Rift - debut 9 months before SWTOR, has much lower pop... yet has cross-server LOLz

Feztonio

I just paid my 2-month subscription renewal yesterday (Friday - 5pm or so eastern us), logged in, and que'd up pvp. sitting waiting on a que pop as each minute ticks by I get progressively more and more annoyed.

while waiting to get the que in the game I am a subscriber since launch of and just a few moments prior paid for the next 2 months, I fire up Rift - the game I never subbed and can play fully as F2P. logged in, que'd a warzone (their pvp) and within 60 seconds got a que pop.

pvp'ing Rift while still waiting on SWTOR. Rift - with it's significantly lower player populations and a game that came out a full 9 months before SWTOR has cross server! you can also server transfer as often and much as you want for free so you can find people to play with.

I don't even like Rift. I like SWTOR and am firmly planted in the Star Wars universe. what I like even less though is sitting in que on an MMORPG on a Friday eve and struggling to find pvp matches.

Edited by Feztonio

definitely not defending swtor's lack of x-server. it's something pretty basic/fundamental, but I'm curious why you emphasize the 9 month gap?

I emphasize the 9 month gap because both games came out the same year, and at the same time RIFT came out first. as we all know, in software, games, electronics, etc... products that come out later typically have more functionality and better processes, and systems than their predecessors. RIFT came out first, SWTOR after it. theoretically SWTOR should have more and better quality of life coded into it; and yet it does not. if anything, games that pre-date SWTOR - and not just RIFT, WOW, EQ/EQ2 had or have much more progressive and "newer" systems in place.

we all know it - it just really hit home when I paid the sub yesterday, then logged in just to sit and wait, NOT playing. I paid 29.99 to sit in a que; I could have went to the bank and stood in a que for free yesterday, yet I paid 30 dollars so I could do it online.

as I said I want to play SWTOR... the waiting around not actively playing due to waiting for the game mechanics to "allow" and invite me to a pvp match can be enraging; especially in light of everyone knowing there is a better model - the cross server que system - currently out in the MMO world and that SWTOR just refuses to join the 21st century (yes I am aware they claim it's impossible with their tech - I also know that the games I mentioned above have even older tech than SWTOR - and they manage it to varying degrees).

Preach on brotha!

It's hilarious that they keep hiding behind "community identity" as another reason for the lack of cross server or mega servers. :rolleyes:

It really makes you wonder who put the kibosh on cross server at game design, considering that ESO uses the HERO engine and has mega server capabilities...

Preach on brotha!

It's hilarious that they keep hiding behind "community identity" as another reason for the lack of cross server or mega servers. :rolleyes:

It really makes you wonder who put the kibosh on cross server at game design, considering that ESO uses the HERO engine and has mega server capabilities...

"community identity" is rather ambigious, but there are legitimate concerns about the effects of cross - server on any type of pug gametype. Basically when you go cross server any sort of player accountability goes out the window.

After all why would I care if I totally piss off the rest of my team if I'm never going to encounter most off them again?

The only part of PvP that work best with cross server is team ranked where the aforementioned isn't an issue.

as we all know, in software, games, electronics, etc... products that come out later typically have more functionality and better processes, and systems than their predecessors.
Well you should know that we are talking about bioware here... Look at Dragon Age and Mass Effect. They prove the opposite.

"community identity" is rather ambigious, but there are legitimate concerns about the effects of cross - server on any type of pug gametype. Basically when you go cross server any sort of player accountability goes out the window.

After all why would I care if I totally piss off the rest of my team if I'm never going to encounter most off them again?

The only part of PvP that work best with cross server is team ranked where the aforementioned isn't an issue.

Valid point...

My counter to that is...this is the internet, most people really don't care what the other person on the end of the monitor thinks of the other.

Maybe that's too broad of a statement, but I certainly don't care. I'd much rather have faster queue times across all levels of PVP so I can hop on and have fun PVPing when I want.

I can not speak for myself with regards to your ranked comment, as i am a casual and have yet to get a toon ranked ready, but QUITE often, I hear people on both factions spamming fleet for people to queue ranked.....so I'll have to politely disagree that ranked queue times are not an issue.

Preach on brotha!

ESO doesn't use Hero Engine

pvp'ing Rift while still waiting on SWTOR. Rift - with it's significantly lower player populations and a game that came out a full 9 months before SWTOR has cross server! you can also server transfer as often and much as you want for free so you can find people to play with.

Rift, FFXI, DCU, ArcheAge, WildStar, Tera, Aion, Lineage II and Guild Wars are sitting at solid 500k - 1million at peak times.

GW2, SWtOR hold a solid 2-4million population

WoW holding a beefy 10-12million population

FFXIV: ARRB now holds the highest population world wide at 20-25+ million active subs

Each game offers their own unique feature to stand out among the rest; as well adopt features from other games to attract new players and introduce new concepts.

The complaint shouldn't bet that (X) game has had (Y) feature so (Z) game should have it too. The true complaint should be is that BioWare is refusing to utilize the game engine that can stand toe to toe with the most average and popular game engines in the market.

Hero Engine has already proved that it can and is a powerful gaming engine; and it can cross bread and adopt features from other games. For example; FFXIV: ARRB uses their combat and class settings from their orginial SE Engine that powered FFXI and combined it with the Hero Engine to allow their very similar melee / ranged combat system to be effective.

Including, FFXIV is doing a massive overhual again in their upcoming patches. Zones in ARRB are similar to SWtOR zones, can only go in designated areas on the map with loading screens.Over the next two years they will be removing loading screens and map barriers, breaking out from the Sandbox and introducing themepark style open world exploration. Just by utilizing the Hero Engine's power SE will be Introducing Open World Exploration, Flight, World Wide Multi Server crossing (You can Visit EU, Asian and Oceanic Servers to team up with friends and family) and Cross Server PvP, Raids and Instances / Dungeons. With Simpler Crafting and still maintaining actual class balance across any and all class combinations while using Hero Engine as well.

SWtOR uses the exact same engine; BioWare can open all these features already set in the game engine; and move away from being slightly above average game to being a very noticeable contender again.

Yolo ranked should not exist without cross server. It is laughably easy to q sync even during primetime on most servers. I knew the low pop side on my server (pub) was easy to q sync but I found out this season that many of the regulars on the higher pop side (imp) q sync as well. I even found out that several imps were just alts of the known pub q sync guild.

I was doing rather well and noticing that the regular imp players would usually end up on the same team and seemed to work together but I didn't think much of it. Then I got invited to join their raid group to q sync and it was most of the higher rated players I knew on the server. I quit ranked after that and I don't even play the game much anymore (there goes my 100+ a month in cartel coins bw!)

Cross server would get rid of issues like q syncing and actually make ranked much more fair. Yolo isn't about getting the best players it is about lowering your chances of getting a terrible player. When you q sync you at least do this.

Yolo without x server is a complete joke.

Yolo ranked without cross-faction is a joke. The faction divide is what is hold yolo down, cross - server would just be a weak Band-Aid fix

We really need both. But merges and x-faction would be ok assuming there are still any pvpers left when they get around to implementing them.

Edited by Savej

Cross-faction, no way, the entire Star Wars Universe is built on Jedi vs. Sith (Imps vs Reps/Rebels, whatever), even the whole Revan cooperation stuff made me chuckle.

Cross-server: PVP would be completely fixed.

Would jedi ever in a million years play huttball? Also, ranked is the same as huttball lore wise so at least cross faction for ranked and hball

If they did cross faction and cross server they may have enough people to make an hball only q as well. I would LOVE that.

Edited by DarthRaika

1) We don't have any servers to gain much benefit from cross server. There are six east coast servers and that might be the bare minimum to yield a noticeable impact. Every other region/language only has three. Honest question: how much would tripling the number of ranked teams on your server actually help? No, I don't think you can just link the east and west coast servers without causing substantial lag and I know mixing the different language servers together would be a bad idea.

2) Any benefit gained from cross server would be temporary at best. Eventually, one faction would start to lose more and its population would atrophy as players either give up or begin to play the winning faction. That makes it easier to queue sync. The same thing would happen with group ranked: as a dominant team becomes apparent the remaining teams will either cease to queue or dodge better teams.

3) We're supposedly getting mega-servers in the Fall, anyway. This should grant the same benefits as cross-server … as well as the same drawbacks.

I just paid my 2-month subscription renewal yesterday (Friday - 5pm or so eastern us), logged in, and que'd up pvp. sitting waiting on a que pop as each minute ticks by I get progressively more and more annoyed.

while waiting to get the que in the game I am a subscriber since launch of and just a few moments prior paid for the next 2 months, I fire up Rift - the game I never subbed and can play fully as F2P. logged in, que'd a warzone (their pvp) and within 60 seconds got a que pop.

I don't even like Rift. I like SWTOR and am firmly planted in the Star Wars universe. what I like even less though is sitting in que on an MMORPG on a Friday eve and struggling to find pvp matches.

Cross servers will never happen for two reasons

1) Entertainment Arts is greedy ***** F*Ck.

2) SWTOR engine won't be able to handle it.

Conclusion: suck it up, or unsub. Sadly...

Sauce:rak_02::rak_02:

Gah, I re-edited that bit once too many times; it should have said "rumor has it" instead of "supposedly." I originally saw it posted in a thread on the off-topic forum, asked for a source myself, but never got one. I've just seen it tossed around so much that I eventually gave up and assumed I missed something. I do recall part of a roadmap where they said they were reassessing how they approach character identity and play style; I think most people took that to imply mega servers … although it could mean cross faction as well, from a certain point of view.