The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

*DEVS* Please switch Jet Charge and Grapple

Mccordrm

As a melee DPS, getting around is important. Please make Jet Charge the Powertech ability and Grapple the Tank Tree ability.

Having just the Tank get to mobs quickly screws the DPS specs. We can't get to mobs as quickly as Marauders or Juggernauts. And Grapple doesn't make sense for DPS- it means we're pulling mobs out of AOE, away from the tank, and away from other melee DPS.

Sorry that you're having trouble playing your class, but they aren't going to rewrite the entire premise and functions of the shieldtech discipline, just to accommodate your inability to apply damage.

That said, Jet Charge is very cool no doubt, but then again so is grapple. If Jet Charge was a utility available for all disciplines, that would however make things more interesting but I wouldn't want to have to choose between the two. It's an attack that does damage, so on that regard it probably wouldn't be offered as a Utility. The percentages of people that would take it/not take it would screw up the dev's pve damage potential balances, probably to the point that selecting Jet Charge as a utility would be a pre-requisite for all discplines, but if it was an innate ability for shieldtech... I'd be fine with that. The odds of it happening aren't very good I'll suspect. lol.

Would I select it? haha, hell ya.

Sorry that you're having trouble playing your class, but they aren't going to rewrite the entire premise and functions of the shieldtech discipline, just to accommodate your inability to apply damage.

That said, Jet Charge is very cool no doubt, but then again so is grapple. If Jet Charge was a utility available for all disciplines, that would however make things more interesting but I wouldn't want to have to choose between the two. It's an attack that does damage, so on that regard it probably wouldn't be offered as a Utility. The percentages of people that would take it/not take it would screw up the dev's pve damage potential balances, probably to the point that selecting Jet Charge as a utility would be a pre-requisite for all discplines, but if it was an innate ability for shieldtech... I'd be fine with that. The odds of it happening aren't very good I'll suspect. lol.

Would I select it? haha, hell ya.

HtL/HO provides ample opportunity to close to distance especially with the proper utility choices.

A brief summary of Jet Charge/Storm threads:

OP: "I'd like jet charge because its fun"

PvPers: "Yes, but then it would break PT/VG DPS, and we'd get nerfed. So no thanks"

Uneducated Simpleton: "Oh but how will I get in range to do things!"

Top level raiders: "You have 10+ meter range on all your good attacks. Try starting there.

Absolute Scrubs: "But VG DPS Sucks!"

Me: :rolleyes:

I'm not claiming it's impossible to run around to stuff, I'm just saying that the other Melee DPS classes get a leap ability, and for Powertechs only the tank tree gets it. And my point about grapple as a melee dps class still stands.

I'm not claiming it's impossible to run around to stuff, I'm just saying that the other Melee DPS classes get a leap ability, and for Powertechs only the tank tree gets it. And my point about grapple as a melee dps class still stands.

Well grapple is useful, it just depends on the content you are running.

As per the leap comment. With HtL/HO there is an advantage. We have the option to begin setting up our rotation before we get in range to completely follow through.

If you are Tactics you have enough time to throw up your Assault Plastique, Sticky Grenade (proccing HiB), and then of course HiB. All while closing the distance.

With Plasmatech you have time for your Incendiary Round, a HiB, by then you should be in 10m range which will allow you to use Plasmatize before setting up for your Pulse Cannon.

So no, you can't use all of your skills after activating HtL/HO like say a Jugg can after leaping in. But you have enough to use to fill in the time while closing the gap. To me this is fair.

Stop looking at it like PT dps is the only quasi-melee dps without a leap and look at it like this:

PT/VG dps is the only quasi-melee dps with a pull.

We're also the only of the three with a pull by default, like the jugg has a default push and the sin has a default knockback.

Sins need to be tanks to pull.

Warriors/Knights don't get a pull.

Sins don't have a leap at all. Should they get it, too? Make all classes the same?

Edited by AxeDragoneth

I will never understand why people consider harpoon viable replacement for leap. Everything worth closing the gap will most likely have boss immunity on it.

But, as awesome as it would be to get jet charge, with HO utility we don't need it.

I will never understand why people consider harpoon viable replacement for leap. Everything worth closing the gap will most likely have boss immunity on it.

But, as awesome as it would be to get jet charge, with HO utility we don't need it.

Which is why I said this:

Well grapple is useful, it just depends on the content you are running.

PvP, it is useful. Raids, not as much. But yes, with HO/HtL you have ample opportunity to close the gap while committing damage and setting yourself up for when you are in proper range.

• 3 weeks later...

Rapid Shots = 30m

Rail Shot = 30m

Sticky Dart = 30m

Thermal Detonator = 30m

Incendiary Missile = 30m

Masteries set up correctly with HO up = 10 second 90% movement speed increase with snare immunity.

Assassins don't have a leap. Operatives don't have a leap. They still have gap closers just like PTs do. Use your long range skills while closing in on your targets at Sonic the Hedgehog speeds. It's fine the way it is now.

Nah it's why I don't play Shield Tech on my PT I rarely use Jet Charge because I'm normally right in somebody's face. In fact the skill I think that should be on both BH classes is Jet Boost. Let Mercs keep all the fancy perks for it and let PT have more so as a defensive push.

Yet IF they made Jet Charge a skill all PT's can use it better have effects based off what Cylinder you have equipped at the time. So Shield Tech's don't feel gimped and AP/Pyro have something worth using to jump into a fight.

Edited by ExeErdna

Masteries set up correctly with HO up = 10 second 90% movement speed increase

I just did Korriban and Tython. I can't get used to that. I always run too far because of that and don't get Shockstrike in. And I'm trying to learn to dps as Vanguard at lvl55+. :o

Edited by Halinalle

I demand jet charge AND super hydraulics :rak_03: Nobody would be safe

But fo realsies, super hydraulics >>>>>>>>>>> jet charge because you don't need a target, and you can laugh at all the mercs thinking that using hydraulics outside of combat gives them a speed boost :D

\

Masteries set up correctly with HO up = 10 second 90% movement speed increase with snare immunity.

Assassins don't have a leap. Operatives don't have a leap. They still have gap closers just like PTs do. Use your long range skills while closing in on your targets at Sonic the Hedgehog speeds. It's fine the way it is now.

It's not 90%, HTL does not stack with Pneumatic Boots.

Running from 30m to melee range takes only a few seconds wih the +15 movement speed utility, and your have plenty of long range abilities to use over those 3-4 seconds.

Grapple is brilliant for pulling ranged mobs together so you can hit them with aoe, I would not want to give up grapple for jet charge.