Is PVP even worth trying?

Allamirr

The other day i decided to try out PVP at level 60, i have never done a Warzone before and i dont have any PVP gear. So i join a random Warzone, it didnt take long before the other people in the group i was in started trashing me, saying i was dead weight cause i wasnt wearing any PVP gear and was a waste of their time etc..I thought i was suppose to do the Warzones to get the Comms to buy the PVP gear? But anyway, i decided to just drop the group and wipe my hands clean of that horrible pvp experience, even though i never actually got to try it lol.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One question X_x

I had Exhumed armor set , but I decided to remove the mods and put it on my adaptive armor. Now .... I cant get Dark Reaver cuz I need the Exh. items for exchange. I sold them ;/ So , I have to get the whole old armor again , even if I have the mods?

Edited by iankalo

What gear where you wearing? If you are wearing PvE gear above 162 rating you end up losing your bolstered expertise in order to compensate for your gear having higher amounts of mainstat, endurance and such over PvP gear. If your gear is way over the limit you end up losing a ton of expertise. Since expertise effects everything from damage output to damage reduction, having low expertise makes a very easy kill.

Beyond that you just need to remember that there just simply people in this game that expect everyone around them to be absolute pros, and anyways most of the people bashing in the warzone chat is usually the bad players anyways.

Edited by Zoom_VI

Might make sense to try out PVP first on a lower level character. If someone is going to jump into a warzone at level 60, I think it's pretty fair for the other people to expect that you're going to have PVP gear and have an idea of what you're doing.

i think the PvP is awesome!! in regular WZs any class and player can shine, its object based.

dont bother with high dps numbers. ofc its usefull but most of the time it means jack ****... do whatever u can to finish the object goal or hinder the opponent team to get theirs.

ignoer all these knuckleheads who freak out about your gear and valor/exp. everyone had to start at some point. noone is born pro or fully geared.

they`d better give u tips to improve or just shut the **** up!

if your class can heal i suggest u do so untill u get better gear. imo one does contribute more as undergeared healer then as dps. u will die alot anyway :D

but the most important thing: ENJOY yourself.

even if your team loose, in reg`s, no harm will be done. u wont **** up somemones rating and the next WZ will pop in ~5min`s

Edited by rlionherz

I thought i was suppose to do the Warzones to get the Comms to buy the PVP gear?

Yes, you are absolutely correct with that thought. The only way to get PvP gear is to play PvP.

What you encountered were just a typical bunch of Swtor PvP douchebags. There are many out there, I'm afraid.

You have two choices: Either you may feel pity for them and continue playing or stop PvPing. Apparently you went for the second option. I chose the first one back in the days. It helped me become a better PvPer. But I seldomly had fun in warzones. Nowadays I play PvP maybe once per month just to remember that I don't like it. ;)

Edited by JattaGin

OP, pvp is worth trying and learning, it takes time but its rewarding and much more entertaining than pve imho. Those ppl you were with are just too elitist to notice if there is no new ppl learning pvp, they wont have anyone to play their games with.

However ill tell you this: what would happen if you only pvp from beggining, and you got your pvp gear and all, and suddenly wanna get into a hm operation group? As soon as the other op members saw your gear, you would get kicked out. Its understandable that ppl dont wanna play with dead weights, and you in pve gear are adead weight. Pvp, same as pve, is a grind, but you must start it before arrivimg to 60. However its no excuse to their behaviour, here nobody is noone's father or mother, and nobody has the absolute authority to bash someone like that. They should explain you the situation, or shut the **** up.

Edited by DeVanagloris

As others have mentioned, get yourself to 2018 expertise and go from there. Depending on your class you will need to look at ways of grabbing medals. Remember 8 is the limit for achieving max coms/xp/valour/rewards so that should always be your target.

Just be mindful you will get farmed and killed quickly. If you are a stealth class and you are guarding - NEVER enter in to combat immediately if you SEE an enemy approaching. ALWAYS call, then cc with the stun dart/mind zap if you are Agent/Sin spec.

Wait for help to arrive then engage in combat. However, if its another stealth player, do the same if you can - zap and call and wait for help. If no help actually arrives ( and this is increasing), then do the best you can and again, use your class strengths in combat.

You can get 2018 expertise by playing the Bolster game. You have not said, but I'll bet you're wearing better than 156 rating armor. That HURTS you in PvP. You need to go get some level 47 blue mods and have a separate set of gear for PvP. You can slowly swap that stuff out for actual PvP gear, but having 2018 expertise is key, and if you don't then you're dragging your team down (as well as yourself).

Ideally, you should NOT jump into a level 60 WZ for your first PvP experience in this game. You have no idea what you're doing and you're playing against people who've had a TON of practice playing that particular character in a WZ. You're going to get absolutely stompled. Try joining PvP warzones starting at level 10 on a toon you're leveling. Do the daily 2 and the weekly 5 every chance you get--PRACTICE! Get 40 Valor as soon as you hit level 40 and buy yourself some PvP gear as soon as you hit 60 because you've been converting WZ comms into Ranked WZ comms.

PvP can be really fun in this game, and only a small percentage of the community is toxic. I have a blast PvPing casually on nearly all of my characters.

To the other poster who asked about his gear that he (apparently) sold or threw away: that is correct. You should really have kept that 1st-tier PvP gear, because you have to trade it in to get the 2nd-tier stuff (or the shells, at least). Lesson learned the hard way, I guess.

The other day i decided to try out PVP at level 60, i have never done a Warzone before and i dont have any PVP gear. So i join a random Warzone, it didnt take long before the other people in the group i was in started trashing me, saying i was dead weight cause i wasnt wearing any PVP gear and was a waste of their time etc..I thought i was suppose to do the Warzones to get the Comms to buy the PVP gear? But anyway, i decided to just drop the group and wipe my hands clean of that horrible pvp experience, even though i never actually got to try it lol.

It is worth trying, but IT IS NOT WORTH TRYING FOR THE FIRST TIME AT LEVEL 60.

The appropriate first time to try pvp is at around level 26-29 in the lowbies bracket. Then again in the midbies in the mid-50s. Then you'll be ready. Make sure you have a piece of gear in every slot, even in the lowbies bracket, or suffer debilitating bolster penalties. In midbies pvp, do not wear gear over 162 rating or get a big penalty.

They were trashing you because you probably went in there with obvious 178+ pve gear. You should be wearing level 53 purples until they can be replaced by exhumed one piece at a time (for bolster, expertise reasons).

I doubt you're even still reading this thread, but that's the proper way to do it.

Just hide the chat/disable OPS chat.

The PvP community is extremely toxic, you just need to learn to ignore the majority of them.

^^ This right here, but even still you asked is it worth it,,, Me I quit playing because of idiots like them "The so called elitist" They are crying & whining all the time and they have forgotten that this is just a game. I still have half of them on my ignore list, I haven't played warzone in 6 months and I have no reason to go back its probly the worst pvp I have ever seen in a mmo "Community wise not gameplay",,, Just pass it up it isn't worth the headache...

I absolutely detest PvP in most forms. But I will say this, PvP in this game is actually kinda fun. BUT, and that's a big but, I have noticed that the PvP community in general is pretty..... How can I say this..... Not nice. If you want to really get into it and have fun, may I suggest going it with your guild. If you are only jumping into it to have some fun, that would be the best way to do it. I do agree with most of the folks here saying that jumping into it at level 60 for the first time was a bit harsh. Think of it in terms of OP's or FP's. Would you want someone who never ran a flashpoint or an ops to jump into your ops for the first time at 60? If you really want to give it a shot, try out what was suggested here already, try it out at lower levels first, then work your way up. :)

if that's your experience with chat, shut it off and just focus on playing. You can build up WZ comms to get your gear even if you really suck at it, I know from experience. Someone told me to just stick with PvP, and I did, learning the maps and goals. Its worth the learning curve and the trolls, imo.

First thing to do is go to some terminal or dummy or whatever it is on one of the capital ships to check what your Expertise is going to be bolstered to. If it's not 2018, I believe, you need to tone down your gear until it does bolster to 2018. Since it might very well be possible to go into a WZ naked and have 2018 Expertise, I am pretty sure there is no reason, other than ignorance, to have less than 2018 Expertise. That's probably one big reason people were jumping on you.

PvP in this game sucks if you only want to do it casually. Why is lowbie pvp fun? Cause there isn't specific pvp gear. Endgame pvp is horrible. Wish they knew what they were doing cause I enjoy pvp in other games.

End game PvP is not horrible, it's a great activity and it's fun, win or lose...PvP is more challenging than NiM Ops and is unique every single time. I do it every time I login.

Your point about the gear is true, but that's the model Bioware wanted, not the players...we've simply accepted that it won't ever change. I would prefer a game where gear means nothing...but despite the gear, it's still fun.

Op... I do recommend trying PvP.. it can be fun... it can be frustrating... each time into a warzone is a different experience.

If you are just starting out... don't be afraid to talk to people in the match (or whisper after the match) and ask for tips... a lot of player (despite evidence to the contrary on the forums sometimes) are more than willing to help you improve... to either be an ally, or a better opposition.

While there are those who enjoy just spanking opponents into submission... most I have spoken with would prefer a quality fight... close fights... those are the most fun. So will be happy to help you improve your prowess.

Additionally, more players into the PvP aspect of SWTOR can not be a bad thing. It adds variety to matches... how often to you queue and see the exact same names over and over... expanded variety, expanded player base = good.