The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

So am I the only Star Wars fan who endorses Disney taking over?

AhsokaTanorules

As long as J.J. Abrams doesn't screw it up.

I am also a Trekkie and I for one enjoyed Abrams Trek movies. I even thought his first Trek movie was superior to Avatar (which came out that same year).

The other day a friend of mine made a joke about the "horrors" of Disney possibly taking over Trek as well. I might get crucified by other trekkies for saying this but I for one would not be heartbroken if Disney got their claws on this as well. For one thing, hypothetically, if Disney DID take over Trek I am sure us trekkers would get back something we have all been waiting for...new TV series.

Now I don't see Disney ever commandeering more adult related stuff like Game of Thrones, Warhammer or Dune but there is one hot franchise out there which I could see Disney possibly sweeping up..not now..but perhaps in the far future after its creator has moved on....Harry Potter.

Edited by AhsokaTanorules

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for EU, was never a giant fan. I stopped reading it after that whle boring Han Solo's evil brother arc. I did dig Mara Jade (my very first favorite Star Wars character), heard the Yuuzhan Vong story was interesting but thought bringng back the evil Empire in Cade Skywalker's time was pointless and defeated the whole purpose of ROTJ.

I think people who get worked up about the EU are looking at it through the rose-tinted glasses of their favorite high points, and blocking out the volumes upon volumes of drek that came with it. :p

I think people who get worked up about the EU are looking at it through the rose-tinted glasses of their favorite high points, and blocking out the volumes upon volumes of drek that came with it. :p

From the 'renaissance' of the EU that got kicked off with Heir to the Empire in mid-1991, to the last Legacy comic which came out this past summer (that series was allowed to continue past the 'going forward everything will be Canon' announcement too), the main "Legends" continuity spanned over 23 years and hundreds of novels and comics (plus video games).

Were they all as good as Heir to the Empire or Traitor? No. But the only span I would call 'drek' was during the glut of Bantam-Spectra novels that came out from the very end of 1994 (The Crystal Star in Dec. 1994) through the early part of 1997 (Planet of Twilight in March 1997) - around two-and-a-half years out of 23 years (and even during that span there were still some quality novels and Dark Horse comics like the X-Wing series and Shadows of the Empire coming out).

The EU's critics may be looking at it through the drek-tinted glasses of the low points they remember among the volumes and volumes of content that came out over the decades.

Edited by DarthDymond

Seeing that ****** lighsaber with emmiters that emulate medieval longsword already is a bad sign, so .. yea...

On the other hand seeing sith and jedi in a movie not only in games is always cool so i don't know...

How the hell can anyone use that and not cut his hand off?

Your hand rarely if ever touches the cross guard unless you want it to. To do so would limit you control. (I used to take historical fencing here's a primer http://www.thearma.org/essays/Longsword_Differs_From_Modern_Fencing.html).

There are maneuvers where you may intentionally use the hilt but incidental contact is rare. I was actually more up set with the old saber design tbh. Having done Olympic style fencing (foil and saber) as well as with a Long sword I know damn well that I would have had broken or removed fingers without some form of guard.

Nowhere near as annoyed as seeing so many "Am I the only one ..." posts. ;)

Yes, you are the only one in the entire world who thinks that way. Couldn't possibly be another.

The last 3 movies were so terrible I am sure M Night Shyamalan could have made them feel epic by comparison.

Edited by Tamanous

Nowhere near as annoyed as seeing so many "Am I the only one ..." posts. ;)

Yes, you are the only one in the entire world who thinks that way. Couldn't possibly be another.

The last 3 movies were so terrible in my opinion I am sure M Night Shyamalan could have made them feel epic by comparison in my opinion.

Fixed.

I could believe that since I did not hate on Avatar as badly as its fanboys did.

Quite ironic that it's usually the fanbois that do most of the bashing of a movie in their favorite franchise. But then again, fans believe they own the franchise because they are a fan and they know better than its creator.

Anyways, as far as Episode 7 trailer, I can't say it was good or bad, it was too vague even for a teaser. I liked the insight into seeing that they are going forward with the universe look and design and that things look like they have evolved, much like they would in real life. I also like seeing a smart lightsaber design, for once, and get a laugh out of the people who will go and defend other types of light weapons and saber designs, especially the stupid saberstaff or lightwhip, yet the crossguard is the straw that broke the camels back. Honestly, if it was Lucas, and not JJ, people would eat it up, but since people are incapable of forming their own opinions in this day and age, and follow the crowd that makes the most noise to look like one of the cool kids, there you go.

As far as Disney, people have a incredibly stupid and misguided belief that Disney is a kiddie company. And people forget that Disney owns Lionsgate, you know, the company that made the recent Dredd movie that had enough blood, guts and gore in it to make Freddy blush. Disney also made the Pirates movies, and those movies weren't exactly shy about horror, and shock value either. They also forget that the new Marvel movies have been quite violent as well, and if anything, if it just isn't left under the LucasArts logo, the next Star Wars film will have a Lionsgate logo on it.

Edited by Silverspar

As far as Disney, people have a incredibly stupid and misguided belief that Disney is a kiddie company. And people forget that Disney owns Lionsgate, you know, the company that made the recent Dredd movie that had enough blood, guts and gore in it to make Freddy blush. Disney also made the Pirates movies, and those movies weren't exactly shy about horror, and shock value either. They also forget that the new Marvel movies have been quite violent as well, and if anything, if it just isn't left under the LucasArts logo, the next Star Wars film will have a Lionsgate logo on it.

Yes because blood and/or horror equals non-kiddy right?

The complaint about Disney is about painfully corny and streamlined concepts , themes and vibes , not a simple use of blood,gore and/or horror.

Edited by Kaedusz

So the complain is that Disney is too much like Lucas to make a good Star Wars movie?

Yeah. One also has to ask IronmanIronman 3...yeah that was a kiddie movie...focus on PTSD and all. Disney hasn't been the company some time. Essentially the whole Marvel franchise (except X-Men) Maleficent, Dimension Films (of Sin City fame) is also a Disney Property.

Long story short...some people have a completely rose colored lenses tainted view of hero worship when it comes to George Lucas. If not they would know that there is NO WAY Disney could do anything worse. George was great when it came to an overall concept, the special effects etc. however his writing was plebian and his directing of actors bordered on the amateurish.

Yeah. One also has to ask IronmanIronman 3...yeah that was a kiddie movie...focus on PTSD and all. Disney hasn't been the company some time. Essentially the whole Marvel franchise (except X-Men) Maleficent, Dimension Films (of Sin City fame) is also a Disney Property.

I don't think Iron Man 3 was a kiddie movie...it may have been a bit of a family type movie, but not a kiddie movie exactly. But then what could you expect? They weren't going to make it dark and gritty. (that doesn't fir Iron Man well, anyway) Ghost Rider on the other hand is a character they kiddy'd down in the movies. Not that the movies were great in the first place.

Long story short...some people have a completely rose colored lenses tainted view of hero worship when it comes to George Lucas. If not they would know that there is NO WAY Disney could do anything worse. George was great when it came to an overall concept, the special effects etc. however his writing was plebian and his directing of actors bordered on the amateurish.

Yeah, I guess we could call it the "Roddenberry Factor". (I would because I've had similar issues with Trek fans proclaiming that everything Gene Roddenberry did was super awesome even when it was completely stupid). Just to come close to how bad the PT is Disney would have to double the Jar Jar, have Ewoks all over the place and pod races all of the time. I don't know what the movie will be like but no matter what I'm sure we'll see many a thread about it in the future.

I don't think Iron Man 3 was a kiddie movie...it may have been a bit of a family type movie, but not a kiddie movie exactly. But then what could you expect? They weren't going to make it dark and gritty. (that doesn't fir Iron Man well, anyway) .

Iron Man 3 wasn't kiddy movie or family movie it was a plain sucky movie that made Stark look like an idiot, Mandarin like a loser and had the worst, overcontrived action scenes that made Michael Bay seem artistic by comparison. I actually thought they were trying to make it dark and gritty but ultimately failed. And as bad as this movie was I fail to see any kind of kiddy element what with the graphic death scenes and lack of cute characters (or any well made characters even).

We have yet to see what Episode 7 will become. But I'm more optimistic, in the end, it will breath new life into SW universe.

Still, there is chance it will be similiar neither to OT nor to PT( of course, It will not be the same, but they might save the spirit of these movies ).

What is more thrilling now when we can't say much about incoming movies, is retcon( maybe temporarily for some, permanentely for other stuff ) of EU.

Honestly, I'm not grieving about post-ROTJ books being not canon anymore. It had some pretty decent ideas, but for me story in general was a little inconsistent. I don't feel that epicness of the movies when i think about post-ROTJ stuff( with exceptions ). I can't remeber any Sith I like or deem worthy of being acr-villain, aside from Darth Caedus( not that I like the character, but I think his story is pretty epic ).

Well, we had Sidious and Dark Empire, but honestly, it's ridiclious. Enough said. Remeber Force Hyperstorm at least. And it wasn't the worst thing in the series.

Well, I can't say the same about pre-movies era. It had it's downfalls, but in general it was pretty decent story( although I don't like New Sith Wars, but they are necessary for Darth Bane trilogy - one of my favourite Star Wars books ).

And pretty obvious that I like Old Republic era. Otherwise, I wouldn't been hanging out here. Honestly, Old Republic era - is the most interesting EU era. And Disney is not acknowledging it as canon at the moment. Retcon of that era would be a big loss to Star Wars lore.

In conclusion, I guess Disney taking over was a ''move on now or stay here forever'' type of thing. Well, yes, It can get things worse. But if we hadn't that chance, then SW universe would not see further interesting develepment for sure.

Edited by LordCJK

Iron Man 3 wasn't kiddy movie or family movie it was a plain sucky movie that made Stark look like an idiot, Mandarin like a loser and had the worst, overcontrived action scenes that made Michael Bay seem artistic by comparison. I actually thought they were trying to make it dark and gritty but ultimately failed. And as bad as this movie was I fail to see any kind of kiddy element what with the graphic death scenes and lack of cute characters (or any well made characters even).

I don't think there was any death in IM3 that was so bad it would disturb kids. But hey, kids are wussies nowadays so maybe so. I don't think the movie was that bad, but YMMV. It could have been worse...imagine trying to make the Mandarin as he appears in the comics? I don't think that would work, but its all speculation so it doesn't matter. (I didn't like the comic book version of the Extremis storyline for my own reasons, so I'm glad they didn't exactly follow it, too).

It was still better than the Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones or Revenge of the Sith. I'm sure theres a way but I don't see Disney making a new Star Wars movie as soul crushingly bad as those turds.

Of course it will be good for the franchise! it's going to go on like crazy now and tons of stuff is going to come out and keep going. This was the greatest thing that could have happened to Star Wars. Plus George Lucas gave all that money to charity. Not such a bad man after all. That's just ridiculous nerd rage with no logic that's mad at George and the disney deal.

Of course it's good. I was hoping it would go through and fully endorse it also.

On a note, I'm hoping, and I hate to say this, that another Star Wars MMO is put together and backed by Disney when the movie comes out, as everything in this game will be one of those "What if." episodes. The canon of Star Wars is changing big time and this game will not reflect that (They put a **** ton of money into voice overs, which was a mistake in my book.).

On a note, I'm hoping, and I hate to say this, that another Star Wars MMO is put together and backed by Disney when the movie comes out, as everything in this game will be one of those "What if." episodes. The canon of Star Wars is changing big time and this game will not reflect that (They put a **** ton of money into voice overs, which was a mistake in my book.).

Even if they didn't do voice overs they wouldn't be able to reflect disney's canon because in Disney's Canon currently there is no TOR. They'd have to change the setting/lore significantly. Something bioware can't do. Voice overs or not it doesn't really matter.

Everything in the EU was always a 'what if', subject to being totally voided at any time if George Lucas, or now Disney, decided so.

I think using any Ironman movie would be in reference to how bad the new Star Wars movie actually could turn out, and to that note adding the discussion of a female Thor blatantly disregarding Scandinavian actual folklore and history in one swift move!! That's how bad the new SW movie could turn out . . . With Disney at the helm . . .

But on the other hand I'm putting my trust to the credit mongers here, by far is the most creditworthy and wealthiest fans are among the OT fans and since SW; Rebels is in motion to recruit the younger fan base and providing toys to the franchise I hope that 'urge' at Disney is satisfied!?

So my hope is that the greed of Disney actually gives us a Star Wars movie with a mature approach, intelligent dialogue and an appropriate respect for a franchise that have been so Fan driven as Star Wars has been - the greatest question we all want answered is really what in the EU will be confirmed and/or disregarded/dismissed!!!

The other question is how the Movie will be received in the different SW fans generations? The OTs, the Prequel fans, the TCW fans and the hardcore EU fans that filled up the 20 years gap between the trilogies!??

and then there's JJ Binks .. sorry Abrams, Well, he 'forced' me to look on Star Trek with a whole new perspective, I enjoyed it, but on the other hand , I'm not a Trekkie . . .so we know the craftsmanship will be solid, we got one of the writers from E5 . . . But to this day Irvin Kershners is the one who made the best SW movie, the one that made SW fly beyond Lucas!! That's the legacy Disney and Abrams must top