The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

So Bioware, about people bypassing the locked part on Ziost to fight the OP Boss etc.

MeNaCe-NZ

Excellent request! I am happy to report that throughout the whole weekend we had exactly zero new exploiters. We really can't express how happy we are to see that all of our players continued to play fair and without the use of an exploit. In the future, it will continue to be our goal to respond to, and act quickly to curb use of any exploit. A special thank you to all of you who avoided this issue and to everyone who reported this to us privately. Get back to leveling!

-eric

Eric, I don't know if you can do this but can you give us a number ? I would love to know how many in total were exploiting.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent request! I am happy to report that throughout the whole weekend we had exactly zero new exploiters. We really can't express how happy we are to see that all of our players continued to play fair and without the use of an exploit. In the future, it will continue to be our goal to respond to, and act quickly to curb use of any exploit. A special thank you to all of you who avoided this issue and to everyone who reported this to us privately. Get back to leveling!

-eric

Well done guys!!! I'm certain you've surprised (pleasantly so) more than just me with your swift and amazingly transparent response to this!!! Well handled and awesome work!

I don't see why all you people are so eager to make it seem like this was anything but Bioware's fault for not paying attention to their PTS forums or the internet in general.

They knew how to get to this area and put it in video format long before 3.2 was released. BW banning people for taking advantage of something they allowed to be exploitable and didn't do anything about despite being aware of the issue is not the players' fault.

Quit giving them props for screwing up.

I'm giving them props for moving quickly and communicating perfectly on this. The "screw up" is bound to happen...a few Devs can't ever be expected to figure out what 500,000 players may try, so you need to cut them slack on that.

Well done guys!!! I'm certain you've surprised (pleasantly so) more than just me with your swift and amazingly transparent response to this!!! Well handled and awesome work!

I am pretty sure this is one of the seven signs of the apocalypse. :p jkjk

I don't see why all you people are so eager to make it seem like this was anything but Bioware's fault for not paying attention to their PTS forums or the internet in general.

They knew how to get to this area and put it in video format long before 3.2 was released. BW banning people for taking advantage of something they allowed to be exploitable and didn't do anything about despite being aware of the issue is not the players' fault.

I'm giving them props for moving quickly and communicating perfectly on this. The "screw up" is bound to happen...a few Devs can't ever be expected to figure out what 500,000 players may try, so you need to cut them slack on that.

Not to mention the reported way in from the PTS was patched this was a way in that was either not reported or found on the live server. It's not like they put a red gate letting you know you shouldn't go there or anything.

Have you even tracked this thread? The report is that there were two paths to the cross the barrier. One path was reported on the PTS and was fixed for live. The second path was undiscovered, thus unreported, and went without a fix.

Exploit was discovered on live and their reaction to it has been excellent. The response time was same-day; the "punishments" matched the infraction very reasonably.

I'm sorry but coming off the issues of the Ravager's handling, this shows a level of care and swiftness that you want to see from the Community Manager and Dev team.

Can't really compare the actions between the 2 exploits. Ravengers, while worse IMO, was a final warning/tone setting for the actions to come for future. This one showed that they will now deal with it more swiftly and remove the gains attributed to the exploit. The tone has beens et for future incidents.

Can't really compare the actions between the 2 exploits. Ravengers, while worse IMO, was a final warning/tone setting for the actions to come for future. This one showed that they will now deal with it more swiftly and remove the gains attributed to the exploit. The tone has beens et for future incidents.

True, but actions speak louder than words...and they acted PERFECTLY on this!

I'm comparing reaction time and equivalence between the infraction and the response. On those marks, this was handled about as well as it could be.

-eric

Quick and decisive action and most importantly, Bans, go a long way to deter people from trying to gain an unfair advantage over others. Very well done, really pleased that this was handled so quickly. This is the kind of solid leadership that makes PVE and PVP a better and more fair gaming environment for everyone, banning exploiters and trolls alike. Keep it up!! :i_wink:

You do realize Bioware did act on what was said on the PTS right? They closed the original entrance to the area but then players found another way in. At that point it's on the players because if they knew Bioware closed off the original entrance, then they KNEW they shouldn't be there.

They need to test their content more. As soon as it became clear that players could get past the locked gate, they should have taken more precautions then just "oh that's the one way they found, they're too stupid to find another."

Punishing players when they did not finish their work is a complete joke. Thankfully I have moved on to FFXIV, where there are probably 4 times as many QA testers and much more competent team leads. EA has no excuse not to staff and expect much more from their studios, especially in an IP that is currently front page news every day of the week.

Guys this is a pawn shop tier MMO. WoW is Wal-Mart tier.

Expect quite a bit of screwups like this and, most hilariously, you being blamed for it.

Edited by JMCA

They need to test their content more. As soon as it became clear that players could get past the locked gate, they should have taken more precautions then just "oh that's the one way they found, they're too stupid to find another."

Punishing players when they did not finish their work is a complete joke. Thankfully I have moved on to FFXIV, where there are probably 4 times as many QA testers and much more competent team leads. EA has no excuse not to staff and expect much more from their studios, especially in an IP that is currently front page news every day of the week.

Expect quite a bit of screwups like this and, most hilariously, you being blamed for it.

I don't see why you harbor such anger. This is a game. When it stops being fun you stop playing it and stop subbing. I am honestly glad for you finding FFXIV. Enjoy your new game in good health.

"Look, if they didn't want me stabbing them, they should have run faster. Don't you see how they provoked me by not fighting back hard enough?"

"Look, if they didn't want me stabbing them, they should have run faster. Don't you see how they provoked me by not fighting back hard enough?"

"Why should we finish making content if we can rally the playerbase on our side by punishing people who take advantage of our mistakes? If it's that easy to get morons to white knight on the forums and drown out any accountability to our mistakes then let's keep doing it!!!"

"Why should we finish making content if we can rally the playerbase on our side by punishing people who take advantage of our mistakes? If it's that easy to get morons to white knight on the forums and drown out any accountability to our mistakes then let's keep doing it!!!"

Need a tissue?

lol

You know name calling really isn't called for nor is questioning peoples intelligence. The devs fixed the problems presented to them from the PTS. From there the patch went live. Players exploited to get into the area and it was reported to the devs. At this point the dev team quickly decided to give a light slap on the wrist to the people that bypassed the blocks and told the community at large that it was an exploit and would be punishable for further exploration. Some were defiant and got bigger bans. The devs did what they had to do to protect the game content and release cycle as they had planned. At the point the patch went live the only other option would have been to pull the content from the game and roll back the patch. So the choice they made was to let most of their player base keep the new content instead of taking away all of the content because some couldn't wait. Had the other exploit been presented from the month of testing on the PTS I'm sure it would have been fixed but it was not reported.

I am still curious what has you so passionate about this incident that you have to rage against your fellow gamers and the creators of the game.

Their official statement that is was indeed an exploit makes irrelevant every attempt to justify using it. It does not matter what the devs did or did not do. They said it was an exploit. Anyone using it is subject to whatever punishment is doled out. Edited by iacon

News flash... they did test it... ways were found into the area... they were patched before they went live... THEN people found another way in... The devs gave a slap on the wrist and said "this is an exploit do not do it!!!!!!" THEN people kept doing it and they got slammed.

So it was NOT severly punishing people for BW mistakes... it was punishing people first mildly and then more harshly who gosh damn knew it was an exploit.

You rationalization of "punishing people for their mistakes amounts to "hey look this guy left his car unlocked... let me take the change in the cup holder and his Garmin GPS... his mistake."