Togruta Officially Confirmed as Next Playable Species! (More-or-Less)

CelCawdro

You don't seriously believe that they've been working on it for a year, right? I mean... I had a higher opinion of you than that. It's been explained a dozen times. You claimed to have some knowledge of how this works.

So... you're just being purposefully obtuse, right? You don't actually think that...

No I don't, nor did I say that.

Taking this long to get a new head into the game troubles me for a couple reasons - it means that Cathar didn't sell very well and it also means they don't have the staff to dedicate a minimal amount of time to a new head model - minimal is subjective of course, but it's not a 1+ year project, I suspect it could be completed in under 2-weeks by most professional modellers.

It also doesn't bode well for things I do want, like a new WZ - they pitched the new Huttball about a full year before it was released as well...if we're 1+ year out from tiny reveals (and even you must admit that a new skin for a head is a tiny thing), I'm worried...this game doesn't have the content to keep many players waiting 1 year + for minor updates.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I don't, nor did I say that.

Excellent. So, we agree that its likely that it just wasn't a priority and that it wouldn't take much time to do. And thus... adding anything else would also just be a matter of scheduling. The fact that Task A wasn't a priority for nine months doesn't actually imply that Task B would also be set aside for nine months.

And then we could also mention that the modeling is not the most labor intensive part of creating a new race. And the notion that feature releases are normally scheduled with conservative estimates of resource availability. And then we could rehash that same discussion about how actual release dates are usually set by marketing and project planners, not by simply calculating how long it takes developers to finish. And then you have the question of exactly what the "Costume Designer" might be and how this might impact race models.

At least we're all being logical and realistic here. Good to see.

Excellent. So, we agree that its likely that it just wasn't a priority and that it wouldn't take much time to do. And thus... adding anything else would also just be a matter of scheduling.

At least we're all being logical and realistic here. Good to see.

No, not really. I don't assume it wasn't a priority...I assume they don't have much of a crew there to get things done in reasonable amounts of time.

I'm logically concluding that based on what I've seen recently.

I am not overly familiar with the Star Wars races. Some may call me ignorant, others will be very surprised considering my lack of knowledge. I don't even know what the green little thing with big ears and great light saber skills is (I am joking).

I knew what a Togruta was, but the name wasn't telling me anything at first, so I looked it up on Google images. Long story short, I found some disturbing images to say the least.

Regarding the aditional species... I don't know what to say really. I would've loved a Hutt but oh well, maybe on 04.01.2015 (MM/DD/YY) they will announce it. Wink wink.

Edited by aschiopu

bioware has stated that the only species that will be playable must be capable of speaking galactic basic and have a humanoid body type, so scratch rodians hutts yodas species sullustans and geonosians off your wishlist and replace with Neimoidian, Cerean, Neti, Nautolan, Vurk, and possibly even Rishii, i just pray they never put the gungans in the war...

Rodians and Sullustans have humanoid bodies, only their heads are weird. So they could work too, if only they spoke Basic. I think that is physically possible, at least for Rodians, since they can speak Huttese, which is close to Basic. Yoda species are probably only left out because they are too small. Rishii are big birds, so less likely to be added as playable.

I'd play a Gungan if it was released! :t_smile:

Edited by Strajder

Rodians and Sullustans have humanoid bodies, only their heads are weird. So they could work too, if only they spoke Basic. I think that is physically possible, at least for Rodians, since they can speak Huttese, which is close to Basic. Yoda species are probably only left out because they are too small. Rishii are big birds, so less likely to be added as playable.

And truthfully, they've stated neither. The basic speaking requirement and the humanoid body shapes are merely requirements I used in my polls based on the simple logistics of this topic and what is plausible at this point in SW:TOR's development.

And honestly, I think Gungans are cool. Jar Jar is grating, but Tarpals? Awesome.

Droids should have been the next race, after all droids are main plot line, starring roles.

This is just going to be a clipping nightmare and contrary to that "clique padded web poll" this will be one of the least played races.

I can already see the posts:

* Fix Hood Clipping

* Fix Hat Clipping

* Since you screwed up clipping make hide headgear F2P

Droids should have been the next race, after all droids are main plot line, starring roles.

This is just going to be a clipping nightmare and contrary to that "clique padded web poll" this will be one of the least played races.

I can already see the posts:

* Fix Hood Clipping

* Fix Hat Clipping

* Since you screwed up clipping make hide headgear F2P

I think Cathar holds that title and will continue to hold that title even after Togruta are released. No one asked for Cathar to be added and they didn't even look like the NPC cathar. Togruta on the other hand have been asked for time and time again.

I think Cathar holds that title and will continue to hold that title even after Togruta are released. No one asked for Cathar to be added and they didn't even look like the NPC cathar. Togruta on the other hand have been asked for time and time again.

way back in beta I believe the devs DID hold an actual poll. And the top most requested race was in fact the Cathar. Second on the list was Togruta.

Any "informal" polls started by players since then mean very little beyond a wish list. The official results are what mattered and which is what were used.

Cathar has been the mosted requested prior to game release and after.

Everyone got to it before me, but I'll add for giggles that indeed Cathar was requested (I wanted them early) heavily by the player base during one of the official polls.

It is a bit annoying that there are hair styles and skin types in game of Cathar that you can't choose to make yourself. Silly.

way back in beta I believe the devs DID hold an actual poll. And the top most requested race was in fact the Cathar. Second on the list was Togruta.

Any "informal" polls started by players since then mean very little beyond a wish list. The official results are what mattered and which is what were used.

I wasn't playing in Beta so I'll take your word for it. The second half of it still stands the player cathar doesn't look quite like the npc versions for example the eyes looks nothing like the NPC eyes and we don't even get the hair style most cathar seem to wear.

Rodians and Sullustans have humanoid bodies, only their heads are weird. So they could work too, if only they spoke Basic. I think that is physically possible, at least for Rodians, since they can speak Huttese, which is close to Basic.

Actually, they can both speak Basic. There's at least one Sullustan in game that speaks Basic and Clone Wars established that Rodians can speak Basic. The latter might need to be pitch shifted, however.

Oh boy! I have always, always wanted to level a Jedi Consular as a Togruta! Can't wait!

No, really, these are great news for me. The lack of interesting playable species was always one of my personal problems with SWTOR (hence, all my toons are humans apart from a Pureblood Inquisitor). The addition of the Cathar was welcome though I, in particular, was not a fan of the species so I didn't roll one. But I've wanted to have a Togruta and a Nautolan as playable species since before launch and I'm very happy with the news :D

I can give you one single reason to possibly be excited about this; they're actually willing to add more playable species. That's about it though. Unfortunately playing different species is mostly pointless in TOR, it's almost only looks. And if you put on a helmet you don't even have that. So yeah, people who aren't excited for Togruta is unlikely to have their minds changed.

For those of us that play games for fun and a fondness of the franchise (Star Wars, in this case), we don't exactly need a practical reason to play Togruta.

• 2 weeks later...
I wonder if a Togruta Inquisitor will have special dialogue with Ashara? Or if a Togruta from any Republic class will have special dialogue from the couple of NPCs on Taris? Or is that asking too much?

Class Dialogue won't change it is the same no matter what race you choose it's the down side to having voices attached to classes instead of races.

hello, I have been keeping an eye on the Togruta Playable race for quite some time and now that I know that it will be coming out sometime this year I want to know a few things. first: When exactly is the Approximate date that it will be released. and Second, will it just be a bonus class where you'd have to pay cartel coins to unlock it no matter what or will it be assigned to a specific class?

first: When exactly is the Approximate date that it will be released

There is no firm date at this time the best guess is Fall-ish (maybe late summer maybe early winter)

Second, will it just be a bonus class where you'd have to pay cartel coins to unlock it no matter what or will it be assigned to a specific class?

It would be similar to the Cathar unlock

Edited by The_Wulff