Swtor taking things away? Really?

Ehral

Reminds me of when I had full 78 crafted pvp gear in WoW during lich king, and I was rocking it. Then I hit 80 and straight sucked. I felt like my cool character had been taken away. But why? Because that's how MMO's work.

Be thankful the expansion is only $20. That is cheap, I think WoW's latest was $60.

In a way it's your own fault that you had 55s, spent the money, THEN realized you needed the expansion. Just suck it up and pay the twenny-twen-twen, or you could quit and be out $35 anyway I suppose. Also, I believe if you'd done some reading, you could've used someone's referral and got not only 7 days free game time for coming back, but a free character transfer as well.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, bruh. It's always been that way. The level cap increase comes with the new content on the expac. You gotta buy the expac.

I know I din't say nothing new, here. Just repeating what everybody been saying. It ain't no indictment against you. See? It's just being honest.

Reminds me of when I had full 78 crafted pvp gear in WoW during lich king, and I was rocking it. Then I hit 80 and straight sucked. I felt like my cool character had been taken away. But why? Because that's how MMO's work.

Be thankful the expansion is only $20. That is cheap, I think WoW's latest was $60.

In a way it's your own fault that you had 55s, spent the money, THEN realized you needed the expansion. Just suck it up and pay the twenny-twen-twen, or you could quit and be out $35 anyway I suppose. Also, I believe if you'd done some reading, you could've used someone's referral and got not only 7 days free game time for coming back, but a free character transfer as well.

WoW is $60 + the $15 sub fee and you will want to subscribe to a few addons

Not quite. Star Trek Online gives full access to everything. That's the only exception I know of though.

Not really cause Delta rising kind of puts a lot of things behind the tier 5 and 6 wall so if u never paid a dime before u have 2

1. Grind for about 20 years to get 1 tier 5 ship and upgrade it
  2. pay money

I ruminated on similar recently. I'm a solo gamer type and this is my first and only MMO. I'm used to an expansion being totally optional. If you don't buy it, your game isn't impacted at all. You just don't get new content.

This is not the case here. My JK lost Keening. When I tried Gree, it was painful as it was now designed for 60. If I was still on a PvP server, I'd get ganked much more easily. Even little things like having to be much more careful pathing around opposite faction bases. I'm not a PvP'r, or end-gamer really, but they obviously are greatly impacted. So it first struck me as a cynical marketing strategy.

But on a little further reflection, I concluded it wasn't clear how an MMO can do otherwise. So I agree with that part of the replies here.

[tldr] Guess that just comes with the MMO territory. Accept, move on, or (as someone else mentioned) buy the $40 Amazon story pack that gives you the expansion, 2 months sub, and 2400 CC.

Still shouldn't have taken my keening :p

Edited by DocDAM

0/10 wow you really thought we were going to feel sorry for you? Every MMO that has a lvl cap comes with an expansion, been like this for im 17 yrs or so from Ultima online to WoW, they all do it.

This is one of those OPs uttlerly impossible to believe was posted in seriousness. So yeah, 0/10.

I ruminated on similar recently. I'm a solo gamer type and this is my first and only MMO. I'm used to an expansion being totally optional. If you don't buy it, your game isn't impacted at all. You just don't get new content.

This is not the case here. My JK lost Keening. When I tried Gree, it was painful as it was now designed for 60. If I was still on a PvP server, I'd get ganked much more easily. Even little things like having to be much more careful pathing around opposite faction bases. I'm not a PvP'r, or end-gamer really, but they obviously are greatly impacted. So it first struck me as a cynical marketing strategy.

But on a little further reflection, I concluded it wasn't clear how an MMO can do otherwise. So I agree with that part of the replies here.

[tldr] Guess that just comes with the MMO territory. Accept, move on, or (as someone else mentioned) buy the $40 Amazon story pack that gives you the expansion, 2 months sub, and 2400 CC.

Still shouldn't have taken my keening :p

But keening wasn't taken away because you didn't buy the expansion.

It was taken away because of the game changing in general.

You do realize that swtors latest "expansion" is nothing compared to WOWs latest expansion right?

*SNIP!*

But this imo is a different kind of situation. It's not like BW took a bunch of new stuff and said "here, pay for this stuff and you can have it". That would be one thing, and almost understandable. If that had happened with starfighter, or strongholds I would have totally understood.

That's exactly what they did. New storyline, new levels, new content - that is "new stuff." Just because it isn't redefining gameplay, does not mean it is old.

What, in effect, has happened this time is that I have had a ton of things I value in the game TAKEN AWAY. I now cannot be max level. I cannot have top tier gear. I cannot play top tier pvp (which has honestly been my #1 preoccupation in this game since launch. I can no longer play ranked pvp.

You're right, you can't. You can have the top level 55 tier gear. You can be the old max level. But you can't have the new max level. This is not losing something, this is being unable to gain something. You have not lost your level, or your gear.

lol I have almost all play based unlocks -- Pretty much the only thing I ever sub for is ranked pvp!

Well that sucks for you, mate. Buy the expansion? You obviously don't mind shelling out cash.

Swtor has, after I just paid them $35, taken my game away from me.

No. You have the exact game you had before you subbed, and when you were 55. You've lost nothing, you simply can't gain changes.

No thanks, I don't think I will buy the expansion. And I won't obviously be subbing again. Swtor wants my business they don't need to constantly give me new stuff for free, but they sure as hell better not periodically take things I have paid for away from me unless I give them more money.

Apparently they do need to give you more stuff for free.

They're a business, why are you upset that they're trying to make money? It's not like the expansion is expensive, anyway - compared to most games, it's cheap. (Rift and WoW have outrageous Xpacs.)

Edited by jedimasterjac

As far as the price for SWTOR xpac goes its cheap. Try playing EQ2 the last xpac was $80 for poor content and the need to change ALL of your gear, stats, and weapons ingame.

Just pay your $19 and get the xpac then all will be golden once again.

Really its that easy.

Edited by denavin

When I tried Gree, it was painful as it was now designed for 60. If I was still on a PvP server, I'd get ganked much more easily.

Pretty sure there's bolster in the Gree event, i.e. your stats should be adjusted as if you were level 60. The bolster target is somewhere around basic gear though, so if you had any endgame gear before, your relative power level would be somewhat less when bolstered to higher level.

I think the OP was expecting a vastly different reaction. lol.

Rarely do we find unanimity in these forums as we are all entitled to our own opinions but in this case... lol. The OP may be mad, but I think he got the point although I doubt we will hear him again.

Wait, you have to pay for addons in WoW?

I've never heard of any you paid for, and I'm fairly certain Blizzard has a very strict policy prohibiting it.

A friend of mine in college actually created an addon that he tried to charge people to use and he ended up getting his accounts banned and cease and desist order from Blizzards legal department. His addon also required a large degree of botting on his own accounts too though, so it's hard to say which violations had which exactly penalties.

The addon was pretty clever though. It botted a player to the Auction House for both factions on every server and then used existing addons to scan the entire Auction House and log the items listed, current bids, and buyout prices. This allowed him to have a live and constant feed of all transactions in all markets on every server. Then he tried to sell access to his data as a marketing tool for anyone who wanted to play the market.

If I had to guess though, I'd say the botting process for data collection is why they banned all of his accounts, and the attempt to profit with an addon was the cause for the legal action.

There is a software utility that Curse Gaming offers that you can pay an annual subscription to use. This tool will allow you to manage the installation and updating of all of your addons, but there was a free version you could use as well. The annual sub just added some additional features that weren't available in the free version.