The 50k+ HP approach to PvP

Cretinus

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, they'd only know that if they came on the PvP forums. I think the issue is how non-intuitive bolster is. A primer on how it works in game would be a good idea. Or attaching a flat stat to each piece of non-PvP gear.

It's not just that... Most of these people wearing the wrong gear are rude and ignorant... When I have politely tried to help them gear properly I've been abused

As far as they are concerned they are the elite players in the game because they do all the nightmare/hard mode ops... us pvp people don't know anything... LoL... As if Ops is harder than pvp... LMAO

Unless you're a well-geared pvp tank, it pretty much does mean you're in pve gear. My operative healer is in full DR augmented gear, and that toon doesn't even have 42k hp.

It is possible if you stack HP like crazy... But it's far from a good idea except fort tanks.

Well, they'd only know that if they came on the PvP forums. I think the issue is how non-intuitive bolster is. A primer on how it works in game would be a good idea. Or attaching a flat stat to each piece of non-PvP gear.

That would be helpful if only there was a simple explanation of exactly how bolster works. Even the devs don't seem to understand their own bolster system.

I lol'd.

I'm glad if I could amuse you. But why exactly?

I played in Guild Wars since 2004 PVP and can therefore very well judge as a PVP oriented MMO looks.

All the errors like PUG vs Premade, Gear differences, differences in talent and the plethora of CC does not exist there. In the current GW2 is no different, there I play from time to time, especially for open PVP.

There is no real relevant reason to get 162 gear.
Yes there is... You *get it for free* during the expansion.

OP forgot the most irritating part: these PVE heroes yell at you when you tell them they should switch to lower gear.

Yes there is... You *get it for free* during the expansion.

OP forgot the most irritating part: these PVE heroes yell at you when you tell them they should switch to lower gear.

I'm just getting in the habit of asking when the next raid is. If we get to carry them through warzones for years, I can hop in a raider's backpack one time. Y^Y

Hey everyone, I appreciate this thread and MOST of the helpful players posting in it.

But let me speak from the other side for a moment... I am primarily a PVE player who PvP'ed only for dailies and usually not even then while leveling. Once I hit 60 and was decked out in 186-192 gear with augs and BiS relics/implants etc. I thought I'd own in PvP only to realize I was WORSE!

I didn't understand it... I asked for help a few times when people in WZs seemed frustrated with me, and mostly got ridiculed.

So I figured it was a gear issue and went about the painful process of getting owned in PvP while I bought exhumed gear piece by piece.

I now have about half my gear and FINALLY had one nice individual whisper me after a PvP match and explain the bolster system to me.

Let's be honest... it's NOT an intuitive system! Unless someone KINDLY explains or you search the specific PvP forums for answers, you won't figure it out without the community. BW ought to fix this, but in the meantime, I'd just advise being kind as you try to educate players that simply don't know about this strange bolster system.

In short, I'd say that many players whine and complain and make players who don't have their extensive knowledge feel like idiots... don't be "that guy" (or "that girl") -- just be kind, helpful courteous... because there are very few players out there sucking at PvP who don't want to be better.

Hey everyone, I appreciate this thread and MOST of the helpful players posting in it.

But let me speak from the other side for a moment... I am primarily a PVE player who PvP'ed only for dailies and usually not even then while leveling. Once I hit 60 and was decked out in 186-192 gear with augs and BiS relics/implants etc. I thought I'd own in PvP only to realize I was WORSE!

I didn't understand it... I asked for help a few times when people in WZs seemed frustrated with me, and mostly got ridiculed.

So I figured it was a gear issue and went about the painful process of getting owned in PvP while I bought exhumed gear piece by piece.

I now have about half my gear and FINALLY had one nice individual whisper me after a PvP match and explain the bolster system to me.

Let's be honest... it's NOT an intuitive system! Unless someone KINDLY explains or you search the specific PvP forums for answers, you won't figure it out without the community. BW ought to fix this, but in the meantime, I'd just advise being kind as you try to educate players that simply don't know about this strange bolster system.

In short, I'd say that many players whine and complain and make players who don't have their extensive knowledge feel like idiots... don't be "that guy" (or "that girl") -- just be kind, helpful courteous... because there are very few players out there sucking at PvP who don't want to be better.

You are correct. It is an absolutely un-intuitive system.

On top of that, PvPers, as a community, need to greatly work on their interpersonal skills. It's the behavior that you run into that drive people back into full time PvE and off the PvP servers.

Unfortunately, it's very common to see that attitude.

Edited by NovaGrantham

You are right. But I can't help to be that guy when i suggest a PvE'er to downgrade his gear to 162-156-146 and he sends me very kind words that make me want to push my lightsaber up his ************************************.

No, it’s not intuitive, but the information is very readily available.

The first thing I did when I started was to come to the PvP forum and find the TWO sticky threads that explained everything in thorough details.

These threads are easy to find.

These threads are awesome.

These threads are up to date.

They will get you through.

Then I started asking specific questions and the PvP community painstakingly explained every little thing to me. They answered the questions before I was able to formulate them. Then they shared more helpful stuff just in case.

PvPers are Good People.

So long as they feel they can reasonably kill each other off, they are happy to teach a noob just how to get started on dat killing spree :)

The first thing I did when I started was to come to the PvP forum and find the TWO sticky threads that explained everything in thorough details.

I agree. While i sympathize with new players that come in and are not aware of the way the bolster system works, and I agree that BW should make it clearer to them via the game, its not really sufficient to say that to find a good resource you have to 'trawl the forums'.

Its all right there, at the top, and easy to access.

Edited by MystbladeWA

While i sympathize with new players that come in and are not aware of the way the bolster system works, and I agree that BW should make it clearer to them via the game

But BioWARE did not explain keybinding to me; not standing in stupid; that there is a rotation; that you theoretically could play the game in green drops 4 level below your level like an SP game, but it's not gonna be fun... It is not fun to be a new player.

Looking for information and advice from the senior players makes all the difference. Particularly when you engage into a new type of game activity. Chances are they figured a thing or two over the past 3 years.

I wish it did not take me 6 months to figure that one out. And PvP was the place where I came face to face with terrific players and got a demo how the game is supposed to be played, lol. :)

Edited by DomiSotto

But BioWARE did not explain keybinding to me; not standing in stupid; that there is a rotation; that you theoretically could play the game in green drops 4 level below your level like an SP game, but it's not gonna be fun... It is not fun to be a new player.

Looking for information and advice from the senior players makes all the difference. Particularly when you engage into a new type of game activity. Chances are they figured a thing or two over the past 3 years.

I wish it did not take me 6 months to figure that one out. And PvP was the place where I came face to face with terrific players and got a demo how the game is supposed to be played, lol. :)

Domi. You're one in a million. Seriously. I've met only an handful of people willing to learn like you are. You don't fear to be shamed if you can learn something out of it. You know where the problem is and accept it. You even try to fix it.

Don't think most new and less new players think like you. Most will believe they should be granted a 'press here to win' button, they ought to be better than everyone with way more experience than them.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm one of those "casual PvE (never raid) and even more rarely PvP" players.

However, I'm an older gamer, who frequently gets roflstomped by you. But, most importantly, whenever I, and my friend, are trying something new (new FP, maybe an Operation, PvP, etc), we ask questions and let others know what noobs we are.

Recently, my friend's guildmate on one of our various alts, informed him about the weird way bolster applys to PvE gear. We did some checking, I found the BOLSTERIZER (what a great tool this is!), and proceeded to gear more appropriately. We still are getting stomped, but our gear is coming along.

Note: one of the reasons I try PvP is to learn my character better. In most PvE content, I rarely hit my DCDs. In OWPvP and WZs, I have to use em. So, I'm learning my character(s) better.

Go to this thread for videos on how to bolster correctly and also a visual example of what it is like to fight with 1K expertise compared to having 2018 expertise.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=797369

Just wanted to say thanks man, I had given up on pvp in general for about 2 years besides the daily+weekly up to level 29 all the time and usually I avoid pvp since the "community" isn't as helpful as people here like to suggest. I've started to turn around and start topping the charts on my now less squishy Tank and Healers since I got to 2018 expertise and am saving up to start pursuing pvp as a daily habit. Thanks again. :)

I don't mind it in regs because well you need to start somewhere and not everyone can be bothered to get old gear for better bolster but when it comes to ranked there should be no less then 2018 expertise.

I had a game some time ago when I was the only one in my group with max expertise...

I usually dotn bother, but this time, in very polite way I wrote that they are seriously gimping themselves(and the team) and I ecouraged them to check out pvp forums for info about expertise and using pve gear in pvp. I imediatelly got jumped on by 3 of those ppl, one particulary agressive, who kept callign me names even after warzone. I kept my "sith" together and still, in very polite way, I tried to explain him that I was only trying to help him.

While still being agressive and moving on to call my mother names, he firstly wrote, that how is he supouse to have max expertise if he dont have a pvp gear yet. I tried to explain to him about bolster and that he should use pve gear not higher than 156-162 in pvp, but he wasnt interested. He called me few new names, and asked that if Im so smart, why was he 3rd on damage boards with 500k damage and I was was close to the bottom with only 200k damage, then he called names my wife(who I dont have yet). At his point I got bored and just added him to ignore list. Didnt feel like explainign him that in huttball where we just played(where I scored 4 goals) its not about damage and that with proper gear and max expertise he would probably do close to million anyway.

Generally ppl either dont know about exertise and proper gearing or they simply dont care, and queue up with their top pve gear just to do dailies.

Edited by Nefczi

I had a game some time ago when I was the only one in my group with max expertise...

I usually dotn bother, but this time, in very polite way I wrote that they are seriously gimping themselves(and the team) and I ecouraged them to check out pvp forums for info about expertise and using pve gear in pvp. I imediatelly got jumped on by 3 of those ppl, one particulary agressive, who kept callign me names even after warzone. I kept my "sith" together and still, in very polite way, I tried to explain him that I was only trying to help him.

While still being agressive and moving on to call my mother names, he firstly wrote, that how is he supouse to have max expertise if he dont have a pvp gear yet. I tried to explain to him about bolster and that he should use pve gear higher than 156-162 in pvp, but he wasnt interested. He called me few new names, and asked that if Im so smart, why was he 3rd on damage boards with 500k damage and I was was close to the bottom with only 200k damage, then he called names my wife(who I dont have yet). At his point I got bored and just added him to ignore list. Didnt feel like explainign him that in huttball where we just played(where I scored 4 goals) its not about damage and that with proper gear and max expertise he would probably do close to million anyway.

Generally ppl either dont know about exertise and proper gearing or they simply dont care, and queue up with their pve gear just to do dailies.

And clowns like the one you describe are now really ruining my fun in this game, I only pvp, and in truth I can stomach only a couple of matches a day now, hence my play time is down to about 20 mins before watching paint dry would be more appealing. BW don't need to do anything more to run down PVP, the people they are allowing to play without proper gating has already done it for them.

Edited by ThorgrimLutgen

Just wanted to say thanks man, I had given up on pvp in general for about 2 years besides the daily+weekly up to level 29 all the time and usually I avoid pvp since the "community" isn't as helpful as people here like to suggest. I've started to turn around and start topping the charts on my now less squishy Tank and Healers since I got to 2018 expertise and am saving up to start pursuing pvp as a daily habit. Thanks again. :)

No problem man, happy to help. Subscribe to my channel for tips while in a warzone if you want to further improve. Im by no means awesome but I know enough to make PvP fun :)

While still being agressive and moving on to call my mother names, he firstly wrote, that how is he supouse to have max expertise if he dont have a pvp gear yet. I tried to explain to him about bolster and that he should use pve gear not higher than 156-162 in pvp, but he wasnt interested. He called me few new names, and asked that if Im so smart, why was he 3rd on damage boards with 500k damage and I was was close to the bottom with only 200k damage, then he called names my wife(who I dont have yet). At his point I got bored and just added him to ignore list. Didnt feel like explainign him that in huttball where we just played(where I scored 4 goals) its not about damage and that with proper gear and max expertise he would probably do close to million anyway.

Generally ppl either dont know about exertise and proper gearing or they simply dont care, and queue up with their top pve gear just to do dailies.

You can't help those people... They will always think they are right until someone in their guild or someone they respect gives them the same advice.. They will always be rude and play like noobs... Just walk away

Bio should have a big splash screen when loading all WZs, explaining that Expertise is the main stat for PvP... Instead of something about your strong hold or some PVE content

People these days don't realise that objective pvp isn't about dmg or heals... They have picked up bad habits from ranked people who treat reg objective pvp as a death match... They are picking up bad habits... If Bio were to bring back ranked 8 man objectives and seperate queues for object or arena, it would probably improve objective based PvP

I had a guy the other day with 1000 expertise on my team. He was a Sorc healer... When I tried explaining bolster and that was basically doing about 45% less heals and taking a heap of damage... I was abused as well... He told me he can heal for a Mil in WZs, so it doesn't matter... We went on to lose every match he was in because he spent 90% of his time and heals, healing himself and trying not to die... Sure he had relatively high numbers, but not one match did he top 850k... He died the most on the team and hardly anyone got any healing off him... When a number of us pointed out why... He said his numbers were good... And if we didn't like it we shouldn't play because he wouldn't heal us... This was funny because he wasn't healing the team anyway... I asked him to look at my stats (it was my Sorc Dps), I'd just done 1.1 mil dps and 600k healing (mainly self), no deaths... He'd done 800k healing and hardly any Dps... Then I said who do you think contributed to the team and who didn't... He put me on ignore and stopped queuing