Now I understand why SWTOR is an Empire Game

AlrikFassbauer

Hello,

I seemingly misunderstood the SWTOR story line completely.

Now it becomes more than ever clear to me that SWTOR is an Empire game - that's the faction the developers aimed for. NOT the Old Republic !

And here's the background : I had just a discussion regarding the time line shown in the 3 SWTOR trainers.

Until now I had thought that "Hope" was the last trailer - transporting the message that there was still Hope for The Old Republic to get onto its feet again - to be able to defeat the Empire which had strangled it for so long.

So, my thought was that the order of these trailers were like this :

Fate - Deceived - Hope

And now I have learned that I had been wrong all of these years ( I hated the "Deceived" trailer anyway, perhaps that's the reason why I never watched it more that two times).

The CORRECT orde is like this :

Fate - Hope - Deceived

The message transported like this is the following :

Fate - strike against the Republic, which is defeated

Hope - Strike against the Republic, which is defeated, except for a tiny number of survivors which are completely eradicated except for 2 persons in that trailer

Deceived Strike against the Republic, which is defeated

The message transported by these 3 trailers is this :

- The Old Republic becomes defeated

- The Empire is strong

- The Empire defeats the Republic

- The hope of Republic cizizens is destroyed

- The Empire wins in all war zones

- The Empire is the driving motor in all of this, aka "the evil makes the plot" as found on the web site of TV Tropes

- The Republic is weak

- The Republic gets beaten not only once, not only twice, but in fact 3 times ! ( Remember that Malgus won in the end on Alderaan ! - Although that is never shown directly in the trailer.)

In the end, the only possible interpretation of all of this is, that the developers were leaning to 90 % towards the Empire facion : SWTOR is an Empire game.

Its focus was NEVER on the Republic : The whole development focus has ALWAYS been on the Empire ! Which can be seen by the quality of the setting, the visuals and of the clas stories.

The goal of the developers has always been to create a game in which "the evil" is king ! This is the center of the whole game !

The goal has always ben to attract those players who preferred the Empire faction.

The "evil faction" was always meant to be the building ground on which ALL quests and stories were built upon - and the Old Republic merely is in a defensive position like a herd of sheep driven through the land by a pack of wolves !

Now it is clear to me that this game was meant to be for a certain type of players. Now I understand why faction imbalance is so utterly striking (see the statistics for that, especially in PvP). Now I understand why the Empire faction got so much better designs, so much better quality, so much more level of detail. Now I understand why the Imperial Agent's story is so much superior. Because it is an Empire story, and the goal of the game has alwys been the Empire player.

Now I understand.

Good night.

Alrik

Hello,

I seemingly misunderstood the SWTOR story line completely.

Now it becomes more than ever clear to me that SWTOR is an Empire game - that's the faction the developers aimed for. NOT the Old Republic !

And here's the background : I had just a discussion regarding the time line shown in the 3 SWTOR trainers.

Until now I had thought that "Hope" was the last trailer - transporting the message that there was still Hope for The Old Republic to get onto its feet again - to be able to defeat the Empire which had strangled it for so long.

So, my thought was that the order of these trailers were like this :

Fate - Deceived - Hope

And now I have learned that I had been wrong all of these years ( I hated the "Deceived" trailer anyway, perhaps that's the reason why I never watched it more that two times).

The CORRECT orde is like this :

Fate - Hope - Deceived

The message transported like this is the following :

Fate - strike against the Republic, which is defeated

Hope - Strike against the Republic, which is defeated, except for a tiny number of survivors which are completely eradicated except for 2 persons in that trailer

Deceived Strike against the Republic, which is defeated

The message transported by these 3 trailers is this :

- The Old Republic becomes defeated

- The Empire is strong

- The Empire defeats the Republic

- The hope of Republic cizizens is destroyed

- The Empire wins in all war zones

- The Empire is the driving motor in all of this, aka "the evil makes the plot" as found on the web site of TV Tropes

- The Republic is weak

- The Republic gets beaten not only once, not only twice, but in fact 3 times ! ( Remember that Malgus won in the end on Alderaan ! - Although that is never shown directly in the trailer.)

In the end, the only possible interpretation of all of this is, that the developers were leaning to 90 % towards the Empire facion : SWTOR is an Empire game.

Its focus was NEVER on the Republic : The whole development focus has ALWAYS been on the Empire ! Which can be seen by the quality of the setting, the visuals and of the clas stories.

The goal of the developers has always been to create a game in which "the evil" is king ! This is the center of the whole game !

The goal has always ben to attract those players who preferred the Empire faction.

The "evil faction" was always meant to be the building ground on which ALL quests and stories were built upon - and the Old Republic merely is in a defensive position like a herd of sheep driven through the land by a pack of wolves !

Now it is clear to me that this game was meant to be for a certain type of players. Now I understand why faction imbalance is so utterly striking (see the statistics for that, especially in PvP). Now I understand why the Empire faction got so much better designs, so much better quality, so much more level of detail. Now I understand why the Imperial Agent's story is so much superior. Because it is an Empire story, and the goal of the game has alwys been the Empire player.

Now I understand.

Good night.

Alrik

Return - Hope - Deceived

Hmmm that's a wierd way to look at it OP. I saw it as an ancient enemy returns, even with defeats the Republic has Hope and they are fighting back. The story is driven by evil because that what happens in Space Opera. The good set up a society that is content and at peace. Evil attacks and tries to conquer. When you go through the various storylines however, kinda like WWII where the allies initially got steam rolled by the Axis, the Republic then regroups and takes the initiative. When you look at the stories for each of the classes that is pretty clear. The Sith Inquis? More about back stabbing among the Sith. Jedi Consular? Gather an Army to take Corellia back and kick the Empire's butt. Sith Warrior? Sith internal backstabbing. Jedi Knight? Take the fight to the Empire kill the Emperor's Voice. The dark side decisions for Republic are largely "ruthlessly accomplish the victory of the Republic" the light side decisions for Empire in the end go so far that you virtually defect.

You mean the same Empire that is only surviving by some mad plan to steal Isotope-5 that could have gone wrong in so many ways, and the crazy military skills of a single reasonable Dark Councilor? The same Empire that gutted it's own intelligence arm, and is only now starting to try and correct that mistake? The same Empire that, despite Isotope-5, can only just keep the Republic at bay?

Funny you.

Hmmm that's a wierd way to look at it OP. I saw it as an ancient enemy returns, even with defeats the Republic has Hope and they are fighting back. The story is driven by evil because that what happens in Space Opera. The good set up a society that is content and at peace. Evil attacks and tries to conquer. When you go through the various storylines however, kinda like WWII where the allies initially got steam rolled by the Axis, the Republic then regroups and takes the initiative. When you look at the stories for each of the classes that is pretty clear. The Sith Inquis? More about back stabbing among the Sith. Jedi Consular? Gather an Army to take Corellia back and kick the Empire's butt. Sith Warrior? Sith internal backstabbing. Jedi Knight? Take the fight to the Empire kill the Emperor's Voice. The dark side decisions for Republic are largely "ruthlessly accomplish the victory of the Republic" the light side decisions for Empire in the end go so far that you virtually defect.

^Good post.

OP, you're over-thinking it. It's not about either side, it's about the struggle.

You mean the same Empire that is only surviving by some mad plan to steal Isotope-5 that could have gone wrong in so many ways, and the crazy military skills of a single reasonable Dark Councilor? The same Empire that gutted it's own intelligence arm, and is only now starting to try and correct that mistake? The same Empire that, despite Isotope-5, can only just keep the Republic at bay?

Funny you.

That is all true, but the story is still told more fully and driven by what the Imperial side is doing, for the most part, since launch.

And, even now, it seems the Empire is just simply promoted more by the developers.

Concrete example: Take a look at the Discipline photos used. These are what newer players will see in picking their ACs.

Republic: Almost entirely launch armors featured, and some not very flattering for the Class - imho, both the Guardian and Gunslinger look awful, compared to all the great armor available to use.

Empire: Plenty of newer adaptive gear/dyes used, and more obvious effort put into the photos. Compare the Sorc vs. Sage, or Jugg vs. Guardian, Assassin vs. Shadow.

At this point it may simply be reactionary to more people playing the Imperial side, but BW should try and remain neutral where possible. The Disciple photos certainly should make each faction look as good as it actually does. With adaptive armor, players put together really nice sets for their classes. Using old launch photos/armor doesn't do the Republic classes justice.

Edited by arunav

Um... didn't the Empire "lose" the war in the end? At least that's what it looked like after completing every class story.

They were losing, now it's unclear.

If you play through the end of the both sides of SoR, the story is pretty open-ended as to what could happen.

[...]

Um, no, the "Hope" trailer depicts the Battle of Alderaan, which the Republic won - in addition to the Jedi's arrival turning the tide in the particular skirmish we saw, at the end you see flares going up all around the planet signaling similar victories and calling in the Republic fleet to secure the planet as a whole.

The Empire had the upper hand at the beginning of the trailer, but saying that counts as a 'win' in the Imperial column is like saying the Nazis won at Normandy since they controlled it at the start of D-Day.

You may be conflating the battle shown there with the Battle of Bothawui, from the Galactic History videos, where a small group of Jedi and Republic troops were ultimately killed - but only after inflicting such massive casualties on the Empire that it slowed the Imperial advance, inspired the Republic, and shifted the momentum of the war more to the Republic's favor.

Edited by DarthDymond

Standard plot flow.

Define good guys and bad guys.

Good and bad are mostly equal. Bad guys start being bad, good guys win a few small confrontations followed by a large defeat, bad guys revel in their victory, good guys regroup and beat bad guys, good guys have teddy bears sing in a jungle while spending millions of credits in war materials for craptastic fireworks show while the hero hallucinates dead people and the scoundrel turned good guy macks on his sister.

They were losing, now it's unclear.

If you play through the end of the both sides of SoR, the story is pretty open-ended as to what could happen.

It's not unclear. We know from Canon the Empire HAS to lose. If they don't then you do not end up with a Universe where you have a single Dark Lord of the Sith and his Apprentice and said Dark Lord having to conquer the Republic from within using a conspiracy decades in the making.

Page 3 and still no Dark Helmet quote.

http://fc09.deviantart.net/images/i/2002/47/9/9/steves_-_darth_vader.gif Here you go sir!

Empire was still thriving during old republic time, so I guess that's why there's effort in some stuff. This can be something intentional indeed, because Kira Carsen companion also points out "All fashion designers in the galaxy in the dark side", maybe because the Jedi Order is more about simplicity.

After TOR, one fine day, its gonna be one mad emperor and his trusty(?) lord side kick.