Goals for Addressing Server Concerns

EricMusco

Hey folks,

At our fan event in Las Vegas, one of the things we stated is that we are working to address the concerns of things like queue times and uneven server populations and that we would provide an update before the end of the year. As you might expect we're not ready to tell you exactly what we are working on yet, but we did want to go into what our goals are for next year.

• To address issues of queue times across all types of content, both PvP and PvE.
  • To rethink how we approach “server separation.”
  • Remain sensitive to things like character identity.
  • The continued ability to define your chosen server playstyle, PvE, PvP, RP, RP-PvP.
  • We also would love to use this opportunity to enhance/create social systems. It’s a big ole’ galaxy and we want it to feel that way.

In the coming months we will be releasing more details. We appreciate your patience as we work towards these goals.

-eric

It was mentioned some time ago that there was 'something' in the works for GSF that was better than cross server queues. We could dream this was going to offer some form of PvE star fight combat that wasn't on rails (after all the PvE space system is dead and has been for a long time now) but.

The most obvious, easiest and least imaginative 'solution' to this is to have mega serves. From your list it seems this is the way you are looking to go, though not sure this is better than cross server queues or going to really help much but.

I'd imagine that we will have PvE, PvP, RP and PvP-RP servers.

What I would be interested to know how Character names will be dealt with? I understand this is what you mean character identity. Every merge we have had has caused people to be annoyed with losing their characters name.

Lag has been a major problem of late, if the servers can't take it now how will the hero engine survive with mega servers?

How will Conquest be dealt with? There is already issues with mega guilds by merging they will be the only ones that have a chance of competing.

When you say social systems do you mean chat bubbles and when did the engine manage to cope with this? This seems a vague notion,

And mostly why not come out and say you plan on mega servers, freeium and premium will lose their names and conquest will only be for the largest guilds.

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Updateception indeed! I know it isn't quite the full spill of details yet but at least this way we can kind of let everyone know where our heads are at :rak_03:

-eric

Thanks for the uh...update of the update Eric...not the details we want of course, but the things you mentioned will certainly make for some great drama and conspiracy threads in the coming weeks :)

I appreciate the update of the update status...

You are trying too hard. :rolleyes:

It's obvious they're still trying to work on the final details, before they decide to spill the beans with the big reveal. Get over yourself.

From not a single word on the plans to they are working on the final details and I'm trying to hard? Yeah.

Please not a megaserver. Cross server PvP/GSF and so forth? Sounds great. But I have duplicate alts across a few servers, and I am quite fond of all of them.

Also, Megaservers would require an upgrade as to how many characters we can have (currently 22 is the max, I really doubt all players have less than 22, but far more have more. My personal count, without logging in, is about 30-35 characters, including my duplicates.)

If this wound up being regional or continental megaservers, with an instance type flag you could toggle at will (PvE, PvP, RP, etc.), this could be very interesting. It would be especially so if they did some smart instance management and assignment to balance keeping instances full with keeping latency low, etc., while still condensing more of the population into a smaller number of more active instances.

wait what does this mean? Server merger!? mega server!?!

we know it's not cross server cause they already said the game engine can't handle it. It might be a prelude to the design thoughts of "SWTOR 2.0" where they either rebuild the game on a new engine or they make a new mmo on a new engine and migrate people to it.

I hope it's not a mega server with tons of phasing though. That would have to default to a pve setup, and i'm not sure what that would do for the lag/lat issue since 3.0

Please not a megaserver. Cross server PvP/GSF and so forth? Sounds great. But I have duplicate alts across a few servers, and I am quite fond of all of them.

Also, Megaservers would require an upgrade as to how many characters we can have (currently 22 is the max, I really doubt all players have less than 22, but far more have more. My personal count, without logging in, is about 30-35 characters, including my duplicates.)

I also don't care much for a server merge cause of this.

They said on a stream they was looking into it, the reason for that limit is because of possible database issues but they are now looking into it to see if it would actually really be an issue or not.

So chances are mega servers would not have the 22 char limit.

Edited by MorgenBlue

we know it's not cross server cause they already said the game engine can't handle it.

I call BS. Source please.

It might be a prelude to the design thoughts of "SWTOR 2.0" where they either rebuild the game on a new engine or they make a new mmo on a new engine and migrate people to it.

Not going to happen. And especially not going to happen as a part of what they've planned.

It's BS indeed. Bioware just happened to fire the people working on x-server 4 months after launch or reassigned them to develop the cartel market. Claiming the engine can't handle it is a cheap way out to not deliver on your promises because the game failed.

Edited by Theodulus

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6398419#edit6398419

Post #6 is one good reference. Other people have cited the engine in the past being a problem (quoting cantina tour reports), but without being a BW insider I couldn't tell you why. Seriously though, before calling BS, try google >.< I ain't always trolling.

It's BS indeed. Bioware just happened to fire the people working on x-server 4 months after launch or reassigned them to develop the cartel market. Claiming the engine can't handle it is a cheap way out to not deliver on your promises because the game failed.

#fail

Bioware said - "We've taken a hard look at Cross Server Queuing in the past and accomplishing it is a *significant* challenge that would take a lot of time away from other things we are working on. Emphasis on significant. It's not forever off the table but it's not in the plan right now."

Emphasis on significant means cartel stuff to sell.

I only hope they stop being stubborn and go the the right, logical and smart solution of cross server as they already said "It's not forever off the table but it's not in the plan right now".

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6398419#edit6398419

Post #6 is one good reference. Other people have cited the engine in the past being a problem (quoting cantina tour reports), but without being a BW insider I couldn't tell you why. Seriously though, before calling BS, try google >.< I ain't always trolling.

That post doesn't say what you think it says, and does not help your case.

That post doesn't say what you think it says, and does not help your case.

are you trolling or living in denial? SWTOR is based on a beta version of the Hero Engine, notorious for not doing cross server. The Hero Engine 2.0 is known for the megaserver concept. So what do you really think is more likely, cross server on a beta engine, or a migration in a huge patch to the updated engine that includes putting us all on a mega server?

I'm voting that they are more likely to move to Hero 2.0 and do the mega server concept. Why don't you look up some evidence of where Hero beta engine supports cross server?