Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Xcore

Aye, I'm a Marauder myself and it's a nightmare.

And Force Choke is hilarious because instead of 3 seconds of CC, it only gives 1.5.

Why?

Because due to the delay, the NPC you start choking LANDS, fires off a shot or swing, then goes BACK to levitating and being choked for 1.5 seconds...

So I not only not get to properly use the ability as a 3.0 second CC, but I can't even enjoy a wholesome 3 second Force Choke animation.

Omg I feel your pain man. I really don't know what to do with my character. I've spent so much money swapping specs in hope of finding which spec has the easiest rotation for lower glitching.

They all suffer, my smashes are so random as rage, I can be right in the pack and no one gets hit, other times it goes off I fly away from cc and they still get hit, sometimes they don't.

Annihilation, leap in hit deadly saber, go for battering, find deadly saber didn't actually fire ... Range isn't working properly can't apply rupture, ravage starts jamming up. cc'd ... Dead.

As more higher level players get rolling my fun with marauder is dropping hard.

It's brutal, can't really be working as intended can it? Play a maurader this isn't cinematic combat it's pure frustration.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again, that is only a small part of the problem (or large) but how about you get Bioware to respond to this and have them say what you just said? That they'll adjust the animations?

Explain the rest of the small (or large) problems briefly. Your topic post isn't enough.

But you do have control over your charaters. You chose an ability and used it, the ability comes with an animation. They arent going to remake all the animations just for a .5 seconds that are lost, which honestly I have not even seen on my Assassin.

My combat flows together perfectly, from using backstab to my generic attack to force lightning to jolt.

I on the other hand found myself unable to use defensive cooldown at boss when it mattered because character was too busy performing parrying animation there's gazillion examples.

And conflict between core/animation causes general clunkyness of combat. It seems abilities and talents were tuned without taking animations in account.

Also it's a balance issue since classes and their mirrors have different animation timers on ability counterparts resulting in one of them becoming stronger (for no good reason)

Explain the rest of the small (or large) problems briefly. Your topic post isn't enough.

The understanding of the entire problem has been worked through and evolved within this thread, you need to "read"... and attempt to understand it with an open mind to the subject. This is a very hard to define and pinpoint issue, don't make it out to be so simplistic...

If you cannot be bothered to actually read through the very, very intelligent discussion and analysis that has been taking place over a large part of the past 200 pages then continue down your path of ignorance but please keep your arrogance from the back end of a 200+ page long thread.

You are not contributing, you are not comprehending and I am not about to "surmise" a 200 Page evolving discussion for "My special little snowflake" here...

Apologies.

I tried to "see if there is a problem" and I'm still not seeing it. Or perhaps more accurately, I've already "adapted" and so don't notice it.

Like I said 100 pages ago, I've done my combinations literally a couple hundred thousand times. I have no problem whatsoever timing things 'just right' w/o stepping on the previous move or jacking up an animation.

And as I posted 100 pages ago, I LOVE that we have actual, realistic animations in lieu of spazzy hack-n-slash anime appearance to combat animations.

Having said all that, I've only played BH Merc. And I have noticed, when I actually monitor the cast bar/cooldowns, that they sometimes do not sync with the animations. That should be tweaked and fixed IMO. But not by, in any way, making combat animations look unrealistic. I don't wanna watch anime or play an arcade game.

tldr; I liked Dragon Age Origins combat better than Dragon Age 2's combat

I have a feeling you don't know what your looking at. The BH Merc power shot definitely fires about 1.0 seconds to 0.5 seconds after the cast it done and that's a problem. When you start the cast his arms should be out charging not half way through the cast time. Instant cast seem to be works well but not well enough. When someone hits a button the move need to work IMMEDIATELY not 0.5 seconds later.

Another thing I think to know if anyone else see's this with animation like the sith warriors aoe looking like it starts then he goes back down then it starts up and finishes. It's noticeable in other abilities as well.

Edited by Littlescuba

You CANNOT QUEUE YOUR NEXT ABILITY 1.0 OR .5 SECONDS BEFORE YOU NEED IT IN PVP OR HIGH END PVE... WHY? because within that 1.0 or .5 seconds **** happens and you need to adjust, this is responsiveness...

We're not able to play like 80yr old ladies, hell lets do it a bit better. How about 10 seconds ability queue. I just kinda make a little script of 10 abilities (preferably with pathing so my character walks around a bit) and I'll set it off, grab a coke and see whats up.

Please, for the love of the force, try to comprehend.

This this this ... Something is full blown wrong when my 3 second channel animation is going off and it's not going to cooldown. Meanwhile I die in pvp or get wrecked by a boss mechanic.

If it has to do with this queuing system and is working as intended its game breaking. I don't believe this is working as intended.

Edited by Extinction

Stuff that's not on GCD like jolt (really my only example from my class and experience) work pretty well. I still move to interrupt my current cast and use it instantly, i don't really notice a difference in getting a jolt off vs. a counterspell. In PVP everything is laggy and it's hard as hell, but i think that's a different problem. I mean, in WOW it's not like mid cast of arcane explosion i could CS, same with here and jolt...

My off-GCD abilities seem to work fine _most_ of the time. Every now and then, they do fail to fire. Not sure if it's related to the OP or not, but it is what it is. In general though, arguing for a 1 sec ability queue in a reactive game environment (as the poster above did) just seemed bizarre.

I on the other hand found myself unable to use defensive cooldown at boss when it mattered because character was too busy performing parrying animation there's gazillion examples.

Yup, i got shot between casts and occasionally do some weird animation like clutching my shoulder and there's a small delay when that happens before my next cast. I think that's...working as intended.

And conflict between core/animation causes general clunkyness of combat. It seems abilities and talents were tuned without taking animations in account.

Also it's a balance issue since classes and their mirrors have different animation timers on ability counterparts resulting in one of them becoming stronger (for no good reason)

I've tanked competitively in WoW, I've tanked to 23 on Jedi Knight here, no way... this is "to me anyways" the single most hilarious example of this combat system's "failure?". A tank dying because he can't go defensive CD, because he is busy parrying... I mean comon, you can't make that up...

Fyi, there is a reason I don't play my Jedi Knight anymore, I am now much happier putting up with my Gunslinger's unresponsive cover->x ability or generally unresponsive rotation chaining, as well as the infamous Aimed Shot canceling itself halfway through animation cast for no reason, did I mention its a long f'kin cast?

The understanding of the entire problem has been worked through and evolved within this thread, you need to "read"... and attempt to understand it with an open mind to the subject. This is a very hard to define and pinpoint issue, don't make it out to be so simplistic...

If you cannot be bothered to actually read through the very, very intelligent discussion and analysis that has been taking place over a large part of the past 200 pages then continue down your path of ignorance but please keep your arrogance from the back end of a 200+ page long thread.

You are not contributing, you are not comprehending and I am not about to "surmise" a 200 Page evolving discussion for "My special little snowflake" here...

Apologies.

My god, get off your self righteous high horse. Your arrogance is astounding. I'd love to discuss this with more level headed individuals, as you are clearly not. Far from it.

My god, get off your self righteous high horse. Your arrogance is astounding. I'd love to discuss this with more level headed individuals, as you are clearly not. Far from it.

To discuss it you need an understanding, this can be gotten by reading through what previous discussions have taught us. The horse you're on, appears to be far too tall to come down from to read through this, thus... you're right, no discussion with me I suppose.

I've tanked competitively in WoW, I've tanked to 23 on Jedi Knight here, no way... this is "to me anyways" the single most hilarious example of this combat system's "failure?". A tank dying because he can't go defensive CD, because he is busy parrying... I mean comon, you can't make that up...

Fyi, there is a reason I don't play my Jedi Knight anymore, I am now much happier putting up with my Gunslinger's unresponsive cover->x ability or generally unresponsive rotation chaining, as well as the infamous Aimed Shot canceling itself halfway through animation cast for no reason, did I mention its a long f'kin cast?

A nice 3 seconds on ravage in melee range while you twirl and whirl your sabers and can't move and eat everyone's cc and burst. With level 50s premades all over the place in pvp now on my server it's a death every time .... Guaranteed.

A nice 3 seconds on ravage in melee range while you twirl and whirl your sabers and can't move and eat everyone's cc and burst. With level 50s premades all over the place in pvp now on my server it's a death every time .... Guaranteed.

At least you're twirling, my guy just looks real serious pointing his guns for about 3 seconds.

You did not come in here to talk from what I can see.

But if you take a look back at the older pages in the post the problem folks are having is clearly stated some even with videos of what the problem is.

To discuss it you need an understanding, this can be gotten by reading through what previous discussions have taught us. The horse you're on, appears to be far too tall to come down from to read through this, thus... you're right, no discussion with me I suppose.

Well excuse me for trying to gather a quick understanding. I do plan to skim through for highlights, nothing high horses at all. Especially compared to your elitist belittling and horrendous attitude displayed to multiple users (I smell a theme here). Talking to you is an egregious waste of time. I'm finished. ***** at someone else.

Well excuse me for trying to gather a quick understanding. I do plan to skim through for highlights, nothing high horses at all. Especially compared to your elitist belittling and horrendous attitude displayed to multiple users (I smell a theme here). Talking to you is an egregious waste of time. I'm finished. ***** at someone else.

Its just that after this much discussion of the subject and countless new people coming in needing explanations (even though the info is within the thread) at some point it becomes too much.

So when someone who is new to the topic comes into the thread and says:

"Yall havn' a mighty fine tread in hee, jus' poppin' awn in to see whats its all bout', can yall fill me in right quick?"

The response will be something along the lines of "Go Read P50-80" etc.

I apologies for being overly offensive, its late... I am tired and slightly annoyed with the subject at hand itself...

I do apologize Solevillain and I hope you do skim through a bit and then ask away, I promise to be less of an *** and there are many far more intelligent and nice people part of this thread who will likely answer much better.

Its just that after this much discussion of the subject and countless new people coming in needing explanations (even though the info is within the thread) at some point it becomes too much.

"Yall havn' a mighty fine tread in hee, jus' poppin' awn in to see whats its all bout', can yall fill me in right quick?"

I apologies for being overly offensive, its late... I am tired and slightly annoyed with the subject at hand itself...

I do apologize Solevillain and I hope you do skim through a bit and then ask away, I promise to be less of an *** and there are many far more intelligent and nice people part of this thread who will likely answer much better.

I found this thread because, I read the title and thought ... Omg .. I'm not going crazy here and its my connection, system whatever.

If you are experiencing this issue you will know, how could you not know?

It wasn't an issue farming quests and doing the story. But when I got into pvp and hard modes it's game breaking.

No worries, once I get the time to gather an understanding, I'll hold you to it.;)

It's endlessly frustrating to be spamming an ability (which is lit up and ready to go) and having the game wait a full second to execute it. It's just as annoying to be spamming an ability which is supposedly unaffected by the global cooldown, but yet you are forced to wait until your current animation finishes before the new ability will trigger.

As a healer, I can say that I've failed to keep my group alive on more than one occasion because of this very issue. When you can only cast your 2 second heal every 3 seconds, you become a sub-par healer regardless of player skill.

-Macheath.