Nostalgia - let's travel back to 1.0

Cotlu-Hunlon

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Five star thread, OP.

I remember the excitement I felt upon acquiring my first Trooper chestpiece that came with a buttcape, the exhilarating Tionese Patroller's Cuirass. I was so sad when I outleveled it...and then I found that the moddable Outcast Chestguard and Electrum Onslaught Chestguard had the same model. YESSS.

Also, remember when Commandos had no interrupt? And no combat rez? And Interrogator (boss in Directive 7) had that hilarious game-breaking bug where he'd spew endless Cyborg Sith Warrior mobs at the group?

Good times.

Yes! Moddble belt and bracers were the moast amazing treasure you could find back in the day.

I recall being able to make modable gear and critting augment slots. The first time anyone had a saber with an augment slot! I sold the first one to a guildy for 1M -- half the going rate....for about a week. I refunded him most of his money a week later, heh.

Acquiring a Korealis Commander through PvP....man, I was a ****** back then.

The Willpower cron on Corellia. F that.

I remember the excitement I felt upon acquiring my first Trooper chestpiece that came with a buttcape

Buttcape. I shall never forget this word and I will make it a mission to try and fit in this glorious phrase almost every day of the rest of my life.

Edited by Cotlu-Hunlon

So, had time to think of everything from way back in Vanilla swtor. <3

When coming to the end of the agent story line for chapter 1, having to send in your companion to grab and bring back Jadus because everytime you tried to target him and he was in your face, you got 'cannot see target'

Doing the side quest on Dromund Kaas, after getting sprint to remove the bombs all around the statue area and not knowing if you wait too long, they actually explode in your hands.

Having to ask gen chat on the beginning world how to get your companion back because they died during the fight.

Spending over 20-30k PER mod removal from moddable gear such as Tionese or Columi.

Having to actually DO the mechanics on the FIRST boss of EV SM (you know spread out) so you wouldn't get killed from the red circles or the boss flinging you away from it.

Having to stick to a certain class or faction because you could ONLY play that class or faction if you liked the look of a certain species. My first character was an agent because you could only be an agent or bounty hunter as a Chiss.

Actually, sitting there, and reading what each class did, was about, etc before choosing your very first toon ever.

Running from start to finish in Tatooine because you either had enough for the speeder training, or enough for the mount only.

Needing help on your last class boss because he/she/it was hard as hell with you only wearing greens/blues.

Finding where your advanced class trainer was because you actually took the time to follow the quest chain, click on every single npc with a quest marker and go slow.

Feeling a great sense of pride for finishing your chapter 1 story, earning your Legacy last name and forgetting all about it because all you saw was 'legacy coming SOON tm'

Doing the Black Talon/Esseles for the first time and wondering what social points were.

Getting sprint at level 14 and zooming everywhere.

Cussing at your computer because you had 4 Hutt comms, 2 dromund Kaas comms, 4 balmorra comms, etc but never having enough of a certain planet comm to actually be able to upgrade much.

Thinking that 30 people on the fleet at prime time was a GOOD day.

Sorry I don't understand, Are you implying computer game characters actually feel pain? Computer game characters that are continuously beaten on, die and then come back to life? Should I feel guilty for putting my computer game characters through so much pain and misery for my own entertainment?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the person you quoted was being silly. He knows his merc can't actually feel any real life pain. He was having a fun little moment of role playing. I don't believe he meant that his merc actually feels everything he puts his merc through.

I, myself, RP my characters. Saying how jumping off a cliff must have hurt horribly or such. Do they TRULY feel it? No they don't, but after a while, a majority of us begin having feelings towards our characters. I don't mean love and wanting to have sex with them, but as if they were our children or our favorite pet, or just anything really.

Does his comment make sense now?

How about those old moves that you could only use on stunned or incapacitated targest like Headshot on the gunslinger. I so enjoyed the animation on the Sage's (Same as the Knight's interrupt).

Getting your ship for the first time and having that musical intro and pan around. Plus the first ship tour by C2-N2 or 2V-R8. I remember first thinking, "Awesome! I got a second companion!" before realizing that they weren't true companions.

Feeling slightly disappointed at seeing a higher level play of your class with a spoiler-y companion out on fleet. Well, getting Risha as a companion felt spoiler to my Chapter 1 Gunslinger at the time.

Great Thread

I remember when I first encountered another player on a planet. It was obviously pre-server merge, ran into some guy in the market area of Alderaan. It was so rare to see another player that we both stopped and had a chat. I think we both crafted a few bits for each other IIRC

Also remember the first time I ever saw another player with a speeder - think it was on Na Shadaa but could be wrong. Prior to that I don't think I knew that it was possible to get a speeder...

The good old days...

Edited by LingBa

Great Thread

I remember when I first encountered another player on a planet. It was obviously pre-server merge, ran into some guy in the market area of Alderaan. It was so rare to see another player that we both stopped and had a chat. I think we both crafted a few bits for each other IIRC

I remember encountering my first enemy player in the world. I was questing through Alderaan on my main Gunslinger and I found a Juggernaut standing looking out over a canyon by the bridges. I got scared quick and backtracked, not expecting to see anyone. I skirted him and went on my way.

The second player I saw was an embattled Sorcerer on Quesh. This time I was more bold and killed him.

Quite a rush, though!

My only guess is it looked like the current Fusion Missile animation, but I'm not sure. Is there a GIF saved somewhere for posterity who missed this apparently hilarious wonder?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZQerOSv7pw

Here is some truly ancient footage from beta, notice the different font, and also that was the only option for the UI if you wanted more quickbar slots - they had to be on the left and right side of the screen vertical like that - no UI editor

Love this vid. Listen to that rocket being launched. Listen to that BOOOM. Look at the massive explosion. Just look at that rocket launcher mounted on her back. This and faction60's other PvP vid was the reason I wanted to play an Arsenal Merc and the reason I even bought this game in the first place.

And then once I bought the game Bioware betrayed me by taking away the main reason I bought the game in the first place.

Didn't the endless loud Tracer Missile noise start to annoy you after the first 1000 casts? It's quite a shrill, metallic sound, much prefer the smoother version now, plus the fact it comes from the wrist which is classic bounty hunter.

When the game was first released, there was no bind timer. The minute you bought it, you had three choices:

Keep it, destroy it or sell it back for a measly amount. :o

No wonder people left.

In all seriousness though, Wicked, I have a little confession to make. Without the Darth Marr avatar, it took me 3 days to realize this was you.

Edited by ThirdDementor

No wonder people left.

You jest but purchasing the wrong armor set pieces and having to suck it up was costly at the time. :p

In all seriousness though, Wicked, I have a little confession to make. Without the Darth Marr avatar, it took me 3 days to realize this was you.

Yavin 4 is inbound. Time to pay my respects to Naga Sadow. :D

No it didn't annoy me, and don't presume that it should have.

Deliberately Dense™ :D

Though I'm on your side here no need to push out at me.

I ended up deleting my sage after the Project animation was changed, it completely ruined the feel of the class for me so I know how you feel.

The day Sprint was made baseline at level 1 was a day to rejoice. At least for subscribers. Memories from before that glorious day should not be recalled.

Except that by giving everything good at once, you run out of things to give later on. Things to look forward and incentives to push me to level on :cool:

For the fellow RPers,

Remember the following feels?

• Finding a level 28ish Sith with the Tatooine Planetary gear on, requesting an apprentice.
  • Having to do a duel fest against other acolytes to show your strength, and getting extremely frustrated when you lost the duel to a level 10, only being level 7.
  • The thrill of being the superior Acolyte/Padawan on Korriban/Tython for just being level 10-15 and walking around the Academy/Temple with your advanced class, and usually your two lightsabers out permanently

And for the PvE/PvP fans

• When you got into your first PvP match, and didn't know what the **** you were doin'.
  • Finding a buddy early on and doing everything together, until one of you switches factions because of how cool it was to be Sith.
  • Realizing that not all Empire classes required your character to be body size 4, even though you saw them in the beta videos being Body size 4.
  • Being around 10-14 and being the "Go-to guy" of the evening if someone wanted help on a heroic, just to have that superior feeling.
  • Making a toon with a username style name, and thinkng it was the coolest **** ever to kill someone as "Yourmom".
  • And lastly, getting to max level and standing around on the starter planet of your class to watch other people JOG by just as you did, grinding quests and killing mobs in hopes that another green item will drop, just for the nostalgia feeling.

For the fellow RPers,

Remember the following feels?

• Finding a level 28ish Sith with the Tatooine Planetary gear on, requesting an apprentice.
  • Having to do a duel fest against other acolytes to show your strength, and getting extremely frustrated when you lost the duel to a level 10, only being level 7.
  • The thrill of being the superior Acolyte/Padawan on Korriban/Tython for just being level 10-15 and walking around the Academy/Temple with your advanced class, and usually your two lightsabers out permanently

And for the PvE/PvP fans

• When you got into your first PvP match, and didn't know what the **** you were doin'.
  • Finding a buddy early on and doing everything together, until one of you switches factions because of how cool it was to be Sith.
  • Realizing that not all Empire classes required your character to be body size 4, even though you saw them in the beta videos being Body size 4.
  • Being around 10-14 and being the "Go-to guy" of the evening if someone wanted help on a heroic, just to have that superior feeling.
  • Making a toon with a username style name, and thinkng it was the coolest **** ever to kill someone as "Yourmom".
  • And lastly, getting to max level and standing around on the starter planet of your class to watch other people JOG by just as you did, grinding quests and killing mobs in hopes that another green item will drop, just for the nostalgia feeling.

It's funny, not a single one of those resonated with any experiences I have had in all the time playing this game :) Never played on an RP server so that must have something to do with it