Ability Bloat: Being Addressed?

Gaff

Just wondering if ability bloat is finally being taken care of with this new talent tree shake-up. Most skills don't add depth to the combat, they're just something extra to click. Would be nice not to have 24+ keybinds.

The MMO that this new talent tree is being copied from, we all know which one :p, has recently dealt with ability bloat. Perhaps we won't have to wait as long as that?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed. A lot of the skills should be baked into the class/spec as Procs or as flat stat differences. We don't need an ability for it.

The abilities that actually do something interesting should remain, of course.

Just wondering if ability bloat is finally being taken care of with this new talent tree shake-up. Most skills don't add depth to the combat, they're just something extra to click. Would be nice not to have 24+ keybinds.

The MMO that this new talent tree is being copied from, we all know which one :p, has recently dealt with ability bloat. Perhaps we won't have to wait as long as that?

There is a fine line between reducing bloat and dumbing the game down. Sure, the amount of abilities is high but many specs only use a fraction of those within their rotation and another fraction used for specific situations. For the most part I don't see the issue unless you run several specs and need all the abilities bound at once.

I don't think the team has evolved to that point yet. They'll get there, but it takes them a while...

They have already dealt with it. Most abilities they are adding will only be replacing another ability in the rotation 'cause it is better in every single way (Ligtning Strike and Lightning Bolt, Crushing Darkness and Demolish, Unload and Blazing Bolt, Railshot and Mag Shot).

It isn't dumbing the game down though. It's a situation of "less is more". If we had fewer abilities that worked differently due to procs or changes of a character's state it would be more interesting than having 30+ situational abilities that do nothing more than give some stat changes or some extra damage at the expense of an ability slot, a keybind and screen space. Just for the sake of fake depth.

As for an example this is a screenshot from my UI on my Assassin. Haven't redone his talents since the patch (thus the couple of empty slots). Too much stuff:

http://i.imgur.com/e9UtLqT.jpg

A lot of that doesn't need to be there if certain things were baked into the class/spec.

With the free skills, I'm buying everything and then really working on a tight rotation. There are skill I thing would be useful that I am not using simply because I forget about them. Now that I've played with most ACs up to 55, I have a pretty good idea of what ones I won't use.

Anyone who has played a sentinel or marauder doesn't need to ask what bloat? These 2 classes are an example unto themselves. If you need a concrete example, go over to Dulfy & check the class rotations/priorities. Couple this with the fact that F2P (& possibly preferred - I don't know as I'm a sub) don't even get a full compliment of talent bars in the UI without spending money & you can quickly understand the problem.

The other classes are significantly less bloated with my caveat being I haven't played a juggernaut or guardian at high levels.

They have already dealt with it. Most abilities they are adding will only be replacing another ability in the rotation 'cause it is better in every single way (Ligtning Strike and Lightning Bolt, Crushing Darkness and Demolish, Unload and Blazing Bolt, Railshot and Mag Shot).

Mag shot? I don't recall hearing that on the stream. And if they replace railshot I'll be sad. That's probably one of my favorite abilities.

Anyone who has played a sentinel or marauder doesn't need to ask what bloat? These 2 classes are an example unto themselves. If you need a concrete example, go over to Dulfy & check the class rotations/priorities. Couple this with the fact that F2P (& possibly preferred - I don't know as I'm a sub) don't even get a full compliment of talent bars in the UI without spending money & you can quickly understand the problem.

The other classes are significantly less bloated with my caveat being I haven't played a juggernaut or guardian at high levels.

I dont remember for F2P but preferred get 4 bars. I've never used more than 3 on any of my toons and the 4th bar is just a bunch of random stuff not related to combat so none of it is keybound. The "closest" to ability bloat would be an annihilation marauder, and I wouldn't even call that bloated. This game is rather light on its abilities compared to other MMO's of similar design.

'Streamlining' is the last thing I want. I still regret the loss of earlier removed abilities. When the tried that in DA2, I loathed the result. If you don't like an ability, then take it off your toolbar, no need to ask that everyone have to. They're telegraphing procs in 3.0. If they remove abilities so that we don't even have to think about our rotation, I might as well take a nap and let the dog do most of my fighting for me. Edited by errant_knight

Considering a full 3 action bars would be 36 abilities, that's not a ringing endorsement.

You consider 36 different ability to much? How many abilities do you actually use? On my 36 slots I have med pack, stim, wz stim, wz medpack, huttball throw, speeder, regen, buff, QT, jetpack and than I have my abilities. Most of the abilities are situational.

Edited by Warrgames

You consider 36 different ability to much?

FAR too many. But I see there's a clash of ideals in this thread. Some of you guys feel playing a piano is a fun thing to do in a video game or shows some level of 'skill' or 'ability'. I'm more in the line of what other recent MMOs do where the 'skill' is in packaging what it is you have available to you - not bringing along the entire toolbox and being able to memorize where the screwdriver is vs torque wrench.

Disciplines actually is a step in the modern direction, but I have a feeling we still get too many base abilities in our class/AC for it to be that noticeable. We'll have to see.

Edited by hadoken

FAR too many. But I see there's a clash of ideals in this thread. Some of you guys feel playing a piano is a fun thing to do in a video game or shows some level of 'skill' or 'ability'. I'm more in the line of what other recent MMOs do where the 'skill' is in packaging what it is you have available to you - not bringing along the entire toolbox and being able to memorize where the screwdriver is vs torque wrench.

Disciplines actually is a step in the modern direction, but I have a feeling we still get too many base abilities in our class/AC for it to be that noticeable. We'll have to see.

Games where you just use 6-8 abilities is incredibly boring.

Not seeing the big deal. You can adjust your screen to have as few slots as you like, no one forces you to use abilities, so why does one person's preference for less have to affect everyone?

That's a great idea. You can just prefer to suck at the game if you don't like using all the abilities. Good option, there. Particularly if you play in groups in an MMO. I'm sure that won't upset anyone at all.