How to treat new players

spoe

Hello, all.

I am writing to remind everyone to be helpful instead of harmful when new players are doing bad things in flashpoints. We were all n00bs once; a bit of guidance could save a sub (after all, we want people playing and paying---or we won't have a Star Wars home at all).

Recently I was in a flashpoint with a brand new tank. Naturally, he was failing miserably (which causes pretty heavy frustration for everyone). The others in the group were relentless. I sent a whisper that told him not to worry about them but that we could have a conversation afterwards about it. I pointed him to dulfy.com to read the tanking guide for his class (guardian). He thanked me and assured me he would check it out.

He might suck forever as a tank, but at least he now has one tool he can use to get better instead of an ear full of childishness. The noob who does his or her homework today becomes a main ops tank tomorrow.

TL;DR: don't be mean to new players. Instead, offer them guidance so that they may (1) keep playing the game and (2) become better players. Both of these help out all of us, for without players, the game is doomed to fail. I would like to see it continue.

Thanks!

You can also point new players to the following guide. I wrote it for the forums a long time ago:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=97702

Edited by spoe

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the correct response to new players is typeing L2P noob than saying nothing comstructive or usefull tipwise and leaveing after all this is mmo we cant have civil behaviour or basic human decency here after all:)

*cuts the sarcasm into bite sized pieces and chows down*

What about when the new player in question KNOWS how to do whatever it is (but is wrong) and, if you offer advice or help, they call you a stupid noob?

I love helping new players who are receptive, but many that I've met are so sure that they are right they'd prefer to insult you than to actually learn something new.

What about when the new player in question KNOWS how to do whatever it is (but is wrong) and, if you offer advice or help, they call you a stupid noob?

I love helping new players who are receptive, but many that I've met are so sure that they are right they'd prefer to insult you than to actually learn something new.

Ironically enough I've been hearing a lot more of this happening lately...

:D

Exactly. That's why I like to help players who are clearly new to their class when I see them. I also like to go to starter planets and just run around throwing buffs (all 4 class buffs) around. Giving helpful tips is better than endless raging.

Hey, some of us are still noob-ish.

Last time I did Cademimu HM I stand in area where box will trap anything that stand in there and before tank pulls the boss someone shouts "Don't stand there!". That would have been embarrassing.

the correct response to new players is typeing L2P noob than saying nothing constructive or usefull tipwise and leaveing after all this is mmo we cant have civil behaviour or basic human decency here after all:)

Your sarcasm is clearly visible. That's not allowed in Internets. You did know that, right? /sarcasm

Edited by Halinalle

Although I don't consider myself a roleplayer, it does depend on which toon I'm on to my response!

It's also obvious to anyone who's done lowbie PVP that there are many out there who are beyond help, so sometimes it's more fun to Troll these people I vain hope they may leave the game!

I'd say the problem is that, in many cases, there is no "wrong" or "right", so all theese "I know how to play this game and tell those noobs how to do it" are, in fact, very often "wrong". So I think the best way to treat new players is loosing that arrogant "I know better because I am playing longer than you" behaviour in combination with this "only my playing style is the right one"-attitude.

If those wannabe elitist would accept that this game is not about "finding the optimal built" or "having the prefect rotation" or similar BS (or at least, for quite a lot of players these things are completely unimportant), and tolerate that people might intentionally do things in a different way, the atmosphere would be far less toxic.

If those wannabe elitist would accept that this game is not about "finding the optimal built" or "having the prefect rotation" or similar BS (or at least, for quite a lot of players these things are completely unimportant), and tolerate that people might intentionally do things in a different way, the atmosphere would be far less toxic.

apparently you have to be elitist to contribute to the majority of a toxic environment... :rolleyes:

Bioware designs the specs to be played a certain way, if you aren't playing them close to the design then you are being discourteous to others that might find themselves grouped with you as you are showing a disrespect for their time. Having fun playing around with the abilities when you aren't grouped with others is perfectly fine but if you do it during group content and it creates a failure to meet a dps check or keep aggro or not keep people healed and cause a wipe then you are abusing others with your selfishness.

Edited by g_land

Well, what can I say. as a newish, returning player (last time was when HK came out), I have to say thanks to the sentiment the OP and others shared here.

I had some great help over on the New player forums from a guy, about working my Jugg.

That being said, as a newish/returning player, I do appreciate the help, guidance, and such, while relearning a lot of the game.

To me, threads like this, is what keeps me coming back to the forums. Helpful, Intelligent, and sure, there will be those who don't take criticism well, But I put on the big boy pants about 40 years ago, so I am always gracious when I get advice.

I used to help new players. I loved to help new players. In past MMOs, I would devote one night each week to doing nothing but helping new players (e.g., in FFXI, sending my Ranger to the Dunes to help kill skeletons for the new guys). In most MMOs, I've crafted quality low-level gear/food/whatever and handed them out to random new guys. My LOTRO Kinship (i.e., me) would sponsor "Cosmetics Faires" at which veteran players would gather and lend cosmetic outfits to the new guys (most of us carrying stacks of dyes for them to use as well) so they weren't all running around looking so ... noobish. And in every MMO, I served as a font of experience and knowledge that I willingly shared when asked.

Something about SWTOR killed my generous spirit. It became too onerous a task to try to educate players who, in their first few hours of the game, already knew better than I did. I found my advice--usually on simple things, not advanced tactics or gear--not only disregarded, but outright shunned. Apparently, I was the noob for wanting to take 20 seconds to explain how to CC in a group and why no one should attack the mob I mark with the Gold Star.

I occasionally stumble upon a willing ear. I've had lengthy post-Esseles convos with new players in which (I hope) I made their path a little clearer ... a little easier. But these days, it's just as easy to stomach the new guy and add him to the Ignore list after the FP.

The correct answer is blame the tank cause you can't help From trying to chase master down as a Melee and get roasted. Wait what were we talking about?:mad:

Serious note, I am nice to new players and those unfamiliar with a fight. Who I am not friendly with are the arrogant people who try to tell you how to do something when you have seen the instance more than them. Dont micromanage if you can't play your own toon. The funny thing is those people who do that don't help out people who want to learn the fights and instead whine and complain.

I help those who ask not try and control freak micranage as I hate when people try to do that with me. Try it and I will bite your knee caps off :p

The term "noob" is just proof of how childish and immature people are about "new" people to a video game. I have ALWAYS hated that word and it's use. It is ridiculous and frankly doesn't make ANY sense to insult people new to a freakin video game. Everyone was new to it at once point, so I fail to see the need or point in acting like it makes you superior when you aren't anymore. No, I DON"T find it funny, at all.

I help "new" people. Not demean them and insult them in PVP like most do. That's how people unsub and quit playing. It's why I wont do ranked pvp. All that is is people screaming and yelling with insults and orders, and acting like immature elitists.

Edited by DarthVengeant

the correct response to new players is typeing L2P noob than saying nothing constructive or usefull tipwise and leaveing after all this is mmo we cant have civil behaviour or basic human decency here after all:)

There are actually at least a few PvP players who actually believe in this and take it seriously ... There was several months ago an "battle of arguments" in the PvP forum with someone who seriously believed that insulting new players, calling names and otherwise breaking down new players in PvP makes them want to become better !

He couldn't be explained that psychology doesn't work this way.

In the GSF forum I once had a similar case. Or so it seemed to me.

Bioware designs the specs to be played a certain way, if you aren't playing them close to the design then you are being discourteous to others

Well, almost every time Bioware does an class abilities' change, new discussions break out upon the question whether which way we are actually meant to play a class ... A quite audible *gasp* was to be heard when the devs once told the SAge / Sorcx community that they were NOT meant to use the "defense bubble" in OPs ! Everyone seemed to shake their heads, followed by an "how are we meant to protect us from damage, then ?" To which the debs explained that - if I recall this correctly - the enemies in OPs mainly do internal ? damage. I don't remember anymore exactly which kind of damage, but the devs stated that they'd use a damage type against which the bubble bubble wouldn't protect.

Other cases of no-one really knowing which way to play the devs had in mind are the infamous H2F and "perception problem" responses.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

Yes, this does happen, but at least you can say, "Hey, I tried." That's more than many offer.

I am one of those "L2P scrub" people and I will remain that way. When I tell a tank, you need to face the boss away from us, and he sits there jacking it to Miley Cyrus photos instead of moving at all, then I get angry and lash out. MMORPGS are not some new fad that just showed up, they have been around for 15+ years. Most tanking mechanics are the same throughout all games, hold agro on boss, keep others safe from it. 101 classwork right there, and people cannot even grasp that concept.

So yeah, don't join a FP with me if you have no idea how to play your class, I will rant and cuss you out so you rage quit. IDGAF

i had to learn things on my own via guides and websites in every mmo i played. i'm not going to go easy on new players i'm going to tell them that they are a bads and if they don't like it too bad. more so if they dont like it they should grow a thicker skin.

I am one of those "L2P scrub" people and I will remain that way. When I tell a tank, you need to face the boss away from us, and he sits there jacking it to Miley Cyrus photos instead of moving at all, then I get angry and lash out. MMORPGS are not some new fad that just showed up, they have been around for 15+ years. Most tanking mechanics are the same throughout all games, hold agro on boss, keep others safe from it. 101 classwork right there, and people cannot even grasp that concept.

So yeah, don't join a FP with me if you have no idea how to play your class, I will rant and cuss you out so you rage quit. IDGAF

Yeah what a bunch of scrubs! I can jack it while tanking.... And no one ever knows....

:confused:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.