We Need a Dedicated PvP Team

SlightlySychotic

To those who don't know, SWTOR does not actually have a PvP team: it has a combat team. Once, that might have seemed sensible -- who better to design PvP than the team that is in charge of what PvP is made of? However, it's become increasingly clear that the combat team simply can't keep up with combat balance and the increasing needs of the player community. It's been over a year since the last actual piece of new content was added (not counting seasonal rewards) and as of right now the only officially confirmed update coming to PvP is "more balancing updates." Simply put, the community needs more.

Just to be clear, I'm not just talking about new war zones and arenas. PvP has gone without simple maintenance for far too long. There are still weapons available on the fleet vendors with insufficient expertise on them which, if worn, would be actually detrimental to any player engaging in PvP; they need to be updated or removed. Bolster is currently counter-intuitive -- higher-level PvP gear is dramatically weaker than pre-60 pieces -- and if there is one thing that Bolster needs to be, it's intuitive. Match-making in solo is a joke, creating teams of similarly ranked players rather than matching them against similarly ranked players creating matches that are inherently lopsided and far less balanced than random chance alone would allow. These are all major issues that need to be addressed.

I'm sorry, but the combat team has proved that they can't keep up with the needs of the player base, that they are overwhelmed just trying to balance the game. We need a team that's invested in not only growing PvP but maintaining it. One that will preferably listen to the feedback of the player base and act accordingly.

To those who don't know, SWTOR does not actually have a PvP team: it has a combat team. Once, that might have seemed sensible -- who better to design PvP than the team that is in charge of what PvP is made of? However, it's become increasingly clear that the combat team simply can't keep up with combat balance and the increasing needs of the player community. It's been over a year since the last actual piece of new content was added (not counting seasonal rewards) and as of right now the only officially confirmed update coming to PvP is "more balancing updates." Simply put, the community needs more.

Just to be clear, I'm not just talking about new war zones and arenas. PvP has gone without simple maintenance for far too long. There are still weapons available on the fleet vendors with insufficient expertise on them which, if worn, would be actually detrimental to any player engaging in PvP; they need to be updated or removed. Bolster is currently counter-intuitive -- higher-level PvP gear is dramatically weaker than pre-60 pieces -- and if there is one thing that Bolster needs to be, it's intuitive. Match-making in solo is a joke, creating teams of similarly ranked players rather than matching them against similarly ranked players creating matches that are inherently lopsided and far less balanced than random chance alone would allow. These are all major issues that need to be addressed.

I'm sorry, but the combat team has proved that they can't keep up with the needs of the player base, that they are overwhelmed just trying to balance the game. We need a team that's invested in not only growing PvP but maintaining it. One that will preferably listen to the feedback of the player base and act accordingly.

/signed

Hey folks!

Other Content (PvP/PvE)

The PVP team is as busy as ever. We aren’t ready to talk about what they are working on. Please remember that this is not a comprehensive list of the whole year, or even beyond then!

-eric

Don't worry guys, it says there's a PVP team! And this post was in Feb. so something huuuuge must be about to drop!

huehuehuehue

Edited by Joesixxpack

Don't worry guys, it says there's a PVP team! And this post was in Feb. so something huuuuge must be about to drop!

huehuehuehue

Yeah, as busy as those guys have been since launch, if they're "busy as ever", we can expect a new Warzone sometime by the end of next year!!! The guys on the "team" are hard working and dedicated individuals who bust their humps for us...we should show patience knowing they're working as hard as ever...:rolleyes:

Agreed. There are a lot of things that a pvp team could do. For example, in eve online, the devs host an annual pvp tournament that goes on for a couple of days. They stream it, have announcers, the whole nine yards. It's a really exciting event. They give out some unique prizes that are created just for this tournament.

Tournament info here: http://community.eveonline.com/community/alliance-tournament/

I don't see why we can't have an annual 4v4 tournament that is hosted by devs and streamed. Then again, once the winning teams are all double hatred, the balance issues might become painfully obvious and they would be forced to address them....oh, I get it now.

Edited by teclado

Agreed.

We need PvP content. PvE things just run out, battles in a balanced system lasts longer.

The game was a model before. It entertained various kinds of player. And it needs to look for PvPers if it pretends to survive this stillness.

Edited by leonlotus

Here's the thing that gets me: why don't we have a PvP daily area similar to the Gree event? We've had five new daily areas added since they added the Gree event (six if you count Rishi); why hasn't one of those planets had a daily area where you can do a few PvP quests? Why not add a few quests to Tattooine where you can earn war zone comms for completing missions in Outlaws Den? It's a no brainer. It's things like that more than anything that tell me the "PvP" team is too focused on class balance to make rational decisions.

Here's the thing that gets me: why don't we have a PvP daily area similar to the Gree event? We've had five new daily areas added since they added the Gree event (six if you count Rishi); why hasn't one of those planets had a daily area where you can do a few PvP quests? Why not add a few quests to Tattooine where you can earn war zone comms for completing missions in Outlaws Den? It's a no brainer. It's things like that more than anything that tell me the "PvP" team is too focused on class balance to make rational decisions.

Because noone would go there. And you would complain that they're wasting time with crap like PvP daily areas when they should be giving you cross-server queues.

Because noone would go there. And you would complain that they're wasting time with crap like PvP daily areas when they should be giving you cross-server queues.

Dude, I gave up on cross server queue six months before most people did. That's not even the PvP team's call when you stop and think about.

Besides, literally anything this game adds is going to be called a waste of time by somebody. You need thick when you're a developer.

even i would love it to happen but i think it is a slight posibilties, guys we need to face it. This game is pve games a rpg with some mmo element in it

even this games is pve games , did you know how long they fix the coratanni bug ? so what chances they will improve so much in pvp , so dont hold your breath

bioware dont have the rsources or the willingness to do , if you look at their point of view if you invest something you expect to get the profit back and the pvpers in swtor is merely a fraction of the total population , if you are the dev you maybe think the same

at the end i would suggest we dont take things too seriously , i mean lets enjoy the game with all its flaw if you still can enjoy it if not you dont have to play this game ( no one force you to)

sure we still hope pvp would improve somehow but it is what it is so take it or leave it

cross server is a no from them , they said it loud and clear so just scrap the idea rather than repeating again and again , they already said no

this is just my opinion

Edited by KumbayaGOD

The naivete here makes me a little sad for you guys :(

Please understand that what remains of this game is really simply a front for pushing and selling Cartel Market items. Thats it. There really isnt anything else of substance beyond the cursory expected things that BW simply must produce to continue to call this shopfront a game.

PVP has never been a primary concern for them, even when the game was soley subscription based.

I'm sorry that you guys are all still operating under the illusion that this facet of the game is anything at all that BW will pay more than lip service towards, but it simply isnt the case.

There is a veritable mountain of evidence for this from numerous instances for a very long time. I mean to simply take one, when was the last time anything of actual meaning was said or address about pvp by any BW member in the many interviews/forums/cantina events. The questions about the state of pvp are not even able to get through the vetting process.

This is not me being bitter and twisted about the whole thing, its simply a mildly disappointing fact that this is really all we are likely to be able to expect from this game in a pvp sense until the Cartel cow runs dry and they shut it down.

This game is in Maintenance Mode PvP-wise and has been since the middle of last year. Expect no Dev attention, development resources, or anything beyond basic bug fixes and balancing (lawl) changes from here on out. Maybe PvP will get a new Arena or WZ map in the next expansion if there is a major astronomical event before the launch

Otherwise, just have what fun you can until December. That's about the time the remainder of what meager PvP population is remaining will bolt for Star Wars Battlefront 3.

I just don't buy into the PvP pity party. Want to see abandoned? Take a look at GSF. They haven't had a significant update in almost a year. The last time they had a gold post on their forum it was acknowledging a bug, one that wouldn't be fixed for almost two months. They don't even put GSF drops in cartel packs anymore. That's abandoned. And do you know how much money they spent on GSF?

No, I look at the state of PvP and see a team that's overwhelmed trying to balance around arenas (sisiphean task that that is). We need a dedicated team focused on new content and fixing the things that don't work the way they should.

"Combat team"... "PvP Team"...

A team? What team? Do you really believe in "Combat team"?

There is only one person in all these teams - Mr. Metrics. And he can't handle two jobs. Sorry about that.

Agreed. There are a lot of things that a pvp team could do. For example, in eve online, the devs host an annual pvp tournament that goes on for a couple of days. They stream it, have announcers, the whole nine yards. It's a really exciting event. They give out some unique prizes that are created just for this tournament.

Tournament info here: http://community.eveonline.com/community/alliance-tournament/

I don't see why we can't have an annual 4v4 tournament that is hosted by devs and streamed. Then again, once the winning teams are all double hatred, the balance issues might become painfully obvious and they would be forced to address them....oh, I get it now.

I like those ideas but it would take lots of time and $$ for BW to upgrade the engine and the entire game to make something like this viable. It's corporate America, they wont spend any more $$ than they have to. They have spread sheets and pie charts to guide their way.

Sorry, missed this comment earlier:

Why would you not count seasonal rewards?

To be fair, that is one of two things I can point to as proof that we are not abandoned (the other is clear PvP balancing changes). The problem is that I'm pretty sure it's the art department handles most of the heavy lifting their since nearly all the rewards are cosmetic. They probably submit concept art proposals and the PvP/Combat team choose their favorites.