact, that I profoundly dislike them makes them even a bit more interesting; they feel a bit more "human" as a result. I'd be disappointed if that aspect feels like it's gone away for whatever reason.

Woke myself and can't get back to sleep with how worried I am about this story.

If worry about a story in a video game has you to the point that you cant sleep, perhaps you need to step away from your monitor. Its a video game. That is just ridiculous

If worry about a story in a video game has you to the point that you cant sleep, perhaps you need to step away from your monitor. Its a video game. That is just ridiculous

Quoted to reiterate & reinforce truthiness.

Quoted to reiterate & reinforce truthiness.

Pfft! The game is here to enjoy, speculate about, worry, be excited, be vengeful, explore one's own Dark Side and do millions of other great things. I'd take being excited over "oh, do some real stuff" every day. What real stuff? Mortages? I paid mine. Kids? Nope, don't want any in my life. KotFE speculation? Absolutely, here I come.

So keep worrying and don't let anybody tell you you're doing something wrong. What do they understand?

How can you dislike The Iron Bull? Or Dorian? However, we are a bit short on likable female companions (Cassandra is <disgusted grunt> Cassandra, Vivenne is a b*atch and Sera is weird). It is not that they are badly written, they are written with great care, but their personalities are not as easily likable as with male characters.

This will probably just make me sound like more of a pessimistic, unsatisfied little brat, since that is apparently the vibe I'm giving off. But truthfully, I couldn't get into dragon age 2 or inquisition because I didn't like the characters. Alistair from origins is one of my all time favorite video game characters, and I loved everything about origins. For me, though, who you share a story with is just as important as the story itself. Which is why while the inquisitor story is objectively more "boring" than the warrior story I enjoyed it more than the warrior because ,unlike the warrior, there was nobody on the inquisitor's ship I had any desire to kick off. I liked them all, and that's more than I can say for most classes. Agent story was indeed good, but it is probably my least favorite story in the game, even if it was masterfully written, because the agent's crew just completely rubbed me the wrong way. The only character I even felt close to on that ship was Vector, and the creepy bug-guy should never be the most relatable person in a story. I'm just worried that this story could be equally good, but be tarnished by poor, over-cliched characters.

Pfft! The game is here to enjoy, speculate about, worry, be excited, be vengeful, explore one's own Dark Side and do millions of other great things. I'd take being excited over "oh, do some real stuff" every day. What real stuff? Mortages? I paid mine. Kids? Nope, don't want any in my life. KotFE speculation? Absolutely, here I come.

So keep worrying and don't let anybody tell you you're doing something wrong. What do they understand?

Also I'm gonna say that was kind of unhealthy for them though. You don't need to be a student of psychology to know that when you start to loose sleep over something trivial, it has become too large a part of your life and you need to step back. And that's coming from the guy complaining on video game forums about cliche character blurbs on a leaked webpage.

I got three or four hours of sleep instead of seven or eight. One night out of the year. A Saturday no less. If we're going to call something unhealthy I think it should be you guys if you care that much about it. Edited by Senrie

Which is why while the inquisitor story is objectively more "boring" than the warrior story

If it were "objectively more boring" that would be true for people other than you. It's not: I'm seeing it exactly the opposite. The Inquisitor story has left me with gales of entertainment, while the Warrior story is, to me, nothing more than boring old "Hulk, SMASH!!!!!"

The word you were looking for is "subjectively."

Man I hope some for of open world phasing finally gets introduced.

Meaning that since Lana is referencing jedi and sith retreating to tython/korriban that is actually reflected on said planets if you go there past said story point. It's a long over-due technical feature of this game and if they don't do it now, when they're shaking the galaxy as we know it off it's hinges, they never will.

To be fair, we know Ep VII is a big deal, but that doesn't mean all the SW fans suddenl want to play an MMO. On the other hand it will likely increase interest so I do expect some interest for SWTOR as a consequence. So I think EA probably felt this momentum made it a good time to do something like this but at the same time they have to balance the expectations of what's realistic and how much that's worth investing into.

Still, from what we know, the game is in a good shape and a couple of servers aside more people are playing the game so that's a good sign. I will say though that I wasn't sure if they were going to pick this up or write this game off a year ago, so I am glad that they chose to go this way.

When I look at this upcoming expansion (especially after seeing the leaked details) and the improved communication about class changes (in spite of the mara/sent debacle), I feel it's fair to say BW has really put in an effort and for me that's a pleasant development.

Yah know I haven't really chimed into this before. But I'll say something.

I think it's absolutely BRILLIANT for them to advertise this game and be 100 percent behind it, push it and add a BUNCH of stuff.

They know what they have and if they really wanted to, they could do something in the future that blends The Old Republic very well with all the other stuff. They could really market it and use The Old Republic era and explain it as a "precursor" of events that happened long, long, long ago. Cause remember, it's canon until they say it's not. And I believe The Old Republic era didn't get the axe at all from Disney definitively because it's so far back it effects NOTHING of the new movies or prequels. Not even close!

So they know what they have in The Old Republic era. It's just a matter of time until they choose to acknowledge whether or not they want to use it and incorporate this stuff into "official" status. Which I believe, in due time, that will happen because The Old Republic era is an absolute behemoth in it's own and acts as a "but what happened BEFORE anakin and "the chosen one" and all that. Well? That's why there is The Old Republic era. They can go very, very far with this!

I think both Disney and EA are now realizing what they have in this game. Disney didn't shut it down because it brings in revenue and it does NOT effect any of the storytelling that will ever go on in the new trilogy / movies because it's so far back. Disney knows that and they know what they have.

EA seems like it's finally 100 percent behind this game and pushing/marketing/hyping it hard. And it should, because this game is fantastic and deserves credit for being as great as it is. I'm so excited. I could write pages upon pages of theories and how great this game is and the potential it can be used in.

Nevertheless, those things WILL happen. One day it WILL be "official" and until Disney says so, The Old Republic era is left untouched because it's so far back it will NOT effect any of the new directions disney wants to take, but still acts as a precursor to people and Star Wars fans answering the questions "ok...so what happened all the way back?"

Play Knights of the Old Republic I and II and SWTOR and you'll find out :)

They can really go heavy on this stuff here!

I'm so excited for this announcement. It's big for the game and big for it going forward. Disney acknowledges The Old Republic era and knows it's just Star Wars gold to explain events from the past.

They have to fix and correct the sins of the past...and that is the engine of the game. Anything we suggest is NO...

Anyway, the last night leak raise some questions about the third faction.

They name it third faction, so it may be a playable alliance. They didnt name revanites third faction. It says after 60 we become veterans and we choose our path.

Is that conflicts with the guilds? If a third faction enters the game and I pick it up at 60, do I lose the guild I was in the imp side or rep side? Its some questions need to be answered... Still trying to figure out the third faction thingy...

As for the companions, its a fresh thing, we lose them all (??) and we getting back those we want, plus new? It was about time to send home many of them I dont like and I dont use. I cant wait to kill Malavai Quieen.

It's far more likely that there will not be 3, but 1 faction. Better than Cross Server my friend :p

Edited by DarthRaneDeer

If it were "objectively more boring" that would be true for people other than you. It's not: I'm seeing it exactly the opposite. The Inquisitor story has left me with gales of entertainment, while the Warrior story is, to me, nothing more than boring old "Hulk, SMASH!!!!!"

The word you were looking for is "subjectively."

I would actually stand by my wording there. In mainstream media the content of the sith inquisitor story would be far less likely to sell to an audience than that of the warriors. From the objective standpoint of a movie/game producer, the inquisitor is more "boring".