Why I believe that 12x class experience is a really, really bad idea.

HaoZhao

That cost is being reduced in 3.2. It will be 2 comms per mod, including armoring and barrels, all the way to 55. This is what is on the PTS right now.

Has there been any indication that the reduced cost or the increased comms WILL be going live? I'm not saying they won't, but I won't assume that they will, either.

Not everything on the PTS makes it to live.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has there been any indication that the reduced cost or the increased comms WILL be going live? I'm not saying they won't, but I won't assume that they will, either.

Do you still think the Earth is flat, too, Ratajack?

You make absolutely zero percent sense in your main post.

Warzone and PvP generally is a very small part of the game. So you having to wait for 10-29 warzones as an argument is absolutely ridiculous. You get PvP nevertheless if you're level 10 or 60.

Secondly. Waiting for FPs through group queue is as well just wasting time and effort. I was waiting for a queue for 30 minutes and in 30 minutes, you can manage to get from one level to another without x12 EXP, so another argument invalid.

I played the game since launch, and that is soon 4 years ago. Until BioWare is going to accept server transfer EU to US and vice versa, they can give me x12 EXP boost. I am an adult and I have work and other responsibilities which you may not have, but I can only spare in a few hours a week to play, and if I want to use those few hours of playing to get from level 30 to level 50 I would.

Due to my new work routines, I am unable to get onto the current server that I play on when it is really active. And if I need to sit down and level another character from 1 to 60 within months, then I will simply leave the game, because I've done all stories for each character, I have more than 20 level 60s on that server I am playing on, and I wish to transfer them to a different server within a different region.

To be honest, if losing players because you can't queue up for a FP for level 20 or a warzone from level 10-29, then it really says itself what BW should prioritize. And that is not your ridiculous arguement.

The queue will be much shorter if everyone had the same level. Ranked PvP wouldn't take so long, warzones wouldn't take so long, FPs and OPS wouldn't take so long. So EVERYTHING you've said in this topic makes ZERO SENSE.

I personally don't know, but from what I saw the comms vendors are being significantly re-organized. It seems a bit of a thorough change to just get scrapped before live, but we shall see.

None of my chars ever needed to group to finish their storyline.

Q to the mother *********** E. And to DW, yes. The side and planetary quest are overrated. I have ten maxed level characters and have been playing since beta. I've done every quest there is while levelling multiple times. Sorry I don't share your love of the side quests. I welcome 12x xp with all of its side quest skipping glory.

All you've done in this thread is be sarky and nasty to people. How about an answer, if you're so smart?

Ratajack started it in the original 12x thread, my friend, though it was uncalled of me to be like that to you, yeah.

But, uh, seriously, a google search would work. Or like, looking at the multiple threads in the front page.

They confirmed 12x in Cantina.

doing anything like double xp or this is a awful idea.

more games need to slow down the rate of xp. look at ultima online it took players years to master skills or swg where one had to work in order to gain skills. adding xp systems like this just allows for more people who don't know how to play something to hit max level/skill and then they have no idea what they are doing, then leave thanks to that.

That was in an age in the past. Look at any game that now comes out that has major exp grinds. They fail within a few months. You can't have large grinds like that anymore. "Korean Grinder" is a term that is used for them and it's not an endearing term.

Edited by Rhyltran

That was in an age in the past. Look at any game that now comes out that has major exp grinds. They fail within a few months. You can't have large grinds like that anymore. "Korean Grinder" is a term that is used for them and it's not an endearing term.

To be fair you still need some checks on progression as otherwise players will consume to the content.

And before one of you content locusts says anything, no not everyone has 22 level 60s, and believe it or not there are these things called "new players" that haven't seen every planetary quest 20 times.

I'm not saying they shouldn't put in xp boosts, but xp boosts should be gated heavily so that players, especially the new ones don't consume content too fast.

To be fair you still need some checks on progression as otherwise players will consume to the content.

And before one of you content locusts says anything, no not everyone has 22 level 60s, and believe it or not there are these things called "new players" that haven't seen every planetary quest 20 times.

I'm not saying they shouldn't put in xp boosts, but xp boosts should be gated heavily so that players, especially the new ones don't consume content too fast.

Agreed @ gated.

That depends and I addressed it in one of my former posts. We don't have this data but bioware does. How many new players actually join? If new players check the game out due to 12x Exp bonus these are new players who my potentially stay. If, without this incentive, hardly any new people are joining then there's a clear problem. There's no issue of a new person clearing content too fast if there's not enough new people to join to begin with. Let me throw out some ******** statistics that will hopefully showcase my point a bit better.

Let's assume for a moment that every month about 20 people try the game. Of these 20 people 10 will stay. So we have 50% of the people who join stay (chances are more than 20 join and less than 50% actually stay but just bare with me.) Then let's assume with 12x boost about 500 people decide to try the game. If even 10% of them stay we have more people in the end than we did otherwise. The drop off rate might be much larger but if there's enough trying out the game and staying to offset that then in the long run 12x exp is helping the game's longevity.

As mentioned, Bioware has this data. They used 12xp then turned it off for a few months. They saw how many left and how many stayed as well as how many tried the game out because of it. Based on this data they believe they should add it in indefinitely. I don't mean to talk for bioware but I think it's very likely quite a few of those people stayed and it was better for the game.

By the way it is gated. Those that are interested in the game enough to pay get to have 12xp. Those that don't won't have it. You have to be a subscriber to have access to the buff. So if someone tries out the game and then decides to pay for the buff they liked the game enough to feel the 12x boost was worth buying. Even if they don't stay these people most likely wouldn't have given the game a chance in the first place but this time they still contributed something to the game during their brief stay.

Edited by Rhyltran

My 2 cents...

I don't queue for anything, I only run content with my guild. I have 16 characters, I'm tired of repeating side missions.

Sure, they should've made it optional, but they haven't, better to have it than not.

I agree...working on character 21. I run with my guild. I've done the planet missions too many times. I did read they were thinking of 12x xp class missions would be a subscriber perk and there would be an ability in preferences to click it off.

For the more dedicated players, likely the people that buy the most cartel coins and many of whom have been here since the launch days, this is a great feature.

Why? It keeps people playing that might otherwise give up at this point.

PvE endgame, at least in my opinion, is at its lowest point since the game's launch. PvP can be fun, but I play casually and that leaves lvl 60 PvP on my server as not very practical - even with a full set of min/maxed Tier 1 gear, you regularly go up against pre-made Tier 2 teams in regular WZs, which is simply not enjoyable. Again, this is my opinion.

What does that leave? Daily areas, and low level questing and PvP.

If you have as many characters as what I am assuming BW's own metrics are telling them, it is a lot harder to get through leveling these days, when you've been through each faction's world and side quests so many times. Lowbie PvP can still be fun, but it's more of a side-game for many players, myself included.

So a 12x xp buff to allow for leveling a few other characters, without the hassle of the time it normally takes, is a great subscriber perk for us. It might also encourage taking up other roles at level cap - of all my characters, none of them has ever tried healing. Maybe I might level a character for that purpose.

For newer players that aren't in the same situation, I hope there is a way to turn off the extra experience gain. But, again, BW has the metrics on how many of these folks there are, and how much revenue they contribute. I suspect this offer wouldn't be made to subscribers if the situation I've described for my account isn't quite common.

Edited by arunav

A completely terrible argument that has exactly zero thought put into it. Yes, you could choose to not partake in the 12x experience, at which point you wait around in the flash point queue for a pop that's never going to come, because no one is queuing up for flash points as everyone is getting more EXP from class quests with a fraction of the effort.

People aren't queing for the regular flashpoints during leveling anyway, so what's the difference? KDY has completely destroyed that aspect of the game.

I've spent the past few days of 2x XP leveling some new toons, frankly 2x general XP is almost as good as 12x class XP, because it works for everything (the daily missions for GSF/WZ pay XP very well for example).

What's the goal for 12x experience, anyway?

Leveling another class without having to repeat the same planet quests over and over, they get old since they are just fetch quests.

When it comes down to it, BioWare is encouraging people to avoid group play from levels 1 to 60.

This game hasn't been about group play from 1-50 since KDY came out, frankly it hasn't been that way since launch, the whole design of the game is against it.

I actually like the 12 xp boost because it made my class story actually "flow" instead of finishing one quest and then having to do a whole bunch of side quests, a million warzones, and the KDY grind. It was nice being able to finish a planet or a quest and then move right to the next thing instead of doing a week of other mindless leveling.

Never had this problem myself. But I'm a bit OCD with how I play this game. First, I explore the entire map of every planet picking up all the lore objects and codex entires. I have their locations memorized from doing this across multiple characters, then I do all the planetary quests. Then I go back onto my ship and begin my class quests for that planet. ((and if the planet has a bonus series I do that afterwards)) And I've been playing that way since... August 2013? Somewhere in there. Granted, I'd love to be able to skip doing all the side quests at this point with 12xP as I have seen them all.

Now as for the other comments I've seen here about how people playing alone from 1-60 hurting the game. I've always played solo since I started in early January following launch. And from what I can tell 95% of my guild plays this way too. Now, this isn't because I don't like the groups... its just they require much more effort. Even just laying with 1 other person. By playing alone, 1-60, I can go at my own pace in my own time and be content. No stress, no pressure.

So, all in all. 12 xP is back, and I'm excited. :)

I gotta say, I've got 4 new alts lined up and ready to go on this. Class/race/gender combinations I haven't played before. I've been playing since beta, and I'm finding there's still content I haven't seen. And by content, I mean dialogue lines, NPC responses to class/race/gender combos, etc.

That's what I consider content, anyway.

if you don't already have a 60, you should be barred from 12xp. Period.

Assuming you're not making a joke, what would be the point, since that would defeat the purpose of 12x XP?

Now as for the other comments I've seen here about how people playing alone from 1-60 hurting the game. I've always played solo since I started in early January following launch. And from what I can tell 95% of my guild plays this way too. Now, this isn't because I don't like the groups... its just they require much more effort. Even just laying with 1 other person. By playing alone, 1-60, I can go at my own pace in my own time and be content. No stress, no pressure.

Exactly so. Playing solo probably never has anything to do with being actively asocial. It's simply more convenient. No one typing "spcbar plz!" for example, or getting their panties in a twist because you want to harvest every defeated strong droid.

Edited by branmakmuffin

Assuming you're not making a joke, what would be the point, since that would defeat the purpose of 12x XP?

Tell me something what players don't already have a 60?

The brand new ones don't. And the brand news ones should be taking extra long to level so that when they hit 60 they have gained enough experience. The problem with super leveling is that you end up with a bunch of players hitting endgame without having the skillset necessary to be useful at endgame, and then they quit because they hit a skill wall.

Seriously It's bad enough dealing with all the KDY graduates spamming autoattack repeatedly for an opener.

The only players that 12xp will be good for are the ones that have already completed all of the planetary content before.

Edited by Zoom_VI