Unload/Full Auto Removed

Duerre

Prob get flamed but whatever. So I just renewed my sub after a few months away. Finished DL/installing the patch to enter the game and find these abilities are gone? Were they so horrifically problematic that they had to be completely removed? From both an RP and PvE standpoint, I absolutely loved this ability! I'm now a super sad panda that they're gone and now have essentially no desire to pick up my vanguard and shield tech characters again. I'm sure they're still great classes but it's just not the same. So go ahead trolls, type your "boo hoos" and "qq more" comments. I don't care. I just wanted to let Bioware know that as a consumer, this kind of nonsense will drive people AWAY from your game. Not TO it. Badly done, Bioware. Badly done.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One ability that had situational use and suddenly you can't play that class anymore? Really? Really?

I call shenanigans.

I completely get the OP. Full Auto/Unload has been a strong visual and aesthetic component of the classes' first twenty levels, since the game came out. It doesn't matter if at 50+ it isn't ideal. It matters that it is a key rotation ability for the first 30-40 levels, and is extremely characterful.

Full Auto is practically the only time a vanguard gets to meaningfully use their blaster rifle. Its audio component is a big deal. It's odd that you find this so hard to believe.

It was an entirely too cute and misguided change.

Edited by clearsighted

IFull Auto is practically the only time a vanguard gets to meaningfully use their blaster rifle. Its audio component is a big deal. It's odd that you find this so hard to believe.

I find it hard to believe people are so bent up about it.

Edited by branmakmuffin

Yeah, it's not like the time they moved Orbital Bombing/Freighter Flyby off Operative/Scoundrel.

I shrug at that change, taking away the knockdown animation from shoot first is what killed smugglers for me. That was hands down the funniest **** ever, I never got tired of watching enemies land on their face. Gone for no reason.

I will miss full auto, it might not have had a giant effect on group content where the tank is basically a taunt pinata now, but in solo play I loved using it.

Edited by PorkdishSWOR

My main is a Powertech and while I have never played content that requires optimisation of rotations I would throw in the occasional 'Unload' as a reminder that the object my PT had grasped in his hand actually did something and I quite like the 'Gangsta' animation, and have been playing long enough to remember a time when it used the same crossed hands animation as the Mercenary.

The irony here is that I virtually never use it on my Merc as the animation bugs out and forces the full length of the channel (I apologise if this has been fixed in the month since I last played my Merc).

I hardly ever use the 'Rapid Shots' ability, not sure if Pyrotech spec just has it easy with heat build up but I don't even get around to popping the heat dispersal abilities, the right utilities seem to keep all heat build up under control.

So the real question is, why should a PT have to draw a pistol if they never use it? It's all flamethrower, railgun and rockets.

My main is a Powertech and while I have never played content that requires optimisation of rotations I would throw in the occasional 'Unload' as a reminder that the object my PT had grasped in his hand actually did something and I quite like the 'Gangsta' animation, and have been playing long enough to remember a time when it used the same crossed hands animation as the Mercenary.

The irony here is that I virtually never use it on my Merc as the animation bugs out and forces the full length of the channel (I apologise if this has been fixed in the month since I last played my Merc).

I hardly ever use the 'Rapid Shots' ability, not sure if Pyrotech spec just has it easy with heat build up but I don't even get around to popping the heat dispersal abilities, the right utilities seem to keep all heat build up under control.

So the real question is, why should a PT have to draw a pistol if they never use it? It's all flamethrower, railgun and rockets.

Same reason Sorcs pull a light saber even though they never use it... looks.

All these whine threads make ma laugh. If you are a PT DPS and using Unload you were doing it wrong. If you are a tank, why were you standing in stupid for 3 seconds?

/clap, clap... clap

People did use it for leveling.. and there was nothing there to replace it.

If it wasn't that big of a deal why do you care if they were or were not.. it appears bioware thought it was enough of a issue to remove it.

If you're a merc and not using Unload then you are missing out on a lot of dps, If you are Arsenal spec your entire rotation is built around Unload/Blazing bolts.

I am not going to say that removing a single ability will make a class unplayable. I will however agree with some people who said that having the ability was a big part of the aesthetic of the Vanguard character. In all honesty, the Explosive Round made less sense from a BLASTER ASSAULT RIFLE, than FULL AUTO. It's an ASSAULT RIFLE. Let me PEW PEW the PEE out of bad guys. I only really do solo mode, and occasionally some grouping with a friend or two, but I don't ever do PVP so I have no idea how it might factor in there. But to flat out yoink an ability without giving anything else in its place, an ability that has been a mainstay since day one...

Then again, I had put my Vanguard on hold for a long time since my friends all wanted to play tanks. Now that I went back to play it, a week later, I lose a core ability that was one of the things I loved. It is disappointing to say the least.

Welcome to the club - said sorcs and operatives.

My lethality operative uses its rifle about as much if not more than my merc uses its guns, tyvm.

And even my sorc, while having no use for them, does actually have multiple lightsaber animations available for times of goofing around. (Its quite satishfying to land a killing blow with thrash in WZs, lemme tell you that!)

Not to mention atleast the sorc has the decency of holding its weapon away and putting its spellcasting hand forward in a proper stance..

The PT stance heavily implies a strong dependency on a gun thats almost entirely useless.

My suggestion would be to just merge the old unload animation with railshot for PTs. (yakno, taking proper AIM using their AIM stat to deliver a single powerful shot with their gun)

Just something that lets me use my gun more D:

I'm pretty sure nobody complaining about this actually care much for any for the utility of Unload, but rather the loss of a full animation for a class where virtually every ability is just sticking your left hand out and.. thats it.

Honestly I dont miss it at all on my Vanguard as most of my abilities are based around my rifle there anyway.

Edited by Ershiin

Exactly

And yet far, far more people that play swtor care about aesthetics and leveling, than they do about end game optimized rotations. My girlfriend for example, was disconsolate at losing full auto on her level 28 vanguard. It actually made her so angry, that she didn't want to play anymore.

She eventually came back to her sage, but I can only imagine that very many people would've had similar reactions. I think she would've just stopped playing entirely if it wasn't that she liked questing with me.

Edited by clearsighted

Same reason Sorcs pull a light saber even though they never use it... looks.

Can't remember the last time I saw my PT deflect incoming blaster bolts with their pistol :p

Don't get me wrong I wish there was an option for Sorcs to keep their sabre holstered and deflect bolts/ sabres with their hands ala Darth Vader in 'Empire Strikes Back' and Satele Shan in the 'Hope' trailer.

Edited by Vhaegrant

Welcome to the club - said sorcs and operatives.

Yep, I know there are several other ACs out there that have less use for their mainhand weapon. It frustrates me that my Operative (Infiltration) uses knife attacks and yet I get no chance to customise the look of that weapon and they would spend more time juggling their weapon.

But, the OP was specific to the Unload/Full auto issue.

At least with the Vanguard most of the additional ability animations stem from the equipped rifle.

Edited by Vhaegrant