How to Play SWTOR with a Video Game Controller

PeepsMcJuggs

Hi Peeps,

I have a question because I encountered a problem that bothers me sometimes.

I have a xpadder profile for my agent with 3 mappings. My problem seems to be with the left stick and the L3 button - I configured the stick for movement (W,A,S,D) and L3 for cover (F). Standing around and pressing "F" gets me to my cover map without any problem but when I move with the left stick and press L3 while moving I get into cover but the mapping doesn't switch to map 2... :confused:

Being in cover and finding out that you can't access your sniper moves kinda sucks.

A solution would be to always stand still before I press L3 but it's easy to forget that when you're in a fight :)

Any idea how to change that?

Hey, TobKilla! I've been sitting here pondering your problem, and I can't come up with a 100% solution that allows you to use your cover map the way you want. In order to get it to automatically switch back over, we had to tie the map swap to the left stick's movement, otherwise you'd still be stuck in cover mode after exiting cover.

There's three workarounds I can think of:

1) Increase the analog stick's threshold so it doesn't react within a certain distance of center, mitigating the instances where you accidentally tilt the stick while rolling into cover.

2) Remove the map swap from the analog stick, and set a shoulder button in your cover map as a one-way map from your cover map to map 1. You'd just have to remember to tap it every time you exit cover.

3) Remove the automatic map swap when you roll into cover entirely, and set it as a held shoulder button.

Basically, you're dealing with limitations in XPadder's software. I could probably come up with something in PGP (like needing to register stick input for .3 seconds before switching back to map 1), but XPadder just doesn't have the chops for it.

Edited by PeepsMcJuggs

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The chatpad does not have drivers for pcs sadly.

I have been using xpadder for a bit but it seems to have stopped working completely for me. Sucks because I have to wear a splint a lot of the time for tendon damage. It really limits my ability to play. I wish the game came with gamepad functionality from the start.

It really sucks being disabled and not being able to play the game as much as I would like to. I wonder if anyone has ever approached game designers from that perspective.

The chatpad does not have drivers for pcs sadly.

I have been using xpadder for a bit but it seems to have stopped working completely for me. Sucks because I have to wear a splint a lot of the time for tendon damage. It really limits my ability to play. I wish the game came with gamepad functionality from the start.

It really sucks being disabled and not being able to play the game as much as I would like to. I wonder if anyone has ever approached game designers from that perspective.

See the other link in my sig. I'm trying to get BioWare's attention so they provide native controller support for people with disabilities.

The chatpad has drivers, but they're only compatible with the wired Made for Windows XBox controller. Also, I have some troubleshooting tips in my blog for XPadder, as well as other program options if XPadder isn't working for you. Let me know if you need any help getting things working.

I think this is a good config... try this one... :)

Set 1:

Left stick -> moves ( Q,W,E,S )

Right Stick -> Cam (right click + up, right click + left, etc)

L1-> select set 2 while held

L2-> select set 3 while held

R1 -> select set 4 while held

R2 -> select set 5 while held

L3 -> Target next

R3 -> Jump

A -> spell 1

B -> spell 2

X -> spell 3

Y -> spell 4

start -> map

select -> bag

Up arrow -> spell 11

down arrow -> lower bar spell 10

left arrow -> lower bar spell 11

right arrow -> lower bar spell 12

Set 2 (while L1 held):

Left Stick: moves ( Q,W,E,S )

Right stick: mouse cursor control (without right click)

L1 -> switch to spell bar #1

L2 -> switch to spell bar #3

R1 -> switch to spell bar #4

R2 -> switch to spell bar #5

L3 -> Left click

R3 -> Right click

A -> spell 1

B -> spell 2

X -> spell 3

Y -> spell 4

Left arrow -> cam zoom out

Right Arrow -> cam zoom in

Up arrow -> autorun

set 3 (while L2 is held):

L3 -> target next

R3 -> jump

A -> spell 6

B -> spell 7

X -> spell 8

Y -> spell 9

Up arrow -> spell 11

set 4 (while R1 is held):

L3 -> target next

R3 -> jump

A -> lower spell bar, spell 1

B -> lower spell bar, spell 2

X -> lower spell bar, spell 3

Y -> lower spell bar, spell 4

Up arrow -> spell 11

set 5 (while R2 is held):

L3 -> target next

R3 -> jump

A -> lower spell bar, spell 6

B -> lower spell bar, spell 7

X -> lower spell bar, spell 8

Y -> lower spell bar, spell 9

Up arrow -> spell 11

Edited by Mr-Spock

See the other link in my sig. I'm trying to get BioWare's attention so they provide native controller support for people with disabilities.

The chatpad has drivers, but they're only compatible with the wired Made for Windows XBox controller. Also, I have some troubleshooting tips in my blog for XPadder, as well as other program options if XPadder isn't working for you. Let me know if you need any help getting things working.

If the chatpad had drivers, where would they be? When I check the links provided, it does links to a file that is a part of a part.

Also, please be reminded that the macro that helps with turning is still greatly needed if you get a chance.

Currently, I am trying to use the Naga mouse, but it can be painful for old war vets with disavbilities.

Eh all .. I have wrote a glovepie script for my xbox 360 controller to play swtor with my keyboard and mouse in game. It works very well. I will post the links to the script and site toniight for poeple that wish to use it ..

That's great! If you don't mind, I'd love to add those links and info to my blog (citing you as the source, of course)!

If the chatpad had drivers, where would they be? When I check the links provided, it does links to a file that is a part of a part.

Also, please be reminded that the macro that helps with turning is still greatly needed if you get a chance.

Currently, I am trying to use the Naga mouse, but it can be painful for old war vets with disavbilities.

You mean the files here? http://code.google.com/p/chatpad-super-driver/

I haven't tested these myself, as I don't have the required hardware. I know that these are alpha drivers that haven't been modified in over a year, so I wouldn't be surprised if they had problems. I've been trying to locate a better option, but nobody seems to have one yet.

Edited by PeepsMcJuggs

Only thing i am still working on is trying to get the keypad to log in game. i can not find the coding for it to work in glovepie. Not over wirless controller yet. When i get home i will post the link to my script so far and the details on how to use it.. Overall it is like playing Mass Effect 2 with the controller for me . i still need to keyboard to chat . Was looking into the 360 keypad .. But just unable at this point to get it working

Maybe one day http://code.google.com/p/chatpad-super-driver/ will update the drivers to work over wireless controllers and set it up as a full keyboard.

Edited by mdobrowney

That's great! If you don't mind, I'd love to add those links and info to my blog (citing you as the source, of course)!

You mean the files here? http://code.google.com/p/chatpad-super-driver/

I haven't tested these myself, as I don't have the required hardware. I know that these are alpha drivers that haven't been modified in over a year, so I wouldn't be surprised if they had problems. I've been trying to locate a better option, but nobody seems to have one yet.

I've tried unsuccessfully to get the chatpad working with the alpha drivers provided. They installed fine and I have the right equipment. But they are very buggy and caused a lot of problems. If these worked, this would be the definitive way to play. Frankly, I find it shocking that MS hasn't dedicated a 2 person team to develop chatpad drivers for Windows for the 360 controller. Wait, no I don't...

Anyway, I am using PGP with a wired 360 controller (w/ Peeps modified layout) about half of my play time with really good success with questing. I have tweaked a couple things:

• I've assigned the SHIFT key to the right bumper. Doing this, I then assign QS 1-4 to colored buttons, JUMP to left bumper, 5-6 to R/L sticks pressed down, and 7-10 to direction pad. I assign my most-used abilities to 1-10 and Shift-1-10. That's 20 abilities! Not bad.

• I've assigned "Target Next" to left trigger and "Target Nearest Enemy" (which is not assigned by default) to right trigger. This greatly helps with targeting for me.

• I assign the select key to left mouse and start key to right mouse - this substantially reduces the amount of times I need to reach for the mouse.

Certainly more comfy for long play. I really only need the mouse/keyboard occasionally for things like Map, Inventory, Character screen, and occasionally to pick up items. I'm still 50/50 on the setup for PvP and tougher combat - but that's probably an "old dog" thing and this grows on you fast. Anyway, Peeps, you're doing a great service! Thanks.

Only thing i am still working on is trying to get the keypad to log in game. i can not find the coding for it to work in glovepie. Not over wirless controller yet. When i get home i will post the link to my script so far and the details on how to use it.. Overall it is like playing Mass Effect 2 with the controller for me . i still need to keyboard to chat . Was looking into the 360 keypad .. But just unable at this point to get it working

Maybe one day http://code.google.com/p/chatpad-super-driver/ will update the drivers to work over wireless controllers and set it up as a full keyboard.

Sounds interesting. As for the Super Drivers....I wouldn't get your hopes up. From what I understand, the guy wrote them to win some contest, and it seems like he abandoned them after he won.

I've been meaning to look into GlovePIE. I haven't messed with it at all myself, but it sounds incredibly versatile for more advanced users (and I'm amused by the prospect of using my WiiFit Balance Board to control movement. For ****s and giggles, of course).

I've tried unsuccessfully to get the chatpad working with the alpha drivers provided. They installed fine and I have the right equipment. But they are very buggy and caused a lot of problems. If these worked, this would be the definitive way to play. Frankly, I find it shocking that MS hasn't dedicated a 2 person team to develop chatpad drivers for Windows for the 360 controller. Wait, no I don't...

Anyway, I am using PGP with a wired 360 controller (w/ Peeps modified layout) about half of my play time with really good success with questing. I have tweaked a couple things:

• I've assigned the SHIFT key to the right bumper. Doing this, I then assign QS 1-4 to colored buttons, JUMP to left bumper, 5-6 to R/L sticks pressed down, and 7-10 to direction pad. I assign my most-used abilities to 1-10 and Shift-1-10. That's 20 abilities! Not bad.

• I've assigned "Target Next" to left trigger and "Target Nearest Enemy" (which is not assigned by default) to right trigger. This greatly helps with targeting for me.

• I assign the select key to left mouse and start key to right mouse - this substantially reduces the amount of times I need to reach for the mouse.

Certainly more comfy for long play. I really only need the mouse/keyboard occasionally for things like Map, Inventory, Character screen, and occasionally to pick up items. I'm still 50/50 on the setup for PvP and tougher combat - but that's probably an "old dog" thing and this grows on you fast. Anyway, Peeps, you're doing a great service! Thanks.

That's great to hear! Sounds like a good setup to me. :D

Edited by PeepsMcJuggs

I agree with ya. i moved all my pc gear up to my living room. So playing with a keyboard and mouse is not the best idea. So i started looking at glovepie for some controller scripting. I have worked with it before for voice control for a racing game i play called iracing.com. i built a crew chief system that you would talk to and it would work on your car as you raced. Overall the system worked very well and showed me the power of glovepie. Also when i played rift i used it to run some in game marcos to never go afk. Again it worked perfect. So i used it here in SWTOR. Well it took a little time to get use to playing an MMO with a controller, but now i would not play anyother way . For pvp i am faster with the controller and can play longer. With a keyboard and mouse my hands would get very sore after a few hours of play. Now i can play 6 plus without any problems. Plus playing on my 50 inch tv in my living room is alot more relaxed. It feels like playing Dragon Age on the 360. Or anyother Great RPG built for a controller. If SWTOR would give a few more hotkey mapping i could do a little more combat. Like to see 1 to = and say like the lower bar Shift 1 to = . This would give me full control with a controller .

Heheh...I just had an idea for a completely nutso project that I'm going to have to test out over the summer, just for the hell of it:

Making a fully interactive SWTOR gaming setup using a combination of the WiiFit Balance Board and WiiMote using GlovePIE, gestures and motion capturing using KinectHacks' resources for the Kinect, head-motion mouse control using HeadbanGER's creative use of a Logitech MX Air, and VAC's voice-recognition command software.

Why, you ask? Same reason I started using a controller in the first place: just to see if I can.

I'm gonna need a faster computer...

Edited by PeepsMcJuggs

Heheh...I just had an idea for a completely nutso project that I'm going to have to test out over the summer, just for the hell of it:

Making a fully interactive SWTOR gaming setup using a combination of the WiiFit Balance Board and WiiMote using GlovePIE, gestures and motion capturing using KinectHacks' resources for the Kinect, head-motion mouse control using HeadbanGER's creative use of a Logitech MX Air, and VAC's voice-recognition command software.

Why, you ask? Same reason I started using a controller in the first place: just to see if I can.

I'm gonna need a faster computer...

Glovepie will do kinect too.. :) for the most part the voice control stuff is fun. I have done alot of the voice control scripting . My virtual crew chief script i wrote. You talk to it and it talks back. You tell it you have a problem with the car and it trys to make it better next stop.

Glovepie will do kinect too.. :) for the most part the voice control stuff is fun. I have done alot of the voice control scripting . My virtual crew chief script i wrote. You talk to it and it talks back. You tell it you have a problem with the car and it trys to make it better next stop.

Heh heh...that sounds like a lot of fun. You're giving me a lot of crazy ideas. That's rarely a good thing.

Yeah tell me about it .. I started with my voice control stuff just to do some in game typing and it turned into a 6 month project. script was 20 lines of code at the start .. Now is over 1000 lines. LOL . I still work on it from time to time. The old think tank can go over board from time to time. LOL

Yeah tell me about it .. I started with my voice control stuff just to do some in game typing and it turned into a 6 month project. script was 20 lines of code at the start .. Now is over 1000 lines. LOL . I still work on it from time to time. The old think tank can go over board from time to time. LOL

Heh heh, hence why I mentioned trying it out over the summer. Too much going on right now to start such a hare-brained scheme. :D

Speaking of too much to do...

Folks, I've been delaying this one, but I'm voluntarily dropping off the grid for the next couple of months. It's my last semester of college, and I've got too much to do with studying and trying to find time for the family to make any time for SWTOR.

In the meantime, if you need any controller assistance, I highly recommend you hit up the forums for your respective programs: there's a lot of folks there that are more than willing to assist with this stuff. Also, feel free to keep dropping questions in here: I'm sure other players will be able to help you troubleshoot.

See you guys in a few months! And happy gaming!

Ok here is my glovepie script .. To start goto http://www.glovepie.org to download the tool. then load this script to make it work . Make note this is for an xbox 360 controller . Here is the details of how the controller works..

Left Analog stick

Up = W

Left = Q

Right = E

Down = S

Right Analog Stick

Left = A

Right = d

up and down control the mouse up and down.

A, X, Y, B keys

A =1

X =2

Y=3

B=4

Lower left shift and A = 5

Lower Left shift and X = 6

Lower Left shift and Y = 7

Lower Left shift and B = 8

Left push down anlong stick = 9

back button = 0

start button = -

right dpad = =

up dpad = m

down dpad = c

left dpad = control + 1

Upper Left shift key is tab

Upper Right Shift is Space key

Lower Right shift is right click with mouse.

Right push down analog stick is auto run

Overall it works very well once you get the hang of it .. There is also room for marcos for agents. I play as a sith right now.. Below is the script .. Just copy and paste it into Glove Pie

///STAR WARS 360 CONTROLLER

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

///// Sound Files

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

//Movement and Use

//Movement - Left Stick

W = XInput1.Joy1Y > 0.2

S = XInput1.Joy1Y < -0.2

Q = XInput1.Joy1X < -0.2

E = XInput1.Joy1X > 0.2

//Aiming Control - Right Stick

a = XInput1.Joy2X < -0.2

d = XInput1.Joy2X > 0.2

Mouse.DirectInputY = Mouse.DirectInputY - 12*deadzone(XInput1.Joy2Y)

//Dpad control

Key.M = XInput.Up

Key.Equals = XInput.Right

Key.C = XInput.Down

//Left dpad control

if XInput.Left then

wait 10ms

press key.Ctrl

press key.1

wait 20 ms

release key.Ctrl

release key.1

endif

// Lower **** buttons

//= XInput.LeftTrigger

Mouse.RightButton = XInput.RightTrigger

// Upper Shift Buttons

Key.Tab = Xinput.LeftShoulder

Key.Space = Xinput.RightShoulder

// Push buttons on Analog sticks

Key.9 = XInput.LeftThumb

Key.NumLock = XInput.RightThumb

// A, X, Y, And B buttons

key.One = xinput1.A and not xinput1.LeftTrigger and not xinput1.RightTrigger // Skill One

key.Two = xinput1.X and not xinput1.LeftTrigger and not xinput1.RightTrigger // Skill Two

key.Three = xinput1.Y and not xinput1.LeftTrigger and not xinput1.RightTrigger // Skill Three

key.four = xinput1.B and not xinput1.LeftTrigger and not xinput1.RightTrigger // Skill Four

key.five = xinput1.A and xinput1.LeftTrigger and not xinput1.RightTrigger // Skill Five

key.Six = xinput1.X and xinput1.LeftTrigger and not xinput1.RightTrigger // Skill Six

key.seven = xinput1.Y and xinput1.LeftTrigger and not xinput1.RightTrigger // Skill Seven

key.eight = xinput1.B and xinput1.LeftTrigger and not xinput1.RightTrigger // Skill Eight

// Back and Start buttons

key.0 = xinput1.Back

key.Minus = xinput1.Start

Edited by mdobrowney

Speaking of too much to do...

Folks, I've been delaying this one, but I'm voluntarily dropping off the grid for the next couple of months. It's my last semester of college, and I've got too much to do with studying and trying to find time for the family to make any time for SWTOR.

In the meantime, if you need any controller assistance, I highly recommend you hit up the forums for your respective programs: there's a lot of folks there that are more than willing to assist with this stuff. Also, feel free to keep dropping questions in here: I'm sure other players will be able to help you troubleshoot.

See you guys in a few months! And happy gaming!

Say it ain't so Peeps! :( Good luck with school and the fam. Your contribution here has been invaluable. This thread should be stickied!

I've just finished the thread, and now there's brain matter on my wall.

I'm a 100% MMO beginner, and I've found that playing with the keyboard and mouse is a bit taxing; I feel like I need 67 fingers. I really want to give the controller thing a try. What I really want to know is which is more effective, the Xbox 360 controller or the PS3 controller? Or is it more of a preference thing?

Edit: I decided to go with the PS3 controller and Xpadder. So far, it's working great! Now to tweak Peep's profiles. Thanks so much, Peeps, for putting all your time into this.

The only think I'm having trouble tweaking is the camera movements. I'm currently browsing the tutorial on Xpadder to find out how to set the right stick to have inverted X axis controls, but I'm having trouble assigning the "click and move" to the direction on the pad. I'll keep looking, but if anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd love the help.

Edit#2: Figured out how to assign the click and move. :D Now I'm not going to get any sleep tonight.

Edited by SprocketSong

I salute a fellow console player o7.

Agreed.....I broke 51k GS on 360 last night playing some Kingdoms of Amalur:Reckoning.

I have had 4 surgeries on my mid section, besides bone/joint/muscle issues from 29 yrs of taking steroids for my Crohns Disease. I do a lot of gaming from my bed these days as it doesnt tend to make me hurt like sitting in a chair does.

I had to slow down on TOR due to it causing me to hurt, but something like this could definitely increase my play time.

Thanks OP. :)