The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Is BiowEAr embarrassed by their own triple-A MMO??

Friend-Referral

It's the internet, of course someone will ***** about anything. If you can't handle it, stay off the net. The fact that online a-holes exist is no excuse for the absolutely poor communication we've had since launch...those who cross the line should be punished, but don't blame the entire freaking million player community for the tirades of a dozen. Their own silence is what breeds so much discontent. Their own lack of quality and sloppy coding creates the frustration that players are feeling right now.

Maybe YOU should avoid the forums if you can't handle them.

I don't think you understand the golden rule of customer service. first job I had when I got off active duty 20+ years ago was in customer service. The rule. Be helpful be patient but you are under NO obligation to take abuse. This rule is universal, also in the MMO world. The discontent is born of people who have issues with instant gratification and an over inflated value of their own self worth. The speed in which discontent grows in these games is crazy. The problem culd be caused by a single line of code in a process not even directly connected to the damn problem BUT if they don't fix "your problem" RIGHT GOSH DARN NOW...when they have 5 other problems on the drawing board, the world is coming to a gosh darn end.

The Devs primary job is to code. really they are under no obligation in any gaming company to have lots of contact with the Community. It's their job to code and program. They don't get paid to waste time wading through QQ and beotch post after beotch post, and CERTAINLY under no obligation to respond to them. So they do most of their work via PMs with players who have shown... A) a level of civility, B) an ability to actually explain the problem in detail and not simply "ZOMG!!! THIS IS BROKEN FIX IT!!!!" etc.

For community reps (I call them the smoke jumpers since it's their job to put out fires) they do communicate the problem is since they are a middle man they can't give you an immediate answer (see instant gratification issue above).

Yes there are games out there with better communication GW2 is one of em, Rift used to be one of em until they took the axe to literally half their staff...however those really are the exception in the MMO world...EA follows the rule that most other games do. Why? Because in the end it doesn't really matter what they say.

The minute MMO gamers start acting like the adults that statistics say the majority are, is the minute communication increases. In essence it is a vicious cycle and we are part of it.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the internet, of course someone will ***** about anything. If you can't handle it, stay off the net. The fact that online a-holes exist is no excuse for the absolutely poor communication we've had since launch...those who cross the line should be punished, but don't blame the entire freaking million player community for the tirades of a dozen. Their own silence is what breeds so much discontent. Their own lack of quality and sloppy coding creates the frustration that players are feeling right now.

Maybe YOU should avoid the forums if you can't handle them.

Well said! *clap*

The minute MMO gamers start acting like the adults that statistics say the majority are, is the minute communication increases. In essence it is a vicious cycle and we are part of it.

Oh bologna....a few trolls don't = "abuse". And that approach hasn't worked in the past, won't work in the future...the very fact that you excuse their silence because of what you view as abuses on the forums, tells me something.

Oh bologna....a few trolls don't = "abuse". And that approach hasn't worked in the past, won't work in the future...the very fact that you excuse their silence because of what you view as abuses on the forums, tells me something.

Trolls should be called out and then moderated for a more friendly community.

why should i treat the devs nicely?

every time we have had an community in any mmo do that guess what happens? stabbed in the back over and over again. on ultima online we treated the devs fairly and guess what we got? the open world game we all loved was cut in half to make way for the eq kids who didn't like the idea of danger in their world. swg? the devs lied to us daily and we got the cu/nge.

more so bioware has done nothing that really wants me to care about the game. are they doing anything with gsf? no they are just letting that rot. have they done anything new with strongholds? no other then a few items in cartel packs. have they fixed classes for pvp that need it? no more so they will buff up the ones that don't need it and nerf or leave the rest of them to rot.

let me ask all of you this? if you went to taco bell and got this treatment when waiting for your food would you eat there?

Yep. It's one of those guys for sure. These guys are just paying to get on the forum so they can attempt to sow the seeds of discontent. I guess they really think they will bring the game down this way. :rolleyes:

So, the guy with a fresh account number 15 million who pretends like hes been here forever, claims to be MMO analyst, and doesn't have post history beyond today doesn't sound suspicious to you. Ok...:rolleyes:

No they are paying to play the game, see what the hell is going on, than once they figured out nothing changed, they make scene and troll, laugh a little while waiting for a forum ban.

Also found this amusing little post when I searched for Mr. Jurgens. And really big coincidence just as Sir Copperfield returned to this game again.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/111852/copperfield-signs-a-6-month-contract-with-elder-scrolls-online-for-those-who-missed-the-telecast

Please, seeds of discontent were planted far before this ****. I just don't like people saying I have poor taste in gaming genre. Constructive criticism is fine.

If I was so dissatisfied with the game, I wouldn't even bother with posts like these. A waste of time. Big waste of time. I would rather just go play another game, and let the people who are still having fun carry on.

Edited by Nickious

every time we have had an community in any mmo do that guess what happens? stabbed in the back over and over again. on ultima online we treated the devs fairly and guess what we got? the open world game we all loved was cut in half to make way for the eq kids who didn't like the idea of danger in their world. swg? the devs lied to us daily and we got the cu/nge.

more so bioware has done nothing that really wants me to care about the game. are they doing anything with gsf? no they are just letting that rot. have they done anything new with strongholds? no other then a few items in cartel packs. have they fixed classes for pvp that need it? no more so they will buff up the ones that don't need it and nerf or leave the rest of them to rot.

let me ask all of you this? if you went to taco bell and got this treatment when waiting for your food would you eat there?

Didn't you say you were leaving like a month ago?

I wouldn't go to taco bell. Do you know what **** they put their food? :D

Let's say I went to Taco Bell and ordered a quesadilla. I enjoy it.

I come back next time. I order a quesadilla. But it tastes different than before... A thought goes through my mind, "By the Nine! This is not the same quesadilla I ordered last time!" I ask the person at the counter, "Why is my quesadilla different? Why did you change it?"

Timidly, the cashier responds, "We had to change it. There was an ingredient which was toxic to our consumers."

Clearly, the rational response is to badger, berate, and throw a temper tantrum! To throw the altered quesadilla on the ground or even at the cashier! It's clearly his fault! He is to blame! I will stand outside Taco Bell corporate headquarters, shouting at the top of my lungs for all the executives to know their hurt. Not to mention I will protect potential victims of the Quesadilla Bait and Switch! They must know of the evil deception and the unbridled rage that the change to the quesadilla has brought you! And to think they even had their chefs add something else to the menu. But I don't want that stupid burrito; I went to Taco Bell for a quesadilla! If I don't get what you want, then there will be hell to pay! I want, nay demand, justice for the quesadilla! WHY DID THEY CHANGE THE QUESADILLA!

Until they end their quesadilla madness, I should boycott them! I should encourage others to boycott them! Be jerks to anyone who works at a Taco Bell! Everyone should be jerks to all Taco Bell employees!

I come back next time. I order a quesadilla. But it tastes different than before... A thought goes through my mind, "By the Nine! This is not the same quesadilla I ordered last time!" I ask the person at the counter, "Why is my quesadilla different? Why did you change it?"

Timidly, the cashier responds, "We had to change it. There was an ingredient which was toxic to our consumers."

Clearly, the rational response is to badger, berate, and throw a temper tantrum! To throw the altered quesadilla on the ground or even at the cashier! It's clearly his fault! He is to blame! I will stand outside Taco Bell corporate headquarters, shouting at the top of my lungs for all the executives to know their hurt. Not to mention I will protect potential victims of the Quesadilla Bait and Switch! They must know of the evil deception and the unbridled rage that the change to the quesadilla has brought you! And to think they even had their chefs add something else to the menu. But I don't want that stupid burrito; I went to Taco Bell for a quesadilla! If I don't get what you want, then there will be hell to pay! I want, nay demand, justice for the quesadilla! WHY DID THEY CHANGE THE QUESADILLA!

Until they end their quesadilla madness, I should boycott them! I should encourage others to boycott them! Be jerks to anyone who works at a Taco Bell! Everyone should be jerks to all Taco Bell employees!

Down the Taco Bell oppressors!

So you changed your mind?

It's far more than a few trolls... trust me. Beyond that go to other AAA games from big devs...Activision/Blizzard, EA, whatever SOE is called now...show me it's different.

So, the guy with a fresh account number 15 million who pretends like hes been here forever, claims to be MMO analyst, and doesn't have post history beyond today doesn't sound suspicious to you. Ok...:rolleyes:

No they are paying to play the game, see what the hell is going on, than once they figured out nothing changed, they make scene and troll, laugh a little while waiting for a forum ban.

Also found this amusing little post when I searched for Mr. Jurgens. And really big coincidence just as Sir Copperfield returned to this game again.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/111852/copperfield-signs-a-6-month-contract-with-elder-scrolls-online-for-those-who-missed-the-telecast

Please, seeds of discontent were planted far before this ****. I just don't like people saying I have poor taste in gaming genre. Constructive criticism is fine.

If I was so dissatisfied with the game, I wouldn't even bother with posts like these. A waste of time. Big waste of time. I would rather just go play another game, and let the people who are still having fun carry on.

So Copperfield IS Mr.Jurgens? Didn't know that.

Anyway. **** these forums. I'm out.

Thank you for preaching. You tell the defenders how it is.

Please stop trying to derail this constructive thread with lies, misinformation and imaginative stories. Thank you. Because I have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

Thank you for preaching. You tell the defenders how it is.

Please stop trying to derail this constructive thread with lies, misinformation and imaginative stories. Thank you. Because I have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

You spelled Bioware incorrectly btw. You might want to edit that if you want people to take you seriously.

It's far more than a few trolls... trust me. Beyond that go to other AAA games from big devs...Activision/Blizzard, EA, whatever SOE is called now...show me it's different.

Go take a look. The other AAA MMOs actually have dev replies. GW2 gets some kind of dev/community mod response on a daily basis in the majority of the forums. Something would be acceptable. Here we get replies only when it deals with the CM. There wasn't even an explanation for the nerfs we see in game. Most titles have a dev release about why changes are being put in place; here 99% of changes are made without any explanation to the community. The rapport between the staff and the players is pathetic.

Go take a look. The other AAA MMOs actually have dev replies. GW2 gets some kind of dev/community mod response on a daily basis in the majority of the forums. Something would be acceptable. Here we get replies only when it deals with the CM. There wasn't even an explanation for the nerfs we see in game. Most titles have a dev release about why changes are being put in place; here 99% of changes are made without any explanation to the community. The rapport between the staff and the players is pathetic.

In order to communicate with your gaming community, you need to understand it. This game has had 3 awful Community Managers who have zero plans and ideas to engage the community. EA have never been great at community and their policies are the reason why.

To them, a Community Manager is another Marketing tool that looks at metrics all day but doesn't actually put their finger on the pulse. A friend of mine in the UK who worked for EA as a Community Manager was actually told off for posting late evenings/weekends because it 'gave the impression he was still at work and that EA were slave drivers'.

He quit after a row with his boss.

Eric is just another 'yes' man. He's probably a lovely chap but hasn't the balls to challenge bad design decisions or actually raise the player bases top concerns and feed that back to the Dev Team and then back to us. Like GW2 do and other proper Community Teams - no matter how SMALL they are.

:rolleyes: It was a joke/intentional jab. Right over your head apparently...

No it wasn't, the op claims he's trying to state his opinion in a constructive and critical manner but spelling Bioware like that shows he has no desire for that at all.

Thus if he wants to be taken seriously, he needs to rethink his approach.

Or does friendly advice go over your head?

Why would they be embarrassed?

There are still people paying £100s each pack release, why I do not know, but each to their own.

Until those people wise up and realise that Sims in Space is not all it's cracked up to be, why would they develop any other aspect of the game, for those of us who are not paying above our monthly sub?

To them, a Community Manager is another Marketing tool that looks at metrics all day but doesn't actually put their finger on the pulse. A friend of mine in the UK who worked for EA as a Community Manager was actually told off for posting late evenings/weekends because it 'gave the impression he was still at work and that EA were slave drivers'.

He quit after a row with his boss.

According to a friend of mine in the UK, that is not what happened.

But anyway.

Ontopic: Maybe Bioware is not ashamed for it's game, but for a certain group of players playing their game? ;)

The big difference between your analogy and our reality is that they don't answer, even when asked politely, nicely or are even begged. So to make your analogy more correct, it would be:

You go to Taco Bell, order your quesadilla, but it's different this time. You walk up to the counter, wait in line, then ask the clerk why it's different. He ignores you. You politely ask again, and he continues to ignore you...you then ask for his manager, and he continues to ignore you. Someone else asks where the condiments are and they get an answer from him...you again ask him what changed on the quesadilla you liked, and are still ignored. You see someone else walking by so you try to flag them down to get their attention, but they also ignore you.

What do you think happens then? Some people will just walk away and never come back, some will just eat the new crappy quesadilla, others will raise their voice and expect an answer and there will be those who continue to come to Taco Bell for a quesadilla because they like quesadillas...and sadly, there are no other quesadilla restaurants...there are tons of burger places, noodles places and a plethora of sammich shops, but only one place where you can get your quesadilla.

Right now, Bioware has the only quesadilla on the market...but this fall there will be an open face mexican pizza on the market that some quesadilla fans are very anxious about.

Those of you who care about forum communication in your video games may find this interesting: if you want to see a real communication clampdown, go look at what Daybreak (the reorganized Sony Online Entertainment) has been up to - closing down Everquest Next's General Discussion forum (plus its and Lore forum), and five of Everquest II's forums, including PVP and Roleplaying. Edited by DarthDymond

Those of you who care about forum communication in your video games may find this interesting: if you want to see a real communication clampdown, go look at what Daybreak (the reorganized Sony Online Entertainment) has been up to - closing down Everquest Next's General Discussion forum (plus its and Lore forum), and five of Everquest II's forums, including PVP and Roleplaying.

Wow...leave it to Smed to do something so outlandish that he makes news. He knows the market better than this...next you know you'll get banned for facebook posts.

I love this part:

Gamemasters will no longer be on call to fix deleted items, accidentally sold items, accidentally bought items, misloots, or accidental modifications of items. “Deleted characters will not be restored,” Daybreak warns, so “feel free to re-roll a new character.”
Edited by TUXs