How to Play SWTOR with a Video Game Controller

PeepsMcJuggs

Peeps!!!

I have discovered another solution to the two trigger hold- map reset problem (Quite a lengthy title I know).

Simply map a "hold to return to map 1" to all your toggle and hold keys. This will ensure that even if you stuff up and release your triggers in the wrong order, it will always return to your default map 1. This obviously only works if you have not mapped hold buttons to exist as other buttons within other maps.

Hope you find this useful.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peeps!!!

I have discovered another solution to the two trigger hold- map reset problem (Quite a lengthy title I know).

Simply map a "hold to return to map 1" to all your toggle and hold keys. This will ensure that even if you stuff up and release your triggers in the wrong order, it will always return to your default map 1. This obviously only works if you have not mapped hold buttons to exist as other buttons within other maps.

Hope you find this useful.

That's a really good idea. I'll have to test it and incorporate it in my existing XPadder profiles.

Hey Peeps,

I've finally managed to install my ps3controller and also configured XPadder to play swtor almost perfect with my agent.

Basically, I have 4 mappings:

M1 (regular attacks)

M2 (cover attacks)

M3 (cc and aoe attacks)

M4 (heals, buffs, often and regular mouse control)

M1: L2 => M4 | L3 ("cover") => M2 | R2 (hold) => M3

M2: W,A,S,D => M1 | R2 (hold) => M3

M4: W,A,S,D => M1

This way it's really easy to know which map I actually use, because whenever I run around I use my main-map :)

I have a few questions now and I know you have answered a few of them but I got lost in your blog:

1. While running around, sometimes I look up in the sky or down to the ground almost out of nowhere? I know you answered that somewhere but didnt find the solution

2. Is there a way (or hotkey) to get my mouse point back in the center of my screen?

3. I want to make my mouse move faster for one mapping (M4), can I do that by just raising mouse speed (via that monkey wrench)?

Thanks for your answers

P.S.: After installing my ps3controller (& XPadder) to my notebook I discovered something that you should keep in mind for future profiles. When you load a XPadder profile to another computer it uses the buttons from the original computer (or ps3 controller)

Installing my ps3pad to my desktop-pc using the motioninjoy drivers the pad had a completely different button layout compared to the pad that I installed to my notebook. While X, O, square and triangle had buttons 1, 2, 3 & 4 on my "desktop-pad" they had buttons 4, 3, 2 & 1 on my "notebook-pad". So when I opened the profile on my notebook I had to redo the configuration for the mappings again. I fixed that by giving my pads the same layout in the motioninjoy-options....

So if you want to keep posting XPadder-profiles in your blog you should maybe post your pads button layout as well - or your readers get "screwed up" profiles.

Joe-Skull,

I have a bit of J2K experience, but I haven't fiddled with it in a while. I'll have a look at it for you.

A couple of questions: what type of controller are you using, and do you have your triggers configured as axes or buttons? And if they're axes, are they separate axes, or + and - on the same axis?

Edit: Second question: have you considered trying XPadder? There's earlier versions that are legal freeware available online, and it makes configuring this stuff a lot easier.

I am using an Xbox 360 controller, I have them configured as axes, +/- on the same axis.

I know I have all the buttons right but for some reason it wont actually change configs weather I hold or just press and release either trigger it will stay on the first config. But when I click the left/right sticks to change configs it works.

And I havent tried xpadder since JoyToKey is the first I have picked up and it has worked perfectly ever sense, with only 1 exception.

Okay, I have a potential solution, but you're going to need to test it in-game yourself, as I for the life of me can't get Joy2Key to work in SWTOR, even after running it in admin mode: http://www.mediafire.com/?hl8y6cke4c9se92

This configuration is for an XBOX 360 controller. Tested outside of SWTOR, the alternate mappings assigned to the triggers work just fine, though they didn't until I ensured that the triggers were unmapped in the alternate setups.

Hope this works for you!

I dont know how to setup downloaded configs, and the triggers are unmapped in my alternate configs.

Hey, TobKilla! Let me see if I can answer all of your questions.

1. While running around, sometimes I look up in the sky or down to the ground almost out of nowhere? I know you answered that somewhere but didnt find the solution

3. I want to make my mouse move faster for one mapping (M4), can I do that by just raising mouse speed (via that monkey wrench)?

The answer to both of these is via the monkey wrench you're referring to. For the former, all you do is set your vertical mouse movement to be slower than your horizontal movement. That way, when you rotate your camera, your up and down speed is significantly reduced (this assumes the sudden pitching isn't caused by a program glitch).

These settings are map-specific, so as you asked in question 3, yes, you can simply increase the speed on a single map and it won't affect the others.

2. Is there a way (or hotkey) to get my mouse point back in the center of my screen?

I know that PGP and Joy2Key have this option, but I haven't found any way to do it in XPadder.

P.S.: After installing my ps3controller (& XPadder) to my notebook I discovered something that you should keep in mind for future profiles. When you load a XPadder profile to another computer it uses the buttons from the original computer (or ps3 controller)

Installing my ps3pad to my desktop-pc using the motioninjoy drivers the pad had a completely different button layout compared to the pad that I installed to my notebook. While X, O, square and triangle had buttons 1, 2, 3 & 4 on my "desktop-pad" they had buttons 4, 3, 2 & 1 on my "notebook-pad". So when I opened the profile on my notebook I had to redo the configuration for the mappings again. I fixed that by giving my pads the same layout in the motioninjoy-options....

So if you want to keep posting XPadder-profiles in your blog you should maybe post your pads button layout as well - or your readers get "screwed up" profiles.

Inconsistencies among systems has been a concern of mine ever since I started posting profiles, but you're the first person to raise the issue. I created MiJ mapping profiles for both XPadder and PGP which should ensure consistency. Check the links under MotioninJoy on my downloads page: http://swtorpeeps.blogspot.com/2012/01/downloadable-files.html

I am using an Xbox 360 controller, I have them configured as axes, +/- on the same axis.

I know I have all the buttons right but for some reason it wont actually change configs weather I hold or just press and release either trigger it will stay on the first config. But when I click the left/right sticks to change configs it works.

And I havent tried xpadder since JoyToKey is the first I have picked up and it has worked perfectly ever sense, with only 1 exception.

Hmm...I'm not sure what's going wrong here. For all intents and purposes, it should work. Have you tested your triggers with other hotkeys? Also, try and reconfigure them as separate axes and see if that does anything.

I dont know how to setup downloaded configs, and the triggers are unmapped in my alternate configs.

You should be able to just drop them in the same folder as J2K, then restart J2K and it will automatically detect them.

I don't know if my profile will actually help your issue, but it's worth a shot.

Edit: I retested my profile, and it works in-game. Apparently I just needed to reboot my system. I recommend you delete the LClick Hold and RClick Hold mappings....that was something I tested that didn't pan out.

Edited by PeepsMcJuggs

Hmm...I'm not sure what's going wrong here. For all intents and purposes, it should work. Have you tested your triggers with other hotkeys? Also, try and reconfigure them as separate axes and see if that does anything.

You should be able to just drop them in the same folder as J2K, then restart J2K and it will automatically detect them.

I don't know if my profile will actually help your issue, but it's worth a shot.

Edit: I retested my profile, and it works in-game. Apparently I just needed to reboot my system. I recommend you delete the LClick Hold and RClick Hold mappings....that was something I tested that didn't pan out.

i got your config up and loaded but the only button that works for me is the right mouse button(button 6 and 10)

i got your config up and loaded but the only button that works for me is the right mouse button(button 6 and 10)

Bogus. Our controllers are probably configured differently (mine was configured as a 360 controller).

I think I've exhausted my knowledge of J2K. The only other thing I can suggest is going to their site, redownloading and reinstalling the latest version. I'm not even sure how to contact the devs at this time.

Edit: Out of curiosity, I went ahead and purchased a license key. Apparently you need to be a registered user to contact the dev.

Edited by PeepsMcJuggs

Bogus. Our controllers are probably configured differently (mine was configured as a 360 controller).

I think I've exhausted my knowledge of J2K. The only other thing I can suggest is going to their site, redownloading and reinstalling the latest version. I'm not even sure how to contact the devs at this time.

Edit: Out of curiosity, I went ahead and purchased a license key. Apparently you need to be a registered user to contact the dev.

alright, downloading the newest version worked. :)

thx for the help

alright, downloading the newest version worked. :)

thx for the help

No problem :D

As an FYI for other folks that want to try Joy2Key: there's more than one "official" site. The one I linked above (and on the download page in my blog) has the latest version, updated as of Nov 11, 2011.

Edited by PeepsMcJuggs

set your vertical mouse movement to be slower than your horizontal movement. That way, when you rotate your camera, your up and down speed is significantly reduced (this assumes the sudden pitching isn't caused by a program glitch).

What did you set the movement speeds to?

Anyone know of similar programs that are free? I found a link to a 2007 version of xpadder which seems to be free, but I dont know how trustworthy the site is.

ANyone know if this site is legit:

http://xpadder.en.softonic.com/

Yes, it's legit: earlier versions of XPadder were legal freeware and still available for free download. If you're ever unsure of a link, just download it from CNET.

Your other free options are JoyToKey or Joystix Pro's free SWTOR profile (see the Downloads section of my blog).

For years i played cox at a high level (organized pvp) using a ps2 controller and joy 2 key. Glad to see its being done here too.

Anyone running into a lack of buttons? I used to use modifiers, dpad and whatnot to get enough in that game, but it seems like here it just wouldn't be feasable on many characters. After accounting for l/r click, target and jump I didn't think there would be enough buttons left over.

On the melee warrior class I don't see lack of buttons being much of an issue, but my seer on the other hand, just seems like there wouldn't be nearly enough.

Edited by Fatbaldandalone

For years i played cox at a high level (organized pvp) using a ps2 controller and joy 2 key. Glad to see its being done here too.

Anyone running into a lack of buttons? I used to use modifiers, dpad and whatnot to get enough in that game, but it seems like here it just wouldn't be feasable on many characters. After accounting for l/r click, target and jump I didn't think there would be enough buttons left over.

On the melee warrior class I don't see lack of buttons being much of an issue, but my seer on the other hand, just seems like there wouldn't be nearly enough.

There's plenty of buttons, especially if you use double commands in J2K, XPadder or PGP. With my current profile, I have ready access to all of my main, left, right and bottom-center quicktabs from my PS3 controller. Others have achieved similar results by binding the quicktab scroll hotkeys to their d-pad. Have a look at my blog for more info.

Edited by PeepsMcJuggs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysZlcFJkoOY

Be sure you check his rankings at the end.

FYI, as per my OP, discussions on the validity of using a controller are off-topic.

I am... extremely impressed.

But it's kind of like watching someone walk to the grocery store on their hands.

"Whoa, you can do that? That's awesome! But dude, why not.. you know.... just use your feet?"

Hey, folks! I thought I'd take 5 minutes and slap this together for anyone who's curious. This XPadder profile demonstrates an optional quick-turn ability, whereby tapping L3 will execute an instant 180-degree turn. You can tweak its turn distance for your setup by adjusting the key-tap time (currently set to .10sec).

There's probably other ways to do this, but I just wanted to throw this out there for public consumption. Enjoy!

Can you post a tutorial on this instead of making a separate downloadable profile? Great thread BTW.. Haters gonna' h8!

Edited by Darth_Vampirius

Hi Peeps,

I have a question because I encountered a problem that bothers me sometimes.

I have a xpadder profile for my agent with 3 mappings. My problem seems to be with the left stick and the L3 button - I configured the stick for movement (W,A,S,D) and L3 for cover (F). Standing around and pressing "F" gets me to my cover map without any problem but when I move with the left stick and press L3 while moving I get into cover but the mapping doesn't switch to map 2... :confused:

Being in cover and finding out that you can't access your sniper moves kinda sucks.

A solution would be to always stand still before I press L3 but it's easy to forget that when you're in a fight :)

Any idea how to change that?