Does BW hate melee?

Seriously, It seems like range DPS have a massive advantage over melee for almost every boss fight in the new ops. Not only with DPS up-time, but with significant damage avoidance. DF and DP were melee manageable, but it seems like in 3.0 having more than 1 melee dps is going to make progression significantly more difficult than just bringing 4 ranged dps.

Um. YES... yes they do. Roll a Sorc please. :)

No seriously it's really crazy that in order to clear this content you need SUPER aware mDPS or SEMI aware rDPS to clear this content. Is it doable with more mDPS? Yes - is it painful... yes.

Its like we need a BOOST to mDPS for most fights due to additional mechanics punishing groups for bringing them.

Hah ha, funny I tried to get in a Ravagers SM group last night. I whispered the asker if he would take someone who had only seen bosses 2 and 3, and had beat boss 2. My marauder is mostly in 196 gear now and sturdier than when I did that a couple of weeks ago. but I was told "your inexperience is not as much a factor as the fact you are you are melee and will be eaten by the third boss." They only wanted ranged dps.

I had a chuckle over this, but didn't get in the group :-(

Hah ha, funny I tried to get in a Ravagers SM group last night. I whispered the asker if he would take someone who had only seen bosses 2 and 3, and had beat boss 2. My marauder is mostly in 196 gear now and sturdier than when I did that a couple of weeks ago. but I was told "your inexperience is not as much a factor as the fact you are you are melee and will be eaten by the third boss." They only wanted ranged dps.

The third boss on Ravagers is HORRIBLE for mDPS for 3 main reasons,

1. Attacking boss? Watch out for that fire that comes up from the ground under him it'll destroy you in seconds even in SM.

2. Dangerous Fire Device. Don't even think about attacking this if you're mDPS, why? The fire will once again destroy you in seconds.

3. Shoots Lasers. Firstly (and I can't have been the only one to notice this?) it always seems to pop up where the next fire floor vent will be which means if you mDPS'ing it you have a huge chance of floor vent fire eating you a few seconds later by surprise (see 1.) Secondly its laser if you stand in front of it by accident while DPS'ing will also destroy you in seconds.

Tried doing this on 16M with my Sent and I found I either died way to quick ignoring the things I explained above or I was being almost 100% useless. Doing this on my Tele Sage however was so much better!

Edited by BlueShiftRecall

I have to agree that ravagers in particular feels very melee unfriendly.

If Torque placed a circle similar to how Tyrans is, even 1 GCD before fire appears, it would go a long way in making the fight more reasonable for melee.

The third boss on Ravagers is HORRIBLE for mDPS for 3 main reasons,

1. Attacking boss? Watch out for that fire that comes up from the ground under him it'll destroy you in seconds even in SM.

2. Dangerous Fire Device. Don't even think about attacking this if you're mDPS, why? The fire will once again destroy you in seconds.

3. Shoots Lasers. Firstly (and I can't have been the only one to notice this?) it always seems to pop up where the next fire floor vent will be which means if you mDPS'ing it you have a huge chance of floor vent fire eating you a few seconds later by surprise (see 1.) Secondly its laser if you stand in front of it by accident while DPS'ing will also destroy you in seconds.

Tried doing this on 16M with my Sent and I found I either died way to quick ignoring the things I explained above or I was being almost 100% useless. Doing this on my Tele Sage however was so much better!

Oh I'm not disagreeing. This is EXACTLY what happened to me the two and only two times I've been up against this boss. It clearly takes a lot of practice. I'll bet my lesser-geared merc will be able to handle it.

I found that the lag in 16M made it completely impossible. In 8M, it is doable, but it will take a LONG time to perfect it because the timing is so delicate.

I have to agree that ravagers in particular feels very melee unfriendly.

If Torque placed a circle similar to how Tyrans is, even 1 GCD before fire appears, it would go a long way in making the fight more reasonable for melee.

SM Torque puts the fire right on top of the tanks, it's really the DPS's fault if that goes wrong for them.

I'm playing Maurader since the release of Swtor and i have serveral Wordlfirst kills and clear alle content before any nerfs.

The Content for Melee has never been so hated for melees than before. Powertec is ok at the moment because of his 10 - 15 m range skill, so you can avoid many dmg. But the real melees like op's / Mara / Assa have at moment a much more bigger challange than a range DD.

But my problem is, I like my Maurader :)

Edited by erschinger

Bah, I melee the bantha snot out of this stuff. Sure, you're not gonna parse higher in fights with high rates of target switching, but I beat the pants off the rest of my team when I don't have to switch targets as much. Fights like Coratanni and Pearl, Master Blaster, I rock the house. It's all dependent on the type of fight, of which BW did a great job on adding a healthy mix of variety. Calm thy shorts ye of little patience. Skill will come with experience and all will right itself in the world once again ;)

Bah, I melee the bantha snot out of this stuff. Sure, you're not gonna parse higher in fights with high rates of target switching, but I beat the pants off the rest of my team when I don't have to switch targets as much. Fights like Coratanni and Pearl, Master Blaster, I rock the house. It's all dependent on the type of fight, of which BW did a great job on adding a healthy mix of variety. Calm thy shorts ye of little patience. Skill will come with experience and all will right itself in the world once again ;)

To be honest, I talking about the hm / nim content . Nobody cares about the SM :) You can do every fight with any Group in Sm ....

I don't understand why rDPS do more dps than melee, or rDPS need to be nerfed, or mDPS need to be significally increased, mDPS need to do MUCH more dps, because him have less survivability and because need to deal with melee mechanics, that's all.

And my response remains the same. The usefulness, utility and comparable dps vacillates for each fight and melee outshines in some and acquits itself underwhelmingly in others. Implications are for the weak, say what you mean.

There is NO WAY than rDPS do more dps or same dps than a melee, this is just wrong, no excuse.

I approve of the way this guy writes.

More posts by TedderUkan, please!

Also, every MMO I've ever played hates melee DPS.

196? There is your problem, no such exist. Back to your complaint. My group is clearing hm ravages with 2m 2r and the mdps out damages the ranged all day. I don't know what you're doing wrong.....

i find this thread strange since i keep always my APM above 40 in any fight of the new ops, while i had the number go down to 35-36 during some of DF/DP fights especially during nim draxus where the only real threat were the subtherots and on brontes since following the fingers and clone's jump screwed it.

during torque guy you can dps the fire probes from 4m without taking dmg, just don't leap, and stay at 4m even on boss. also i think any mdps should have keybinds and most of them struggling have problems because they click.

My bad, typo, 192.

So anyway last night I did get in a Ravagers group, 8M. The leaders were well experienced and patient and we cleared it with few problems. Only one wipe on Torque, none on the others. The DPS were all ranged except for me. Now that I know the mechanics better this will be much easier.

Can't speak for 16M, my one experience there was marred by awful lag.

i find this thread strange since i keep always my APM above 40 in any fight of the new ops, while i had the number go down to 35-36 during some of DF/DP fights especially during nim draxus where the only real threat were the subtherots and on brontes since following the fingers and clone's jump screwed it.

during torque guy you can dps the fire probes from 4m without taking dmg, just don't leap, and stay at 4m even on boss. also i think any mdps should have keybinds and most of them struggling have problems because they click.

It's certainly not impossible, but watch a video of hm torque from a ranged POV and try to say with a straight face that it's at all comparable to doing it as melee.

Sounds like this group was filled with a bunch of idiots if they only want to bring ranged to a story mode lol. Funny thing is in SM that boss tickles. Even in hard mode as long as you are careful you will be fine as a melee. Heck, my guild's first clear of the 3rd boss in HM came by doing it with 4 melee.

Edited by CellPerfect

I have been in Assault on Tython FPs right after the release of 3.0 where the tanks left the group because there were all mDPS. And frankly I agreed with them. rDPS has a significant advantage to face roll that content. mDPS can do it no doubt, but it takes easily 10x more skill and attention. Not that most mDPS don't have the skill, it is just that some don't and the rDPS rolls right on through with no new skill for that new content required.

I don't prefer to play rDPS, I like to melee, because it is faster and more energetic, more control. Sitting in one spot outside of the immediate AOE and moving a little when soft enrages occur doesn't seem challenging to me. The FPs should have more interaction with rDPS.

The other night I got in an 8M as melee, the only melee DPS, and we cleared the whole op, really with few issues. The tanks had cleared the op before and very patiently told the newer people what to avoid. We wiped on Torque once I think. I died on Torque about 5 seconds before Torque died, so it was a success for me. The key, as someone mentioned, is be aware and get out of the fire fast.

Sounds like this group was filled with a bunch of idiots if they only want to bring ranged to a story mode lol. Funny thing is in SM that boss tickles. Even in hard mode as long as you are careful you will be fine as a melee. Heck, my guild's first clear of the 3rd boss in HM came by doing it with 4 melee.