Bioware, Marvel doesn't just to Avengers movies...

TheSupaCoopa

LOL! yeah.. a SUBSCRIPTION mmo with a CASH SHOP that is pushed like nothing else, that on top barely puts any money back into the game (severe lack of new content). doing crowd funding...

Yeah man im totally going to give them my 5$ so they can finally have some money to develop stuff :rak_03:

The subscription is optional though. You can play everything in the game without ever having a sub. Hell BW even allows you to purchase unlocks in game with credits so if you're really smart you can unlock everything without spending a dime.

If they made kotor3 it probably would have bombed. If you made it the same after so many years players would complain about it being outdated. If you changed it players would complain that its not the same. Gaming community is fickle like that.

Actually I doubt they could do a KOTOR 3 on the same level as the previous games.

SInce EA part of what made Bioware awesome vanished.

They wanted to cater to the masses and COD fans and didn`t care anymore about deep storytelling.

KOTOR 3 would be a dissapointment. Like Mass Effect 3 , rpg mechanics in KOTOR 3 would be gone and it would be heavily focused on action BOOM BOOM.

The subscription is optional though. You can play everything in the game without ever having a sub. Hell BW even allows you to purchase unlocks in game with credits so if you're really smart you can unlock everything without spending a dime.

But someone has to buy the unlocks with CC first.

You wanna take about a truly F2P MMO? Look up Firefall(Warning: its mediocre).

You won't ever see a major ip crowd funded. Just won't happen. No ip holder is going to leave it's fate into the unknown, where they don't have control. For every SC or whatever that comes along, there are thousands that didn't make it. And EA already has crowd funders. They're called investors. They're the ones you need to appeal to, because ultimately, their votes is what determines a products fate. Not the players.

CF gave star citizen about 70 million

Now imagine if bioware did that, so they can develop ALL the things we want... not " they want"....

CF is hard and it depends how devs approaching the people... if the dev says : I HAVE THIS VISION... well... who cares about your vision... just make a research and find out peoples vision...

Star citizen promised so much things, people asking from star wars also...

But I ve seen a couple of parodies in CF as well... One is the eternal darkness succesor, lol lol lol and the other one was Stalker succesor... lol

Edited by Oyranos

CF gave star citizen about 70 million

Now imagine if bioware did that, so they can develop ALL the things we want... not " they want"....

CF is hard and it depends how devs approaching the people... if the dev says : I HAVE THIS VISION... well... who cares about your vision... just make a research and find out peoples vision...

Star citizen promised so much things, people asking from star wars also...

Who? Star Citizen is not a majorly owned ip. As in, Chris Roberts created the whole thing. And that's because major publishers wouldn't give him money. I wouldn't tout that game as a huge success of crowd funding yet. It's long long long way off from release and the jury is out on that game.

That also doesn't address my point, once again, that Bioware doesn't have a say in where their money comes from. At all. Period. Their budgets are given to them by EA. EA is not going to crowd fund a game. They dont need to.

Edit: and to another point. Star citizen has taken 2 years to get to $70m. TOR MADE $163m in revenue last year. That's not saying much.

Edited by AmericanNate

Who? Star Citizen is not a majorly owned ip. As in, Chris Roberts created the whole thing. And that's because major publishers wouldn't give him money. I wouldn't tout that game as a huge success of crowd funding yet. It's long long long way off from release and the jury is out on that game.

Its a success when it comes to the amount of money they gather up from people.. Now if they have problems of using these money, or even getting this money... its another level and story.

If the devs are honnest and do exactly as they promised, without issues... then there is no problems.

Ive seen several times in CF, if the devs dont do what they promised, or it proved they have copyright issues, etc... They lose all the ammount of money they gather. But I think this is something bioware shouldnt have any problems.

Edited by Oyranos

BW, if you're concerned about funding, I'd like to introduce you to Crowd-Funding. Let us pitch in to the things we love. If 1 mil active players all donated $5 USD, you'd have $5 mil. That's a lot of money.

We already have this, its called Cartel Market.

But i'm with you, this game need more class story, companions story, etc.

I would not mind, if we had more class story, companions story, class companions with story, all unlocked in cartel market, for those who actualy enjoy story. Those that only care about endgame, can skip it.

Its a success when it comes to the amount of money they gather up from people.. Now if they have problems of using these money, or even getting this money... its another level and story.

If the devs are honnest and do exactly as they promised, without issues... then there is no problems.

Ive seen several times in CF, if the devs dont do what they promised, or it proved they have copyright issues, etc... They lose all the ammount of money they gather. But I think this is something bioware shouldnt have any problems.

But it would cause problems for Bioware. You're totally ignoring how corporate business works. Once again, I'll state it more obviously. Bioware, as a developer, has NO say, in how or where their budgets come from. Their budget is controlled by EA, the corporate parent company to which they are contractually obligated. EA DOES NOT NEED crowd funding. They are a multi billion dollar business. They will not source out Un vetted income sources when they don't need to. They take the revenue generated by this and all pry games in their portfolio, run their expenses, take the leftover dividends and pay their stock holders, and then split up the remainder amongst their studios in the form of operating budgets. There is no crowd funding for majorly owned IPs governed by large publishing companies. Because it's unneeded. Crowd funding is for small businesses/artisans/product producers or what not to get their idea off the ground. For every star citizen there's 1000s of failed kick starter ideas. And until star citizen releases an actual game, there's no way to determine how well it actually worked for CRI.

But it would cause problems for Bioware. You're totally ignoring how corporate business works. Once again, I'll state it more obviously. Bioware, as a developer, has NO say, in how or where their budgets come from. Their budget is controlled by EA, the corporate parent company to which they are contractually obligated. EA DOES NOT NEED crowd funding. They are a multi billion dollar business. They will not source out Un vetted income sources when they don't need to. They take the revenue generated by this and all pry games in their portfolio, run their expenses, take the leftover dividends and pay their stock holders, and then split up the remainder amongst their studios in the form of operating budgets. There is no crowd funding for majorly owned IPs governed by large publishing companies. Because it's unneeded. Crowd funding is for small businesses/artisans/product producers or what not to get their idea off the ground. For every star citizen there's 1000s of failed kick starter ideas. And until star citizen releases an actual game, there's no way to determine how well it actually worked for CRI.

Paragraphs helps ;)

Although you do have a point, would EA really wants it they have to power to inject the needed money into this game. However none producer has been able to prove the potential of the game or should I say demonstrate they can deliver it.

Then what's interesting is I've also been toying with the idea of starting a crow funding campaign to prove that SWTOR can indeed raise money provided the focus is on the right things. Considering the insane amount of SW, Kotor fans, pretty sure you can raise quite a lot of money.

Now thing is you have to work with both EA and Disney to do so, otherwise you have to do another SW MMO.

Paragraphs helps ;)

Although you do have a point, would EA really wants it they have to power to inject the needed money into this game. However none producer has been able to prove the potential of the game or should I say demonstrate they can deliver it.

Then what's interesting is I've also been toying with the idea of starting a crow funding campaign to prove that SWTOR can indeed raise money provided the focus is on the right things. Considering the insane amount of SW, Kotor fans, pretty sure you can raise quite a lot of money.

Now thing is you have to work with both EA and Disney to do so, otherwise you have to do another SW MMO.

Well, I guess good luck then

I understand that. The white man in a suit comment was me attempting to be snarky.

Snarky or not, what is with the sexist racist comment about 'white man in a suit.?' Do you think it is only 'white people' who invest in the stock market?

You don't think a man or women of color, race, or creed invest in the stock market? If you do, you are sorely mistaken. This is the problem with the US and World today, it's all about race and the perpetual use of the word to put blame on a particular gender and race for all the bad things that happen. Not only that it is used to deflect personal responsibility as it is easier to blame someone in a suit than one's self.

I for one am sick of the Al Sharpton style attacks and reasoning that people use today to justify their actions and comments because they are so downtrodden and it's that person in the suit whose color is like snow that makes millions in the stock market. It's total bovine excrement and wrong on all levels. With the exception of very few, the majority of those whom you chose to 'mention' got where they are through their own work, sweat, and tears. They earned what they had...this is ALL of them, not just the 'white man.'

Just adding my two cents:

SWTOR made a metric-<bleep>-ton of money, right? Where did that money go? Madden, and other games EA makes. Where does most of the money from SWTOR get made? Cash Shop-sorry, Cartel Market.

I think crowd sourcing would be a good way to let paying people go in and actually pay into the game itself, not paying money to go to the big company to be divided up into the other games that we don't even play.

I doubt EA would be willing to let SWTOR be funded by the players directly like that, however.

Snarky or not, what is with the sexist racist comment about 'white man in a suit.?' Do you think it is only 'white people' who invest in the stock market?

You don't think a man or women of color, race, or creed invest in the stock market? If you do, you are sorely mistaken. This is the problem with the US and World today, it's all about race and the perpetual use of the word to put blame on a particular gender and race for all the bad things that happen. Not only that it is used to deflect personal responsibility as it is easier to blame someone in a suit than one's self.

I for one am sick of the Al Sharpton style attacks and reasoning that people use today to justify their actions and comments because they are so downtrodden and it's that person in the suit whose color is like snow that makes millions in the stock market. It's total bovine excrement and wrong on all levels. With the exception of very few, the majority of those whom you chose to 'mention' got where they are through their own work, sweat, and tears. They earned what they had...this is ALL of them, not just the 'white man.'

Did I ever state it was only old white people? Nope. I was making a jab at the corrupt corporations that seem like they're lead by old white people who simply care about profits.

It was a joke, nothing more. It was not intended as an insult. I apologize if you thought it was, but it was not my intention.

Just adding my two cents:

SWTOR made a metric-<bleep>-ton of money, right? Where did that money go? Madden, and other games EA makes. Where does most of the money from SWTOR get made? Cash Shop-sorry, Cartel Market.

I think crowd sourcing would be a good way to let paying people go in and actually pay into the game itself, not paying money to go to the big company to be divided up into the other games that we don't even play.

I doubt EA would be willing to let SWTOR be funded by the players directly like that, however.

Well, its not coming out of their pockets, so its 100% profit.

If there's CF rewards for subs that are good(Like different Mounts, Crystals, Armor, etc.), more players might sub and donate. EA/BW gets positive Word of Mouth for letting the players fund additional content, and if it works, BW gets to develop content they previously didn't have the budget for, and if it works, it can become an interesting business model for other MMOs. Players get the benefit of having more content and the added psychological benefit of feeling like they had a part in developing the content.

Looks like a win-win to me.

Well, its not coming out of their pockets, so its 100% profit.

If there's CF rewards for subs that are good(Like different Mounts, Crystals, Armor, etc.), more players might sub and donate. EA/BW gets positive Word of Mouth for letting the players fund additional content, and if it works, BW gets to develop content they previously didn't have the budget for, and if it works, it can become an interesting business model for other MMOs. Players get the benefit of having more content and the added psychological benefit of feeling like they had a part in developing the content.

Looks like a win-win to me.

Is it 100% profit for EA? It's all profit on the players and SWTOR's side, I can see, it then the money from the crowd sourcing can't be touched by EA for anything not related to SWTOR, if I recall US law right (something about a massive suit from a couple years ago, I think).

If we get a way to pay direct to SWTOR, then I bet CC sales will drop, or CM sales will drop because for the most part, a lot of people are willing to pay those ridiculous prices (IMO) for the gamble boxes in the hopes that a few pennies goes into future SWTOR maintenance or expansion.

I fully support the crowd source idea, but I just have a hard time seeing EA be so willing to trade out cash for "good feels" word of mouth reports. Cash they could use to crank out those old, repetitive games that I think very few people buy now.

Maybe it was something BW should have done instead of allowing themselves to be swallowed by EA?

Meh, maybe Seasons Affected Disorder/Holiday Blues is kicking in for me a bit early this year.

Is it 100% profit for EA? It's all profit on the players and SWTOR's side, I can see, it then the money from the crowd sourcing can't be touched by EA for anything not related to SWTOR, if I recall US law right (something about a massive suit from a couple years ago, I think).

If we get a way to pay direct to SWTOR, then I bet CC sales will drop, or CM sales will drop because for the most part, a lot of people are willing to pay those ridiculous prices (IMO) for the gamble boxes in the hopes that a few pennies goes into future SWTOR maintenance or expansion.

I fully support the crowd source idea, but I just have a hard time seeing EA be so willing to trade out cash for "good feels" word of mouth reports. Cash they could use to crank out those old, repetitive games that I think very few people buy now.

Maybe it was something BW should have done instead of allowing themselves to be swallowed by EA?

Meh, maybe Seasons Affected Disorder/Holiday Blues is kicking in for me a bit early this year.

I see your point. I don't thin that everything should be crowd sourced, though, just the occasional "Bonus" content that normally isn't released, such as Class stories or new companions. It wouldn't be like every month that they'd have a new fundraiser. Maybe once or twice a year, with different rewards per fundraiser.

Maybe EA could get 10% of the donations for "their money", while the rest of it goes towards SWTOR?

What if...

Bioware/EA had never even made this game at all. Where would all of you be? What would you be doing?

What if...

4-ish years ago they had actually decided to go ahead and make a sprpg KotOR 3 instead. Would you have bought and played it?

if EA turn swtor into kotor3, it would be much better,

but em wont, cause ea is greed , em will lost lots of MONEY.

I see your point. I don't thin that everything should be crowd sourced, though, just the occasional "Bonus" content that normally isn't released, such as Class stories or new companions. It wouldn't be like every month that they'd have a new fundraiser. Maybe once or twice a year, with different rewards per fundraiser.

Maybe EA could get 10% of the donations for "their money", while the rest of it goes towards SWTOR?

I can see that working. EA greed could let that work, I think.

I still completely support crowd sourced funding, because I like to know where my money is going, and I would love to contribute to stuff like Companion expansion, class and faction expansions... Even production of CM stuff. With CF, BW could take the time and make the time worth the wait to make epic things happen.

I don't buy them, and you don't buy them, but MANY people buy them. EA is not stupid. They wouldn't keep cranking them out if they weren't wildly successful.

The grand majority of humans are mouth-breathers/cannon fodder, and LOVE repetitive, flashy stuff. Look at Las Vegas if you doubt me.

I don't buy them, and you don't buy them, but MANY people buy them. EA is not stupid. They wouldn't keep cranking them out if they weren't wildly successful.

The grand majority of humans are mouth-breathers/cannon fodder, and LOVE repetitive, flashy stuff. Look at Las Vegas if you doubt me.

Alright, "very few" was a bad choice of words, but I swear I have seen more empty shelves in the video games sections for anything not sports, and I can't remember when EA had any other game they made without absorbing another company first.

Or maybe they keep having to crank out new sports games to stay "up to date".

Reason: budget did not allow all the fancy story line we would have liked.

First it's because the budget went into making and tuning the disciplines then after the launch catastrophe they openly sated they where moving away from the 4 pillar: class based stories as they ain't got the budget nor time for that anymore.

Source?